Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

2014/15 season expectations?

Read 11807 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: 2014/15 season expectations?
      Reply #46: Jul 20, 2014 11:23:55 pm
      I don't assume anything, especially when it comes to football.
      I'll put it this way, winning two cups or the league and a cup is not far fetched, I see our attacking style with pace as the change from the tiki taka that failed last year, in the world cup and CL.
      Bayern didn't play tiki taka when they won it, they played with pace two years ago.
      Pace is everything now, we have a sh*t load of pace.
      The fastest lad we have is actually Ibe imo, keep him here.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #47: Jul 20, 2014 11:28:55 pm
      A lot will depend on the development of Sterling and Coutinho

I think Ibe as well, his pace and power could be of real use this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a chance this season, especially if he excels throughout pre-season.

A lot of people are saying about the loss of Suarez and an "aging Gerrard" but come on people. We have the second top scorer from last season who was playing brilliantly both with and without Suarez alongside him and was winning us points on his own at the start of the season! Along with Hendo who is starting to turn into a quality player and then there is Sterling who has been incredible where ever he has played. We have a lot more reasons to be optimistic than we did a year ago.

We may have lost Suarez but we have Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Hendo and Ibe who are all young and could make a real impact next season. In the mix with Markovic and hopefully Lallana would carry over his form from last season. Not to mention we are still going to make more signings. We may have lost Suarez but at the same time we are getting a much better balance to the squad. We scored 101 goals in the league last season, Suarez got 31 of them, that means we had another 70 goals spread throughout the team!

It's going to be harder next season, of course it is, but that's why we are getting more depth to the squad and I am starting to feel as though Rodgers is starting by getting in this side of the team and is then gearing up to make one, possibly two major signings that will really show our intent and possibly eclipse the money we paid for Carroll.

What is for sure though, is that he needs to deliver a cup next season because our cup runs haven't been good enough.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #48: Jul 20, 2014 11:43:38 pm
      I think Ibe as well, his pace and power could be of real use this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a chance this season, especially if he excels throughout pre-season.

A lot of people are saying about the loss of Suarez and an "aging Gerrard" but come on people. We have the second top scorer from last season who was playing brilliantly both with and without Suarez alongside him and was winning us points on his own at the start of the season! Along with Hendo who is starting to turn into a quality player and then there is Sterling who has been incredible where ever he has played. We have a lot more reasons to be optimistic than we did a year ago.

We may have lost Suarez but we have Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Hendo and Ibe who are all young and could make a real impact next season. In the mix with Markovic and hopefully Lallana would carry over his form from last season. Not to mention we are still going to make more signings. We may have lost Suarez but at the same time we are getting a much better balance to the squad. We scored 101 goals in the league last season, Suarez got 31 of them, that means we had another 70 goals spread throughout the team!

It's going to be harder next season, of course it is, but that's why we are getting more depth to the squad and I am starting to feel as though Rodgers is starting by getting in this side of the team and is then gearing up to make one, possibly two major signings that will really show our intent and possibly eclipse the money we paid for Carroll.

What is for sure though, is that he needs to deliver a cup next season because our cup runs haven't been good enough.

I think Ibe may well get a few chances this season, but I don't think he will really make an impact (in the way Stirling has) for a couple of years yet mate.  His finishing is poor and I don't think he is as far along in his development as Stirling was. Seems a lot rougher around the edges that Stirling did. Certainly not someone who I will be counting on this season, but he looks like he could be a great impact player from the bench.

I agree with most of what you say mate.... just feel we are a little bit short of top quality to really maintain a challenge for the title. I do think we should do much better in the cups and if our title push does fade early I will be expecting (hoping really) a cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Jul 20, 2014 11:53:41 pm
      but I don't think he will really make an impact (in the way Stirling has) for a couple of years yet mate.  His finishing is poor and I don't think he is as far along in his development as Stirling was.

Yeah he isn't developing as quick as Sterling but in terms of pace and power he can be a big threat, get him running at a defender and it could draw another one out and open up space for us. Some times it's better having a player rough around the edges in their development when they first break through because nobody knows what to expect.

