Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Alan Hansen- How good was he?

Read 9158 times
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Re: Alan Hansen- How good was he?
      Reply #23: Jul 14, 2014 11:23:12 am
      Best I've seen too.  My first game was in 1974, so I've seen a few, but he made it look so easy.  As the OP says, he really didn't seem to make too many tackles because he didn't need to.  Right place, anticipation and running players off the ball (I don't think he was the slouch some have suggested).

However, I also think that it was all about the partnership with Lawrenson - that was the best CB pairing I have ever seen without doubt.  They complemented each other perfectly.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,209 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #24: Jul 14, 2014 11:45:17 am
      He was the best CB we had, great under pressure, great positioning, great in the air, dominant, and even great coming out with the ball, his only drawback was he was a little slow, wish we had him now
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #25: Jul 14, 2014 12:01:26 pm
      Hansen and Thompson was good partnership at the back.. Hansen and Lawrenson was even better.. both Thompson and Lawrenson complimenting Hansen's style of gliding through midfield with the ball from the back and setting up an attack..
      Great with both his feet and his head.. and he was from that school of Scottish hard knocks, you know, the one that Shanks, St John, Yeats, Kenny, Nicol, Souness etc came from...say no more...
      Mad to think he only scored 20 goals in 14 years at Anfield... One of the best for me was his winner against West Ham in the League Cup final replay at Villa Park..
      I think the only time I saw him outrun was at Wembley in 86 when Gary Lineker put the bitters ahead in the final...
      Would have had more winners medals if it wasn't for Aston Villa and Notts Forest in the late 70's early 80's..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26: Jul 14, 2014 01:35:38 pm
      I've been trying to think of a single word that sums him up, and Ive decided it is Majestic.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Jul 14, 2014 06:52:00 pm
      How good was Alan Hansen, wish he was playing today. Swab mentioned he lacked a bit of pace, he didn't need pace as he was so articulate, no panic and as well as defence he set us up on the attack so many times. Best of all he has remained a RED, good on you Alan.

when you think of our CB's back then Hansen, Thommo, Lawrenson and Gillespie all of them would have got into any team in todays football.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Jul 14, 2014 08:37:36 pm
      I've been trying to think of a single word that sums him up, and Ive decided it is Majestic.

How about deceptive, he only looked slow but in reality was fast enough.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Jul 14, 2014 08:59:31 pm

how about WINNER
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #30: Jul 16, 2014 01:25:57 am
      How good was Alan Hansen?

Compare him to John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

Compare him to Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique.

Compare him to Vincent Kompany.

And none of these players are ever mentioned in the same breath. The only player I have seen compared to him is Sami Hyypia.

Alan Hansen was not good, he was the best.

Quick Reply