Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

This annoying business of Suarez sale!

Read 4997 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      This annoying business of Suarez sale!
      Jul 05, 2014 01:50:49 am
      I still don't get it!

Why is it that, at the start of every new season, teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona are never under any kind of pressure to sell their best players, but they are able to entice the best in the Premier League to leave their club, the club that made them big names and settle for La Liga?

In recent times;

Manchester United had Ronaldo. As soon as it became clear that he was one of the best in the world, Real Madrid came poaching and actually floored Man U, then walked away with their best player.

Arsenal had Fabrigas, but as soon as Barcelona came calling, Fabrigas was out of the door.

Liverpool FC had Xabi Alonso, and Real Madrid poached him.

Liverpool FC also had Mascherano and Barcelona took him away.

Tottenham had Bale and Real Madrid poached him.

Now Barcelona has come calling for Suarez and we are obligated to sell.

Meanwhile the top players in Real Madrid and Barcelona look forward to seasons after seasons, not worried about being poached by any team. Kinda like, the only players that leave Real Madrid and Barcelona are players those two teams are done with; players they discard of.

What is so F***ing special about Barcelona and Real Mardrid that they are the only two teams that get to bully top premiership teams, pick, choose and dump players at will, while the top premiership teams struggle to hold on to their best players when these two annoying La Liga teams come calling?

What does Real Madrid and Barcelona have that is lacking in Liverpool FC, Arsenal FC, Manchester United or Chelsea FC?

The English Premiership offers better entertainment than La Liga. I also believe the EPL makes much more money then La Liga.

So what is wrong? How can Barcelona reps say Messi is UNSELLABLE and then walk into Melwood, drop £80 million on our lap and tell us to stuff it where the sun don't shine, then walk out the door with OUR UNGRATEFUL Suarez on a leash enroute Nou Camp?

Are they so powerful no team can pry their best players off of them?

Vexing!!!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: This annoying business of Suarez sale!
      Reply #1: Jul 05, 2014 06:35:37 am
      I would call it the Hollywood factor. When someone first decides the want to be an actor they dream of eventually moving to LA and becoming one of the biggest movie stars in the world.
      Madrid would be seen as the top of the tree for most footballers, you play for them, you know you've made it.

Of course, the money helps too!   :f_whistle::f_whistle:
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #2: Jul 05, 2014 06:44:21 am
      It's all about their bitches.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #3: Jul 05, 2014 07:56:23 am
      You don't see them doing it so much with German players, for example, but they have a big advantage for the South American / Latino players.

Other than that, professional footballers base their career decisions on how likely the new club is going to compete at the top level. Both those clubs have coherent philosophies, a gameplan and financing.

We are working our way to that point but for too long we have neglected those key things and looked to the past rather than the future.
      AJ-LFC
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2014 08:29:05 am
      Football is a business, more so now than ever! We are in more need of the cash for various financing than clubs like Barcelona are. Their revenue from big crowds, regular Champions league football and overall global merchandise is massive!

Now with Neymar out for the remainder of the World Cup, I think this will make Barcelona even keener to seal the move in the next week or so.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2014 08:44:45 am by AJ-LFC »
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2014 08:46:13 am
      For many German players in the 80s and early 90s Italy used to be a preferable exit like Rummenigge, Mathaus, Brehme, Muller(Hansi), klinsmann etc. Campionato isn't what it used to be and the only prestigious league is La Liga (Barcelona and Real in particular) outside UK's EPL. It's this notion that a footbaler's rich career consummates when he has been at one of these two clubs or even in both apart from money of course.
      wallbanger 5d
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 05, 2014 10:30:10 am
      With Neymar out with a serious injury think liverpool should up the transfer fee. Saurez might have knee trouble down the road. So this might be a good time to part ways with saurez.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Jul 05, 2014 10:30:16 am
      Its the climate and the food I tells ye!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #8: Jul 05, 2014 10:37:16 am
      Its the climate and the food I tells ye!

I'm sure being able to speak the lingo helps a bit as well....
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Jul 05, 2014 12:19:15 pm
      Better lifestyle and native language, outdoor activities as apposed to being in the house too much here and only going out to go shopping etc. Plus the nice cherry on the top of a ton of extra money for their services and they can enjoy a climate that is more akin to the one they most likely grew up in.
      Not that hard to see how that would be alluring.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #10: Jul 09, 2014 07:49:06 pm
      All the examples you gave were either Spanish or South American or of that ilk (Ronaldo)who wanted to going back to Spain and/or playing for their childhood dream team. The only exception was Bale who obviously needed to get the hell out of spurs. Also Barcelona and Madrid guarantee champions league and a domination of a fairly uncompetitive la liga. Players careers are short. If sanchez comes to England there's a good chance he'll be off in 3 years at the age of 28 to have one last go somewhere else. Apparently Alonso didn't expect to stay so long with us so I heard somewhere. It's the nature of these type of players.

