Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Is Stevie our version of David Luiz?

Read 2037 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Is Stevie our version of David Luiz?
      Jul 13, 2014 03:57:23 pm

David Luiz is one of my favourite footballers to watch.

A natural leader, athletic and with a superb passing range he plays in either defending or holding midfield roles and takes personal responsibility when his team are in crisis - for example, when the star of the team (Neymar in this case) is out for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, he was not the captain that Brazil needed when they went a goal down against Germany. Time after time he was caught out of position trying to force play and hitting long passes that switched play but allowed the Germans to isolate the receiver and stop the attack. Luiz's natural proclivity to attack turned out to be the right instinct but in the wrong situation.

Sustained success, such as that required to win a league campaign, isn't just about inspiring your team-mates with Roy-of-the-Rovers style heroics, it most reliably comes from having a winning gameplan, keeping a clear and patient head and ruthlessly taking your chances.

In a team where everyone else can blow the opposition out of the water - such as PSG - Luiz could be one of the best players in Europe. However, when both teams are more closely matched, as we saw against Germany, his brilliance is not enough to make up for the deficiencies in the more boring part of the game but which is nevertheless crucial when playing as Captain in the heart of the team.

Yes, Brazil were capable of scoring goals but results come from a balance of attack and defence and it is no coincidence that you have to go back to the Belgian side of 1986 to find a team that conceded as many in the finals (15 vs 14).

Given we have witnessed one of the greatest footballing extravaganzas of all time with some of the world's best coaches and managers competing against each other (and Roy Hodgson); are there any lessons we could use in planning our approach for the coming season?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Re: Is Stevie our version of David Luiz?
      Reply #1: Jul 13, 2014 03:59:53 pm
      I've read this twice now and I still haven't a clue what point you're trying to make?
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #2: Jul 13, 2014 04:00:17 pm
      I've read this twice now and I still haven't a clue what point you're trying to make?

Was thinking the same thing.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #3: Jul 13, 2014 04:03:18 pm

Mee too :D
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4: Jul 13, 2014 04:11:44 pm
      ;D Really? Maybe I wasn't specific enough - my apologies.

We have the best attack and 8th best defence last season. Scoring goals isn't our problem. Keeping things tight and having a patient approach to our build-up play is the problem.

We need a Mascherano rather than David Luiz playing at the base of our midfield.

If we had David Luiz playing there I would have serious concerns about conceding too many goals to win the league despite the attacking prowess he would give us. The balance of the team would be wrong.

In attitude and skills which of those two players is Stevie closest to?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,226 posts | 2806 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Jul 13, 2014 04:25:10 pm
      Piss take isn't it?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #6: Jul 13, 2014 04:33:51 pm
      Truly bizarre.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #7: Jul 13, 2014 04:33:54 pm
      Never thought I'd see the day where someone would genuinely compare Steven Gerrard to David Luiz. It's like John Terry trying to convince everyone he's still a virgin.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #8: Jul 13, 2014 04:55:57 pm
      well yeah, Gerrard is definitely an attack-minded holding/defensive mid. I think I see parts of what you're trying to say.  the way both Liverpool and Brasil play, they can't really afford to have an out and out slayer in midfield like a Mascherano. you need someone there who can be as much a part of an attack as the other midfielders.  the truth is, especially in our system, and especially given the shape of the Premier League nowdays, you cannot afford to have just one cleaner in midfield. they are all accountable. Allen, Henderson, Lucas, Can, Stevie.... whoever is in the mix... even Coutinho... anybody who plays in the midfield two, three, four, whatever it is on the day will be held accountable and must all "be a Mascherano" when the time comes. we can't afford to carry one any more, not many teams can.

people always forget to look at our system when looking at transfers. you want that winger from Germany? cool. he's going to be the best in the world for sure definitely? OK. but does he track back? is he intelligent?! if he can't fit into Rodgers system, there's no point buying him. it's the same kind of thing with the midfield and the defensive midfield position. you could buy a great young slayer who would mop everything up and run around and that's great, but if he can't maintain posession in that high-tempo hard-working midfield three Rodgers has running, what's the point? if he's going to clean up but then give the ball away Kolo Toure style (sorry Kolo, we know it's high pressure in the Rodgers system!) when we're doing our thing across the back 5, and drop points easily like that, what's the point?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Jul 13, 2014 05:02:19 pm
      Is Stevie our version of David Luiz?....yet you fail to even mention him at all in the opening post and talk more about his utter sh*te World Cup performances. Your description of David Luiz could apply to thousands of players.

This seems more like a topic of you basically kissing David Luiz' ass....ridiculous.

Quick Reply