Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Adam Lallana (End of contract, BHA)

Read 225265 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Adam Lallana Player Thread
      Reply #851: Oct 21, 2015 03:25:41 pm
      No he doesn't. Coutinho has been slated on here on several occasions for his inability to pass the ball in order to constantly shoot no where near the goal or for generally going missing. There have also been calls on here for him to be benched for a few games. Also gets criticesd for his lack of consistency. But, when he turns up he is near on unplayable so that's why he will get a bit more slack.

Yes, he does. It's only been the last the couple of games that Coutinho has been criticized, and even then it's been nowhere near what Lallana gets every week. It's the inconsistency in criticism that bothers me. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #852: Oct 21, 2015 03:44:25 pm
      Yes, he does. It's only been the last the couple of games that Coutinho has been criticized, and even then it's been nowhere near what Lallana gets every week. It's the inconsistency in criticism that bothers me. 

If Lallana scored or did some of the things Coutinho does with a ball, he wouldn't be criticised.

Simples.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #853: Oct 21, 2015 03:49:14 pm
      If Lallana scored or did some of the things Coutinho does with a ball, he wouldn't be criticised.

Simples.

In the league last season, Lallana scored the same number of goals as Coutinho did (5) despite playing 1,000 less minutes. Their outputs are very similar over 90.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #854: Oct 21, 2015 03:58:45 pm
      Seems to split fans the Lamb. Some love him, some hate him.

Personally think he is decent, and was one of our best players last season until he got injured (again).

If he stays fit he can be very good IMO.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #855: Oct 21, 2015 04:01:23 pm
      Seems to split fans the Lamb. Some love him, some hate him.

Personally think he is decent, and was one of our best players last season until he got injured (again).

If he stays fit he can be very good IMO.

Some people don't like him because he isn't living up to his price tag or his form with Southampton.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #856: Oct 21, 2015 04:18:46 pm
      Been very average since he came. I expected a bit more than we have seen so far, but I did gave him m.o.t.m. against Spurs. I don't think he suited Brendan's style of football, hopefully he will suit Klopp's more.

Needs to start making a few goals though... but that should be a bit easier once Sturridge is fit.   
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #857: Oct 21, 2015 04:32:58 pm

No he doesn't and he has had the criticism for a over the last season now for the reason I stated.

Also, Lallana cost near on triple what Coutinho did and has a lot more experience in English football so the fact that their "output" is similar doesn't shine a good light on Lallana now does it. Also when Coutinho is in top form it's not just goals or assists, his all round play is fantastic and that's something you don't get with Lallana. You won't come away from watching a game and think "Wow, Lallana just bossed that match".
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #858: Oct 21, 2015 04:34:15 pm
      In the league last season, Lallana scored the same number of goals as Coutinho did (5) despite playing 1,000 less minutes. Their outputs are very similar over 90.

Outputs?

Sorry I don't go on stats, just what I see before my very eyes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #859: Oct 21, 2015 05:16:55 pm
      We'll probably see more of the Lallana in the 10 role once we have cashed in on the little Brazilian.

*Post contains sarcasm.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #860: Oct 21, 2015 06:39:48 pm
      We'll probably see more of the Lallana in the 10 role once we have cashed in on the little Brazilian.

*Post contains sarcasm.

hahahaha shabs probably end up being spot on with that one though.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #861: Oct 21, 2015 09:00:41 pm
      No he doesn't and he has had the criticism for a over the last season now for the reason I stated.

Also, Lallana cost near on triple what Coutinho did and has a lot more experience in English football so the fact that their "output" is similar doesn't shine a good light on Lallana now does it. Also when Coutinho is in top form it's not just goals or assists, his all round play is fantastic and that's something you don't get with Lallana. You won't come away from watching a game and think "Wow, Lallana just bossed that match".

Consistency and poor shooting has been the main criticism of Coutinho, you are correct. But it's typically never been over the top like it is for Lallana. This is the first season where it seems to be a more consistent and high level at Philippe.