It's going to be an interesting season both domestically and in Europe.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #50: Jul 21, 2014 01:26:58 am
      I just want to see continued progress.  BR is building a team by bringing in talented young players and integrating them into the group, so it will take time to make the jump from coming close to winning things, to actually winning important trophies on a yearly basis.  I will personally be satisfied if we can qualify for the CL again (top 3 would be ideal), get through to the knockout rounds of the CL, make it to the quarter finals (or better) in the FA Cup, and have a decent run in the League Cup with our young lads being used exclusively so they can gain some 1st team experience. 
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #51: Jul 21, 2014 08:07:14 am
      I thought we would struggle without Suarez but the signings we are making tells me that without Suarez we will be changing formation. Yes we did score a bucket full of goals last season but we also conceded a bucket full also. So for me a formation change to 4 3 3 and shore up our defence should counter act the loss of Suarez's goals.

Mignolet
      Johnson           Lovren (?)            Sakho        Moreno (?)
                                         Gerrard
                      Henderson                  Coutinho
      Sterling                     Sturridge                    Lallana

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #52: Jul 21, 2014 09:59:31 am
      I thought we would struggle without Suarez but the signings we are making tells me that without Suarez we will be changing formation. Yes we did score a bucket full of goals last season but we also conceded a bucket full also. So for me a formation change to 4 3 3 and shore up our defence should counter act the loss of Suarez's goals.

Mignolet
      Johnson           Lovren (?)            Sakho        Moreno (?)
                                         Gerrard
                      Henderson                  Coutinho
      Sterling                     Sturridge                    Lallana

No it does not counter act the loss of Suarez. People will find his out when the new season arrives. People will be crying about how we have not replaced Suarez and how we are now paying the price for it.

Suarez adds a whole new dimension to the team. The guy is unplayable. If it he is not directly involved in the play, his presence made the difference. Players respected him, and the shape of their teams changed because of him.

So tell me. When Sturridge gets injured where will our goals come from? Lambert and Remy?

And that team you listed will not come close to winning the league. Severely weakened in attack. The defence improves marginally.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #53: Jul 21, 2014 10:14:35 am
      No it does not counter act the loss of Suarez. People will find his out when the new season arrives. People will be crying about how we have not replaced Suarez and how we are now paying the price for it.

Suarez adds a whole new dimension to the team. The guy is unplayable. If it he is not directly involved in the play, his presence made the difference. Players respected him, and the shape of their teams changed because of him.

Agreed mate, Suarez was in a different League to every other player playing in the Premiership. There are many moments that he mesmerized me but the one that sticks out and I'll never foget it, although I do forget who it was against, was the one where we were awarded a Free kick in the right channel. He was out by the sideline, he placed the ball on the ground and from nowhere he curls it with the outside of his foot into the corner of the net. The c**t Ref disallowed it because he hadn't blown his whistle yet. That was the most amazing thing I have seen from him and I doubt anyone could ever replace that kind of genius.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Jul 21, 2014 10:20:22 am
      Too difficult to call without seeing who else we bring in but I expect us to make another serious challenge for the title, maybe not with the same flair or scorelines as last season but that's ok as we'll qualify for the CL in the process and get to a domestic cup final.

I'll amend this as necessary once the window closes.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: Jul 21, 2014 10:54:52 am

So tell me. When Sturridge gets injured where will our goals come from? Lambert and Remy?

And that team you listed will not come close to winning the league. Severely weakened in attack. The defence improves marginally.
      You don't think that younger players such as Sterling, Hendo, Sturridge, Coutinho, etc. will improve upon their performances from last season? And it's a tad early to be complaining about the lack of a Suarez replacement when we haven't even touched the money we got from his sale yet!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #56: Jul 21, 2014 10:59:10 am
      You don't think that younger players such as Sterling, Hendo, Sturridge, Coutinho, etc. will improve upon their performances from last season? And it's a tad early to be complaining about the lack of a Suarez replacement when we haven't even touched the money we got from his sale yet!

I do think they'll improve, but Sterling and Sturridge for example were helped incredibly by Luis Suarez. Just saying, let's see how they cope without him there.

