Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Luis Suarez: The Bite - Part 3

Read 29117 times
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Luis Suarez: The Bite - Part 3
      Reply #690: Jul 10, 2014 05:37:08 pm
      I can only wish him well and whilst his agent maybe motivated by money I do not think this is Luis's motivation for moving. Last season we witnessed one of the worlds best players take the premier league apart and it will be good to look back and remember just how much he did for us. Still hope he stays but good luck to the lad whatever he does.

we'll all have amazing memories of that 31 goal season (31 right?) but I am already looking at it as a man who thought he was bigger than Liverpool FC. he was the Liverpool show and that was cool for a while because he was the best striker in the world that season, but we forgot our values I think. he never really loved this club. i never loved him, just appreciated his work. i'm just looking forward to seeing the back of him now and getting markovic and lallana and others into the side. i'm excited by people who want to play for Liverpool not use us as a stepping stone.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #691: Jul 10, 2014 07:24:59 pm
      Sorry if I'm a bit late, but anyway - I think the hyperbole being employed with regards to Suarez by the press and opposition fans is absolutely ridiculous and just betrays the agenda many seem to posses. I'd much rather support a team with someone like Suarez than with a cowardly scumbag who slapped his wife around like George Best. Or played around with his own brother's wife for 8 yrs like Giggs. Or threw a boot at one of his player's forehead for playing poorly (Fergie). Or deliberately broken someone's leg (Keane). Suarez's behaviour, whilst obviously completely ridiculous, has never done anyone any significant damage. Best, on the other hand, repeatedly kicked, punched and ridiculed (e.g. cutting off her hair, drawing on her with a marker pen) a vulnerable woman whom he was supposed to protect and support. So sorry if I find the melodramatic and, quite frankly, absurd vilification of Suarez by the English media all a bit nauseating. OK, he bit someone. Yes, he's an idiot and a bit of a nobhead. No, Danny Mills, he doesn't deserve to get locked up you clueless cretin.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #692: Jul 11, 2014 08:54:01 am
      Sorry if I'm a bit late, but anyway - I think the hyperbole being employed with regards to Suarez by the press and opposition fans is absolutely ridiculous and just betrays the agenda many seem to posses. I'd much rather support a team with someone like Suarez than with a cowardly scumbag who slapped his wife around like George Best. Or played around with his own brother's wife for 8 yrs like Giggs. Or threw a boot at one of his player's forehead for playing poorly (Fergie). Or deliberately broken someone's leg (Keane). Suarez's behaviour, whilst obviously completely ridiculous, has never done anyone any significant damage. Best, on the other hand, repeatedly kicked, punched and ridiculed (e.g. cutting off her hair, drawing on her with a marker pen) a vulnerable woman whom he was supposed to protect and support. So sorry if I find the melodramatic and, quite frankly, absurd vilification of Suarez by the English media all a bit nauseating. OK, he bit someone. Yes, he's an idiot and a bit of a nobhead. No, Danny Mills, he doesn't deserve to get locked up you clueless cretin.

You're totally right of course. Think about this though; why was Suarez still whinging like a child after the England game? About how the media here hate him. He may be onto something n' all that but it was in his mind enough for him to bring it up and send negative waves through the Liverpool camp with his fragile mental state at times.
      His mind is a pretty odd place I'd have to surmise so, it's better for us to be done with these tantrums and move on, let him enjoy his time with Barcelona.
      I will miss his style of football but not his bag of lemons face.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #693: Jul 11, 2014 09:03:54 am
      I am already looking at it as a man who thought he was bigger than Liverpool FC

I think that's very harsh.  At no point to me did he ever seem to think he was Billy Big Bollocks.

The other players, manager, directors and fans were his PR machine - but he was from all accounts an exceptionally hard grafter in training and on the pitch.

Let's not re-write history on this one.  He was a stunning player for us and despite all his flaws the vast majority of us would rather he stayed because he's a match-winner and LFC will be a much poorer team without him.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #694: Jul 11, 2014 10:33:20 am
      I think that's very harsh.  At no point to me did he ever seem to think he was Billy Big Bollocks.