The transfer fee argument is nonsense. The players don't set their own fee, and even then it requires a ton of context. Coutinho wasn't getting a game for Inter; Lallana was Southampton's captain. Coutinho is foreign; Lallana is English; Inter was in need of money; Bournemouth had a sell-on clause for Lallana. All that little crap adds up. If Lallana was Spanish and started for Malaga, for example, he goes for a lot less. Likewise, on the back of his loan spell at Espanyol, Coutinho would have netted a much bigger transfer fee that summer window. Not playing lowered his fee considerably.

As for experience, Lallana only had a half season more in the Premier League than Coutinho did, and lower division football is hardly top flight football in any country, let alone like the Prem!   

I'm all about those intangibles Coutinho brings, by the way. Each of them brings something different (Coutinho's touch and passing ability vs Lallana's pressing ability, as one example). People will always see what they want to see. James Milner, for example, is unrated by half the fanbase but every manager he's been under -- from the crap ones to the league title-winners -- loves him, including Jürgen Klopp (so far anyway!).

Outputs?

Sorry I don't go on stats, just what I see before my very eyes.

Things like goals and, to a slightly lesser extent, assists. There are always intangibles that can't be quantified, of course, but when people say things like "Lallana needs to score more," it's bullshit because his goals-per-game ratio is equivalent to the player through whom the entire attack runs. They all need to score more. The rate we're going, we might not crack 50 goals this season ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #862: Oct 21, 2015 10:03:33 pm
      Good squad player but as one of the three in a 4231 does he have the pace, power and dribbling skills to cut in and create or score for himself?

Even more problematic if anyone has watched Dortmund at their best it was all no more than 2 touches and the ball was moved forward at lightning pace. So no time for Cruyuff turns and hogging the ball.

Maybe Jürgen can get him to move up to the next level........
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #863: Oct 22, 2015 05:26:35 pm
      Consistency and poor shooting has been the main criticism of Coutinho, you are correct. But it's typically never been over the top like it is for Lallana. This is the first season where it seems to be a more consistent and high level at Philippe.

That's because Coutinho will still put in a boss performance, Lallana wont.

The transfer fee argument is nonsense. The players don't set their own fee, and even then it requires a ton of context. Coutinho wasn't getting a game for Inter; Lallana was Southampton's captain. Coutinho is foreign; Lallana is English; Inter was in need of money; Bournemouth had a sell-on clause for Lallana. All that little crap adds up. If Lallana was Spanish and started for Malaga, for example, he goes for a lot less. Likewise, on the back of his lo

It's not nonsense at all. If you pay £25mill for a player, regardless of add ons or whatever, you'd be expecting a darn sight more than what Lallana has contributed. And I use that term lightly. Also if Inter were that desperate for money they'd have sold someone with a higher value than what Coutinho had at the time and if they deemed him an important player to the team they'd have demanded more money.

As for experience, Lallana only had a half season more in the Premier League than Coutinho did, and lower division football is hardly top flight football in any country, let alone like the Prem!

The Championship isn't the worst standard in the world and he's still got a fair few more years experience in the game than Coutinho and he was club captain so he is use to the weight of expectation. Coutinho played barely any football in Europe too in comparison. 43 games at Inter and 16 at Espanyol where as Lallana had over 260 games under his belt by the time he joined us so yes I would say Lallana's experience was far greater than Coutinho's.

I'm all about those intangibles Coutinho brings, by the way. Each of them brings something different (Coutinho's touch and passing ability vs Lallana's pressing ability, as one example). People will always see what they want to see. James Milner, for example, is unrated by half the fanbase but every manager he's been under -- from the crap ones to the league title-winners -- loves him, including Jürgen Klopp (so far anyway!).

Lallana can press. Okay so we have highlighted one attribute he has, along with virtually every other player. Oh and he can run around in a circle trying a fancy little turn and then end up getting tackled, he's mastered that one well.

Milner wasn't exactly a key player at City though was he? He spent most the time coming off the bench.

