Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)

Read 30821 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)
      Reply #46: Jul 11, 2014 11:03:49 am
      I don't think from a goalscoring point of view too many can quibble with Bony. He scored extremely heavily in Holland whilst not playing for one of the best teams, he scored heavily at Swansea (ditto) after a slow start, and he looked like one of the better genuine centre forwards at the World Cup (where he scored again). Would he score goals for us? Almost certainly yes, it's really just a question of whether or not people see him fitting in with Brendan's desired style of play. I actually think (and this may surprise a few) that were he and Danny Sturridge to play together, you'd see Danny dropping deeper into the 10 role and Bony playing as the more full on 9. Could it work? Yep, I think it very well could. What will IMHO certainly work would be Bony on his own up top, that really is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'm obviously not advocating dropping Sturridge BTW, I'm merely talking of when he is rested or injured.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #47: Jul 11, 2014 11:10:13 am
      Contrary to popular belief though, most top players don't go to these rich clubs because it's a nice payday for them, they're already rich enough; they go there because they believe in an exciting project, that they can win things because the club is willing to invest in its future. What future are we investing in with the likes of Bony, Lovren etc? Those are signings you make if you want to consolidate your position at the mid table as a newly promoted club. I'm not suggesting we should look for galaticos, I'm suggesting that we look for players with experience in title races, experience in the Champion's league because the core of players we have do not have that experience. I don't necessarily think Benzema is what we need but he offers a level of experience that Bony simply does not have. If we're to push on and build upon last year we need players who know how to deal with pressure and have played with, and against, Europe's elite. Brendan Rodgers said at the close of the season that this Summer he wanted players who would walk straight in to the first team. So far, of those we've signed to-date, or even being linked with, I'm yet to see a single player who will do that.

I think we are kind of making the same point mate

I agree that they buy into the project, but a project at PSG, City or Chelsea at the beginning is fairly easy to buy into as the money is a steady and constant drip that they will always be able to throw money at the following season until to an extent it works..
      We aren't throwing billions at the project, we are steadily building and need success to bring success in terms of revenue.. Until we are re-established I honestly think the likes of a Benzema won't gamble on us, and I'm not saying especially Bony or Lovren are the types (these are simply the links) but we need to do it consistently to become that draw..

It's been said that Sanchez chose London but I bet an element of it was that Arsenal are established for over a decade in the CL.. He wanted Juve who are the same but they couldn't afford the fee so he went with the safe option as well as London.

It's going to be a steady rise under fsg
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #48: Jul 11, 2014 11:23:37 am
      I don't think from a goalscoring point of view too many can quibble with Bony. He scored extremely heavily in Holland whilst not playing for one of the best teams, he scored heavily at Swansea (ditto) after a slow start, and he looked like one of the better genuine centre forwards at the World Cup (where he scored again). Would he score goals for us? Almost certainly yes, it's really just a question of whether or not people see him fitting in with Brendan's desired style of play. I actually think (and this may surprise a few) that were he and Danny Sturridge to play together, you'd see Danny dropping deeper into the 10 role and Bony playing as the more full on 9. Could it work? Yep, I think it very well could. What will IMHO certainly work would be Bony on his own up top, that really is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'm obviously not advocating dropping Sturridge BTW, I'm merely talking of when he is rested or injured.

Usually I agree with your posts but I can't on this one. Bony, imo, lacks the pace and mobility to fit into our system. Okay, Luis wasn't exactly blessed with pace either, but he had the intelligence, mobility, work ethic, and skill to make up for it. Everyone is quick to praise Daniel Sturridge for scoring 21 league goals last season, but many of those goals were down to the dynamism of Luis Suarez. He created many of those gaps for Sturridge, and they were so different in style that it actually became the most compatible, dynamic, and frightful strike partnership in Europe. Bony is not going to offer you that. Sturridge is a number nine, Luis wasn't. Luis complimented Daniel's play an awful lot, and Luis also gave Daniel better angles to work with (i.e feeding in Luis himself). Bony will offer none of this. He's a slow target man who expects to be fed himself. Both strikers want to be fed. Neither have the work rate or intelligence of Luis - that's expected, but you'd need one of them to take the initiative. This is where, wait for it, Sanchez would have been perfect. But we cannot sign Sanchez now, but there is no doubt that there is someone appropriate for our system out there. When Sturridge was out, we were still dominating other teams. The link up play between Suarez and Sterling was a joy to watch. You've got to remember what made us such a threat last season. It was that one player. I'd be disappointed if Bony was his replacement. Again, it's not that I don't rate Bony - I do, I just feel we need to be patient in terms of Luis' replacement.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: Jul 11, 2014 11:39:13 am
      Some good debate on here [P_d & 5t] with very valid points being made by both parties. At the moment I'm coming down on the side of 5t. The simple reason being that although it may well be "a steady rise under fsg"; it need not be.

