Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?

Read 28653 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,279 posts | 1513 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?
      Reply #138: Mar 03, 2015 10:26:31 pm
      It would be rather nice, don''t you think ?    :angel:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,270 posts | 761 
      Reply #139: Mar 03, 2015 11:02:10 pm
      I think the FA Cup would be a great start, for Brendan. After all LFC is supposed to be about winning trophies, that is what the fans want to see. Whilst a top four place is what the owners really want, to make more money for FSG.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #140: Mar 03, 2015 11:28:27 pm
      It's possible that we neither win a cup or finish in 4th or better.

Still would not want another manager.

Noice swan!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #141: Mar 04, 2015 03:53:06 am
      FA Cup would be lovely but look at Arsenal, in the long run it means very little. Top 4 is priority for me although I couldn't bare losing to the mancs in the final.

Yeah look at Arsenal top 4 every season... yet stuck in a cycle of underachievement and never challenge for the title
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #142: Mar 04, 2015 09:25:43 am
      No.

I see us improving gradually as time goes on and that's enough for me for now. When we aren't improving any further, we aren't winning anything then and we become stale (Arsenal like), then that is when I will ask questions.

We have a young squad that is a bit inexperienced at the moment and are new to playing with each other, but when they want to they don't half play some great football, the best in the league in my opinion. If we secure CL football again, hopefully FSG will make one or two signings and it is my opinion that Brendan will take us to the top with this team.

I have every bit of faith in Brendan, I always have done, and I firmly believe given a bit of time and patience we will win the league with him.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #143: Mar 04, 2015 09:33:04 am
      It's possible that we neither win a cup or finish in 4th or better.

Still would not want another manager.

Shame this never applied to Kenny.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #144: Mar 04, 2015 10:44:35 am
      FA Cup would be lovely but look at Arsenal, in the long run it means very little.

FA Cup would be lovely but look at Arsenal, in the long run it qualifying for the Champions League meant very little... [without a trophy].

There you go Johnny... fixed that up for you.   :gt-happyup:

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,190 posts | 1205 
      Reply #145: Mar 04, 2015 10:58:02 am
      There is always a need to win trophies if you're Liverpool manager and this season we have a great opportunity to do so, but ''need'' in the sense of it being a disaster for Brendan if we don't? Not for me. We went four seasons without a trophy not so long ago and we've gone the last seven with only a Carling Cup to show for it. Given that and the job he's done I would say it's a bit too early to be saying Brendan ''needs'' to win a trophy.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #146: Mar 04, 2015 11:41:32 am
      Given that and the job he's done I would say it's a bit too early to be saying Brendan ''needs'' to win a trophy.
      I get that and totally agree -LFC- but, for me, the suggestion that he "needs" a trophy is no different to the suggestion that Champions League qualification is the priority - in fact that suggests an even greater "need" to be honest.  :-\

I'll take the cup of course and would be delighted but consistently getting Champions League football can build us up and up and up as a club where we can dominate like the old days. Then we can realistically expect to challenge for any trophy.
      I fully understand and concede the point that, if optimised correctly, the kudos (and money) gained from CL qualification can be the spring-board for future success. I think most people understand that, to be honest.

The 'need' to win the FA Cup, this season, has been widely dismissed. The reason? Well from what I can see; it's not important because it's not a priority... therefore Brendan shouldn't be put under any pressure to win it. Fair enough?

So let's say we all accept that [it's not important, so no pressure] - can we then all accept that everyone who is arguing the importance of CL qualification is, in all honesty, putting every bit as much pressure, on Brendan, as anyone who is suggesting he 'needs' a trophy this season?

The question, therefore becomes simple: Does Brendan need Champions League qualification this season?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #147: Mar 04, 2015 12:00:50 pm
      He could lead us to 6th and not win the FA Cup and i still think he'd be here next season.

Of course i think we can achieve both of our goals for the rest of the season, though. Fingers crossed it happens.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #148: Mar 04, 2015 12:29:09 pm
      He could lead us to 6th and not win the FA Cup and i still think he'd be here next season.
      Which, if it were to happen, would suggest that 'priorities' lie in a different direction all together.

Something that's maybe reflected in Tom Werner's more relaxed attitude on CL qualification?

August 2012:  "It is critical we make the Champions League because there is so much revenue associated with that" Werner said. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19290256

February 2015: "I don’t know if the word is critical – it certainly is important to make top four but it’s important that we continue this positive momentum... We’ll all be disappointed if we don’t make top four but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t win the FA Cup for Steven Gerrard in his last year at the club... And not just for Steven but for our fans."
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/558135/Liverpool-chairman-Tom-Werner-should-qualify-Champions-League
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,190 posts | 1205 
      Reply #149: Mar 04, 2015 01:34:26 pm
      I get that and totally agree -LFC- but, for me, the suggestion that he "needs" a trophy is no different to the suggestion that Champions League qualification is the priority - in fact that suggests an even greater "need" to be honest.  :-\
      I fully understand and concede the point that, if optimised correctly, the kudos (and money) gained from CL qualification can be the spring-board for future success. I think most people understand that, to be honest.

The 'need' to win the FA Cup, this season, has been widely dismissed. The reason? Well from what I can see; it's not important because it's not a priority... therefore Brendan shouldn't be put under any pressure to win it. Fair enough?

So let's say we all accept that [it's not important, so no pressure] - can we then all accept that everyone who is arguing the importance of CL qualification is, in all honesty, putting every bit as much pressure, on Brendan, as anyone who is suggesting he 'needs' a trophy this season?

