Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)

Read 30805 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Re: Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)
      Reply #23: Jul 11, 2014 07:32:20 am
      Would be well down my list.

Why is it that no top club besides Liverpool were are willing to pay over £20m for Lallala? Or Lovren? Or Bony?

The spuds will, we could bid for Christopher Biggins and they would outbid us.

These players are not in high demand among elite clubs for a reason.

Forget it, didn't see the 'top clubs' bit.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #24: Jul 11, 2014 07:37:16 am
      Would be well down my list.

Why is it that no top club besides Liverpool were are willing to pay over £20m for Lallala? Or Lovren? Or Bony?

These players are not in high demand among elite clubs for a reason.

Aside from us & Arsenal apparently no one else was really in for Sanchez, but he is class... He scored 16 PL goals last season at Swansea - in his first season and to be honest we should have got him last season!

The problem is here people want a big name like Benzima, Falco or Sachez where as the manager understands that we are losing 31 goals and we need to replace them - not replace a name. If we see a 25% increase in goals from Bony (and that is realistic) we will have 2 strikers that can achieve 20+ goals a season for the second consecutive time. That is a great place to be...
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #25: Jul 11, 2014 07:42:31 am

Forget it, didn't see the 'top clubs' bit.

Exactly. ;D
      irishpool
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      • 1990 world cup, Ireland = England b team
      Reply #26: Jul 11, 2014 07:45:53 am
      Suarez was at Ajax, Holland's biggest and a four times European cup winning club.
      Sturridge was at Chelsea.
      Coutinho was at Inter Milan.

They were already at big clubs for a reason.

Ajax is historic now, never to win again, sadly a selling club this 20years +
      and Sturridge and Countinho were regardedas " big clubs" flops!!! hence bargain prices
      So that Argument is flawed big time
      first post so xxxxx:action-smiley-065: disablites stoped me joining till now, wonders of new tech, followed fourm constant followed all trending issues and aware of lengeds on site that are a class act that really know their stuff, and others real characters, hope to contribute best i can
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #27: Jul 11, 2014 07:53:56 am
      Aside from us & Arsenal apparently no one else was really in for Sanchez.

The problem is here people want a big name like Benzima, Falco or Sachez where as the manager understands that we are losing 31 goals and we need to replace them - not replace a name. If we see a 25% increase in goals from Bony (and that is realistic) we will have 2 strikers that can achieve 20+ goals a season for the second consecutive time. That is a great place to be...

Juventus and Milan wanted Sanchez and he was already at Barcelona. I'd consider them elite clubs who also rated the player very highly.

Players like Benzema don't survive 5 years at Real Madrid just because he's a 'name.' They have the quality to perform under pressure at huge clubs. Benzema is quality, certainly not the best out there, but superior to anything we've been linked to. That's why he's at Real Madrid.

I can accept taking a risk on Lallana if Rodgers really wanted him. I can accept taking a £20m risk on a 20 year old like Markovic. But that's enough risk for one window.

Now we need to sign proven talent who have shown they can perform for a similar elite level club like Liverpool.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2748 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #28: Jul 11, 2014 08:00:04 am
      Allow me to answer this then. Benzema scored five goals in the Champion's League last season and has eight seasons of Champion's League and title challenging experience under his belt. In total he has scored 24 Champions League goals in 45 appearances in that competition. His total club goals for Real is 111 in 235 appearances which is a goal ration just short of 1:2. What's not to like here? Why would you choose Bony over Benzema?

Firstly you show were I quoted anywhere in here that I said Id prefer Bony over Benzema. Youll find I didn't so don't make stuff up.

Secondly you highlighted a line then didn't answer it . The question asked was based on the stats why would Bony be a bad signing. If you don't have an answer for that question dont try to answer it by talking about another players champions league experience. How about you give your reasons the player in question would be a bad signing 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #29: Jul 11, 2014 08:10:26 am
      I can just imagine George playing a bit of boney m
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Jul 11, 2014 08:18:12 am
      Really dont want this one to go ahead.

We have 2no. "9's" at the minute. Granted he can score goals, but hes basically like another Sturridge, you cant play 2 of the same type strikers together. Look at his goals from last season. All similar to where Studge receives the ball.