At the moment: [things can change quickly], to me, it looks like we've been playing it safe and have been buying players to consolidate rather than push on. Paradoxically, the thing is; any players who would help us push on would, by definition, help us consolidate.

At the moment: I don't believe (only an opinion) that Lambert, Lallana and Can, good an all as they are, are much, if any, better than what we had in the first XI last season. I see them as 'more of the same'; numbers to contend with a bigger fixture list rather than players who will elevate us higher than last season. To be honest: I think everyone sees them the same way and that's (maybe) why there's more talk of consolidation than talk of titles.

We fell short last season but 'only just'. Money, room on wage bill, lure of CL football, a big club with a big history and bright future, a top young manager... there really is no reason, or excuse, for us not to add top quality, in my opinion. There's still time & money left for us to be bold: fingers crossed we are.  8)

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #50: Jul 11, 2014 11:41:56 am
      This line up would be interesting

Sturridge/Remy     Bony/Lambert

Sterling/Markovic

Coutinho/Lallana          Hendo/Allen

Stevie/Can
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #51: Jul 11, 2014 11:42:36 am
      Would be well down my list.

Why is it that no top club besides Liverpool were are willing to pay over £20m for Lallala? Or Lovren? Or Bony?

These players are not in high demand among elite clubs for a reason.

Funny that isn't it. We've spent the last two years having our targets stolen from us and getting pissed off. Now that there isn't much competition for our targets we're still moaning :D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #52: Jul 11, 2014 11:45:20 am
      I'm actually very happy with this, think Bony is big, strong, fast and a finisher. He's already settled into the league and most strikers generally struggle to do that so quickly, from examination of other strikers in the league he's only going to get better.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #53: Jul 11, 2014 11:50:39 am
      Some good debate on here [P_d & 5t] with very valid points being made by both parties. At the moment I'm coming down on the side of 5t. The simple reason being that although it may well be "a steady rise under fsg"; it need not be.

At the moment: [things can change quickly], to me, it looks like we've been playing it safe and have been buying players to consolidate rather than push on. Paradoxically, the thing is; any players who would help us push on would, by definition, help us consolidate.

At the moment: I don't believe (only an opinion) that Lambert, Lallana and Can, good an all as they are, are much, if any, better than what we had in the first XI last season. I see them as 'more of the same'; numbers to contend with a bigger fixture list rather than players who will elevate us higher than last season. To be honest: I think everyone sees them the same way and that's (maybe) why there's more talk of consolidation than talk of titles.

We fell short last season but 'only just'. Money, room on wage bill, lure of CL football, a big club with a big history and bright future, a top young manager... there really is no reason, or excuse, for us not to add top quality, in my opinion. There's still time & money left for us to be bold: fingers crossed we are.  8)

Again as with 5t, I get what you are saying, and maybe I've been dumbed down over the years by fsg and their supporters..

I still expect a top signing or two before the window shuts personally.

If we .. i... Take down my beliefs that we need to go this over a period of time and jump fully onto what you and 5t say, which is what I would like to happen in an ideal world by the way, the question then jumps to simply why aren't we attempting to dine at the top table and offering deals that will get those types in this summer?
      Where along the line has the decision been made not to try to bring that type in and to  make do with players we - as you rightly say- we could bring here without cl football?
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #54: Jul 11, 2014 11:57:09 am
      I think it will be a fantastic signing - just dont ask me why!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #55: Jul 11, 2014 12:03:51 pm
      I still expect a top signing or toe before the window shuts personally.
      As do I Jon.

If we .. i... Take down my beliefs that we need to go this over a period of time and jump fully onto what you and 5t say, which is what I would like to happen in an ideal world by the way, the question then jumps to simply why aren't we attempting to dine at the top table and offering deals that will get those types in this summer?
      Where along the line has the decision been made not to try to bring that type in and to  make do with players we - as you rightly say- we could bring here without cl football?

That question and the fact that there's no (apparent) answer is what is, I'd suggest, leading to frustration in many cases. I bought into and fully understood the need for a slow build without money; without the drawing power of CL football but not now. Now, as I've listed elsewhere, we have an awful lot going for us.

