Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Marco Reus (Dortmund)

Read 62643 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Re: Marco Reus (Dortmund)
      Reply #552: Jul 30, 2014 11:01:43 pm

You acknowledge we put in big bids for players but you don't believe we will put in bids for other players?

In a nutshell, no I don't.

Although there is still time to go in this window I suspect we will not go after another player of the quality of Sanchez. I suspect we will roll the dice on another youngster.

My thoughts on why we should sign a so called marquee player are in this thread http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46517.0.html
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #553: Jul 30, 2014 11:03:45 pm

No mate just a pipe dream alas!

Pain in the flute when you see new posts and none of them are quoting any reliable source saying that we have made any offer or enquiry for him
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 819 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #554: Jul 30, 2014 11:07:48 pm
      Pain in the flute when you see new posts and none of them are quoting any reliable source saying that we have made any offer or enquiry for him

Don't you remember the David Villa & Silva threads :D.

I reckon the Rues signing is the same. But i have never seen supporters online call for a player to be signed so much, on instagram, twitter every Liverpool tweet or instagram photo is having "sign rues, rues, rues". Even saw a picture of a fan trying to get Rodgers to sign a shirt of his.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #555: Jul 30, 2014 11:08:11 pm

Point being if the bids were being thrown around and being accepted, i am still not sure we would get the players.

You could be right mate, there is of course no real way of knowing for certain. As fans we can only speculate and draw conclusions based on reports in the press and from quotes from Brendan, Ayre etc. on the subject of attracting the top top players I agree we do need to sustain some success and for that reason it is crucial we qualify for the Champions League again this season because inter same way that we became weaker with each season put of the top competition, we will also get stronger for every consecutive season we qualify.

But having said that I still think we can bloody well get one in before this season starts!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #556: Jul 30, 2014 11:09:07 pm
      When was the last time you were overwhelmed in a transfer window?

For me would have to be the Scales / Babb double header  ;)

If this is right about Reus, we should go all out and show real intent as with the bid for Sanchez.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #557: Jul 30, 2014 11:56:03 pm
      Is there or has there ever been anything even remotely evidential that we have looked at or are looking to sign this lad?

nah.

I think this is one of those transfer rumors that Liverpool fans have made up, and it ends up getting fed to them through shitty links, and for some reason they lap it up. When the friendly v Borussia Dortmund was announced, we were all making that joke about Reus playing half the friendly for them and then half for us, like the old Mata (or was it David Silva?) thing from a few seasons back where people seemed to genuinely believe it could happen. That was the only 'link' we had with Reus, just the typical scouse humor taking the piss out of everything. The shitrags and social media outlets just read big forums like this, see what the fans are crapping on about and feed it right back to us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #558: Jul 31, 2014 12:05:37 am
      nah.

I think this is one of those transfer rumors that Liverpool fans have made up, and it ends up getting fed to them through shitty links, and for some reason they lap it up. When the friendly v Borussia Dortmund was announced, we were all making that joke about Reus playing half the friendly for them and then half for us, like the old Mata (or was it David Silva?) thing from a few seasons back where people seemed to genuinely believe it could happen. That was the only 'link' we had with Reus, just the typical scouse humor taking the piss out of everything. The shitrags and social media outlets just read big forums like this, see what the fans are crapping on about and feed it right back to us.

I think a lot of us forget that the shitty press read forums like lfcreds and just regurgitate sh*t we have been talking about.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #559: Jul 31, 2014 01:54:12 am
      Your right why oh why didn't FSG sign you as the manager instead of a Brendan!

Sarcastic replies aside, It comes down to one simple thing for myself and many others. I/we want to see us buy proven quality, not potential quality players. You can sign potentially good players if you already have top quality world class players in your side. Then you can afford to take the risk that the potential might not be realised. When our team simply lacks anyone you could consider world class right now (and one or two might well become world class in years to come), this is a risk we should not be taking. Given Rodgers' hit and miss fortunes in the transfer market to-date, I think we're entitled to question why we're not at least attempting to purchase world class players like Reus.
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #560: Jul 31, 2014 02:18:35 am
      Sarcastic replies aside, It comes down to one simple thing for myself and many others. I/we want to see us buy proven quality, not potential quality players. You can sign potentially good players if you already have top quality world class players in your side. Then you can afford to take the risk that the potential might not be realised. When our team simply lacks anyone you could consider world class right now (and one or two might well become world class in years to come), this is a risk we should not be taking. Given Rodgers' hit and miss fortunes in the transfer market to-date, I think we're entitled to question why we're not at least attempting to purchase world class players like Reus.