The other players, manager, directors and fans were his PR machine - but he was from all accounts an exceptionally hard grafter in training and on the pitch.

Let's not re-write history on this one.  He was a stunning player for us and despite all his flaws the vast majority of us would rather he stayed because he's a match-winner and LFC will be a much poorer team without him.
      Why would he engineering a move away for the 2nd summer in a row if he didn't think he was bigger than the club? Obviously he thinks only Barca and Real are big enough for him now.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #695: Jul 11, 2014 10:54:23 am
      Why would he engineering a move away for the 2nd summer in a row if he didn't think he was bigger than the club? Obviously he thinks only Barca and Real are big enough for him now.

A player wanting to play for another foreign teams does not equate to them believing they are bigger than their current club, you have to factor in many reasons why Luis wants to leave.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #696: Jul 11, 2014 12:54:55 pm
      I'll probably get ripped for this, but I will be consider Luis a legend after he leaves. :couch:  Sure he was a tw*t  last summer, but he still give his all for us on the field, and that's what I look for in my legends.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #697: Jul 11, 2014 01:02:00 pm
      A player wanting to play for another foreign teams does not equate to them believing they are bigger than their current club, you have to factor in many reasons why Luis wants to leave.
      I'm sure there are many reasons for him leaving, but the driving factor will be that Barcelona are a bigger club than Liverpool.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #698: Jul 11, 2014 01:53:38 pm
      I'm sure there are many reasons for him leaving, but the driving factor will be that Barcelona are a bigger club than Liverpool.

I take it you have a tin hat
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #699: Jul 11, 2014 01:57:53 pm

Driving factor being that the in-laws live in Spain, his wife lived and studied there and I suppose he wants his kids to grow up there.

He's played his part, gave his all, didn't once sulk on the pitch unlike Torres and the club profited off him with this big move abroad without strengthening a team in our country and league.

It would of been nice to show the mad b***ard what proper European nights are all about - would love to get Barca if we get through to the knockout stages and outsing their sh*te fans at the nou camp again!
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #700: Jul 11, 2014 02:10:10 pm
      Driving factor being that the in-laws live in Spain, his wife lived and studied there and I suppose he wants his kids to grow up there.

He's played his part, gave his all, didn't once sulk on the pitch unlike Torres and the club profited off him with this big move abroad without strengthening a team in our country and league.

It would of been nice to show the mad b***ard what proper European nights are all about - would love to get Barca if we get through to the knockout stages and outsing their sh*te fans at the nou camp again!
      Tbh you're right in that we'll never know with 100% certainty what his overriding motivation was as we don't know him personally so everyone will naturally believe what he wants to. Whilst it would be nice to think he did it because his family pleaded with him to do so, him being a professional footballer and me being fairly cynical, I very much doubt that. But if you want to believe that the driving factor behind is move was to live with his in-laws rather than play for one of the top 2 clubs in the world then go for it.

Put it this way - if you'd asked him as a kid which club he'd prefer to play for when he grew up: Liverpool or Barca - then you can bet he wouldn't have said Liverpool. And, objectively speaking, which club is the more likely to be very successful in the next 5 years?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #701: Jul 11, 2014 02:23:36 pm
      Luis Suarez: Liverpool & Barcelona agree £75m deal for striker

Liverpool have agreed to sell striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona for a fee thought to be about £75m.

The Uruguayan, 27, who is serving a four-month ban for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup, will sign a five-year deal.

Suarez, who scored 31 league goals last season, will travel to the Spanish club next week for a medical.
      "Luis is a very special talent and I thank him for the role he has played," said Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers.

Suarez - last season's Premier League top scorer and winner of the PFA and Football Writers' Player of the Year awards - signed for Liverpool from Ajax in 2011 for £22.7m, and had four years left on his contract.

The move to Barcelona takes Suarez closer to his wife Sofia's family.

"I hope you can all understand why I have made this decision," said the striker, who is banned from "all football-related activity" until the end of October as he serves his third suspension for biting an opponent.

