Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Life without Luis

Read 9619 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Life without Luis
      Reply #23: Jul 07, 2014 12:11:27 am
      Sadly not feeling anywhere near as confident as most in here about life after Suarez..... so I will just leave it there.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #24: Jul 07, 2014 06:40:32 am
      Sadly not feeling anywhere near as confident as most in here about life after Suarez..... so I will just leave it there.

I think many of us would feel the same.  myself included.  if we are just looking at the team on the pitch ... without luis, I am not as confident.  however, if we are to look at the whole club on and off the pitch I feel this is a necessary step.

also, I think with the additions so far, we will see more goals coming from the midfield ... and from open play so gerrards PKs don't count. 

speaking of PKs, we will need someone to draw that many pks again haha
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #25: Jul 07, 2014 08:09:06 am
      We'll miss him of course, but we can't afford to sit around ringing our hands, when the deal is done we need to move on, certainly better and quicker than we did with Torres
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #26: Jul 07, 2014 08:21:53 am
      Greatly improving their signings or good football players producing clubs deserve to have faith in. Manager's role is critical but this one is really to be trusted. He's proven he can make the side adapt to alterations (how many absences did we have last season that BR got the team out of with the minimum loss) and cope. He is going to make us go past Suarez in footballing terms and LFC's game soon won't be missing him on the pitch.

BR can do it!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #27: Jul 07, 2014 08:47:40 am
      speaking of PKs, we will need someone to draw that many pks again haha
      It's actually a very good point. Not only did Suarez get 31 goals and 12 assists but he also won about 10 penalties for us, which is unbelievable. So that's essentially 53 goals/assists we need to replace this season. Not saying we can't but it's a tough ask, even with so many recruitments.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #28: Jul 07, 2014 03:22:28 pm
      He's a natural game winner when his head is straight (his head is straight most games too), lets face facts he'll work his ass off and score absolutely wondrous goals and is a brilliant short or long passer of the ball.
      That's what he gave us, a unique and natural footballer with a hard working attitude rarely seen with many of the prolific talents we've seen in football.
      When Suarez has an off-day everyone can still admire what else he did in the game to provide and work for those around him.
      Also he's made of steel it seems.

I'll miss him a lot, he was really fun and class to watch playing for my club.

Pity, but maybe it's right time to just move on and see a new era at Liverpool without that dependence, the money will help build the team up and with years out of the top spots and CL it's a chance to bridge the gap a bit in terms of the improvements teams around us have been able to make.

One of the things I can't stand when we sell someone great is when you can't enjoy the highlights of last season as much because they aren't here any more..

Sob.  :f_wah:

We'll become world beaters with the manager we've got so.. we go again!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #29: Jul 07, 2014 04:46:45 pm
      For me we make Sturridge lead man, make him feel the dogs bollocks, his the star the one who will fire us to glory. Because in my opinion we won't get another player like Suarez in and the nearest too him would be Sturridge in a goal sense. We need to remember Sturridge's time at the club has eclipsed the equivalent of Torres time with us in goals and assists.

Maybe without Suarez Sturridge will find the next level of his own, it seems when Henderson plays without Gerrard he steps up, i don't see any reason for the same with Sturridge.  We seem to be going in for fast and technical players, Lallana, Markovic. Which i feel suits Sturridge, the link up play will be fast and effective. 

Sturridge

Lallana     Coutinho    Sterling     

Any of the three behind can interchange positions with the possibility of Markovic (if signed) coming in and playing either position.

Furthermore if needs be at times an effective change imo would be

Lambert/Oriigi

Sturridge

Sterling/Markovic                              Lallana/Coutinho

Henderson/Caan         Gerrard/Allen

Assuming we sign the two possible targets, i would say life without Luis looks pretty darn good.
      cmzf3110
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 07, 2014 08:10:04 pm
      Great topic , as I said in the past, Im Uruguayan . I still have some hope that he stays , I think FIFA will drop the 4 month ban for sure . I believe that Luis will have a very tough season at all pitches this year , but he has shown time after time he can cope and excel on the pitch . I hope he does not go , that they dont get that fee and dont sell ! Liverpool is suited for Luis , with Lallana , Can, and Lambert and a couple of center halfs LIVERPOOL was on there way to SUCCESS . I think Luis flourished playing with Sterling more than anyone else , YES he FU$$ed UP again !!! its a big issue . But on the pitch he is literaly an animal , ask his teamates if they want him to go.  Life without Suarez will not be the same but if he goes Liverpool must find that player who can make i differance every game . Luis even on games he did not score created for Sterling,Sturridge, he drove defenders mad . All centrehalfs would not try tackling from fear of nutmeg or getting beaten . Sturridge not that player too selfish .
      I hope this post changes soon "Life with Suarez in EPL and CL "
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #31: Jul 08, 2014 09:42:52 am
      Bet Kenny Dalglish is F***ing gutted the way it's all gone tits up for what he must regard as his protégé.
      Leaves you to wonder if Kenny had been guiding Luis throughout would we still be in the same situation with him now? 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #32: Jul 08, 2014 09:44:14 am
      Bet Kenny Dalglish is f**king gutted the way it's all gone tits up for what he must regard as his protégé.
      Leaves you to wonder if Kenny had been guiding Luis throughout would we still be in the same situation with him now?

