Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 284179 times
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #805: Oct 04, 2015 07:47:09 pm
      Thought he played well today. Was unlucky for the goal, but I like him way better at CB than in our midfield
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #806: Oct 04, 2015 10:07:00 pm
      Can in CB is a failed experiment, he looks lost at times in that position and lacks the awareness needed.
      I like him as a CM, we saw glimpses of how he likes to be involved in attacks last season, so he could be a very good all round midfielder.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #807: Oct 04, 2015 10:27:12 pm
      Can goes on long surging runs and is no pushover - however, the runs end up with him giving the ball away or over running it and the sliding recklessly into a possible red card.

I don't think he has been good enough in the majority of our games and has not been good enough to get a role in midfield even when we have had injuries.

he looks like a unit, but gets beat ever so easily when the ball is in the air and gets turned easily when the ball is at a standstill

hopefully he kicks on and adds some finesse to his game. But as of now he is a liability at the back
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #808: Oct 05, 2015 10:08:40 am
      Can should be told IMHO that he is either going to become a box to box goal-scoring midfielder who is undroppable, or he won't get in the team. I don't think at his age he reads it well enough to be a holder, he definately isn't a centre half, so it's a poor mans Yaya Toure or nothing. Tell him we expect 10 goals a season, lots of assists, and a tonne of game changing contributions.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #809: Oct 05, 2015 10:38:35 am
      Can should be told IMHO that he is either going to become a box to box goal-scoring midfielder who is undroppable, or he won't get in the team. I don't think at his age he reads it well enough to be a holder, he definately isn't a centre half, so it's a poor mans Yaya Toure or nothing. Tell him we expect 10 goals a season, lots of assists, and a tonne of game changing contributions.

Best get telling the likes of Coutinho and Lallana to start producing if you think we should ever ask that of Can.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #810: Oct 05, 2015 11:38:45 am
      Him and Hendo will be Klopp's 2 in a 4 2 3 1 I think.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #811: Oct 05, 2015 12:31:09 pm
      Is NOT a defender so should never be played there again unless we have No other CBs (we had Kolo available) and would have had ilori if BR didnt sack him off after not even playing him. ohh and we have Gomez who would have done a better job there but BR has no tacticle awareness and deserved to go. Lets hope we get Klopp who knows the german players well and WILL get the best out of them.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #812: Oct 06, 2015 03:09:13 pm
      Really do not rate the lad. Poor in every position and minus the odd surging run offers very little to the team.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #813: Oct 06, 2015 04:27:10 pm
      He is only 21, I think given time and a settled position he can become a good player for us. I don't expect him to become world class, but someone who gives us a bit of strength and drive from midfield. He is faster than he sometimes looks, but needs to learn when to release the ball rather than running into dead ends.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #814: Oct 06, 2015 06:42:29 pm
      He is only 21, I think given time and a settled position he can become a good player for us. I don't expect him to become world class, but someone who gives us a bit of strength and drive from midfield. He is faster than he sometimes looks, but needs to learn when to release the ball rather than running into dead ends.

It's the settled position bit though. Where is best for that for him? Agree with what I heard somewhere the other day - nobody knows or has known what he is. Mad player.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #815: Oct 07, 2015 12:27:52 am
      Could be our Gundogan under Klopp?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #816: Oct 07, 2015 01:09:25 am
      Could be our Gundogan under Klopp?

By the way Gundogan has been talking I have hopes of Gundogan being our Gundogan!

Can is a strange one because I'm convinced his best position is that akin to Yaya Toure and he hasn't had a proper run out there so I've still high hopes for him there. I can't stand him at RB, think it's a liability, he hasn't the discipline nor true positional sense to play the DM role but he does have other qualities that we have not even come close to playing to.

Guess we'll find out soon enough, I think it might be a toss up between him and Milner, the loser probably moving on to another club if it's Can, or in Milner's case an expensive bench warmer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #817: Oct 07, 2015 01:17:25 am
      By the way Gundogan has been talking I have hopes of Gundogan being our Gundogan!

Can is a strange one because I'm convinced his best position is that akin to Yaya Toure and he hasn't had a proper run out there so I've still high hopes for him there. I can't stand him at RB, think it's a liability, he hasn't the discipline nor true positional sense to play the DM role but he does have other qualities that we have not even come close to playing to.

Guess we'll find out soon enough, I think it might be a toss up between him and Milner, the loser probably moving on to another club if it's Can, or in Milner's case an expensive bench warmer.

Starting to see a familiar pattern along with about another 6+ members of the squad.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #818: Oct 07, 2015 01:18:29 am

Exactly! 

