Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rickie Lambert (Liverpool -> West Brom)

Read 47931 times
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 59 
      Rickie Lambert (Liverpool -> West Brom)
      Jun 02, 2014 11:03:29 am
      Now confirmed!

Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of Rickie Lambert from Southampton.

The striker, who was on the club's books as a youth player, has put pen to paper on a deal with the Reds after passing a medical at Melwood.

Moments after signing, the boyhood Liverpool fan said: "I can't believe it. I've loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago - and I haven't stopped loving it since.

"I have always dreamt of playing for Liverpool, but I did kind of think the chance of playing for them had gone. I didn't think the chance would come.

"I know how big Liverpool are - and it means everything to me - but I know what is important; I know it's what I do on the pitch and the minutes I play. I know that's what matters, and that's what I'll be focused on."

Lambert arrives from Southampton where he scored an impressive 117 goals in 235 appearances.

He has four caps for England and is part of Roy Hodgson's World Cup finals squad, alongside new club mates Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Glen Johnson, Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling.

Looking forward to seeing him play

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015 06:17:46 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Rickie Lambert
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2014 11:04:31 am
      Welcome home.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2014 11:06:23 am
      Welcome to the club Rickie lad

Liverpool confirm Lambert signing
      Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of Rickie Lambert from Southampton.

The striker, who was on the club's books as a youth player, has put pen to paper on a deal with the Reds after passing a medical at Melwood.

Moments after signing, the boyhood Liverpool fan said: "I can't believe it. I've loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago - and I haven't stopped loving it since.

"I have always dreamt of playing for Liverpool, but I did kind of think the chance of playing for them had gone. I didn't think the chance would come.

"I know how big Liverpool are - and it means everything to me - but I know what is important; I know it's what I do on the pitch and the minutes I play. I know that's what matters, and that's what I'll be focused on."

Lambert arrives from Southampton where he scored an impressive 117 goals in 235 appearances.

He has four caps for England and is part of Roy Hodgson's World Cup finals squad, alongside new club mates Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Glen Johnson, Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164257-liverpool-confirm-lambert-signing
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2014 11:07:22 am
      He has got a big head.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2014 11:07:53 am
      Very very shrewd signing this.

Welcome back Rickie.

Can tell this man will give his everything and more for this club. Get in 
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2014 11:08:08 am
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2014 11:11:35 am
      Rickie Lambert: The first interview
      Rickie Lambert admits there were tears of joy from his family after he completed his dream move to Liverpool and 'came home'.

The Reds swooped to snap up the striker from Southampton, making him Brendan Rodgers' first signing of the summer.

It was something of a dream come true for the lifelong Liverpool fan, who thought his chance of representing his club had gone after he was released as a 15-year-old youth player.

However, after working his way up from non-league football through all four divisions, Lambert will now head to this summer's World Cup finals with England before returning to Merseyside to begin life as a Reds player:

Moments after putting pen to paper on his contract at Melwood, Lambert sat down with Liverpoolfc.com to reflect on his transfer and explain why he is still coming to terms with the events of the last few days.

Rickie, welcome to Liverpool Football Club. How does it feel to be a Liverpool player?
      I can't believe it. I've loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago - and I haven't stopped loving it since. To be back here now having just signed at the age of 32 is hard to describe.

Did you ever think this day would come?
      No. Obviously I have always dreamt of playing for Liverpool, but I did kind of think the chance of playing for them had gone. I didn't think the chance would come. It was a shock when I heard Liverpool were in for me.

How have your family reacted to the news?
      I've been trying to keep it as quiet as possible and tell only my close family. My mum and dad shed a few tears when I told them, especially my mum. It's not just playing for Liverpool, it's the fact I'm coming home. I've been away for eight years. My mum and dad have loved watching me play football all of my life, even when I was a kid, so it'd been hard for them not being able to come and watch. The fact they've got their son home - and the fact he's playing for Liverpool - is unbelievable.

