Comics

Read 12227 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Comics
      Jun 13, 2014 04:04:19 pm
      Anyone here read comics and If so, what are you people reading?

I recently been reading Walking dead and finally caught up to issue #126. Must admit, It Is far better than the TV series.

Other comic's I have and about to start are the X-Men Story arcs (Days of Future past, Age of Apocalypse etc).
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Re: Comics
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2014 04:19:31 pm
      Alan Ford

excellent parody on Western society. Whit lot of black humor

For example they got a superhero which takes from the poor and gives to the rich.

Not sure if it is translated in English though
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2014 10:39:35 pm
      Im busy reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Quite into it so far and and really enjoying it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #3: Jun 14, 2014 12:05:02 pm
      Still the best!

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #4: Jul 15, 2014 12:00:44 am

Yep, I loved the Beano and Dandy when I was younger, so naturally as I got older I find this absolutely hilarious!

Couldn't care less about 'serious' comics like Marvel or whatever, because comics to me are the great British ones like The Beano and Viz which are entrenched in British humour and never take themselves seriously (the latter expert in crude!).
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2014 04:31:34 am
      I currently read:
      Batgirl
      Batman
      Batman and Robin
      Batman Detective Comic
      Batman Eternal
      Catwoman
      Doctor Who
      The Flash
      Grayson
      Green Arrow
      Green Lantern
      Green Lantern Corps
      Green Lantern: New Guardians
      Harley Quinn
      Justice League
      Justice League United
      The Multiversity
      New Suicide Squad
      Red Hood and The Outlaws
      Red Lanterns
      Sinestro

So yeah....I'm big on my comic books. As you can see I'm a huge DC fan. Dont get me wrong I do like Marvel,I just prefer DC. Of the titles I'm really enjoying Batman Eternal is at the top. Its been great since it started. It's great to see Hush back. Batman is amazing as well. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have done incredible work. The Zero Year arc that's just finished was truly amazing and I recommend it to all Batman fans. There's a big Green Lantern crossover starting soon and it looks promising.

I've stopped reading Injustice Gods Among Us Year Two. It started off strong but the last couple of issues have been really stale and boring.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Jan 23, 2018 09:56:27 pm
      Vinland Saga is probably one of the greatest adult manga's ever thus far. I hope Hollywood picks it up and Ridley Scott (Gladiator) or Zack Snyder (300) gets to direct it. Into book 4 now, and It's quite the masterpiece!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #7: Feb 07, 2018 08:25:10 pm
      Dug out a few of my old fav's from the attic a few months ago, hilarious stuff.. ;D 8)
      Glad I kept them, probably worth a few bob now.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #8: Mar 28, 2018 01:29:50 am
      Currently reading the Old Man Logan run. Excellent read. Wolverine was always my favorite character.  In this hes just a broken and alone Wolverine. I think "Logan" has been the best Marvel movie to date. Which was based on Old Man Logan.

Also the mid 00' Captain America runs were excellent. Read the Ed Brubaker runs. The Mark Waid series from the 90s were awesome. The 90s moved Cap from the rah, rah punching Hitler in the mouth to the modern MCU Captain. Brubakers Captain America introduced the Winter Soldier and the Civil War runs.... Cap was always a joke but those runs were great and made him an awesome character.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #9: Mar 28, 2018 05:36:57 am
      I currently read:
      Batgirl
      Batman
      Batman and Robin
      Batman Detective Comic
      Batman Eternal
      Catwoman
      Doctor Who
      The Flash
      Grayson
      Green Arrow
      Green Lantern
      Green Lantern Corps
      Harley Quinn
      Justice League
      Justice League United
      The Multiversity
      New Suicide Squad
      Red Hood and The Outlaws
      Red Lanterns
      Sinestro

So yeah....I'm big on my comic books. As you can see I'm a huge DC fan. Dont get me wrong I do like Marvel,I just prefer DC. Of the titles I'm really enjoying Batman Eternal is at the top. Its been great since it started. It's great to see Hush back. Batman is amazing as well. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have done incredible work. The Zero Year arc that's just finished was truly amazing and I recommend it to all Batman fans. There's a big Green Lantern crossover starting soon and it looks promising.