"This club did all they could to get me to stay, but playing and living in Spain, where my wife's family live, is a lifelong dream and ambition. I believe now the timing is right."

When he is eventually eligible to play again, Barcelona will have a formidable front line including Argentine Lionel Messi and Brazilian Neymar, as the club rebuilds under new coach Luis Enrique after its first season without a major trophy in six years.

If the transfer fee is confirmed at £75m, it will be the third biggest in football history after Gareth Bale (£86m Tottenham to Real Madrid, 2013) and Cristiano Ronaldo (£80m Manchester United to Real Madrid, 2009)

"It is with a heavy heart that I leave Liverpool for a new life and new challenges in Spain," said Suarez.

"Both me and my family have fallen in love with this club (Liverpool) and with the city, but most of all I have fallen in love with the incredible fans.

"You have always supported me and we, as a family, will never forget it. We will always be Liverpool supporters."

In his statement, released on Liverpool's official website, Suarez concluded: "Thank you again for some great moments and memories. You'll Never Walk Alone."

Barcelona face a logistical conundrum regarding his presentation as their player - usually done at the Nou Camp which is opened up to fans - as his worldwide suspension extends to entering any football ground.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28180600

LFC statement: Suarez to leave

Liverpool Football Club today issued the following statement in relation to the future of Luis Suarez.

Liverpool FC confirms that Luis Suarez will be leaving the club after a transfer agreement was reached with FC Barcelona. The player now has permission to complete the usual formalities, which will then conclude the transfer.

We would like to thank Luis for his contribution and the role he played in helping bring Champions League football back to Anfield.

Everyone at Liverpool Football Club wishes Luis and his family well for the future.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/166178-lfc-statement-suarez-to-leave

Statement from Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez today issued the following statement to the club's official website, Liverpoolfc.com.

"It is with a heavy heart that I leave Liverpool for a new life and new challenges in Spain. Both me and my family have fallen in love with this club and with the city.

"But most of all I have fallen in love with the incredible fans. You have always supported me and we, as a family, will never forget it, we will always be Liverpool supporters.

"I hope you can all understand why I have made this decision. This club did all they could to get me to stay, but playing and living in Spain, where my wife's family live, is a lifelong dream and ambition. I believe now the timing is right.

"I wish Brendan Rodgers and the team well for the future. The club is in great hands and I'm sure will be successful again next season.

"I am very proud I have played my part in helping to return Liverpool to the elite of the Premier League and in particular back into the Champions League.

"Thank you again for some great moments and memories. You'll Never Walk Alone."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/166181-statement-from-luis-suarez

LFC statement: Rodgers on Suarez

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers today issued the below statement following the announcement that an agreement has been reached with Barcelona for Luis Suarez to leave the club.

"Luis is a very special talent and I thank him for the role he has played in the team in the past two years, during my time at Liverpool.

"I think he would be the first to accept he has improved as a player over that period, along with the team and has benefited from being here, as we have benefited from him.

"The club have done all they can over a sustained period of time to try to keep Luis at Liverpool. It is with great reluctance and following lengthy discussions we have eventually agreed to his wishes to move to Spain for new experiences and challenges. We wish him and his young family well; we will always consider them to be friends.

"We are focused on the future, as we strive to continue with the progress we have made and build on last season's excellent Barclays Premier League campaign.

"I am confident we will improve the team further and will be stronger for this coming season, when we will be competing on all fronts; domestically and in the greatest club competition in the world, the Champions League.

"If there is one thing the history of this great club teaches us, it is that Liverpool FC is bigger than any individual. I hope our supporters continue to dream and believe that we are moving forward and with continued improvement and progression, together we will bring the success we all crave and deserve."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/166179-lfc-statement-rodgers-on-suarez
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #702: Jul 11, 2014 02:27:20 pm
      I genuinely thought that CL football would be enough to keep him here.

I should have known better I suppose.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #703: Jul 11, 2014 02:33:48 pm
      I genuinely thought that CL football would be enough to keep him here.