We need a goal poacher, someone who will add that bit of extra class and pull defenders out of position. There are 100s of great players out there and its our scouts job to find a direct replacement who could be as good as Suarez given time.

We need to make a statement of intent.

Wilfried Bony - All 26 Goals in Season | 2013/14 HD
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #31: Jul 11, 2014 08:40:55 am
      I'll be honest I'm not sure about Bony, simply because I have literally just this second seen him linked to us as I was really busy yesterday..

However what I will say is we need to step back and try to understand a couple of things.

We are a great club with a massive history, for me there isn't a bigger one, but I'm biased.. But what we need to remember is we haven't had cl for 5 years, we have struggled financially in that period and are trying to get ourselves stable in those terms.. What we have done over that period is lose top class player and at times tried to replace them with quick fixes and we have had 4 managers since our last cl campaign. The biggest thing we nee is stability and a clear plan.

Now in that period of 5 years we have consistently finished 6th-8th, it's not like we have missed out by the odd point here and there and gone deep into the EL..
      Last season we finished 2nd. Which was great, fantastic, but I can understand some of the established names out there wondering if it was a flash on the pan, especially with Luis leaving..
      When City climbed with the Arab money they went from 7th to top 4, even with unlimited cash they still essentially built two or three sides in that climb because I doubt when they went from that first big jump all the established stars they have now would have been convinced.. They brought in players who would stabilise them in the top 4 like Bellers, Barry, Elano etc then they kicked on once they were established the big stars came, even before they were established the money didn't drag them to Wastelands.

So we need to something similar, we have gone from 7th to CL, we need to beyond anything else this season stay in that top 4 to prove it wasn't a one off, let alone the new tv deal for cl from bt next season.. So if we have to bulster the squad with the types of player that doesn't get Federer or CR running for their lube we have to accept that, we are buying this summer for that next level, not the top top level that we all wished we had established ourselves back in overnight. So if it's a few Bony's, if that's true, or whoever, we have to hope they come in and do what we need them to do which is secure our rise back up for this next stage in our rehabilitation.

We craved this, we have it back but we can't run before we walk.

Stability is the key, we have a top young coach who I trust if he gets enough sufficient quality in depth and is given time will take us in another couple of seasons to getting that real top level players because we will have proved it wasn't a one off and we are back where we belong for good, we will be more financially stable too with a couple of years of cl revenue and the additional sponsor payments that activates.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #32: Jul 11, 2014 08:43:11 am
      Really dont want this one to go ahead.

We have 2no. "9's" at the minute. Granted he can score goals, but hes basically like another Sturridge, you cant play 2 of the same type strikers together. Look at his goals from last season. All similar to where Studge receives the ball.

We need a goal poacher, someone who will add that bit of extra class and pull defenders out of position. There are 100s of great players out there and its our scouts job to find a direct replacement who could be as good as Suarez given time.

We need to make a statement of intent.

Wilfried Bony - All 26 Goals in Season | 2013/14 HD

I get the feeling a partnership of him and Sturridge would actually be very fruitful, bony is a strong Mother.... he can hold the ball up for Sturridge to make his runs.
      Sturridge may get a few injuries, you'll be glad we've got Bony there as an option off the bench. Especially when Sturridge gets took off every game towards the end.
      Bony looks physically adept for the English leagues intensity, who can say if say Benzema for instance would be able to bully himself into games where he is on the periphery? (where he always seems to be, whenever I've seen him play)
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2014 08:51:44 am
      I get the feeling a partnership of him and Sturridge would actually be very fruitful, bony is a strong Mother.... he can hold the ball up for Sturridge to make his runs.
      Sturridge may get a few injuries, you'll be glad we've got Bony there as an option off the bench. Especially when Sturridge gets took off every game towards the end.
      Bony looks physically adept for the English leagues intensity, who can say if say Benzema for instance would be able to bully himself into games where he is on the periphery? (where he always seems to be, whenever I've seen him play)

Valid points. Benzema again is not what im looking for. Marquee signing but wouldnt bring a different dimension to the play than Sturridge. The reason why SAS worked so well was they complemented each other by being completely different styles of football. Who knows Shaqiri or Markovic could be the player Im looking for. Lavezzi or Tevez would be my 1st choice "style" player.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Jul 11, 2014 09:01:41 am

