Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Rickie Lambert (Liverpool -> West Brom)

Read 48218 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Rickie Lambert Player Thread
      Reply #161: Aug 10, 2014 10:58:27 am
      Doesn't matter who the pass comes from as long as it happens and teams will expect it of the players you mentioned, but with rickie there could be an element of surprise.

When we're in a 0-0 game and we're struggling to score, I wouldn't take Lambert off for Sturridge if we need a goal. And I wouldn't want to take of Coutinho, Sterling etc off to make Lambert our creative player.

I don't see how exactly he'd fit. He's capable of a making an assist but not even close to the quality our other attacking midfielders can, and his goal record is well average.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #162: Aug 10, 2014 11:01:29 am
      When we're in a 0-0 game and we're struggling to score, I wouldn't take Lambert off for Sturridge if we need a goal. And I wouldn't want to take of Coutinho, Sterling etc off to make Lambert our creative player.

I don't see how exactly he'd fit. He's capable of a making an assist but not even close to the quality our other attacking midfielders can, and his goal record is well average.

I see your point, but its likely one of them will have had a poor game which has lead to the need of a new player to come on.

His got to be given a chance, me personally from what I have seen he is better with his feet than people give him credit for. Just needs to get that goal.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #163: Aug 10, 2014 11:25:49 am
      think we will have to wait for the season to end to assess Lambert's contribution.It may not be in goals scored but it may be in points won when the oppo come and park the bus you know smaller teams like CHELSEA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #164: Aug 11, 2014 09:22:21 pm
      Scored his first goal(s) today, got 2 in a 2-1 win over Burnley in the behind closed doors game.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      Reply #165: Aug 11, 2014 09:24:59 pm
      Scored his first goal(s) today, got 2 in a 2-1 win over Burnley in the behind closed doors game.

Ffs, there won't be anyway to see them will there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #166: Aug 11, 2014 09:33:08 pm
      Ffs, there won't be anyway to see them will there.

Not unless they put them on LFCTV.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #167: Aug 11, 2014 09:33:27 pm

Proof that Lambert is better than Suarez. Last season we lost 2-0 to Burnley in a behind closed doors game with Suarez.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      Reply #168: Aug 11, 2014 09:37:32 pm

What a bummer. Not one goal but two as well,  just shows it could be the nnerves which have prevented him taking his chances.

Hope he takes those 2 goals irrelevant of behind closed doors or not as a confidence boost to go on and score his first pl goal for us next week.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #169: Aug 11, 2014 09:40:42 pm
      Good to hear. I'm sure he'll do fine this year.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #170: Aug 11, 2014 09:45:55 pm
      think we will have to wait for the season to end to assess Lambert's contribution.It may not be in goals scored but it may be in points won when the oppo come and park the bus you know smaller teams like CHELSEA

;D l like that.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #171: Aug 11, 2014 10:23:12 pm
      Behind closed doors game or not, that will be a confidence booster to him. Fingers crossed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #172: Aug 11, 2014 10:35:38 pm
      Behind closed doors game or not, that will be a confidence booster to him. Fingers crossed.
      :ernaehrung004:

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #173: Aug 11, 2014 11:50:19 pm
      Yep.

Too much judgement made on his pre season form.

If we are to judge players on pre-season form, then Aspas must be a right bargain......

Interesting that he started pre-season right from the start - wasn't given that mandatory lay off period for World Cup stars. Yes, he didn't play much in the World Cup, but Lallana too got a break.

I think it's because Rickie Lambert is a player who could quite easily pile on the pounds - this is by no means a criticism as he stated this himself when he played for Rochdale prior to Southampton. Arriving at Southampton, Alan Pardew - who was in charge at the time - told him to hit the gym and lose some weight, because Southampton are a step above Rochdale obviously.

Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case again as Liverpool is a step up from Southampton with Brendan telling him to hit the gym and get his fitness to its absolute peak.

Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if he looked a little sluggish in pre-season - he's likely still getting up to the fitness standards of the rest of the squad. Once he gets up to speed, I think we'll see a lot more of him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #174: Aug 17, 2014 09:23:04 pm
      Thought his arrival gave the saints something to think about which allowed that vital extra bit of time and space for Sturridge/Sterling and its small things like that which might be a big thing for us over the season
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #175: Aug 17, 2014 09:36:56 pm
      Within 5 mins of coming on we looked a lot more dangerous and about 5 mins later we scored.  He is direct and gives us options off the bench.  So far an up grade from Borini and Aspas.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #176: Aug 17, 2014 09:44:04 pm
      I guess we're used to so much movement up front for the past season and a half that Rickie looked statuesque in comparison. He certainly gives us a change up and I'm also encouraged that Saints have played some fantastic fluid attacking football with Lambert in the side the past two years but I still fear an injury to Sturridge and having to rely on the big man.

I watch Dzeko's performance for City this afternoon and he was absolutely terrific, he was able to offer great hold up/target man pay BUT is still a fairly mobile player. It's the lack of mobility that worries me with Rickie.

Brendan went wi the diamond when he came on today with Sterlng moving inside which made a lot of sense because you want and need players like Sterling and Sturridge getting into close contact when Lambert is on the pitch.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #177: Aug 18, 2014 11:32:25 am
      Thought he stretched the game yesterday - Saints began sitting deeper again when he came on which gave us a bit more space to play around in.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #178: Aug 18, 2014 11:34:51 am
      After his performance off the bench yesterday I think Rickie will do a job for us. Especially in the cup matches.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #179: Aug 18, 2014 01:23:03 pm
      Id start him v City in a 4 4 2 to see if he could create space for Sturridge.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #180: Aug 18, 2014 06:08:58 pm
      Id start him v City in a 4 4 2 to see if he could create space for Sturridge.

Really? We need to sure up the midfield IMO because Toure, Fernando and Fernandinho are going to be a handful and 442 would be asking for trouble. But that's just my opinion like.

He looked confident when he came on against Saints, didn't look to let the occasion get to him which could have been easily done. Caused a few problems in their box and looked to get at them when he had the ball.

Can't see him getting more than 5 or 6 goals this season but if he comes on and causes a bit of havoc that results in others scoring then it wont be too bad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #181: Aug 18, 2014 08:59:04 pm
      Really? We need to sure up the midfield IMO because Toure, Fernando and Fernandinho are going to be a handful and 442 would be asking for trouble. But that's just my opinion like.

He looked confident when he came on against Saints, didn't look to let the occasion get to him which could have been easily done. Caused a few problems in their box and looked to get at them when he had the ball.

Can't see him getting more than 5 or 6 goals this season but if he comes on and causes a bit of havoc that results in others scoring then it wont be too bad.

Away to city yes I would. Just to give them something to think about and create the bit of extra space for Sturridge. City will expect us to go 4 3 3
      Saintsfan
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #182: Aug 19, 2014 12:37:47 pm
      I am reading this thread with a modicom of amusement.
      It seems to have gone along the lines of:
      Welcome home
      He's rubbish/too fat/too slow/too expensive
      Why do we need a big fella up front
      He won't fit into the Liverhampton squad/system
      And then after watching him play - Oh, actually he's quite good.

If he is played as a big man up front he will fail.
      Sir Rickie's skill is holding the ball, bringing faster palyers into play and spotting the killer pass.
      He is more of a midfielder than an out and out striker
      He can score goals with the best of them but his true value is in creating them

Loveren on the other hand is a liability. He will cost you games and any chance of a champion's league place next year with his poor decision making.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #183: Aug 19, 2014 02:15:46 pm
      I am reading this thread with a modicom of amusement.
      It seems to have gone along the lines of:
      Welcome home
      He's rubbish/too fat/too slow/too expensive
      Why do we need a big fella up front
      He won't fit into the Liverhampton squad/system
      And then after watching him play - Oh, actually he's quite good.

If he is played as a big man up front he will fail.
      Sir Rickie's skill is holding the ball, bringing faster palyers into play and spotting the killer pass.
      He is more of a midfielder than an out and out striker
      He can score goals with the best of them but his true value is in creating them

Loveren on the other hand is a liability. He will cost you games and any chance of a champion's league place next year with his poor decision making.

Don't be a bitter bellend just cos you're team got bet. I think we can judge Lovren for ourselves.

Quick Reply