Indeed
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #561: Jul 31, 2014 08:08:43 am
      We are not linked to Reus officially, why is this thread here... no.
      If we are after a player like Reus, we'll only hear about it at the last moment because the offer will be strong.
      That's my belief anyway.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #562: Jul 31, 2014 10:51:08 am
      This made me smile  ;D

Liverpool's rodgers very close to signing Reus

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/liverpool/liverpool-boss-close-to-signing-dortmund-starlet

YNWA
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #563: Jul 31, 2014 10:52:01 am
      Class one that! :lmao:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #564: Jul 31, 2014 06:30:23 pm

Amazing :D Will fool quite a lot of friends with that link!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #565: Aug 02, 2014 07:44:37 pm
       #LFC have been trimmed from 11/8 to 6/5 favourites to sign Marco Reus after a handful of big bets today. #MUFC now out to 8/1, Bayern 16/1
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #566: Aug 02, 2014 07:50:13 pm

#LFC have been trimmed from 11/8 to 6/5 favourites to sign Marco Reus after a handful of big bets today. #MUFC now out to 8/1, Bayern 16/1
      Maybe some wealthy friends of his agent privvy to certain info banging on a fistful in Paddy Powers .

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #567: Aug 02, 2014 07:53:12 pm

Pretty sure anyone that wanted to put a bet on would have taken the 9/4 on offer from ladbrokes rather than the 11/8 skybet were offering. Now they're just trying to con more people into betting on a bad price they can simply lay off immediately.

Come or not, they'll win, in any case it's bullshit imo.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #568: Aug 02, 2014 08:08:44 pm
      Odds dropped because I went down and put 5 large on it earlier, 5 euro that is!!
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #569: Aug 06, 2014 10:51:47 am
      Bild reporting Reus could be available for £20M.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/28528597

Scroll down to 10:03.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #570: Aug 06, 2014 11:06:40 am
      If he was he would have been sold already
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #571: Aug 06, 2014 11:55:53 am
      If he was he would have been sold already

He is available for around £20m - but next summer (providing he doesn't sign new contract).

Worth a £30m bid now I reckon
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #572: Aug 06, 2014 01:17:57 pm
      We are not linked to Reus officially, why is this thread here... no.If we are after a player like Reus, we'll only hear about it at the last moment because the offer will be strong.That's my belief anyway.

I would agree with this. Llalana is a good example. We made our intentions clear from very early on and we (eventually, after Southampton's attempts to rinse us) got the player.

Reus is a non-event for me. But, for what it's worth, my thought about "marquee" signings such as Reus is that they will either go to glamourous clubs or clubs winning trophies. Rarely will they take a chance on a club on the verge of winning something. So, in that sense, we will struggle to sign these big name players. I'm not sure I want to at this stage anyway, but that's not the point. I would put us in the same category as Athletico or Dortmund before they won titles. They didn't get big name players, they just got  alot of raw talent and great managers, and now they have players the "rich" clubs are fighting for.

So, in that sense, I don't blame FSG for not spending 50m on a player, because I don't think we've had genuine opportunities to do so. If a player is not interested, what's the point of tabling a bid in hope of luring them in with money? You can't fault them too much for bringing stability to the club and making genuine progress on stadium expansion though. What would worry me is if we did well in Champion's League (i.e. at least quarter finals" and finished second again next year, let alone winning any of these) and they still struggled to capture top talent.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #573: Aug 06, 2014 01:21:13 pm
      I would agree with this. Llalana is a good example. We made our intentions clear from very early on and we (eventually, after Southampton's attempts to rinse us) got the player.

Reus is a non-event for me. But, for what it's worth, my thought about "marquee" signings such as Reus is that they will either go to glamourous clubs or clubs winning trophies. Rarely will they take a chance on a club on the verge of winning something. So, in that sense, we will struggle to sign these big name players. I'm not sure I want to at this stage anyway, but that's not the point. I would put us in the same category as Athletico or Dortmund before they won titles. They didn't get big name players, they just got  alot of raw talent and great managers, and now they have players the "rich" clubs are fighting for.

So, in that sense, I don't blame FSG for not spending 50m on a player, because I don't think we've had genuine opportunities to do so. If a player is not interested, what's the point of tabling a bid in hope of luring them in with money? You can't fault them too much for bringing stability to the club and making genuine progress on stadium expansion though. What would worry me is if we did well in Champion's League (i.e. at least quarter finals" and finished second again next year, let alone winning any of these) and they still struggled to capture top talent.
      Probably the most sensible way of looking at big name signings, I agree mate.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #574: Aug 06, 2014 02:51:39 pm
      In today's Guardian

Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Reus, who scored 16 goals in the Bundesliga last season

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/06/marcio-reus-dortmund-bayern-irritating

Quick Reply