Valid points. Benzema again is not what im looking for. Marquee signing but wouldnt bring a different dimension to the play than Sturridge. The reason why SAS worked so well was they complemented each other by being completely different styles of football. Who knows Shaqiri or Markovic could be the player Im looking for. Lavezzi or Tevez would be my 1st choice "style" player.
      We may get Markovic and Shaqiri too so it'd just mean a more meaty team, well better than just having Moses and Cissokho on the bench last season.
      I wanted Tevez here when he fell out with Mancini and was in exile, I'm sure he still has the same talent now. I'd be happy with him here. I rate him very highly (he's 30 so- too late now probably). Lavezzi is a 1 year younger, he is a hardworking player and is talented, but he wouldn't be in my list of players I want.
      It's exciting to see who we'll be getting, so I'm not going to get stressed because the window is still open with some time to spare.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #35: Jul 11, 2014 09:22:33 am
      Tevez all day long for me. Has the right work ethic. 2 year deal will do nicely. ..
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Jul 11, 2014 09:50:59 am
      Tevez all day long for me. Has the right work ethic. 2 year deal will do nicely. ..

1 year will do nicely. Solidify our top of table spot and then resign suarez. ;-)
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #37: Jul 11, 2014 09:51:16 am
      Not good enough to play for a side with title ambitions in my opinion.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #38: Jul 11, 2014 09:52:46 am

When City climbed with the Arab money they went from 7th to top 4, even with unlimited cash they still essentially built two or three sides in that climb because I doubt when they went from that first big jump all the established stars they have now would have been convinced.. They brought in players who would stabilise them in the top 4 like Bellers, Barry, Elano etc then they kicked on once they were established the big stars came, even before they were established the money didn't drag them to Wastelands.

A lot of City's Arab money has gone in to their marketing, their training facilities and other business related areas, including opening a club franchise in the American league. In their Arab's first full season City spent £127 million on player transfers, but they didn't spend a lot on individuals, they just bought a lot of players (11). Now consider that we had an initial budget this Summer reported to be £60 million and then a sale of Luis reported (by the more reputable English papers) £75 million, if that goes back in to the team as has been promised, we have £135 million to spend on transfers this season, more than City spent when they suddenly came in to money. For the first time in over a decade, we actually have the financial muscle to compete with City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United and we don't need eleven players, so can afford to pay more on transfer fees than City did in 08/09 (their highest being £32.5 million for Robinho) and who do we look to flex that financial muscle on? Wilfried Bony, Ryan Bertrand, Dejan Lovren, Ricky Lambert, Emre Can...Hardly a convincing statement of intent to be back amongst Europe's most elite clubs, is it?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #39: Jul 11, 2014 10:10:50 am
      A lot of City's Arab money has gone in to their marketing, their training facilities and other business related areas, including opening a club franchise in the American league. In their Arab's first full season City spent £127 million on player transfers, but they didn't spend a lot on individuals, they just bought a lot of players (11). Now consider that we had an initial budget this Summer reported to be £60 million and then a sale of Luis reported (by the more reputable English papers) £75 million, if that goes back in to the team as has been promised, we have £135 million to spend on transfers this season, more than City spent when they suddenly came in to money. For the first time in over a decade, we actually have the financial muscle to compete with City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United and we don't need eleven players, so can afford to pay more on transfer fees than City did in 08/09 (their highest being £32.5 million for Robinho) and who do we look to flex that financial muscle on? Wilfried Bony, Ryan Bertrand, Dejan Lovren, Ricky Lambert, Emre Can...Hardly a convincing statement of intent to be back amongst Europe's most elite clubs, is it?

Valid points mate, however the main point I was making is right now is that top level of player ready to take the punt (as they may see it) that it's not a one season thing?
      We haven't been in the CL for 5 years and the main catalyst for our season last season is moving on..

All I'm saying is we need probably two stages of building in terms of players and stabilising our position as an established CL club before we get the established stars coming?
      We are going to have to take young prospects like Can and Markovic and some good quality depth like Lallana and Bony, Lovren (if they happen) to push us along that process.

