Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?

Read 28695 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?
      Reply #69: Oct 02, 2014 11:38:55 pm
      needs get top 4 these year good cup run, or he gone
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #70: Oct 03, 2014 12:45:34 am
      No, he needs 4th because that will satisfy his employers and most of the fans. By next season he will need to win something.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #71: Oct 03, 2014 08:47:19 am
      No, he needs 4th because that will satisfy his employers and most of the fans. By next season he will need to win something.

Champions League money is huge next season. If we finish 5th, there will be a huge deficit in terms of revenue. 4th is essential but have we invested wisely enough to get here? I'm not so sure.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy Next Season?
      Reply #72: Oct 03, 2014 03:35:02 pm
      No.

I'm happy for him to implement his methods on the club from top to bottom. If that takes time, then so be it. Look at what Cruyff and Michels did with Barcelona, they left Ajax and implemented their style from the youth system to the first team. It's that overarching vision that Brendan has for the club - his legacy on the club should not just be trophies. It should be an attractive, fast paced and technical blueprint that other managers that follow Brendan will have to follow.

Have to disagree mate. Managers will always be judged on trophies and they should always be judged on trophies that's how you know whether or not a manager is doing a good job or a great job. Cruyff's Barcelona team wasn't called "The Dream Team" just because they played some lovely footy they're called that because they won La Liga 4 years in a row and they won a European Cup, a European Cup winners cup, a Copa Del Rey, a European Super Cup and 3 Spanish Supercups.

Rinus Michels isn't a legend at Ajax and Barcelona simply because of the footballing philosophy he brought in he's a legend because he took that idea and implemented it and turned Ajax into European Champions and he gave Barcelona fans a few pots to celebrate.

Like Si said if all Brendan has to show for his work 5/6 years from now is some lovely footy then his time here would have been a waste. Keegan's Newcastle played some lovely football but they won absolutely nothing and if people were studying football from the 90's do you think history would remember Keegan more fondly than someone like Capello. Or even look at more recent history and someone like Bielsa who is Guardiola's mentor and all of his teams play some really vibrant and attractive football and yet when people are listing the greatest managers in history would his name come up before Mourinho's?

I'm not saying Brendan has to win trophies THIS season (I'd be happy with us finishing 4th) but if he wants to truly wants to establish himself amongst the top managers in the game then he needs to start getting trophies and accolades (and Manager of the month trophies don't count).  And if Liverpool FC want to reestablish ourselves back at the top table of football then we need to start winning some trophies too. League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League, League, Champions League the whole lot. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #73: Feb 27, 2015 12:13:27 pm
      One more chance gone and only one left.

I think FA Cup final is the minimum I would expect from here on in.

Finishing 4th this season would not be a successful one as far as I'm concerned and would leave Brendan going into season number 4 without any silverware.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #74: Feb 27, 2015 12:20:52 pm
      One left.
      I think he'll stay regardless but you can be sure he wants a trophy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #75: Feb 27, 2015 12:21:55 pm
      One left.
      I think he'll stay regardless but you can be sure he wants a trophy.

Agree on both counts Racer.

He wants it and most of us do but not getting it puts him under even more pressure next season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #76: Feb 27, 2015 12:22:22 pm
      One more chance gone and only one left.

I think FA Cup final is the minimum I would expect from here on in.

Finishing 4th this season would not be a successful one as far as I'm concerned and would leave Brendan going into season number 4 without any silverware.

Obviously would be nice along with Top 4 but there again Maureen has not won anything for almost 4 years now!
      I don't think it would mean it's the end for Rodgers if he failed to land a Cup this season.

Edit: Maureen won the Spanish equivalent of their charity shield in 2012 I believe, so nothing really.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #77: Feb 27, 2015 12:24:31 pm
      If he doesn't win anything this time, he needs to win the quadruple next season. Plus the Eurovision song contest (Ireland normally do do quite well in that so he's got no excuses).
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #78: Feb 27, 2015 12:26:34 pm
      Not for me, no. I'm disappointed every season we don't win anything but I wouldn't sack Brendan Rodgers this summer even if we miss top 4 and win nothing.

Next season would be the crunch for me. I'd expect top 4 and a trophy after 4 years in charge.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #79: Feb 27, 2015 12:35:35 pm
      Not for me, no. I'm disappointed every season we don't win anything but I wouldn't sack Brendan Rodgers this summer even if we miss top 4 and win nothing.

Next season would be the crunch for me. I'd expect top 4 and a trophy after 4 years in charge.

I wouldn't sack him either made but that doesn't mean I don't expect silverware sooner rather than later and I think he should be under pressure to deliver and the modern expectation of 'top four' as success gives managers an easier ride at times.

