Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Lucas Leiva (Napoli)

Read 21425 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Napoli)
      Reply #115: Aug 15, 2014 11:20:28 pm

A loan would be pointless.

As much as I like and  rate Lucas if he is off get him sold and move on.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #116: Aug 21, 2014 04:58:31 am
      Napoli have signed De Guzman on a permanent transfer (I think 4 mil)

Should see if this'll have further legs
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #117: Aug 21, 2014 05:14:53 am
      With De Guzman in they look pretty set in midfield.

With them losing Fernandez to Swansea though, they might come in for Danny.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #118: Aug 21, 2014 08:27:12 am
      It's sad that injuries have affected his game so much.

When he was on top form, Lucas was one of the top defensive midfielders in Europe both statistically and through the eyes of anyone who actually understands the game (not you Federer).

Playing in that position in the modern game necessarily means he will be making tackles and "giving away free kicks" in the most dangerous positions - he acts as a shield in front of the defence and letting attackers run through to be tackled by the back line would be far more dangerous as well as conceded ing more penalties.

Obviously, some defensive midfielders would actually do this so that the spotlight could be shifted onto the centre back actually making the tackle and thereby allowing them to be the subject of abuse from the usual suspects on internet boards but Lucas has always a player who has showed courage, not least in putting the team first.

I hope he gets the move to Napoli as the pace will suit his game much more. Funny to think that if he hadn't injured his knee, Kenny might still still be in the job.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #119: Aug 21, 2014 10:46:45 am
      It's sad that injuries have affected his game so much.

When he was on top form, Lucas was one of the top defensive midfielders in Europe both statistically and through the eyes of anyone who actually understands the game (not you Federer).

Playing in that position in the modern game necessarily means he will be making tackles and "giving away free kicks" in the most dangerous positions - he acts as a shield in front of the defence and letting attackers run through to be tackled by the back line would be far more dangerous as well as conceded ing more penalties.

Obviously, some defensive midfielders would actually do this so that the spotlight could be shifted onto the centre back actually making the tackle and thereby allowing them to be the subject of abuse from the usual suspects on internet boards but Lucas has always a player who has showed courage, not least in putting the team first.

I hope he gets the move to Napoli as the pace will suit his game much more. Funny to think that if he hadn't injured his knee, Kenny might still still be in the job.

Good post.

I agree that at one stage Lucas was among the top DM around but that injury really took it's toll on him and he finds it difficult in the pace of the English game now.

A move to Italy would really suit him but he's player I'd really hate to see go but think it may well happen.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #120: Aug 21, 2014 11:26:21 am
      Heard Rafa wants one more mid, reportedly Sandro after Fellaini went down injured
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #121: Aug 21, 2014 12:15:00 pm
      I've always thought that after his injury, the best place for Lucas would be Spain or Italy.
      Infact, these countries are good for most players eg at the end of their careers when the pace and stamina is waning.

Would have made sense for Gerrard too.

Hopefully we'll see a more mobile replacement come in. Caan is still young but looks promising. And I'm not a fan of Allen.
      Gerrard too is waning. And Hendo is still developing. So there is a bit of a thinness there, esp if we choose a "working "midfield 3 for lots of matches.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #122: Aug 21, 2014 12:58:27 pm
      Khedira available from Real Madrid.
      Sorry Lucas but good luck.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #123: Aug 21, 2014 01:00:11 pm
      Khedira available from Real Madrid.
      Sorry Lucas but good luck.

Love Lucas.....but £12m for Khedira would be some business.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #124: Aug 21, 2014 01:07:38 pm
      Any link to Khedira?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #125: Aug 21, 2014 01:16:58 pm

Only mentioned it because Ancelotti said in a presser today that Di Maria and Khedira had rejected new contracts.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #126: Aug 21, 2014 03:16:53 pm
      Mancs in for Alonso is a rumour. If true id sell Lucas and swipe for Xabi. Alonso feeding Sterling Coutinho Markovic Sturridge and Balotelli whilst reunited with Stevie  :jackoff:
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #127: Aug 21, 2014 03:33:14 pm
      Alonso, Khedira, Song....if Lucas goes I would take any of them to be honest. I would not be extremely picky about it.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #128: Aug 21, 2014 04:11:23 pm
      I've always thought that after his injury, the best place for Lucas would be Spain or Italy.
      Infact, these countries are good for most players eg at the end of their careers when the pace and stamina is waning.