Even if we at times would target different players we have to have patience and understand the process?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #40: Jul 11, 2014 10:19:21 am
      @SkySportsPeteO  16 secs
      Liverpool in advanced talks with Swansea over Wilfried Bony with player's agent thought to be meeting Liverpool officials. #LFC #swansfc
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Jul 11, 2014 10:24:04 am
      @SkySportsPeteO  16 secs
      Liverpool in advanced talks with Swansea over Wilfried Bony with player's agent thought to be meeting Liverpool officials. #LFC #swansfc

I'm 50/50 on this potential deal. You can't argue against the fact that he can score goals and he managed 25 in all competitions last season. However, his actual game play was poor for a fair portion of the season. He would provide us with a different dimension and would wear defenders out a bit like Drogba used to. It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #42: Jul 11, 2014 10:32:26 am
      Don't think he would be a bad buy myself.

Fee is high, but look we are selling our best player for a pretty penny so we will get shafted on most deals. Bony does the job, with proper service he would do even better.

Also don't look at him as a sole replacement for Suarez because we seem to be replacing Suarez with 2-3 players. Which may mean a change in system.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #43: Jul 11, 2014 10:33:20 am
      I've been an advocate of this lad for a while, and I'm much more positive about his potential signing than most I think. I can see where posters have reservations as to whether him and Danny are a natural fit (so do I to be honest) but I've a hunch that we may see them develop something together which is more Keegan/Toshack than Suarez/Sturridge. I was never as fully convinced as many pundits of the "telepathy" between Sturridge and Suarez in any case, I always felt it was more like two goal hungry players finding a way to accommodate each other. My feeling is that in build up play at least, Bony would take up very different positions and play a very different role to Sturridge, and if they do play together it might just work (you can never really tell in advance in any case).

More to the point though is there will be plenty of occasions when Sturridge doesn't play for whatever reason, and under those circumstances having a proper pivot up front would probably benefit some of our attacking mids.

It works for me. He scored plenty of goals in a low scoring Swansea team, he scored them against good sides, he worried all the top defenders in the league. He's developing, hungry and willing to learn, and as a former centre half meself I wouldn't fancy marking him at all. Better than Benzema? Not at all, but a better signing than a bloke who would see us as a step down on the way towards hanging his boots up? Definately.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #44: Jul 11, 2014 10:58:56 am
      Suarez was at Ajax, Holland's biggest and a four times European cup winning club.
      Sturridge was at Chelsea.
      Coutinho was at Inter Milan.

They were already at big clubs for a reason.

Barring Suarez, Sturridge & Coutinho both struggled for regular football at their previous clubs, hence the reasons they moved, wether that being at a big club or small.

For the record, the Chavs are not a big club.

Back to Bony, I think he is not only a quality player but also a very clever one with his move in & around the box.

Ticks the boxes for me.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #45: Jul 11, 2014 11:01:18 am
      Valid points mate, however the main point I was making is right now is that top level of player ready to take the punt (as they may see it) that it's not a one season thing?
      We haven't been in the CL for 5 years and the main catalyst for our season last season is moving on..

All I'm saying is we need probably two stages of building in terms of players and stabilising our position as an established CL club before we get the established stars coming?
      We are going to have to take young prospects like Can and Markovic and some good quality depth like Lallana and Bony, Lovren (if they happen) to push us along that process.

Even if we at times would target different players we have to have patience and understand the process?

Contrary to popular belief though, most top players don't go to these rich clubs because it's a nice payday for them, they're already rich enough; they go there because they believe in an exciting project, that they can win things because the club is willing to invest in its future. What future are we investing in with the likes of Bony, Lovren etc? Those are signings you make if you want to consolidate your position at the mid table as a newly promoted club. I'm not suggesting we should look for galaticos, I'm suggesting that we look for players with experience in title races, experience in the Champion's league because the core of players we have do not have that experience. I don't necessarily think Benzema is what we need but he offers a level of experience that Bony simply does not have. If we're to push on and build upon last year we need players who know how to deal with pressure and have played with, and against, Europe's elite. Brendan Rodgers said at the close of the season that this Summer he wanted players who would walk straight in to the first team. So far, of those we've signed to-date, or even being linked with, I'm yet to see a single player who will do that.

Quick Reply