Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 284090 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Jan 21, 2017 11:20:15 pm
      He's still a kid in many ways, but also a German international.
      I think we can all agree that Germany pick players because they are good players.

It's inevitable that his form will fluctuate at his age, but the lad is a pure beast when he's on his game and will only get better.

If people don't know what he brings, then maybe they're looking at him wrong.

What does he bring, is it headed goals, no, is it accurate passes, no, is it goals from distance, no, so what the duck does he bring to our midfield at the moment?
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #1381: Jan 21, 2017 11:59:19 pm
      Yep, agree that he's getting some stick which is way OTT.

I don't . He is average at best. He seems to think he has 2-3 minutes on the ball. Wasteful with the ball and slow to react. Another average player in our midfield. Not the level we require.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1382: Jan 22, 2017 12:29:10 am
      It`s no coincidence that the fluidity of the midfield and front three from the first games has gone to shits the moment Coutinho got injured and he replaced Lallana in the midfield as he was moved up front.
      Why move Lallana when he was a beast in the midfield just to accomodate Can, as someone above has said he bring absolutely fck all that Henderson or Wijnaldum don`t do.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1383: Jan 22, 2017 04:43:32 pm
      He's still a kid in many ways, but also a German international.
      I think we can all agree that Germany pick players because they are good players.

It's inevitable that his form will fluctuate at his age, but the lad is a pure beast when he's on his game and will only get better.

If people don't know what he brings, then maybe they're looking at him wrong.

There's not a book in the world that would tell us what he brings.

What he brings is his clumsy, bull in a china shop approach.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1384: Jan 22, 2017 04:47:58 pm
      There's not a book in the world that would tell us what he brings.

What he brings is his clumsy, bull in a china shop approach.

This.

He has zero game intelligence.

This is his third season here now and he has not progressed even 1%.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1385: Jan 22, 2017 04:55:54 pm
      This.

He has zero game intelligence.

This is his third season here now and he has not progressed even 1%.

Agree, I had high hopes for him, but he is crap and not improving. Only one person disagrees with us, unfortunately he's the manager. :-(
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1386: Jan 22, 2017 06:36:31 pm
      Agree, I had high hopes for him, but he is crap and not improving.   Only one person disagrees with us, unfortunately he's the manager. :-(

Am I? I haven't heard yet, f****** hell I'll hand the pub keys in and get meself up to Liverpool sharpish!

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1387: Jan 22, 2017 06:44:12 pm
      Am I? I haven't heard yet, f****** hell I'll hand the pub keys in and get meself up to Liverpool sharpish!

Cheers mate just please don't bring Can with you ;)
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1388: Jan 22, 2017 07:46:06 pm
      I've been wondering if he could perhaps be played again as a CB. I remember he was MOTM a fair amount of games when played in that position. As a CM so far my impression is that he is too slow, both in posession and when pressing. I do agree that he is just a kid, and we've had some players do pretty impressive turnarounds or improvements in their carreers, like Lallana or Hendo. If Klopp thinks he's good enough to play (which I'm not sure is not related to squad limitations) then I'll force myself to be patient.

However, I have to admit I'd rather see him dropped from the starting eleven (or played as a CB). Lallana is fundamental in our midfield, and I'd rather see him played in our mid 3 and Ojo/Moreno/Sturridge played as a winger than having Lallana upfront and Can in the midfield.
      Augustine Hayfron
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #1389: Jan 23, 2017 12:33:26 am
      Emre Can should miss 3games he has causing us problems
      Augustine Hayfron
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #1390: Jan 23, 2017 12:34:11 am
      Emre Can should not start our next 3games
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #1391: Jan 23, 2017 10:15:49 am
      Can has a good game vs ManU then his later games he's like a headless chicken. So like many on here even I'm Emre's fan I'm start to doubt his development and his future. Can also a bit injury prone and seem not player with quick brain on the pitch so for me if he will has some chance to become a top player it's only by Klopp's miracle (like he did on Adam Lallana) and I will wait to see with patient.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1392: Jan 23, 2017 11:19:18 am
      Can has a good game vs ManU then his later games he's like a headless chicken. So like many on here even I'm Emre's fan I'm start to doubt his development and his future. Can also a bit injury prone and seem not player with quick brain on the pitch so for me if he will has some chance to become a top player it's only by Klopp's miracle (like he did on Adam Lallana) and I will wait to see with patient.

Your right he was arguably the best outfield player against the Mancs and this the sort of game where he can be useful.

But against the likes of Swansea at home there is no point, he just doesn't have the skill set to play as a CM.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #1393: Jan 23, 2017 12:33:23 pm
      After that stunning performance against Villarreal in the second leg last season I thought we had a proper player on our hands here. But he's just gone backwards spectacularly since then.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet but he definitely needs a spell out of the team so we can get Lallana back in the middle.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1394: Jan 23, 2017 12:41:37 pm
      Always thought his best position was the holding mid a number 6. Seemed to have the tenacity and vision for it but not sure right now he was woeful in that position against a league 2 side.

Biggest issues for me is he tends to overplay the ball he needs discipline and direction to his game fortunetly both can be coached.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1395: Jan 23, 2017 03:44:21 pm
      After that stunning performance against Villarreal in the second leg last season I thought we had a proper player on our hands here. But he's just gone backwards spectacularly since then.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet but he definitely needs a spell out of the team so we can get Lallana back in the middle.