As a Liverpool supporter, is it possible to put into words how it felt the moment you're told your club is interested in you?
      I'm not going to say the words I said to my agent when he first told me! I thought he was lying at first. I've been trying to let it sink in for a week and it still hasn't. Even now, I am finding it hard to allow it to sink it.

It will sink in eventually, though, because it's done now - you are a Liverpool player...
      I know. I can't believe it. I'm so happy!

What's been your greatest moment as a Liverpool supporter?
      It's easily Istanbul. I wasn't able to go, but I went to all of the home games. The Chelsea game still stands out for me. I was on holiday with my mates and we watched it [Istanbul] - it was one of the best nights of my life, without a doubt. I think every Liverpool fan would say the same.

Your football journey is well documented - it reads like a Hollywood script. How did you keep going after facing quite a lot of rejection so young?
      I just love football. Football is the only thing I cared about - it is all I thought about when I was a kid. It was all I wanted to do. When people were telling me I couldn't do it, of course I wasn't going to listen to them - I was going to find somewhere else to play football. I would have been happy playing League One, League Two, Conference...wherever. I was always going to play football. Since I have been taking it seriously and believing in myself, all my dreams, wishes and what I wanted at the start have come true in the end. It's been a long time, but it's finally come true.

Because you've got that belief in yourself, does that give you confidence you'll settle in here at Liverpool?
      I think I am prepared mentally now for almost anything. I've had a long career, I've experienced a lot - a lot of ups and downs - and I believe I am at a time in my life now where anything that happens, I can enjoy, get the most out of it and adapt to it. I know how big Liverpool are - and it means everything to me - but I know what is important; I know it's what I do on the pitch and the minutes I play. I know that's what matters, and that's what I'll be focused on.

Take us back to when you were at this club as a young boy and were released. How tough was that to take? I know you've said since it was the right thing at the time, but how difficult was it?
      It was absolutely devastating. Absolutely devastating! I can remember at the time thinking I wasn't going to be a footballer - I'd been dropped from Liverpool and it was the end of the world for me. I was so devastated. At the time, I thought nothing was ever going to feel worse than that, but I can tell people now life goes on and you shouldn't let it hit you too much... but I never thought I'd manage to get back here!

So if you had advice for the 15-year-old you now, what would it be?
      Just calm down, you are a good player and you do have a future. Just believe in yourself a little bit more.

Was there a moment you thought about taking a different path? A moment you thought about giving up on football?
      There was a time, when I was getting rejected quite a lot, when I think I enrolled in college. I can't remember what the course was exactly, I think it was something to do with sports, but I did get a place at college, so I had something planned if no-one was going to take me on.

Were you accepting of having to go down that route?
      No, I wasn't accepting at all. I was going everywhere trying to get a club, a contract - and I finally got it at Macclesfield.

What's been the toughest test you've faced, do you feel? Is it being that 15-year-old kid being released?
      Probably my Stockport days. That really defined me as a person, and I think that's what has made me as mentally strong as I am today. It was hard for a 22-year-old to experience it, to be honest. It didn't go well - it ended very badly, and I learned a lot from it.

Working in a factory must have been pretty tough?
      It was, but I believed when I was doing it that it wasn't what I was going to be doing for the rest of my life, so it didn't really bother me that much, if I'm being honest. It was just for a bit of money and I knew I was going to train with Macclesfield after the summer had finished, so I knew what was coming. I didn't have a contract, but I knew I was going to be trying to earn myself a contract at Macclesfield. It was only for a few weeks and it was okay.

Your career really has come full circle now you're back at Liverpool Football Club. What are your hopes and ambitions here?
      To help push the club forward. They've had an unbelievable season and just missed out [on the title]. Whatever role Brendan has for me, I hope I can just help them push on again and hopefully clinch the title. That is everyone's dream, and that is what we've got to believe we can do.

What has Brendan told you about your role and how he sees you here at Liverpool?
      He knows what the club means to me, but there isn't much sentiment in football and I don't think this move is anything to do with that. I think he sees what he can benefit from by signing me, and he knows I'll be trying my best every minute I play for this club. I'm not sure what role he has for me - he hasn't gone into great detail right now, but I will be speaking to him very shortly.

