Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Alan Hansen- How good was he?

Read 9162 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Alan Hansen- How good was he?
      Jul 13, 2014 03:45:20 pm
      I find Liverpool fans tend to do 2 things. Make a player out to be far better then they are or completely underrate players. One player that surely no red can underrate is Alan Hansen.

I wonder though do I overrate him. In my view he had it all. He was often accused of not doing the dirty work like sliding in to win 50 50s but he never really had to he read the game so superbly. And I've never seen a better centre half on the ball.

Id love to see how highly you all rate him. Where does he stand in the pantheon of great centre half's? Like Kenny does the fact he is Scotland prevent the recognition he would probably get if he was English? 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Alan Hansen- How good was he?
      Reply #1: Jul 13, 2014 03:48:16 pm
      I rate him very highly Brian but I think it's a natural tendency for football fans to remember goal scorers higher than everyone else.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #2: Jul 13, 2014 03:51:28 pm
      I think if he wasn't Scottish and played in more World Cups he would be remembered as one of the all time great defenders Brian.

Fantastic player.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Jul 13, 2014 03:51:31 pm
      Never saw him play in his pomp but from what I saw he looked like one of the most technically gifted and progressive centre backs of his era. He embodies everything I love about centre backs - not afraid to play the ball on the ground and so unbelievably intelligent. He's from another era of football but he's one player you are certain could make the transition to any top European side today.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4: Jul 13, 2014 03:54:30 pm
      A wonderful player whose only fault was that he lacked a bit of pace, but like Hyypia, he made up for it with excellent positioning.
      Now when I say lacked a bit of pace, I don't mean he was glacially slow, I mean like most CB's he wasn't as quick as the forwards he generally faced.
      He was elegance personified and appeared at times to glide across the pitch, he could pass, head, defend and he had a rocket of a shot on him when he chose to use it.
      An organiser, a leader, a true winner and an outstanding footballer.

For me, he's simply the best we've had in that position.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jul 13, 2014 03:55:36 pm
      Very. End of.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Jul 13, 2014 04:04:09 pm
      Probably the best CB Liverpool have ever had imo. Always seemed to have time and especially in his early days (before his injuries) wonderful at starting attacks and playing through balls. He said in his book that he was one of the faster players at Liverpool, but the way he strolled around you would never have guessed, although he did give a demonstration of just how fast he was when he scored against the mancs in the cup and sprinted half the length of the field to celebrate.

The first time I saw him play I told my mates he would never make it as a CB .... maybe a FB but never a CB... he takes too many risks. (I will get one right one of these days )

Said in his book that he was never a brave player and hated playing against big physical strikers, again he was that good you would never have guessed.

I don't think it was any coincidence that we haven't won the league since he retired... he really was that good.

Liverpool Legend - Alan Hansen
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014 04:15:39 pm by s@int »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Jul 13, 2014 04:40:35 pm
      The ultimate professional is a term used sometimes frivolously, in the context of Alan Hansen no other description applies.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Jul 13, 2014 04:56:04 pm
      A wonderful player whose only fault was that he lacked a bit of pace, but like Hyypia, he made up for it with excellent positioning.
      Now when I say lacked a bit of pace, I don't mean he was glacially slow, I mean like most CB's he wasn't as quick as the forwards he generally faced.
      He was elegance personified and appeared at times to glide across the pitch, he could pass, head, defend and he had a rocket of a shot on him when he chose to use it.
      An organiser, a leader, a true winner and an outstanding footballer.

For me, he's simply the best we've had in that position.

Can't really say much more than this....well said Swab except that what I loved about 'Jocky' was the fact he made everything look so easy, never hurried or flappable, he was an absolute joy to watch.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Jul 13, 2014 05:28:10 pm
      If David Luiz is worth ~£50 mil Hansen must be worth £200mil .
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #10: Jul 13, 2014 06:01:06 pm
      Doc made by the BBC on the retiring legend.

Alan Hansen - Player and Pundit
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Jul 13, 2014 06:56:18 pm
      ^^^ That was a boss programme, anyone who didn't see it should give it a watch.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Jul 13, 2014 07:03:25 pm
      Quite simply the best CB we have ever had, I can remember his days at Partick Thistle alongside his brother John, even back then you could tell he had all the attributes required to be a top top player,

When he arrived at Liverpool no one well hardly no one had any idea just how good he was, he just seemed to fit in like a hand in a glove, the rest his history's ,

But what a player, what a defender, for me despite his lack of international appearances he remained one of the best the world at that time, such a shame and tbh a f***in disgrace Ferguson left him out of the WC squad even tho Jocky was in his prime, what a kunt !
      Anyhoo ,
      There is nothing I can add that hasn't already been said, Hansen is simply another player worthy of Legend status, Simples !