Can dress it up however you want, Coutinho gets more slack because he's a better player, he's still young and he still puts in boss performances. Lallana has been a let down and hasn't contributed to an acceptable standard since his arrival and a performance where he shows he can press isn't going to even remotely justify him as a success. End of.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #864: Oct 23, 2015 12:54:40 am
      The more I see Lallana under Klopp, the more convinced I am that he is perfectly suited to his style of football, more so than Coutinho. His pressing game is really phenomenal and though not your playmaking #10, he is more of an advanced attacking midfielder type where he's best at attacking the space. I can really see him and Benteke flourishing together in time.

With the possibility of Sturridge and Benteke forming a partnership, I never thought I'd be saying this, but Lallana in the 10 role over Coutinho for now is making me drool!! Also, to throw it out there, I feel Firmino will surpass both and claim that #10 spot, but for now... it's Lallana for me.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #865: Oct 23, 2015 06:08:24 am
      I'm not quite sure I'm ready to knight Lallana and hail him as better than our little Brazilian magician just yet but he has just put together a couple of very decent performances since Jürgen came in and I would absolutely agree that he should play in that 10 shirt right now. He has been rightly criticised over the past season or so because he hasn't justified the price tag, he does hold onto the ball too long and his end product has generally been lacking. However, in his defence he has never been able to stay fit for a sustained period of time and just when we've seen a bit of form he has always got himself another niggly injury. What he does bring to the side in that 10 role is a willingness and ability to run beyond the front man (something that Coutinho rarely does, the Brazillian operates behind other players).

Speaking on our midfielders In General I think it is also important to remember the dross they have had playing in front of them. Henderson looked a cracking player two seasons ago when he had Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge running defenders ragged in front of him and provided so much movement and threat which in turn came him a ton of room to play in and options to find. Fast forward to last season (and now) and it's a very different picture, we've been far more static up front, we've lacked pace and threat in behind, defences have been able to play a higher line and squeeze space and options for our middies have been limited.

I'd love to see Lallana getting a run of games playing in the 10 behind Studge with Coutinho coming off of the left hand side. I think we will be in a better position to judge him then.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #866: Oct 23, 2015 04:56:19 pm
      Lallana looked good at Soton with Lambert and Rodriguez in front of him....no reason he shouldn't be fine with the strike force we have here.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #867: Oct 26, 2015 12:38:04 pm
      Klopp is going to have to sort out Lallana's annoying trait of taking half a dozen touches then passing the ball back. Even on the odd occasion Origi made a run in the box Adam dilly dallied rather than playing the first time pass.

I haven't been his biggest fan but I reckon klopp might be able to get him to the next level given time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #868: Oct 26, 2015 01:27:28 pm
      Klopp is going to have to sort out Lallana's annoying trait of taking half a dozen touches then passing the ball back. Even on the odd occasion Origi made a run in the box Adam dilly dallied rather than playing the first time pass.

I haven't been his biggest fan but I reckon klopp might be able to get him to the next level given time.

Maybe he has realized that a backwards pass is a much better option than a pass to Origi in scoring position?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #869: Oct 26, 2015 01:33:35 pm
      Maybe he has realized that a backwards pass is a much better option than a pass to Origi in scoring position?

Well that would be pretty dumb which I doubt Lallana is.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #870: Oct 26, 2015 01:34:13 pm
      Well that would be pretty dumb which I doubt Lallana is.

I've got someone I'd like you to meet, his name is sarcasm ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #871: Oct 26, 2015 02:35:23 pm

Yep.

Lallana doesn't  make a pass just for the sake of it which is why he seems to dwell on the ball too much at times.

I think he has been much more direct under Jürgen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #872: Nov 09, 2015 08:17:31 am
      So whats that now 8 PL apps with 0 goals and 1 assist.............a very poor return from an attacking midfielder, lovely flicks and touches though  :-\
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #873: Nov 09, 2015 11:12:05 am
      So whats that now 8 PL apps with 0 goals and 1 assist.............a very poor return from an attacking midfielder, lovely flicks and touches though  :-\

I think it will come.

He has definetly looked the liveliest since he has signed over the last few weeks, great industry as well up to 70th minute in match lead both teams in distance covered and number of sprints. Needs to start converting chances though.

Quick Reply