Liverpool have been praised throughout football for their style of play, particularly last season. How confident are you of fitting into the system and how will your previous experience, particularly at Southampton, help?
      I did think the two teams were similar last season in the way they played. I would like to think that has helped me - and is what will help me adapt to Liverpool's style. I believe good players can play with good players. It might take a little bit of time to adapt to the players around me and get used to the games, but I am sure it won't take me long to find out what the manager wants, what the players need from me and what I can bring to the team. I just can't wait to get going.

We spoke to you ahead of the Southampton versus Liverpool game a few months back and you said you'd learnt to manage your emotions when facing Liverpool. How do you think you'll be feeling when you run out at Anfield as a Liverpool player?
      It's going to be hard to keep my emotions in check the first time I pull on the Liverpool shirt - I'm not going to lie! It's going to be very emotional, not just for me but also for my family. These kind of moments are driving me on. When I get these moments, I seem to produce my best performances and I'm able to use it to my advantage - any emotions, any nerves and any excitement I have. I am hoping that will continue in my Liverpool career.

Have you dreamt about this moment? Prior to signing and then when you knew you were coming to Liverpool?
      I have thought about it all my life. It was something I always thought of when I was a kid. When I knew of the interest from Liverpool, the first thought was of playing and scoring in front of the Kop and how it might be a possibility. Now that I've signed, it could become a reality. I know what I need to do, I know what matters.

You're joining a very formidable strike force in Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez. At the age of 32, can you still learn from those two players?
      Definitely. Every day I am learning - I'm 32, but I am more eager now to learn than I ever have been. It's never too late to learn. I've been with England for eight months and I've learned so much, as I have in my five years at Southampton. The development I've had has been unbelievable - and that is full credit to everyone at Southampton. The better the players you play with, the better you become, so I am sure it won't take me long to find out what their strengths are and what they like.

As a fan you know what this club is all about, but have you asked your England teammates? The likes of Steven Gerrard, what have you spoken to him about?
      I pulled him to one side before it was announced publically and told him what was going on in my life! I thought he might want to know. He was brilliant, he was made up for me and knows what it means to me. He said that I am going to love it here. I've spoken to the players quite a bit about Liverpool, although I've tried not to batter them too much! They've got nothing but good things to say about the club and especially Brendan Rodgers.

What did you want to know about the club from Steven Gerrard?
      I think I know everything about the club, but I wanted to know about Brendan. That was even before the interest from Liverpool - I wanted to know how he was. As I said, they've all had nothing but good words to say about him.

We know you're an accomplished penalty taker. Steven currently has that responsibility here at Liverpool. Will you be offering your services?
      No, Stevie is the penalty taker. He's probably the best penalty taker in the Premier League, so I won't be trying to take the pens off Stevie!

It's been a remarkable 12 months for yourself in which you've achieved so much. You'll soon be adding Champions League football to the long list of accomplishments. How much are you looking forward to that?
      I just can't wait to get started. I am going away with England and going to a World Cup, so that's what I'll be thinking of, but I am not going to be able to let what has happened and what is it come go out of my head. When I get back, that's when my focus turns to Liverpool, coming to pre-season, meeting the players and going from there. I want to hit the ground running, I want to start well and I believe I will.

You've next stop is Brazil and the World Cup with England. You must be so excited to play on the biggest stage for your country?
      For any kid, for any player, it means everything. I know I've said I'm living a dream and it really is, it's unbelievable. To play it in Brazil is hard to describe. There is a buzz about the group at the moment and there is a lot of confidence. The performance against Peru has even increased it, so we're going to Miami in a very good mood and high spirits. We're looking forward to Brazil.

What's the feeling about getting out of that group and how much confidence does the squad have about getting past that first stage?
      We are confident but at the same time we know how hard our group is - it's one of the hardest ones in the World Cup! The first game is against Italy and everything is gearing towards that game. It's a massive game. It's not the be all and end all, win or lose, but we know it is important. We've got to start fast and hopefully try to win that first game. It's so hard to predict anything in a World Cup. You need everything - you need luck, refereeing decisions and everyone to click at the right time. Hopefully that will happen for us.