I don't think Kenny will care mate, only thing Kenny cares about is the club

Even if Kenny had still been here Luis would want this move, of that I have no doubt
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #33: Jul 08, 2014 09:50:57 am
      I don't think Kenny will care mate, only thing Kenny cares about is the club

Even if Kenny had still been here Luis would want this move, of that I have no doubt

Of course Jon LFC is always the priority with our man.
      I'm still in the 'what might have been' fantasy, having the sig pic I do it just rubs salt into the wound.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Jul 08, 2014 10:00:02 am
      I think Luis is a good fit with our club.The way we have always supported him is something he may not yet fully appreciate. Going to Barcelona may well improve his family life as I am sure they will enjoy living there but fitting in with the likes of Messi or Neymar may prove more difficult.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2014 10:04:04 am
      I think Luis is a good fit with our club.The way we have always supported him is something he may not yet fully appreciate. Going to Barcelona may well improve his family life as I am sure they will enjoy living there but fitting in with the likes of Messi or Neymar may prove more difficult.

'He's made his nest' was never more applicable.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Jul 08, 2014 11:20:45 am
      Now i want to start this by saying im going to miss Luis just as much as everyone else, and the things he has given us in the last couple of years he deserves our thanks, the fact we are back in the Champions League we should remember him as playing a big part in that

However the talk i keep reading that we cant replace him, that our forward progression as a club again could stop.. Im not having that, like with everything we will adapt and continue, one player doesnt make a club, and for as good as he has been he doesnt define us.

I agree that he doesn't define us Jon but he will be missed and needs replacing (in my opinion).

As you're aware I'm of the opinion that Brendan favours a 4 - 3 - 3 formation but as he has shown is willing to adapt. I say 'favours' based on his oft quoted desire to sign an attacking left-sided player. That desire was prevalent when Luis and Danny were very much a part of our set-up... I can't see it changing now he's going.

The emergence of Raheem (IMO) softened the blow of missing out on that type of player and although we were able to play Raheem in a three, from time to time; the 'need' to play Stevie in his new role meant the 4 -3 - 3 became a diamond with two up front. In short the two was less about accommodating SaS and more about fitting Stevie in.

Stevie's 'new' play-maker role might still dictate the formation but I have a feeling (when Stevie doesn't play) we will see a three up front more often than not [with the two 'wide' men] tracking back. The three in midfield being the triangle [which "can be flipped" as the need arises] Brendan likes.

So... whether it's the diamond, with two up front, or a 4 - 3 - 3 - unless we sign a player(s) who has the same impact as Luis we will miss him. However... play with just one up-front in a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 and the impact may be lessened - obviously the three, just behind Danny, will have to take up the 30 goals 'slack'.

Players come and go - we will do alright without Luis but hopefully he won't be missed too much because we will have signed a player (or two) with all his abilities. [who knows, maybe we already have]. One thing's for sure tho' - I'm excited with the prospect of finding out... the season can't start quickly enough.

Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #37: Jul 08, 2014 11:52:31 am
      I agree 95% with all of you but as far as I can understand the loss of Suarez will be a huge psychological blow rather than a firepower loss.

I do not mind to win games 2-1, where only Sturridge and Coutinho score instead of 6-3 with a Suarez hat-trick. This is for the sake of 3 points and nothing more.

BUT, me as a supporter can understand and see clearly that the team is still away from being a top-notch league challenger. I understand the budget capabilities and the effort placed by the FSG and BR, but I know deep inside that we lost a great opportunity for the league and now again will end up in our mediocrity. I try to be optimistic but I do not see any club in modern football to sell their best player at his career peak.

Anyway, the club is bigger than the player, and I hope that we will go again.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #38: Jul 08, 2014 12:56:41 pm
      I agree that he doesn't define us Jon but he will be missed and needs replacing (in my opinion).