I've stopped reading Injustice Gods Among Us Year Two. It started off strong but the last couple of issues have been really stale and boring.

I was always a Marvel guy. But, i dont hate DC. Im disappointed in the DCU movies. They just are not that good. With the exception of the Man of Steel. I liked it. I liked Zod. I think it was the best Snyder DC film. The rest kind of suck. BVS was sh*t. Batman using guns, then throwing in Doomsday which should of been a separate movie. Instead of it just being BVS he did death of Superman, JLA and Doomsday for only 5 minutes. Lex is a weird foppish Jesse Eisenburg and hes Lex JUNIOR. Who pees in Tea bottles and for no reason blows up Congress. The fight is weird because they fight for no good reason. Then stop fighting because they both have moms named Martha?
      Suicide Squad is horrible.  That movie is sh*t and could of been good. Wonder Woman was the best DCU film so far.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #10: Mar 28, 2018 04:45:38 pm
      Suggestion... Garth Ennis's Preacher
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Mar 28, 2018 05:26:25 pm

My friend bought me a couple of volumes/ books few years ago, still haven't read them!!

I was always a Marvel guy. But, i dont hate DC. Im disappointed in the DCU movies. They just are not that good. With the exception of the Man of Steel. I liked it. I liked Zod. I think it was the best Snyder DC film. The rest kind of suck. BVS was sh*t. Batman using guns, then throwing in Doomsday which should of been a separate movie. Instead of it just being BVS he did death of Superman, JLA and Doomsday for only 5 minutes. Lex is a weird foppish Jesse Eisenburg and hes Lex JUNIOR. Who pees in Tea bottles and for no reason blows up Congress. The fight is weird because they fight for no good reason. Then stop fighting because they both have moms named Martha?
      Suicide Squad is horrible.  That movie is sh*t and could of been good. Wonder Woman was the best DCU film so far.

I hated the whole lot, kinda put me off DC stuff for now and the reason I am picking up Manga which is much easier to get into, but also, a lot darker and adult than DC/Marvel stuff.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #12: Mar 28, 2018 06:30:37 pm
      My friend bought me a couple of volumes/ books few years ago, still haven't read them!!

I hated the whole lot, kinda put me off DC stuff for now and the reason I am picking up Manga which is much easier to get into, but also, a lot darker and adult than DC/Marvel stuff.

READ!!! you will be wondering why you have never read them before... :) Also The Good Old Boys which is a spin off also by Garth Ennis, can't recommend them enough
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #13: Mar 28, 2018 06:38:21 pm
      Films are rarely anything like the comics and films have to be taken as a lose version of the original comic book story
      « Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018 12:23:18 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14: Mar 28, 2018 06:45:20 pm
      I currently read:
      Batgirl
      Batman
      Batman and Robin
      Batman Detective Comic
      Batman Eternal
      Catwoman
      Doctor Who
      The Flash
      Grayson
      Green Arrow
      Green Lantern
      Green Lantern Corps
      Harley Quinn
      Justice League
      Justice League United
      The Multiversity
      New Suicide Squad
      Red Hood and The Outlaws
      Red Lanterns
      Sinestro

Old favorites... Justice League International. and Justice League Europe, Peter David's (writer) Aquilani, also the Lobo collection Some real fun stuff there
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #15: Apr 01, 2018 02:59:00 am
      Anyone read. POWERS. Image title written by Bendis? Its about Superheroes being outlawed and someone's murdering old superheroes.  Its a Superman whos a cop.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Apr 01, 2018 04:59:22 pm
      Anyone read. POWERS. Image title written by Bendis? Its about Superheroes being outlawed and someone's murdering old superheroes.  Its a Superman whos a cop.