You'll have plenty of time with your new Liverpool teammates when you've over in Brazil. Will that help when you when you come back to Merseyside and you're around a number of the same players?
      Yes, definitely. Liverpool got so much credit last season for the amount of English lads they had in the team, so it will definitely help me. It's a good way to get to know my teammates.

You can say 'we' now when talking about Liverpool, rather than 'them'...
      Yeah, I know...I've probably said 'we' in the past! The Southampton fans have been brilliant. They knew what Liverpool meant to me and they know it has always been my boyhood club, the club closest to my heart. There are two clubs in my heart now - and I'll never forget what Southampton have done for me. I cannot thank them enough. I will speak to the fans and properly by putting a statement out. But I can't believe I've signed for Liverpool!

We know what Liverpool means to you...is it true about the Liver Bird tattoo?
      Yes, it is! It's on my shoulder.

Finally, what's your message to the Liverpool supporters watching/reading this?
      I know they'll be happy that I am a Scouser and a Liverpudlian. I know that will mean a lot to them. But I also know what is important and I have to hit the ground running. That's what I'll be intending to do. It means everything to me, but I do believe I can help push this club forward as well.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164259-rickie-lambert-the-first-interview
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2014 11:14:36 am
      Welcome to the club Rickie!

Amazing interview that, can tell just how much this means to him.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2014 11:19:09 am
      Plan B?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Re: Rickie Lambert Player Thread
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2014 11:19:45 am
      STATEMENT from Southampton: Player interest & Rickie Lambert

The Club has issued the following statement in relation to interest in a number of its players and the departure of Rickie Lambert…

Southampton Football Club can confirm that we have received multiple offers for some of our players in the past weeks. This is a confirmation of the depth of the development that is ongoing in our academy and of the present standing of our first team within the Premier League.

We are staying true to our plan and vision and, as a result, we have no need to accept any offers. We are deep in the process of appointing a new manager who will continue to move our club forward. It remains our preference not to partake in any transfers until the new manager is in place. Our scouting & recruitment department continues to monitor targets we have identified to improve our squad, and the new manager will have final input into our recruitment process.

However, Southampton Football Club can confirm that it has reached agreement with Liverpool for the transfer of Rickie Lambert.

There may be circumstances under which the club will feel it is right for a player to move on. Those circumstances have to be right for the club and the player. This is the case with Rickie’s move to Liverpool.

When Rickie Lambert requested to leave for Liverpool, the club felt it could not stand in the way of having him fulfil his boyhood dream of playing at home. It will be a big challenge to replace him and our intention is to source a quality replacement who will fill his shoes now but also for many years to come.

Chairman Ralph Krueger commented: “On behalf of the club, I would like to thank Rickie. He served with distinction and helped to take Saints from League 1 to the Premier League.

“Rickie has been a shining light in Saints’ growth and will forever remain an icon in the history of the club. He leaves with the best wishes of everyone at Southampton and will always be welcome back at St Mary’s.”

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/02062014-statement-player-interest-rickie-lambert-1592309.aspx#8qiqA5wYRQ872Uob.99
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2014 11:22:24 am
      Happy for him. Really hope it turns out to be a decent move for him and liverpool

Ynwa
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Jun 02, 2014 11:23:22 am
      Rickie Lambert: The first interview
      Rickie Lambert admits there were tears of joy from his family after he completed his dream move to Liverpool and 'came home'.

The Reds swooped to snap up the striker from Southampton, making him Brendan Rodgers' first signing of the summer.

It was something of a dream come true for the lifelong Liverpool fan, who thought his chance of representing his club had gone after he was released as a 15-year-old youth player.

However, after working his way up from non-league football through all four divisions, Lambert will now head to this summer's World Cup finals with England before returning to Merseyside to begin life as a Reds player:

Moments after putting pen to paper on his contract at Melwood, Lambert sat down with Liverpoolfc.com to reflect on his transfer and explain why he is still coming to terms with the events of the last few days.