I should have known better I suppose.

the important thing is what happens next because 19 premier league team just thought we are now an easier fixture.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #704: Jul 11, 2014 03:02:44 pm
      No longer our problem, so going to move this thread to general football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #705: Jul 11, 2014 03:33:56 pm

Just to add I'm going to miss the mad, narky, boss nut-megging little b***ard!

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #706: Jul 11, 2014 03:50:13 pm
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Good bye Luis, all the best!  ;)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #707: Jul 11, 2014 04:33:40 pm
      Suarez lawyer hits out at FIFA
      Luis Suarez's lawyer has condemned FIFA's punishment of the Uruguay striker for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini as "draconian, totalitarian and fascist", and said an appeal will go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Speaking just before Barcelona and Liverpool confirmed reaching an agreement for the transfer of Suarez to the Catalan club, Alejandro Balbi reacted angrily to FIFA's announcement on Thursday that an initial appeal from both Suarez and the Uruguayan Football Federation (AUF) had been rejected.

Suarez had appealed against FIFA's sanctions, which include a ban on "all football-related activities" for four months, a nine-match ban from international football, as well as a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs (£66,000).

The ban prohibits Suarez from attending football matches, training with Uruguay or his club and attending functions organised by his team - a penalty which will now be borne by Barcelona following Suarez's move.

In an interview with Spanish radio station Cope, Suarez's lawyer Alejandro Balbi hit out at football's global organising body and confirmed an appeal would go forward in an attempt to see the ban reduced.

"We hope they revoke this sanction that is blatantly draconian, totalitarian and fascist," said Balbi.

"The right of a footballer to work is being violated, and football should be worried about that. The nine (international) games may seem excessive, but the fact that he can't watch a game of football, or train or carry out his job, we are talking about unpleasant things."

Although Suarez initially denied biting Chiellini, claiming in his defence that he "lost balance" and "hit my face against the player", he later issued a public apology to the Juventus defender, who in turn accepted the apology and said the ban imposed on Suarez was excessive.

However, neither Suarez nor Chiellini's latest responses could persuade FIFA to alter its stance.

"Luis recognised his error but we've seen that for FIFA saying sorry is not an important factor," added Balbi.

"Justice will take its time but it will come.

"We knew that FIFA would uphold the ban because they are corporatists. We will not stop, we are going to go to the CAS and we will keep taking the juridical path that is available to us."

If Suarez does to go CAS, he could ask the court to suspend the ban pending a final decision. CAS may refuse to do so but, if it agrees, it could mean Suarez being available at the start of the domestic season.

The downside, however, is that if CAS puts the ban on hold, it means that, instead of Suarez being banned for a month of the close season when no clubs are playing, he would instead face being out for even longer when the campaign starts.

http://t.sport.uk.msn.com/football/suarez-lawyer-hits-out-at-fifa
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6708 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #708: Jul 11, 2014 11:08:26 pm
       :f_wah:

Shattered.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #709: Jul 12, 2014 11:57:18 am
      How can he have his picture taken by media in his new clubs shirt?

isnt that against his ban?

Not that i care ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #710: Jul 12, 2014 02:49:56 pm
      Put it this way - if you'd asked him as a kid which club he'd prefer to play for when he grew up: Liverpool or Barca - then you can bet he wouldn't have said Liverpool. And, objectively speaking, which club is the more likely to be very successful in the next 5 years?

Doubt Barca either tbh, when Luis was a kid, I'd say them Catalan bas**rds were still only on one European Cup!!

Over the next five years we'll end up back where we belong and as the song goes Barcelona - there's F**k all down for you!

MsGerrard
      Reply #711: Jul 12, 2014 10:36:32 pm
      Absolutely gutted he's gone....he's going to be massively missed by us next season.....I agree with Huyton Red, would have been great to see him grace the Anfield turf on a Champions League night, he would have excelled for sure. One of the best I've ever seen in a RED shirt. Always gave 120% without fail every game......thanks for a memorable season last season Luis, I for one will never forget it.

Quick Reply