He was superb in that game mate but Villareal really sat off us and gave him all the time in the world, he absolutely ran the game but in the semi-final against Dortmund a couple of weeks earlier with both teams pressing the life out of eachother in midfield he simply couldn't keep up. When he has time to get his head up and pick a pass he can be a good player and from time to time he is outstanding BUT his drawbacks in my opinion are:

- He takes too many touches and rarely plays off one or two touches
      - He often gets caught by the press (from behind) and misses his pass or is dispossessed as a result
      - Our midfield three have been excellent this season because they have set the tempo for our passing game, whenever we have played well it's been all quick passes, simply triangles and good movement. Emre slows all that down.
      - When we lose the ball he is (for me) too slow on the turn, he has always looked a bit heavy for me and could do with leaning up to try and improve his quickness and agility.

His strengths are:

- He is strong
      - He can run with the ball (albeit he doesn't do it often enough)
      - He does have some vision in his passing (albeit he doesn't seem to see things quickly enough for much of the time)
      - He can strike a ball (but should score more than he does)
      - He isn't a bad header of the ball

Earlier in the thread someone suggested he was only young and will no doubt improve BUT he is 23, and I've never held to this concept that all players improve. More often than not they get shipped to a lesser club where the expectations are less and their performances are acceptable at their new club. I suspect Can will be in this situation in 12 months time.

I'd be interested to know how posters would measure up Emre Chan to Jonjo Shelvey? I would argue they are quite similar in several ways possessing a lot of similar traits (both good and bad). Is Emre really any better than Shelvey was/is? I think he probably is but not by much.

Interesting to hear some calling for him to have another run out at CB, he would certainly be a huge upgrade on Lovren and Klavan in terms of ability on the ball and building play from the back BUT I think his lack of quickness and slowness on the turn would soon change people's minds again.
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017 09:25:17 pm by Scottbot »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1396: Jan 23, 2017 07:54:29 pm
      He was superb in that game mate but Villareal really sat off us and gave him all the time in the world, he absolutely ran the game but in the semi-final against Dortmund a couple of weeks later with both teams pressing the life out of eachother in midfield he simply couldn't keep up. When he has time to get his head up and pick a pass he can be a good player and from time to time he is outstanding BUT his drawbacks in my opinion are:

- He takes too many touches and rarely plays off one or two touches
      - He often gets caught by the press (from behind) and misses his pass or is dispossessed as a result
      - Our midfield three have been excellent this season because they have set the tempo for our passing game, whenever we have played well it's been all quick passes, simply triangles and good movement. Emre slows all that down.
      - When we lose the ball he is (for me) too slow on the turn, he has always looked a bit heavy for me and could do with leaning up to try and improve his quickness and agility.

His strengths are:

- He is strong
      - He can run with the ball (albeit he doesn't do it often enough)
      - He does have some vision in his passing (albeit he doesn't seem to see things quickly enough for much of the time)
      - He can strike a ball (but should score more than he does)
      - He isn't a bad header of the ball

Earlier in the thread someone suggested he was only young and will no doubt improve BUT he is 23, and I've never held to this concept that all players improve. More often than not they get shipped to a lesser club where the expectations are less and their performances are acceptable at their new club. I suspect Can will be in this situation in 12 months time.

I'd be interested to know how posters would measure up Emre Chan to Jonjo Shelvey? I would argue they are quite similar in several ways possessing a lot of similar traits (both good and bad). Is Emre really any better than Shelvey was/is? I think he probably is but not by much.

Interesting to hear some calling for him to have another run out at CB, he would certainly be a huge upgrade on Lovren and Klavan in terms of ability on the ball and building play from the back BUT I think his lack of quickness and slowness on the turn would soon change people's minds again.

Mate the Dortmund game was the quarter final.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1397: Jan 23, 2017 09:24:41 pm
      Mate the Dortmund game was the quarter final.

So it was! Couple of weeks before I mean!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1398: Jan 23, 2017 09:45:58 pm

Emre has a brain, that's one major difference.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1399: Jan 23, 2017 10:05:07 pm
      Emre has a brain, that's one major difference.

It's a good point! Mere doesn't suffer brain farts like Shelvey. But in terms of ability and performance I don't see much difference. Mere smply hasn't kicked on as Fed suggests a bit earlier in this thread.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1400: Jan 23, 2017 10:05:20 pm
      The midfield general is what we hoped. An imposing figure who wouldn't let anything stand in his way. A man to maraud the midfield. But he's just pathetic - mimsy relegation fodder making mincemeat of him. It's abject and humiliating.

He's less Roy Keane, more Roy F***ing Cropper.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #1401: Jan 23, 2017 11:14:25 pm
      I don't  know why its not working for him because there's a player in there.

He tries to do too much at times maybe and needs to go back to doing the basics well.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1402: Jan 24, 2017 02:56:25 pm
      James Pearce on Can's future at Liverpool:

"No, I wouldn’t say Emre Can is definitely off but his future is certainly up in the air.

He has been stalling over a new contract and clearly believes he’s worth more than Liverpool are offering".

Well he can get fu**ed if he wants more than he's being offered after his "performances" so far this season.

Quick Reply