Rickie, welcome to Liverpool Football Club. How does it feel to be a Liverpool player?
      I can't believe it. I've loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago - and I haven't stopped loving it since. To be back here now having just signed at the age of 32 is hard to describe.

Did you ever think this day would come?
      No. Obviously I have always dreamt of playing for Liverpool, but I did kind of think the chance of playing for them had gone. I didn't think the chance would come. It was a shock when I heard Liverpool were in for me.

How have your family reacted to the news?
      I've been trying to keep it as quiet as possible and tell only my close family. My mum and dad shed a few tears when I told them, especially my mum. It's not just playing for Liverpool, it's the fact I'm coming home. I've been away for eight years. My mum and dad have loved watching me play football all of my life, even when I was a kid, so it'd been hard for them not being able to come and watch. The fact they've got their son home - and the fact he's playing for Liverpool - is unbelievable.

As a Liverpool supporter, is it possible to put into words how it felt the moment you're told your club is interested in you?
      I'm not going to say the words I said to my agent when he first told me! I thought he was lying at first. I've been trying to let it sink in for a week and it still hasn't. Even now, I am finding it hard to allow it to sink it.

It will sink in eventually, though, because it's done now - you are a Liverpool player...
      I know. I can't believe it. I'm so happy!

What's been your greatest moment as a Liverpool supporter?
      It's easily Istanbul. I wasn't able to go, but I went to all of the home games. The Chelsea game still stands out for me. I was on holiday with my mates and we watched it [Istanbul] - it was one of the best nights of my life, without a doubt. I think every Liverpool fan would say the same.

Your football journey is well documented - it reads like a Hollywood script. How did you keep going after facing quite a lot of rejection so young?
      I just love football. Football is the only thing I cared about - it is all I thought about when I was a kid. It was all I wanted to do. When people were telling me I couldn't do it, of course I wasn't going to listen to them - I was going to find somewhere else to play football. I would have been happy playing League One, League Two, Conference...wherever. I was always going to play football. Since I have been taking it seriously and believing in myself, all my dreams, wishes and what I wanted at the start have come true in the end. It's been a long time, but it's finally come true.

Because you've got that belief in yourself, does that give you confidence you'll settle in here at Liverpool?
      I think I am prepared mentally now for almost anything. I've had a long career, I've experienced a lot - a lot of ups and downs - and I believe I am at a time in my life now where anything that happens, I can enjoy, get the most out of it and adapt to it. I know how big Liverpool are - and it means everything to me - but I know what is important; I know it's what I do on the pitch and the minutes I play. I know that's what matters, and that's what I'll be focused on.

Take us back to when you were at this club as a young boy and were released. How tough was that to take? I know you've said since it was the right thing at the time, but how difficult was it?
      It was absolutely devastating. Absolutely devastating! I can remember at the time thinking I wasn't going to be a footballer - I'd been dropped from Liverpool and it was the end of the world for me. I was so devastated. At the time, I thought nothing was ever going to feel worse than that, but I can tell people now life goes on and you shouldn't let it hit you too much... but I never thought I'd manage to get back here!

So if you had advice for the 15-year-old you now, what would it be?
      Just calm down, you are a good player and you do have a future. Just believe in yourself a little bit more.

Was there a moment you thought about taking a different path? A moment you thought about giving up on football?
      There was a time, when I was getting rejected quite a lot, when I think I enrolled in college. I can't remember what the course was exactly, I think it was something to do with sports, but I did get a place at college, so I had something planned if no-one was going to take me on.

Were you accepting of having to go down that route?
      No, I wasn't accepting at all. I was going everywhere trying to get a club, a contract - and I finally got it at Macclesfield.

What's been the toughest test you've faced, do you feel? Is it being that 15-year-old kid being released?
      Probably my Stockport days. That really defined me as a person, and I think that's what has made me as mentally strong as I am today. It was hard for a 22-year-old to experience it, to be honest. It didn't go well - it ended very badly, and I learned a lot from it.