My worry is once coutinho hits 25 and Stirling too, teams will come in for them. So we have to make sure we achieve success in order to keep the momentum and be attractive to the top players.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: Jul 09, 2014 08:52:38 pm
      For me it's simply that RM & Barca are seemingly top if the footballing tree so when they come calling you don't say no, of course the climate & the money are always a magnet but for professional players they see it as the pinnacle of their career,

Both clubs have massive stadia and support, both offer more often than not CL football season in season out, both offer the very best of professional peers to play alongside , and of course the prestige of playing for and having great success with two of the most famous clubs in global football,

Other European clubs are massive  & have fantastic history but all fit under the canopy of RM & Barca ,

It's why it's extra special when the lesser mortals beat those two, which we have done on more than one occasion.

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Jul 10, 2014 10:43:32 am
      Y.A.S.T.

Yet another Suarez thread.
       :roll:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2014 09:48:36 am
      Manchester United had Ronaldo. As soon as it became clear that he was one of the best in the world, Real Madrid came poaching and actually floored Man U, then walked away with their best player.

Arsenal had Fabrigas, but as soon as Barcelona came calling, Fabrigas was out of the door.

Liverpool FC had Xabi Alonso, and Real Madrid poached him.

Liverpool FC also had Mascherano and Barcelona took him away.

Tottenham had Bale and Real Madrid poached him.

Now Barcelona has come calling for Suarez and we are obligated to sell.

The problem you have there is that the majority of those are Spanish, or spanish-speaking.  It's entirely natural for them to see a Spanish giant as their peak.  As for Bale, I'd leave Spurs for Real Madrid - who wouldn't.

English football is filled with European youngsters dreaming of making it big and returning to the top clubs back in their own country.

Ask yourself this - is European football filled with English youngsters one day hoping to sign for Liverpool/Man United? No.

Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 12, 2014 12:00:03 am
      Ask yourself this - is European football filled with English youngsters one day hoping to sign for Liverpool/Man United? No.  << Spot on, I was trying to think why cause I agreed 100 % with solodee's post.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #15: Jul 12, 2014 12:29:47 am
      I think for as long as we are trading in South American/Iberian players then them being poached comes with the territory. Hopefully every 2-3 years we will unearth a Sterling and in time have a nucleus of players that have come through the ranks at LFC and hopefully will be more resistant to the pulling powers of Spain (not that it did us much good with Owen and McManaman).

I don't get too hot and bothered about it though. There is a pecking order in football. It's a pecking order that allows us to go to Southampton and take 2 of their key senior players. At least with Suarez we are getting what I think is top dollar on the back of him leading us to the CL. We'll be fine
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #16: Jul 12, 2014 12:49:59 am
      The power shift in Europe is happening as we write so the allure of the two best clubs in Europe will no longer entice the best of the S American players.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Jul 12, 2014 12:55:05 am
      We'd basically need to win the league fairly regularly and outperform the 2 Spanish clubs in the CL for a period of about 6-8 years for this to change really.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #18: Jul 12, 2014 01:01:48 am
      The power shift in Europe is happening as we write so the allure of the two best clubs in Europe will no longer entice the best of the S American players.

Expand
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #19: Jul 12, 2014 01:06:26 am

Germany winning the WC (fingers crossed). The Spanish league is virtually bankrupt outside of the top two teams.
      Barca are rebuilding after being humiliated.
      Real will probably implode mid season by sacking Ancellloti

That should be enough!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #20: Jul 12, 2014 01:08:08 am
      Bottom line is the increasing spending power of the EPL with the extra revenue from BT.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #21: Jul 12, 2014 01:15:55 am
      Bottom line is the increasing spending power if the EPL with the extra revenue from BT.

Hmmm I'm not convinced. Barca are about to spend £75M on one player, and can do so year on year whilst complying with FFP. What Enhlish club can ever do that?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #22: Jul 12, 2014 01:19:03 am
      Hmmm I'm not convinced. Barca are about to spend £75M on one player, and can do so year on year whilst complying with FFP. What Enhlish club can ever do that?
      [/quote

You do realise they are paying for half of that by selling Sanchez.

Quick Reply