Can is a strange one because I'm convinced his best position is that akin to Yaya Toure and he hasn't had a proper run out there so I've still high hopes for him there.

I agree 100%.  Although as I've said in the past, if Can really wants to kick on and be a force he needs to drop a stone. 

Milner will lose out but he's a mercenary so I won't shed any tears for him.  Would love to see a midfield of, say, Gundogan, Can and Bender.  Coutinho plus Sturridge and someone else in the front three.  We would destroy teams.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #819: Oct 07, 2015 01:51:59 am

Agree with that Luke don't want to see him deployed at RB or RCB  has some good attributes about him that could make him a quality central midfield player. Hand on heart though if it came down to who I would want to stay and win over that position it would be Can Milner just does not do it for me in the middle of the park. Great industry but not enough between the ears for me.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #820: Oct 07, 2015 02:01:20 am
      Agree with that Luke don't want to see him deployed at RB or RCB  has some good attributes about him that could make him a quality central midfield player. Hand on heart though if it came down to who I would want to stay and win over that position it would be Can Milner just does not do it for me in the middle of the park. Great industry but not enough between the ears for me.

Yep can't argue with that Dado.

If I'm 100% honest I've never truly rated Milner then I let myself get carried away with a bit of the "Joe Cole" optimism again, but despite a strong start he's gone downhill quiet alarmingly. As you say, plenty of industry, some talent but at the end of the day simply not quite good enough.

Although I will say that it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world for Milner to look a completely different player under Klopp as he has had to do a lot of his work deeper on the pitch, which again I don't think is where Milner is best employed.

Starting to see a familiar pattern along with about another 6+ members of the squad.

Couldn't agree more mate, so frustrating watching our lads in the wrong areas of the pitch, last season Can was near breaking point with frustration, when that's almost boiling over on match day I can't even begin to wonder what is going on in his head when he's off the pitch.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #821: Oct 07, 2015 02:29:34 am
      The only concern I have with Can at CM is his seeming lack of stamina and turn of speed.

I put this down to being rusty at the beginning but that cannot be the case now. He needs to lay off the kebabs, and lose 10 kg or so IMO. If Klopp demand 110% from his players in every game, pressing the ball etc. Can will have to up it on the treadmill.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #822: Oct 07, 2015 12:22:16 pm

Should only be one winner there Luke.

I think initially he might try Can and Hendo in a two.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #823: Oct 07, 2015 12:32:08 pm
      In no way should Milner be in central midfield.
      Mancini, Pellegrini and even Hodge don't trust him there.

Push him onto the right side of midfield or RB if needed and we will see a better player.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #824: Oct 08, 2015 08:45:29 am
      If his passing was quicker during the build up play, it would make our attacking alot more deadly.

Was anyone watching the Everton game and was shouting PASS NOW everytime he had the ball?? I know my whole household were!! But he likes to hold on to it for abit and give opposition players time to track back. His tackling and dribbling are very good i just think that is heavily missing in his game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #825: Oct 08, 2015 12:11:04 pm
      The only concern I have with Can at CM is his seeming lack of stamina and turn of speed.

I put this down to being rusty at the beginning but that cannot be the case now. He needs to lay off the kebabs, and lose 10 kg or so IMO. If Klopp demand 110% from his players in every game, pressing the ball etc. Can will have to up it on the treadmill.

You know some guys just aren't fast. Can could lose some weight and still have the acceleration of a dump truck. Not every player on the pitch needs to be a burner. Yaya isn't fast by any means. I'd rather Can have some beef about him to bully folks a bit.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #826: Oct 08, 2015 01:58:05 pm
      You know some guys just aren't fast. Can could lose some weight and still have the acceleration of a dump truck. Not every player on the pitch needs to be a burner. Yaya isn't fast by any means. I'd rather Can have some beef about him to bully folks a bit.

True.

I was considering from the perspective of a manager who demands hard pressing and stamina to keep at it for 90 mins. If he were to ask Can to do this, then a bit of weight loss would be the way to go to see whether he is lighter on his feet.

Alonso, was no Usain Bolt but as everyone knows, similar to Lucas in the deeper role, they are able to read the game like a Noddy story and make light of the pace they didn't have - Alonso especially. Whether, Can has the intelligence or is even required to be this disciplined player remains to be seen.

Even if it is a bully you'd like, he still needs to be fairly mobile IMO, Vieira, Keane, Gerrard (haven't seen much of Yaya), but I do know Yaya looks quite mobile - Can looks sluggish and the pace of the Prem IMO has highlighted this.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #827: Oct 08, 2015 06:09:00 pm
      I'm a little tired of people saying Can is slow...has anyone actually watched us play? He's deceptively quick, one of the fastest players in the team.

Quick Reply