Working in a factory must have been pretty tough?
      It was, but I believed when I was doing it that it wasn't what I was going to be doing for the rest of my life, so it didn't really bother me that much, if I'm being honest. It was just for a bit of money and I knew I was going to train with Macclesfield after the summer had finished, so I knew what was coming. I didn't have a contract, but I knew I was going to be trying to earn myself a contract at Macclesfield. It was only for a few weeks and it was okay.

Your career really has come full circle now you're back at Liverpool Football Club. What are your hopes and ambitions here?
      To help push the club forward. They've had an unbelievable season and just missed out [on the title]. Whatever role Brendan has for me, I hope I can just help them push on again and hopefully clinch the title. That is everyone's dream, and that is what we've got to believe we can do.

What has Brendan told you about your role and how he sees you here at Liverpool?
      He knows what the club means to me, but there isn't much sentiment in football and I don't think this move is anything to do with that. I think he sees what he can benefit from by signing me, and he knows I'll be trying my best every minute I play for this club. I'm not sure what role he has for me - he hasn't gone into great detail right now, but I will be speaking to him very shortly.

Liverpool have been praised throughout football for their style of play, particularly last season. How confident are you of fitting into the system and how will your previous experience, particularly at Southampton, help?
      I did think the two teams were similar last season in the way they played. I would like to think that has helped me - and is what will help me adapt to Liverpool's style. I believe good players can play with good players. It might take a little bit of time to adapt to the players around me and get used to the games, but I am sure it won't take me long to find out what the manager wants, what the players need from me and what I can bring to the team. I just can't wait to get going.

We spoke to you ahead of the Southampton versus Liverpool game a few months back and you said you'd learnt to manage your emotions when facing Liverpool. How do you think you'll be feeling when you run out at Anfield as a Liverpool player?
      It's going to be hard to keep my emotions in check the first time I pull on the Liverpool shirt - I'm not going to lie! It's going to be very emotional, not just for me but also for my family. These kind of moments are driving me on. When I get these moments, I seem to produce my best performances and I'm able to use it to my advantage - any emotions, any nerves and any excitement I have. I am hoping that will continue in my Liverpool career.

Have you dreamt about this moment? Prior to signing and then when you knew you were coming to Liverpool?
      I have thought about it all my life. It was something I always thought of when I was a kid. When I knew of the interest from Liverpool, the first thought was of playing and scoring in front of the Kop and how it might be a possibility. Now that I've signed, it could become a reality. I know what I need to do, I know what matters.

You're joining a very formidable strike force in Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez. At the age of 32, can you still learn from those two players?
      Definitely. Every day I am learning - I'm 32, but I am more eager now to learn than I ever have been. It's never too late to learn. I've been with England for eight months and I've learned so much, as I have in my five years at Southampton. The development I've had has been unbelievable - and that is full credit to everyone at Southampton. The better the players you play with, the better you become, so I am sure it won't take me long to find out what their strengths are and what they like.

As a fan you know what this club is all about, but have you asked your England teammates? The likes of Steven Gerrard, what have you spoken to him about?
      I pulled him to one side before it was announced publically and told him what was going on in my life! I thought he might want to know. He was brilliant, he was made up for me and knows what it means to me. He said that I am going to love it here. I've spoken to the players quite a bit about Liverpool, although I've tried not to batter them too much! They've got nothing but good things to say about the club and especially Brendan Rodgers.

What did you want to know about the club from Steven Gerrard?
      I think I know everything about the club, but I wanted to know about Brendan. That was even before the interest from Liverpool - I wanted to know how he was. As I said, they've all had nothing but good words to say about him.

We know you're an accomplished penalty taker. Steven currently has that responsibility here at Liverpool. Will you be offering your services?
      No, Stevie is the penalty taker. He's probably the best penalty taker in the Premier League, so I won't be trying to take the pens off Stevie!