I don't expect to be like Arsenal under Wenger and waiting almost 10 years for a trophy.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #80: Feb 27, 2015 12:55:43 pm
      I wouldn't sack him either made but that doesn't mean I don't expect silverware sooner rather than later and I think he should be under pressure to deliver and the modern expectation of 'top four' as success gives managers an easier ride at times.

I don't expect to be like Arsenal under Wenger and waiting almost 10 years for a trophy.

Wenger only got that time because of his early silverware with Arsenal. Rodgers doesn't have that to fall back on.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #81: Feb 27, 2015 01:05:24 pm
      He won't get a better chance to win the FA Cup, should expect to be reaching the final there.

4th place and a trophy this season will be a success for me this season, failure to win a trophy and finish top 4 would be a failure in my book, considering the base we were building from on last year.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Feb 27, 2015 01:08:38 pm
      If he doesn't win anything this time, he needs to win the quadruple next season. Plus the Eurovision song contest (Ireland normally do do quite well in that so he's got no excuses).

This isn't the 90's. :D
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #83: Feb 27, 2015 01:24:27 pm
      I don't think he needs one to keep his job, but every season we don't win one from now on must be considered a failure. We have enough rebuilding, transitions and the like. FA cup is more important to me than top 4, but I understand fans who think otherwise.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #84: Feb 27, 2015 02:39:24 pm
      I think he should be under pressure to deliver

Agree competely with this.....there should be an expectation for us to get a trophy at this point in time. The FA cup barring unforeseen circumstances should be as good as ours in my opinion.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #85: Feb 27, 2015 02:43:21 pm
      Agree competely with this.....there should be an expectation for us to get a trophy at this point in time. The FA cup barring unforeseen circumstances should be as good as ours in my opinion.

I'm not sure about that mate. We are going to have to beat either Man Utd or Arsenal at Wembley. We can certainly do that, but we would go into the game evens each of two against the Mancs and slight outsider against Arsenal. If we get beat by anybody else now (as we don't have to play even someone like West Brom away) it would be a bitter pill to swallow I agree, but it's a way off being "as good as ours" IMHO when two teams who are above us in the league are still in it.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #86: Feb 27, 2015 02:47:25 pm
      I'm not sure about that mate. We are going to have to beat either Man Utd or Arsenal at Wembley. We can certainly do that, but we would go into the game evens each of two against the Mancs and slight outsider against Arsenal. If we get beat by anybody else now (as we don't have to play even someone like West Brom away) it would be a bitter pill to swallow I agree, but it's a way off being "as good as ours" IMHO when two teams who are above us in the league are still in it.

Two teams that we are going to overtake to get to top 4. And at least one team of which (Mancs) must have made a deal with the devil to still be picking up points as horrible as they are playing.

We've shown we can compete with Arsenal as well so I'm really not worried about either of those teams. With our squad at full strength (which you have to assume it will be) we should be favorites against anyone else in the comp.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #87: Feb 27, 2015 02:49:50 pm
      Two teams that we are going to overtake to get to top 4. And at least one team of which (Mancs) must have made a deal with the devil to still be picking up points as horrible as they are playing.

We've shown we can compete with Arsenal as well so I'm really not worried about either of those teams. With our squad at full strength (which you have to assume it will be) we should be favorites against anyone else in the comp.

Fair enough mate my heart is saying we will win it too so I'm not going to get into an argument about it. Put it this way, if the Mancs beat Arsenal (as I hope they do, Arsenal are clearly a better team and represent a sterner ask for us) and then get beat in the semi by Bradford, I'll be well and truly on the "it's ours to lose" bandwagon.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #88: Feb 27, 2015 03:08:27 pm

:)

Don't think Jonny Logan's   'What's another year?'   would go down well on here right now...

Mario should take a listen to Linda Martin's ...  'Why me?'   ... he might like it

Dana's song somewhat covers our season so far ... 'All kinds of everything' ...

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6940 
      Reply #89: Feb 27, 2015 03:12:42 pm
      "10 years at Everton for boss who proves you don't need trophies to be a winner but he is a winner."

Everton aren't they.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #90: Feb 27, 2015 04:04:15 pm
      I think he needs to prove that he's now got the experience to get us to a final at the very least.

With the exception of the progress made in this year's League Cup past endeavors in cup competitions both domestic and European have been truthfully woeful.

He is totally naive in tactics and substitutions when it comes to one-off matches. Hopefully the 'experiences' garnered from this year alone will be the kick up the arse that he's needed.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #91: Feb 27, 2015 09:24:22 pm
      In my opinion Rodgers needs a trophy.

Some say domestic cups are meaningless.

Rodgers I bet disagrees.

Quick Reply