Again, I pretty much have all the volumes (I think all), but  not got round to them.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #17: Apr 02, 2018 02:22:51 am
      Again, I pretty much have all the volumes (I think all), but  not got round to them.

I got the first 2-20. I might look on Ebay for a #1. I havent collected in 15 yrs. I currently have about 16 comic boxes. Approx. 2500 books. Most Modern and Bronze age books. The full run of Web of Spiderman. And misc unfinished runs.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #18: Apr 02, 2018 02:27:13 am
      My current wants are a Giant Size Xmen, Hulk 181 and I need #2 and 3 of the Wolverine mini series, his first Solo run. I have the first 6 Wolverine books then its misc #'s.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #19: Apr 02, 2018 02:33:29 pm
      I got the first 2-20. I might look on Ebay for a #1. I havent collected in 15 yrs. I currently have about 16 comic boxes. Approx. 2500 books. Most Modern and Bronze age books. The full run of Web of Spiderman. And misc unfinished runs.

I used to collect books/volumes instead of issues and not read them ;D. You should see how much I have !! Pretty much 40+ boxes , and I probably haven't read 30 boxes worth.

I most likely won't read them anytime soon or ever, but hopefully, my daughters will grow up into geeks and get to enjoy all the stories I collected!

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #20: Apr 03, 2018 02:01:26 pm
      I used to collect books/volumes instead of issues and not read them ;D. You should see how much I have !! Pretty much 40+ boxes , and I probably haven't read 30 boxes worth.

I most likely won't read them anytime soon or ever, but hopefully, my daughters will grow up into geeks and get to enjoy all the stories I collected!

I have a few of the Marvel paperbacks. I have the first Astonishing Xmen with Joss Whedon writing. Its excellent.  One of my favorite X-Men arcs. Im really hoping Marvel get the movie rights back for X-Men. For the most part I liked the X-Men films. They had some issues. I loved Logan. It was the best "X-Men" film. I loved how they showed him as a broken, bitter man. Which is how he is in the comics.

I would love for Joss Whedon to do another MCU film especially if it was his own X-Men book.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: Apr 03, 2018 02:11:56 pm
      I have a few of the Marvel paperbacks. I have the first Astonishing Xmen with Joss Whedon writing. Its excellent.  One of my favorite X-Men arcs.

Isn't that the arc about Professor X's twin sister or something? (been such a long time) If so, that was one of the best stories I have read!!!! I may have to dig it out and give it a re-read!!!!!

For the most part I liked the X-Men films. They had some issues. I loved Logan. It was the best "X-Men" film. I loved how they showed him as a broken, bitter man. Which is how he is in the comics.

I would love for Joss Whedon to do another MCU film especially if it was his own X-Men book.

I didn't like his Avengers, nor did I like his shitty Justice League. I think he should stick to TV series and comic books :D But imagine his Astonishing X-Men arc coming to life on screen :O

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #22: Apr 03, 2018 10:00:45 pm
      Wedons Astonishing X-Men run had Ord of the Breakworld. It was the first appearance of Ord. Who was a great villain. Ord came to Earth to destroy mutants and stop them from destroying his planet. He used technology from his planet and used Colossus to go after mutants. John Cassady did the art. After Whedon left it was written by Warren Ellis.

The Captain America films Winter Soldier and Civil War are by far the best MCU films. Followed up by Guardians. I liked the Avenger's .It was a little too Disney. It should of been more serious like the books. It does a good job of showing how much of an asshole Iron Man is. He created most of the villains and problems, then tells the team they're bad because of the way they fight Starks enemies. I loved seeing Cap knock the sh*t out him.

Whedon really shouldn't of been blamed for JL. He was brought in at post production and for reshoots. The majority of that movie was still Zack Snyder.

Quick Reply