It's been a remarkable 12 months for yourself in which you've achieved so much. You'll soon be adding Champions League football to the long list of accomplishments. How much are you looking forward to that?
      I just can't wait to get started. I am going away with England and going to a World Cup, so that's what I'll be thinking of, but I am not going to be able to let what has happened and what is it come go out of my head. When I get back, that's when my focus turns to Liverpool, coming to pre-season, meeting the players and going from there. I want to hit the ground running, I want to start well and I believe I will.

You've next stop is Brazil and the World Cup with England. You must be so excited to play on the biggest stage for your country?
      For any kid, for any player, it means everything. I know I've said I'm living a dream and it really is, it's unbelievable. To play it in Brazil is hard to describe. There is a buzz about the group at the moment and there is a lot of confidence. The performance against Peru has even increased it, so we're going to Miami in a very good mood and high spirits. We're looking forward to Brazil.

What's the feeling about getting out of that group and how much confidence does the squad have about getting past that first stage?
      We are confident but at the same time we know how hard our group is - it's one of the hardest ones in the World Cup! The first game is against Italy and everything is gearing towards that game. It's a massive game. It's not the be all and end all, win or lose, but we know it is important. We've got to start fast and hopefully try to win that first game. It's so hard to predict anything in a World Cup. You need everything - you need luck, refereeing decisions and everyone to click at the right time. Hopefully that will happen for us.

You'll have plenty of time with your new Liverpool teammates when you've over in Brazil. Will that help when you when you come back to Merseyside and you're around a number of the same players?
      Yes, definitely. Liverpool got so much credit last season for the amount of English lads they had in the team, so it will definitely help me. It's a good way to get to know my teammates.

You can say 'we' now when talking about Liverpool, rather than 'them'...
      Yeah, I know...I've probably said 'we' in the past! The Southampton fans have been brilliant. They knew what Liverpool meant to me and they know it has always been my boyhood club, the club closest to my heart. There are two clubs in my heart now - and I'll never forget what Southampton have done for me. I cannot thank them enough. I will speak to the fans and properly by putting a statement out. But I can't believe I've signed for Liverpool!

We know what Liverpool means to you...is it true about the Liver Bird tattoo?
      Yes, it is! It's on my shoulder.

Finally, what's your message to the Liverpool supporters watching/reading this?
      I know they'll be happy that I am a Scouser and a Liverpudlian. I know that will mean a lot to them. But I also know what is important and I have to hit the ground running. That's what I'll be intending to do. It means everything to me, but I do believe I can help push this club forward as well.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164259-rickie-lambert-the-first-interview

Cracking interview, great to hear when it really does mean something to a player and you can be nothing but delighted for the lad.

That's some journey.

Welcome to the best club in the world Rickie!

Here's to a long and prosperous career with us!

YNWA
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Reply #12: Jun 02, 2014 11:29:13 am
      I can't find anywhere a picture of his tattoo :(
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Jun 02, 2014 11:31:27 am
      Brilliant.

Welcome back Rickie and best of luck. Get through the World Cup injury free and then you can focus on the important things.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #14: Jun 02, 2014 11:38:03 am
      Second best signing of the season so far?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #15: Jun 02, 2014 11:42:18 am
      The remarkable rise of Rickie Lambert
      Prolific and powerful striker Rickie Lambert completed a fairytale full circle when he signed on the dotted line to become Liverpool's first signing of the 2014 summer transfer window on June 2.

Mere days before departing for the World Cup in Brazil with England and five of his new Anfield teammates, the 32-year-old sealed an emotional switch from Southampton to cap an incredible rise through the sport.

Born in Kirkby on February 16, 1982, Lambert was raised as a passionate Reds fan - which he remains to this day - and took the fledgling steps towards a professional career at the club's local Academy.

He was released as a 15-year-old, though - "I thought it was the end of the world. But I can tell people in the same situation now that it is not the end of the world, it should drive you on to succeed even more."

Before that success would arrive, further misfortune befell the Scouser when the second chance of a move to Blackpool ended with similar disappointment; without a club, Rickie took employment at a beetroot factory, receiving £20 per day to attach lids to jars.

