Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Rickie Lambert (Liverpool -> West Brom)

Read 48252 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Rickie Lambert Player Thread
      Reply #115: Aug 05, 2014 12:57:26 pm

9 is quite a bit and with the speed of play we have compared to that of Southampton,  I think he will be used in late stages of games more to find that pass for Sturridge or to offer a goal of his own.

So to judge him on when he has to start matches may be unfair cause imo he wasn't brought in to start them at all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #116: Aug 05, 2014 01:00:47 pm
      9 is quite a bit and with the speed of play we have compared to that of Southampton,  I think he will be used in late stages of games more to find that pass for Sturridge or to offer a goal of his own.

So to judge him on when he has to start matches may be unfair cause imo he wasn't brought in to start them at all.

Sturridge was subbed more.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #117: Aug 05, 2014 01:01:05 pm

Is it really?

I think you're trying to find a problem that isn't there.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      Reply #118: Aug 05, 2014 01:07:03 pm
      Is it really?

I think you're trying to find a problem that isn't there.

Not at all, maybe I was rash in saying 9 games is a lot, just going against a fit striker e.g Suarez who hardly ever got subbed I stated it was a lot, just think his a player who will come on when defences are tired not when they are in full flow.

Being straight up with you, I don't think Lambert is what we need as a striker starting week in week out but I every faith in him as impact sub which is what we will use him as.

Sturridge is injury prone so that would make sense, most times Sturridge had done his job and was subbed as a precaution to keep him ready for the next game, he was the leagues 2nd top goalscorer, so I don't think there's a comparison between them two being substituted.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #119: Aug 05, 2014 01:09:10 pm
      Not at all, maybe I was rash in saying 9 games is a lot, just going against a fit striker e.g Suarez who hardly ever got subbed

Comparing anyone with someone like the almost superhuman Luis is a bit much mate.

Being straight up with you, I don't think Lambert is what we need as a striker starting week in week out but I every faith in him as impact sub which is what we will use him as.

I'm almost certain Brendan feels the same so I'll only start really worrying if the window closes and we haven't bought another striker or even two.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #120: Aug 05, 2014 01:12:02 pm
      Comparing anyone with someone like the almost superhuman Luis is a bit much mate.

I'm almost certain Brendan feels the same so I'll only start really worrying if the window closes and we haven't bought another striker or even two.

Comparing anyone to Suarez is going to look bad.
      The lad was a machine cast from South American steel.
      We'll miss that as much as anything.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      Reply #121: Aug 05, 2014 01:14:06 pm

I'm almost certain Brendan feels

But its what we were accustomed too, I know no one else has the fitness like Suarez but we should aim to have someone of a similar level, someone who can hack it week in week out and play at the highest of his abilities.

People are acting as if Lambert was brought in for that and I expect it from non lfc fans to be so ignorant, but not us.

Lambert will be beneficial off the bench, we need to bring in a striker to play alongside Sturridge or one who can lead the line strongly in his absence all I am saying is that is not Lambert.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #122: Aug 05, 2014 01:16:35 pm
      People are acting as if Lambert was brought in for that and I expect it from non lfc fans to be so ignorant, but not us.

Nobody is acting like that. Stop being daft.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      Reply #123: Aug 05, 2014 01:20:57 pm
      Nobody is acting like that. Stop being daft.

:D

I could name a couple criticising him as if he is our sole striker next season, easily. (Maybe you utilize your ignore button a lot more than I do)

Its not being daft at all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #124: Aug 05, 2014 01:26:45 pm
      :D

I could name a couple criticising him as if he is our sole striker next season, easily. (Maybe you utilize your ignore button a lot more than I do)

Its not being daft at all.

Nobody with any ounce of cop on is suggesting he is our replacement for Suarez.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      Reply #125: Aug 05, 2014 01:29:14 pm
      Nobody with any ounce of cop on is suggesting he is our replacement for Suarez.

Suggesting he is and acting as if he is are two different things but I get your point.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #126: Aug 05, 2014 01:31:00 pm

I'd be amazed if you found anyone on here who thinks we bought Lambert in to replace Suarez.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      Reply #127: Aug 05, 2014 01:37:22 pm
      I'd be amazed if you found anyone on here who thinks we bought Lambert in to replace Suarez.

They won't admit it but they go on as if that's the purpose of Rickie being here when its not.

For me a fair critique would be if he comes on when its 0-0 against an average WBA side, he offers nothing. Then we begin to question is he good enough to the job his been bought for.

Not when his starting matches as a lone striker because he has NOT been brought in for that and to critique him so much for that, is to act as if he was brought in to play that role (Sturridge's role) which is wrong imo.

At the end of the day you can think I am talking out my ass or I have an agenda, but that's what I think and there it is.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #128: Aug 05, 2014 01:44:26 pm
      They won't admit it but they go on as if that's the purpose of Rickie being here when its not.

No they don't.

I'm sorry mate but I think you are talking absolute bollocks here.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      Reply #129: Aug 05, 2014 01:46:37 pm
      No they don't.

I'm sorry mate but I think you are talking absolute bollocks here.

:D okay. Well we can bring this conversation to an end then.

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #130: Aug 05, 2014 02:25:24 pm
      I was under the impression along with Rickie himself that he was coming here as an impact player and not a star turn.

Newspapers are always at it: "Remy to replace Suarez", "Bony to replace Suarez", hell, I'm sure I've even seen the caption "Origi to replace Suarez". It's just sensationalised bone idle journalism.

There is no like for like with Suarez he's impossible to replace. He was Uni Q as aunt Sally used to say ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #131: Aug 05, 2014 02:39:38 pm
      Is there any possibility of keeping Origi with us for the coming season or do we have to loan him back?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #132: Aug 05, 2014 03:20:24 pm
      Is there any possibility of keeping Origi with us for the coming season or do we have to loan him back?

He's already gone back and it was apparently a condition Lille insisted on having if the deal was to go through.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #133: Aug 06, 2014 11:37:38 am
      I'm struggling to find a scenario in a game where I would look to him to come on.

Not having a go at him really, his story is great and comes across really well. Just as a striker in any capacity for Liverpool? Not for me at this admittedly very early stage.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #134: Aug 06, 2014 11:50:20 am
      I'm struggling to find a scenario in a game where I would look to him to come on.

Not having a go at him really, his story is great and comes across really well. Just as a striker in any capacity for Liverpool? Not for me at this admittedly very early stage.

I'm sure BR can think of a few scenario's

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #135: Aug 06, 2014 12:02:20 pm

With Studge taking the knock he had F***ing big boots to fill mate, Lambert had to take the place of our solitary striker and try and kick on in the face of unmatchable expectation.
      That scenario is a no win challenge - even Suarez would have to regroup.
      Fully agree about him not being in the Liverpool mould but Rickie Lambert is the least of our concerns in the striker situation.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #136: Aug 06, 2014 07:30:13 pm

If we are getting dominated by the defence in the air then he'd be a good choice. As good as the likes of Sturridge, Sterling etc are, they don't offer us the biggest of threats in the air.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #137: Aug 06, 2014 08:38:20 pm
      If we are getting dominated by the defence in the air then he'd be a good choice. As good as the likes of Sturridge, Sterling etc are, they don't offer us the biggest of threats in the air.

So effectively the long awaited for plan B.

Quick Reply