The truth is; I've nothing against who we've signed (far from it) - I just don't believe they will give us the spark to improve on last season and isn't that what we all want?

Still... we have time & money left so I'm not flapping - just pointing out why many (myself included) have reasonable and genuine concerns that we may be left, yet again, regretting what might have been.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #56: Jul 11, 2014 12:15:57 pm

That question and the fact that there's no (apparent) answer is what is, I'd suggest, leading to frustration in many cases. I bought into and fully understood the need for a slow build without money; without the drawing power of CL football but not now. Now, as I've listed elsewhere, we have an awful lot going for us.

The truth is; I've nothing against who we've signed (far from it) - I just don't believe they will give us the spark to improve on last season and isn't that what we all want?

Still... we have time & money left so I'm not flapping - just pointing out why many (myself included) have reasonable and genuine concerns that we may be left, yet again, regretting what might have been.

I have those fears too Mouse

It begs more questions than answers, are we really thinking that Brendan and his commity would prefer a Bony than a Muller ( levels rather than specifics)
      Are we too slow in the process? In the effort to get the best value are we taking too long to get deals done that post missing out on target A, target B may have already moved on? Then we are left looking for target Shitebasket Moses Z?

I'm fairly sure we have been fully aware Luis is off for a good chunk of the last 9 months.. Surely the wheels should be in motion way before now to replace? And the level of replacement should surely show the ambition of the club?

I think Bony is a good lad, but fairly one dimensional from what I have seen him, maybe he would do a job, but as rightly pointed out we could have him here with no CL, is he the best we could target?

These questions do have to be explored

I like you though am certainly not panicking, there is plenty of time to go and I feel we will get at least one player in that will excite the masses
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #57: Jul 11, 2014 12:36:10 pm
      I think we are kind of making the same point mate

I agree that they buy into the project, but a project at PSG, City or Chelsea at the beginning is fairly easy to buy into as the money is a steady and constant drip that they will always be able to throw money at the following season until to an extent it works..
      We aren't throwing billions at the project, we are steadily building and need success to bring success in terms of revenue.. Until we are re-established I honestly think the likes of a Benzema won't gamble on us, and I'm not saying especially Bony or Lovren are the types (these are simply the links) but we need to do it consistently to become that draw..

It's been said that Sanchez chose London but I bet an element of it was that Arsenal are established for over a decade in the CL.. He wanted Juve who are the same but they couldn't afford the fee so he went with the safe option as well as London.

It's going to be a steady rise under fsg

But that's the point I'm trying to make, mate. I don't believe it will. I believe we'll finish outside of the top four this season because the rich teams are strengthening significantly and we've lost our best player in Suarez and replacing him with players you'd expect Newcastle or Spurs to be signing. Clubs that have aspirations of breaking in to the Champion's league, not clubs that want to consolidate their position there. If we don't bring in some players with experience at the highest level I fear the coming season we'll end up back to square one.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #58: Jul 11, 2014 12:52:05 pm
      But that's the point I'm trying to make, mate. I don't believe it will. I believe we'll finish outside of the top four this season because the rich teams are strengthening significantly and we've lost our best player in Suarez and replacing him with players you'd expect Newcastle or Spurs to be signing. Clubs that have aspirations of breaking in to the Champion's league, not clubs that want to consolidate their position there. If we don't bring in some players with experience at the highest level I fear the coming season we'll end up back to square one.

I agree mate

Finishing in the top 4 now is far tougher than a decade ago, with Chelsea and City artificially buying their spots, utd, arsenal who have been mainstays, us, Spurs, Everton always in that mix, or slightly below..

Let's just hope that before the window shuts we are all more comfortable than the early stages have some feeling.