As you're aware I'm of the opinion that Brendan favours a 4 - 3 - 3 formation but as he has shown is willing to adapt. I say 'favours' based on his oft quoted desire to sign an attacking left-sided player. That desire was prevalent when Luis and Danny were very much a part of our set-up... I can't see it changing now he's going.

The emergence of Raheem (IMO) softened the blow of missing out on that type of player and although we were able to play Raheem in a three, from time to time; the 'need' to play Stevie in his new role meant the 4 -3 - 3 became a diamond with two up front. In short the two was less about accommodating SaS and more about fitting Stevie in.

Stevie's 'new' play-maker role might still dictate the formation but I have a feeling (when Stevie doesn't play) we will see a three up front more often than not [with the two 'wide' men] tracking back. The three in midfield being the triangle [which "can be flipped" as the need arises] Brendan likes.

So... whether it's the diamond, with two up front, or a 4 - 3 - 3 - unless we sign a player(s) who has the same impact as Luis we will miss him. However... play with just one up-front in a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 and the impact may be lessened - obviously the three, just behind Danny, will have to take up the 30 goals 'slack'.

Players come and go - we will do alright without Luis but hopefully he won't be missed too much because we will have signed a player (or two) with all his abilities. [who knows, maybe we already have]. One thing's for sure tho' - I'm excited with the prospect of finding out... the season can't start quickly enough.

Of course mate, i wasnt trying to imply that we wouldnt miss Luis, more how we move forward without him, any side in world football would miss one of the top 3 players around..  However its about adapting and i feel with our squad as it stands, and with the signings being made that we have an adaptable bunch to fit in how the manager see's us moving forward.

Good point regarding Steven but i do feel that you can protect him in a 4-3-3 as well, i do feel that both Danny and Luis wanted to play centrally and Brendan tried to fit them both in centrally as and when he could. For me 70% of the teams in the league you can blow away toe to toe and our fire power with those two allowed that to happen.. It was the other types of games against better sides where at times we looked slightly vunerable with the two central and that where we need to adapt.

He certainly needs replacing, but i feel we will replace him witha  slightly different outlook
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #39: Jul 08, 2014 01:00:16 pm
      'He's made his nest' was never more applicable.

the grass is not always greener.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #40: Jul 08, 2014 01:08:15 pm
      the grass is not always greener.

'Look for pastures new'.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41: Jul 08, 2014 01:09:27 pm

"be careful what you wish for".
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #42: Jul 08, 2014 01:16:16 pm

A new thread beckons.
      A cliché, follow on thread.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #43: Jul 08, 2014 01:20:22 pm
      It is funny but with Luis I think we could have gone onto win many trophies and been a formidable force in Europe this year. Without him I think we will just win the premier league and champions league in the next 2 years.
      We have the manager, we have the playing style suited to our players, we have a new expanded stadium on its way.
      I am full of hope for the immediate future.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Jul 09, 2014 01:54:14 pm
      I remember when the sale of Torres came about, fast and was sold before we knew what was what. I dont mind admitting I was inconsolable. Im pissed off this time, but nowhere near that level. Its not that I loved Torres more, quite the opposite. I now await the replacement. I hadn't heard much of Suarez in the lead up to buying him (bar the WC handball), and boy did he turn out amazing. Lazar, well I had never heard of him until 2 weeks ago. Here's hoping he, or someone else, fills the shoes well. There's always a footballing genius hidden somewhere in some league... he may not be a genius until he moulds into your team as that fits him best.

Players come and go....

The grass aint necessarily greener where hes going... its just a lot sunnier.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #45: Jul 09, 2014 02:00:31 pm
      However the talk i keep reading that we cant replace him, that our forward progression as a club again could stop.. Im not having that, like with everything we will adapt and continue, one player doesnt make a club, and for as good as he has been he doesnt define us. We have been built to play through him over the last couple of seasons, we have been built to get the best out of him, like before we were built to get the best out of Torres.. We will adapt, we will build a side around the next fulcrum of what will define us going forward.

My only issue with an otherwise great article is that the adaptation after Torres took three years, three years were we where in the football wilderness that is mid-table. We cannot afford another three year wait to adapt to the loss of Luis. We have brought in players that allows Brendan a degree of tactical flexibility in his choice of formations, i.e. three up top, but we still need someone who can at least approach bridging the gap in goals we're facing with the loss of Suarez. That at least then allows us to continue playing the two up front but able to seamlessly shift to a three up front or a one up front as he sees fit.

Quick Reply