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Jul 13, 2014 07:41:36 pm
      I remember being in awe of him as a kid. He had the best positional sense for any defender I can remember, always in the right place, and comfortable on the ball too.
      Along with Sami, my favourite defender ever!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #14: Jul 13, 2014 10:36:47 pm
      The best cb I've ever seen

Simple for me

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #15: Jul 13, 2014 10:57:23 pm
      He made it look easy whilst the very best opposition looked utterly fed up. That was because he saw before they did, reacted before they saw and glided away before they realised what was happening.

Priceless.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16: Jul 14, 2014 12:17:30 am
      Classy, composed and an uncanny ability to know what a striker was going to do before they did.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #17: Jul 14, 2014 01:46:33 am
      Would echo the sentiment that the doc on him by the BBC was a really good watch. So much I didn't know about him.
      Imagine he had taken over from KK.if he had I persinslly doubt they'd be a Sir Alex Ferguson stand in Manchester
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,915 posts | 819 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #18: Jul 14, 2014 03:40:08 am
      Reading this has left me envious, wish I could have been around to see such performances from him.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 14, 2014 04:34:12 am
      Was an incredible player. Unbelievable to think that he only got 30-odd international caps.

Him and Lawrenson made a great partnership.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #20: Jul 14, 2014 08:22:53 am
      How good was Alan Hansen, wish he was playing today. Swab mentioned he lacked a bit of pace, he didn't need pace as he was so articulate, no panic and as well as defence he set us up on the attack so many times. Best of all he has remained a RED, good on you Alan.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Jul 14, 2014 08:36:08 am
      He's the best centre-half we've had in my time [1971...] as a Red and no-one else has even come close, if the truth be told. To be honest; I'm trying to think if I've seen a better centre-half anywhere in that time.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #22: Jul 14, 2014 10:07:44 am
      Best centre back I've ever seen in a red shirt by some distance.

The reason I always wanted to wear the number 6 shirt as a kid.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #23: Jul 14, 2014 11:23:12 am
      Best I've seen too.  My first game was in 1974, so I've seen a few, but he made it look so easy.  As the OP says, he really didn't seem to make too many tackles because he didn't need to.  Right place, anticipation and running players off the ball (I don't think he was the slouch some have suggested).

However, I also think that it was all about the partnership with Lawrenson - that was the best CB pairing I have ever seen without doubt.  They complemented each other perfectly.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,215 posts | 916 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #24: Jul 14, 2014 11:45:17 am
      He was the best CB we had, great under pressure, great positioning, great in the air, dominant, and even great coming out with the ball, his only drawback was he was a little slow, wish we had him now
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #25: Jul 14, 2014 12:01:26 pm
      Hansen and Thompson was good partnership at the back.. Hansen and Lawrenson was even better.. both Thompson and Lawrenson complimenting Hansen's style of gliding through midfield with the ball from the back and setting up an attack..
      Great with both his feet and his head.. and he was from that school of Scottish hard knocks, you know, the one that Shanks, St John, Yeats, Kenny, Nicol, Souness etc came from...say no more...
      Mad to think he only scored 20 goals in 14 years at Anfield... One of the best for me was his winner against West Ham in the League Cup final replay at Villa Park..
      I think the only time I saw him outrun was at Wembley in 86 when Gary Lineker put the bitters ahead in the final...
      Would have had more winners medals if it wasn't for Aston Villa and Notts Forest in the late 70's early 80's..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26: Jul 14, 2014 01:35:38 pm
      I've been trying to think of a single word that sums him up, and Ive decided it is Majestic.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Jul 14, 2014 06:52:00 pm
      How good was Alan Hansen, wish he was playing today. Swab mentioned he lacked a bit of pace, he didn't need pace as he was so articulate, no panic and as well as defence he set us up on the attack so many times. Best of all he has remained a RED, good on you Alan.

when you think of our CB's back then Hansen, Thommo, Lawrenson and Gillespie all of them would have got into any team in todays football.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Jul 14, 2014 08:37:36 pm
      I've been trying to think of a single word that sums him up, and Ive decided it is Majestic.

How about deceptive, he only looked slow but in reality was fast enough.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Jul 14, 2014 08:59:31 pm

how about WINNER
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #30: Jul 16, 2014 01:25:57 am
      How good was Alan Hansen?

Compare him to John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

Compare him to Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique.

Compare him to Vincent Kompany.

And none of these players are ever mentioned in the same breath. The only player I have seen compared to him is Sami Hyypia.

Alan Hansen was not good, he was the best.

Quick Reply