You have made your points very well and extemely fairly.
      Excellent debate lad
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #59: Jul 11, 2014 12:54:13 pm
      Usually I agree with your posts but I can't on this one. Bony, imo, lacks the pace and mobility to fit into our system. Okay, Luis wasn't exactly blessed with pace either, but he had the intelligence, mobility, work ethic, and skill to make up for it. Everyone is quick to praise Daniel Sturridge for scoring 21 league goals last season, but many of those goals were down to the dynamism of Luis Suarez. He created many of those gaps for Sturridge, and they were so different in style that it actually became the most compatible, dynamic, and frightful strike partnership in Europe. Bony is not going to offer you that. Sturridge is a number nine, Luis wasn't. Luis complimented Daniel's play an awful lot, and Luis also gave Daniel better angles to work with (i.e feeding in Luis himself). Bony will offer none of this. He's a slow target man who expects to be fed himself. Both strikers want to be fed. Neither have the work rate or intelligence of Luis - that's expected, but you'd need one of them to take the initiative. This is where, wait for it, Sanchez would have been perfect. But we cannot sign Sanchez now, but there is no doubt that there is someone appropriate for our system out there. When Sturridge was out, we were still dominating other teams. The link up play between Suarez and Sterling was a joy to watch. You've got to remember what made us such a threat last season. It was that one player. I'd be disappointed if Bony was his replacement. Again, it's not that I don't rate Bony - I do, I just feel we need to be patient in terms of Luis' replacement.

Some people are on this forum are never going to get it. We are not and can not get a direct replacement for Suarez!
      As for Bony being a slow target man really, you should watch him a bit more before making those sort of comments. He scored 25 goals last season and it's a big if that he moves to us he will be playing with better players.
      At the end of the day if BR wants him that's good enough for me.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Jul 11, 2014 12:57:24 pm
      I agree mate

Finishing in the top 4 now is far tougher than a decade ago, with Chelsea and City artificially buying their spots, utd, arsenal who have been mainstays, us, Spurs, Everton always in that mix, or slightly below..

Let's just hope that before the window shuts we are all more comfortable than the early stages have some feeling.

You have made your points very well and extemely fairly.
      Excellent debate lad

Aye mate, it's early doors yet. Good debating with you :)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #61: Jul 11, 2014 01:07:48 pm
      Some people are on this forum are never going to get it. We are not and can not get a direct replacement for Suarez!
      As for Bony being a slow target man really, you should watch him a bit more before making those sort of comments. He scored 25 goals last season and it's a big if that he moves to us he will be playing with better players.
      At the end of the day if BR wants him that's good enough for me.

Wheeeeeeey!

You are right, we cannot get a direct replacement for Suarez. But can we get a player who'd compliment the team better than Bony. How do you see him fitting in? Care to elaborate?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #62: Jul 11, 2014 01:13:18 pm
      Wheeeeeeey!

You are right, we cannot get a direct replacement for Suarez. But can we get a player who'd compliment the team better than Bony. How do you see him fitting in? Care to elaborate?

I personally don't think we will sign him but if we do it's more likely as a back up as we all know Sturridge does not have the best injury record.
      I think Brendan will go back to 1 up top and the only reason we played with 2 last season was because of the incredible talent of Suarez.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #63: Jul 11, 2014 02:05:21 pm
      MattJL
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #64: Jul 11, 2014 03:21:46 pm
      Cannot understand any of the people on here criticising Bony. Scored 25 goals in an average-at-best Swansea side. Obviously he won't replace Suarez, but he can certainly replace some of the 30 goals per season lost by the sale. Who knows how many he could get with the service he would be getting at Liverpool?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #65: Jul 11, 2014 03:25:54 pm
      Prices for players have inflated so much recently, but if Luiz is worth 50m, and Torres 50m when he was here, i can't see the problem with Bony being valued 20m.

Clinical finisher, would be a great partner for Sturridge imo, works hard and is strong and physical in the air as well as good with his feet, i think him and Sturridge would compliment each other well.

Would be happy if we signed him, but if we did i think we would need to strengthen in other areas more effectively. This wouldn't be a "marquee" signing for me, nevertheless hope it happens.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #66: Jul 11, 2014 03:29:46 pm
      Pretty long video but here's all his goals from last season.

Wilfried Bony - All 26 Goals in Season | 2013/14 HD
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #67: Jul 11, 2014 03:30:15 pm
      I'm not a big fan of Bony, but I've admittedly only seen him play a handful of times.  I don't think he really fits into the "fluid front 3" that BR likes to deploy, but if BR rates him and wants him to fill the void created by Suarez leaving then I'm all for it. 

Edit:  I just watched the video.  He certainly has a poachers instincts - pulling into good spaces in front of goal and making himself hard to mark.  I'd personally rather have Michu because I think his all round game would be a better fit with our team, but again it comes down to BR and I will trust his judgement.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2014 03:44:55 pm by harrydunn08 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #68: Jul 11, 2014 03:30:48 pm
      Wouldn't have a problem with him if I'm honest. We could do a LOT worse.

Quick Reply