Would have made sense for Gerrard too.

Hopefully we'll see a more mobile replacement come in. Caan is still young but looks promising. And I'm not a fan of Allen.
      Gerrard too is waning. And Hendo is still developing. So there is a bit of a thinness there, esp if we choose a "working "midfield 3 for lots of matches.

27 is hardly the end of your career though is it? But you are right about pace and stamina being the most prevalent qualities needed for a DM within the EPL. Italy would be the obvious destination, I think La Liga would be still too quick for him.

Obviously, I'd be more than happy if he were to be replaced by somebody such as Khedira but if he can't - keep him. I can't remember the last time from recent history of us having an exceptionally good enough sub's bench and back-ups - we've definitely got that now. Besides, we all know and appreciate how quickly injuries and suspensions can decimate squads don't we? 

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #129: Aug 21, 2014 04:16:28 pm
      27 is hardly the end of your career though is it? But you are right about pace and stamina being the most prevalent qualities needed for a DM within the EPL. Italy would be the obvious destination, I think La Liga would be still too quick for him.

Obviously, I'd be more than happy if he were to be replaced by somebody such as Khedira but if he can't - keep him. I can't remember the last time from recent history of us having an exceptionally good enough sub's bench and back-ups - we've definitely got that now. Besides, we all know and appreciate how quickly injuries and suspensions can decimate squads don't we?

No you are right. I think Lucas can have a long career ahead of him. It hasnt shortened his career, just that he has to be a different type of player nowadays.

He has lost some mobility, which makes his job at Lpool harder (we have a lot of attacking players, which means it puts more pressure on the def midifieder to bomb back). Its similar to like how Zenden, Gullit, Shearer and Barnes etc reinvented themselves after losing their pace (ok some to a greater level than others).

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #130: Aug 22, 2014 12:24:17 am
      Alonso would be superb. Either him or Stevie playing that role effortlessly.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #131: Aug 22, 2014 02:01:30 am
      Alonso would be superb. Either him or Stevie playing that role effortlessly.

So long as they don't replicate their WC performances eh? Lets be honest - they were both absolute sh*te whilst playing for their respective countries.

As much as I'd love to have the maestro back here playing, I'd say his ship has already sailed. I can't imagine him being in Brendan's plans somehow.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #132: Aug 22, 2014 02:03:46 am
      Just as a quick fix back up. Khedira is a good player but not really what we need. Just a better version of Lucas.

Alonso is like for like and both can rotate depending on fitness with a larger playing schedule.

Of course we can go out and sign someone else but would be nice to have a similar type of player.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #133: Aug 22, 2014 11:16:04 am
      Not sure if Lucas will go before Sep1, but if he does, don't reckon BR will look to sign a replacement before window closes - we have SG/Hendo/Allen/Can.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #134: Aug 22, 2014 02:37:59 pm
      I am coming round to the idea of a bigger squad. Away from home in the bigger games we might play a compact 3 in midfield and all you need is for one out of SG/Can/Allen/Hendo to be injured or suspended and suddenly you have no option on the bench to come in for the last 20 minutes and keep things tight. Coutinho presses well in the home games but SG/Henderson/Coutinho away against Chelsea for example could be trouble. Apart from Robinson and one of Coates and Toure I am not sure we have too many genuinely surplus members of the squad
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #135: Aug 23, 2014 05:03:28 pm
      Sportmediaset - Napoli have agreed terms with Liverpool for Lucas Leiva on loan with option to buy.Napoli would pay €2m to have the Brazilian midfielder on loan for one season, plus an option to buy for a further €10m in July 2015

F**king loans!! Seriously livid..

If we can get Alex Song on loan, then this deal sounds okay..
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #136: Aug 23, 2014 05:09:48 pm
      Sportmediaset - Napoli have agreed terms with Liverpool for Lucas Leiva on loan with option to buy.Napoli would pay €2m to have the Brazilian midfielder on loan for one season, plus an option to buy for a further €10m in July 2015

F**king loans!! Seriously livid..

If we can get Alex Song on loan, then this deal sounds okay..

He'll surely be replaced? Song would definitely be an upgrade.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #137: Aug 23, 2014 05:16:56 pm
      http://www.football-italia.net/54789/napoli-agree-lucas-leiva-terms

I feel we'll be light in the center unless we bring in a DM/CM.. January may be..

Quick Reply