The question, therefore becomes simple: Does Brendan need Champions League qualification this season?

I wouldn't say so, if by ''need'' you mean ''need in order to avoid deserving the sack''. I think it would be madness to sack Brendan on such potentially fine margins, and without a longer term view.

Which do we ''need'' more in the circumstances? As always it depends on how much you value the trophy as against the opportunities offered by CL qualification. For me it depends on the circumstances, and on the trophy. I've always said that there would come a point where in theory I would prefer CL qualification over a Carling Cup; for instance, if in the Carling Cup winning season we finished 8th, miles off fourth. That would probably indicate the level of the team was significantly lower than it would be if it were in the top four, and a team that is that much higher in the league is likely to be significantly better placed for future success over a period of time than in the alternative scenario.

In the present situation, none of those considerations apply so you bet I'd rather the chance to win the FA cup at Wembley against Arsenal/Mancs over any additional revenue/allure provided by possible CL qualification. That is sort of what it's all about in the end, and what an incredible opportunity it would be for Brendan and this young group of players to start making history together. Not to mention giving Stevie the perfect send off.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #150: Mar 04, 2015 01:42:02 pm

Yes yes yes and yes again
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,699 posts | 564 
      Reply #151: Mar 04, 2015 06:51:31 pm
      Can you imagine finishing 3rd, Arsenal 4th and Utd 5th and us winning the FA Cup.

yes please.

goes to show how good the 2001 season was...
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #152: Mar 05, 2015 12:40:49 pm
      he always needs a trophy year after year season after season. you build a winning mentality by winning and that includeds silverwear. Players around the world watch the prem and seeing LFC lift trophies and winning games week after week sticks in their mind when transferes are concerned. we cant compete with the rat race london living so we have to attract top players by being winners. Top players would have seen us destroy City last week and the fact that we have an amazing record this year.
      we need to top it all off and say goodbye to gerrard in style by winning the prem in a Livepool cup final win.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,138 posts | 4893 
      Reply #153: Apr 19, 2015 09:08:32 pm
      Deep down I thought he did need a trophy this season if only to buy him time to go into next season under less pressure but today's display has knocked that on the head.

Last manager since 1959 not to win a trophy in first three seasons isn't it?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6342 
      Reply #154: Apr 19, 2015 09:09:20 pm
      Deep down I thought he did need a trophy this season if only to buy him time to go into next season under less pressure but today's display has knocked that on the head.

Last manager since 1959 not to win a trophy in first three seasons isn't it?

Not looking too good Si.

Like it or not, agree or not, I think this might have been the nail in Brendan's coffin unless he can somehow pull of a miracle and get us in the top 4 which is the holy grail for FSG.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,138 posts | 4893 
      Reply #155: Apr 19, 2015 09:47:36 pm
      Not looking too good Si.

Like it or not, agree or not, I think this might have been the nail in Brendan's coffin unless he can somehow pull of a miracle and get us in the top 4 which is the holy grail for FSG.

Yep.

I thought a trophy would allow him breathing space if we started the first few games next season badly.

If we start next season like we did this then his position would be untenable and I'm wondering if that will be going thorugh FSG's mind over the coming weeks.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6342 
      Reply #156: Apr 19, 2015 09:51:29 pm
      Yep.

I thought a trophy would allow him breathing space if we started the first few games next season badly.

If we start next season like we did this then his position would be untenable and I'm wondering if that will be going thorugh FSG's mind over the coming weeks.

I think if you are going to give Brendan this off-season though then you need to stick with him through the next year (unless something extraordinarly bad happens).

Otherwise you need to bring in whoever it is you want so that they can put their stamp on the team over the summer and give their input on new signings. That's my opinion anyway.

Again, I'm not advocating for Brendan to leave, I'm just assessing the generic decision of changing managers.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #157: Apr 19, 2015 09:51:34 pm
      From an owners perspective, he just needs to keep his mouth shut.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,138 posts | 4893 
      Reply #158: Apr 19, 2015 09:54:27 pm
      I think if you are going to give Brendan this off-season though then you need to stick with him through the next year (unless something extraordinarly bad happens).

Otherwise you need to bring in whoever it is you want so that they can put their stamp on the team over the summer and give their input on new signings. That's my opinion anyway.

Again, I'm not advocating for Brendan to leave, I'm just assessing the generic decision of changing managers.

That's why I think they will be thinking things over carefully over the coming weeks FL.

I don't think they will want to have to sack him early next season but if we have another start like this season they will have no option.

Will they think a clean break in June will be better than taking a chance he will come good again in the new season but leaving them open to even bigger disruption.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6342 
      Reply #159: Apr 19, 2015 09:57:07 pm
      That's why I think they will be thinking things over carefully over the coming weeks FL.

I don't think they will want to have to sack him early next season but if we have another start like this season they will have no option.

Will they think a clean break in June will be better than taking a chance he will come good again in the new season but leaving them open to even bigger disruption.

All good questions and ones that will be answered in coming weeks. And unfortunately all questions that I loathe the fact we even have to be asking.

This all really sucks. this season just continues to be a giant disappointment.

If I hadn't known any better today, I'd have thought we were a championship side and AV were a PL mid table team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,138 posts | 4893 
      Reply #160: Apr 19, 2015 09:58:08 pm
      All good questions and ones that will be answered in coming weeks. And unfortunately all questions that I loathe the fact we even have to be asking. 

Agree.

Quick Reply