Determined not to relinquish his dream, Lambert regularly travelled at distance to train with Macclesfield Town, where he would eventually gain a contract, allowing his prowess inside opposition penalty areas to begin to formulate.

While possessing the height, body strength and leap to present an obvious aerial threat, the Englishman boasts much more - not least a deftness of touch, clarity of vision and relentless thirst for firing the ball into the back of the net.

What started as a trickle of goals increased following his next switch, to Stockport County, and that record was embellished again when he became a Rochdale player. By 2006, his name was familiar to aficionados of the lower divisions and another transfer, this time to Bristol Rovers, beckoned.

In his debut campaign, Rickie contributed considerably to Rovers reaching the League Two play-off final, where he ran out at Wembley and, 90 minutes later, could celebrate promotion with his new club.

An ever-present at League One level in 2007-08, the forward struck 13 times, a tally that paled into insignificance the following season; 'Lambert' was an almost constant entry on the scoresheet, no less than 29, in fact, that year.

Southampton certainly took notice. Keen to kick-start a renaissance that would ultimately carry the south-coast club from League One to the Barclays Premier League, the Saints parted with £1million - a bargain fee, it would turn out - to capture their man in August 2009.

His goals record ever since is slightly dizzying: 36 in all competitions during his maiden campaign at St Mary's, followed by 21 in the league a season later to help catapult his employers back into the Championship.

Having reached the highest stage of his career to date, Lambert stayed true to a tested method: scoring. His 27 efforts in the division throughout 2011-12 proved fundamental to Southampton securing a second consecutive promotion, and earned him the honour of Championship Player of the Year.

Rickie's transition to the next level again seemed effortless, as he featured in every single Premier League fixture and racked up a hugely respectable total of 15 goals, spearheading the Saints attack and linking expertly with the rapid passing and energy of the youngsters in behind him.

He was on target against Liverpool in March 2013, with pundits, fans and observers increasingly taking note of his undeniable skillset, and Roy Hodgson rewarded the striker with an England call-up five months later. Naturally, he scored, rising from the bench to claim a friendly winner past Scotland.

A haul of 13 Premier League strikes across 2013-14 maintained the remarkable upward trajectory of Lambert's career, and it was therefore little surprise when he was named among the 23 players selected to represent the Three Lions at the World Cup.

But there was to be another twist in his movie-like rags-to-riches tale - his club came calling with an invitation to join the Reds and the deal was quickly concluded, sending Rodgers' latest signing to South America with the happiest of smiles.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164262-the-remarkable-rise-of-rickie-lambert
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #16: Jun 02, 2014 11:45:43 am
      Welcome home Rickie lad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Jun 02, 2014 11:55:27 am
      Just watched his interview with Claire on lfc.tv, every question she asked he just had this big smirk on his face, like he was thinking "this can't be happening, I'm actually a Liverpool player".

So, so pleased for him and you just know he's going to do his damnedest to help us to win games and trophies.

Well lad, if you didn't already realise you've joined the greatest Club on earth now, so welcome back and welcome home.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #18: Jun 02, 2014 12:01:39 pm
      Welcme home, Rickie. You'll do well here.

The manager's obviously got faith in you, as do we. Do your best, give your all - that's all we ask.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #19: Jun 02, 2014 12:04:36 pm
      What an amazing moment for this guy. Can't put into words how great it is to see his excitement over this move. Welcome to the club Rickie. YNWA.
      storophanthus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 16 
      Reply #20: Jun 02, 2014 12:11:27 pm
      Amazing!! He is like us, he loves the club!!

4 million for England international! Now I'm excited to see England in the World Cup, more when Lallana come!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Jun 02, 2014 12:11:40 pm
      Chuffed to bits for the big fella... he's living the dream. You just know he'll do well with us; dontcha?

But how can we sign him when the window isn't open yet?  :f_tongueincheek:

Welcome home Rickie.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #22: Jun 02, 2014 12:17:17 pm
      Delighted for him and us as I think this is a great move all round.

Welcome home Rickie.

Quick Reply