No we haven't touched the Suarez money but it's pretty obvious who are set to spend it on.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Jul 21, 2014 11:03:18 am
      No we haven't touched the Suarez money but it's pretty obvious who are set to spend it on.

Is it?  Pray do tell, I'm intrigued.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #58: Jul 21, 2014 12:00:33 pm

Enlighten us!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #59: Jul 21, 2014 12:16:19 pm

Is JWH getting Linda a new boob job!!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #60: Jul 21, 2014 01:27:11 pm

How will this team weaken our attack? is just because the biter isn't in the team? Lallana is a proven goal scorer in the EPL and even if he wasn't in the team we have Markovic to come in and hurt any team with his pace. Remy has scored goals in the EPL. I know Suarez is gone and we will miss him but we cannot go back to being a team that always relies on one player to bale us out of trouble like we did with Gerrard for years. These other players will have to chip in. We're still going to play with the same intensity, players will improve from last season as well. The formation change will help us as the three forward players will split across the pitch and this will spread the attack and they will be expected to mark the oppositions full backs instead of us having our full backs supplying the width and getting caught out as Johnson did so many times last season. Ok maybe we will not score as many goals but strengthening our defence will help in conceding so many.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #61: Jul 22, 2014 04:42:09 pm
      So, I saw an article the other day that was judging the transfer activity of different clubs so far this summer.  The article gave Liverpool a 6/10 for losing Suarez and signing Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, and Can at a net spend of -20M.  The same F***ing article gave the Scum a 9/10 for losing Vidic, Evra, and Ferdinand and signing Shaw and Herrera for a net spend of 60M.  You couldn't make that sh*t up!!  Their back 5 and GK at this time will currently look like:

Gea
      Rafael  Jones  Smalling  Shaw
                     Fellaini

That is a back 5 I'd expect to see at a club like West Ham or Aston Villa!  There is no experience or leadership at the back, and aside from Shaw and Gea there is no great quality in those 6 players either.  Just goes to show you how F***ing biased the media is against LFC....
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #62: Jul 22, 2014 05:45:25 pm
      13/14 Premier League

Lambert 13 goals, 11 assists
      Remy 14 goals, 3 assists
      Lallana 9 goals, 8 assists

Total, 36 goals, 22 assists

Suarez 31 goals, 21 assists

We've gained five goals and one assist as well as around 35 million. (once Remy arrives...if he does)
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #63: Jul 22, 2014 05:47:40 pm
      13/14 Premier League

Lambert 13 goals, 11 assists
      Remy 14 goals, 3 assists
      Lallana 9 goals, 8 assists

Total, 36 goals, 22 assists

Suarez 31 goals, 21 assists

We've gained five goals and one assist as well as around 35 million.

Doesn't quite work like that and you know it.

3 players don't fit into 1 position in the team.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #64: Jul 22, 2014 05:49:51 pm

Mignolet
      Skrtel Sakho
      Gerrard
      Sterling Henderson Coutinho Lallana
      Remy Lambert Sturridge

Problem solved.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #65: Jul 22, 2014 05:50:04 pm

no but the principle of the team chipping in more goals is clearly one of Brendans objectives.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #66: Jul 22, 2014 05:55:35 pm
      Mignolet
      Skrtel Sakho
      Gerrard
      Sterling Henderson Coutinho Lallana
      Remy Lambert Sturridge

Problem solved.

Haha, I'm sure we'll keep lots of clean sheets with that team.

no but the principle of the team chipping in more goals is clearly one of Brendans objectives.

Yeah I know mate, I was just making the point that we will not be able to replace Suarez' contributions with our new signings alone, as no one can replace his individual class.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #67: Jul 22, 2014 06:00:29 pm
      Haha, I'm sure we'll keep lots of clean sheets with that team.

We hardly kept clean sheets last year, might as well just go gung ho.

Alternatively, we could line up with something like this

GK - Mignolet
      CB - Lovren
      CB - Skrtel
      CB - Sakho
      RWB - Sterling
      LWB - Lallana
      CM - Henderson
      CM - Gerrard
      AM - Lambert
      CF - Remy
      CF - Sturridge