Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

UEFA Champions League 2014/15

Read 58740 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      UEFA Champions League 2014/15
      Jul 15, 2014 08:35:59 pm

Second qualifying round has kicked off tonight, the first round has probably got lost under the world Cup.

The 2015 UEFA Champions League Final will be the final match of the 2014–15 UEFA Champions League, the 60th season of Europe's premier club football tournament organised by UEFA.

It will be played at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, Germany on 6 June 2015

So put all your non-Liverpool stuff in here.

2013/2014 thread is here
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Re: UEFA Champions League 2014/15
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2014 10:01:50 pm
      Celtic just got thumped 4-1 away in their 1st leg.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Jul 31, 2014 12:16:55 am
      They were dreadful man... Legia captain missed 2 penalties as well  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Jul 31, 2014 12:58:56 am
      Looks like any potential date at Celtic Park is off.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Jul 31, 2014 04:42:44 pm
      I wonder if the Scottish FA regret sanctioning Rangers because it would appear Scottish football is at anew low
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Jul 31, 2014 05:46:42 pm
      I wonder if the Scottish FA regret sanctioning Rangers because it would appear Scottish football is at anew low

It's dire isn't it?! When the Scottish Championship (with Rangers and the newly relegated Edinburgh pair) is more competitive than the SPL then you know times are hard. There is no progression or slither of hope in the Scottish game. The only positive thing going for Scottish football is that they seem to have hired the right manager in Gordon Strachan. Ok, he's no football revolutionary and he ain't going to get them playing world beating football but he is at least organised and geared towards team mentality giving them some hope that they may get to the play offs at the expense of Ireland and Poland for the Euro's in 2016. Even at that, it's a tough ask.

Overall I couldn't care less though. I am Scottish but I don't give a sh*t whether Scotland qualify or don't qualify for tournaments. It's a toxic wasteland for the sport, the SFA are a disorganised mess and Celtic and Rangers continue to be a massive detriment to the integrity and progress of the sport in the country.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Aug 02, 2014 05:50:36 pm
      It's dire isn't it?! When the Scottish Championship (with Rangers and the newly relegated Edinburgh pair) is more competitive than the SPL then you know times are hard. There is no progression or slither of hope in the Scottish game. The only positive thing going for Scottish football is that they seem to have hired the right manager in Gordon Strachan. Ok, he's no football revolutionary and he ain't going to get them playing world beating football but he is at least organised and geared towards team mentality giving them some hope that they may get to the play offs at the expense of Ireland and Poland for the Euro's in 2016. Even at that, it's a tough ask.

Overall I couldn't care less though. I am Scottish but I don't give a sh*t whether Scotland qualify or don't qualify for tournaments. It's a toxic wasteland for the sport, the SFA are a disorganised mess and Celtic and Rangers continue to be a massive detriment to the integrity and progress of the sport in the country.

It bothers me although I am not Scottish because we have had so many fantastic players from north of the border. I always think a Liverpool team with a Scot in it just feels right.I so wanted Charlie Adam to work but never mind. Funny thing is when you look back 40 years or so Scottish footballers played tiki taka football long before Barca. Bobby Graham and Peter Cormack you couldn't get players with a better touch than them.what went so wrong
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Aug 02, 2014 07:41:30 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they won well at home though. Their away form in Europe has always been a joke, but with that crowd at home they are a different proposition.

It would be a great occasion if we got them in our group ( not to mention 6 easy points for us)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #8: Aug 06, 2014 09:32:28 pm
      Looks like Rangers have knocked Celtic out of the CL.

I guess they don't even get to the Europa League either.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Aug 07, 2014 06:34:33 am
      Looks like Rangers have knocked Celtic out of the CL.

I guess they don't even get to the Europa League either.

:)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Aug 07, 2014 10:54:56 am
      Oh well, Celtic can concentrate on winning the one horse league.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #11: Aug 07, 2014 11:08:45 am

Thinking about putting a few quid on them winning the SPL, like printing money I tell you.

Odds anything between 1/12 to 1/100.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Aug 07, 2014 11:10:28 am

;D Another record for them.   :clap: :clap: :clap:
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #13: Aug 07, 2014 12:59:51 pm

I'm an accountant with no coaching training at all, and I could take the Celtic job part time and still win the league by 20 points.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Aug 08, 2014 10:20:42 am
      They've been put back in the CL after Legia were thrown out, Celtic are a bunch of lucky bas**rds, mind you they still have to get through the last qualifying round.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #15: Aug 08, 2014 10:33:14 am
      Wow, Celtic awarded a 3-0 win which puts them through on away goals over the two legs. Jammy Dodgers all round  ;D
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #16: Aug 08, 2014 11:25:22 am
      Maribor v Celtic
      Salzburg v Malmo
      Aalborg v APOEL
      Steaua Bucharest v Ludogorets
      Slovan Bratislava v BATE Borisov
      Besiktas v Arsenal
      Standard Liege v Zenit
      Copenhagen v Bayer Leverkusen
      Lille v Porto
      Napoli v Athletic Bilbao

Some good games in there. Hopefully Lille get through so Origi can get some more Champions League games.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Aug 08, 2014 01:48:39 pm

Isn't there anther thread for announcing such things?.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #18: Aug 10, 2014 04:27:20 pm
      Champions League: Legia Warsaw ask Celtic for meeting
      Legia Warsaw have issued an open letter to Celtic requesting a "meeting" to decide which side should progress to the Champions League play-off round.

The Polish side beat the Scottish champions 6-1 on aggregate in the third qualifying round.

However, Legia were then punished by Uefa for fielding the ineligible Bartosz Bereszynski in the second leg.

Reinstated Celtic were drawn to face Maribor in the play-off but Legia want another chance to reach that stage.

"Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably," wrote Legia co-owner Dariusz Mioduski in the letter.

Mioduski praised the stature of both clubs and describes Uefa's punishment as "deeply unjust and contrary to the spirit of fair play".

The statement, posted on the Legia Warsaw website, reads: "Celtic FC is a legend in European football - the club with an incredible tradition, which since 1888 co-creates the story of the most beautiful game in the world.

"At the basis of this legend are not only amazing sporting achievements, but also the determination and commitment to values ​​such as honesty and honour."

And, the statement alludes to Celtic's European Cup win in 1967.

"Celtic FC wrote one of the most beautiful pages in the history of European football, when in 1967 they unexpectedly defeated in the final of the Champions Cup mighty Inter Milan headed by Helenio Herrera.

"Imagine that Jock Stein and Billy McNeill were deprived of the greatest triumph in their athletic career by completing the application form wrong.

It continues: "Do not destroy the beautiful clubhouse heritage that you have left in the care of previous generations, 'The Bhoys'. I challenge you, would you in the spirit of the game and fair play, and on the basis of Art. 34 paragraph 5 of the Uefa Disciplinary Regulations of Legia Warsaw took a common position on the Uefa disciplinary bodies. Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably."

Celtic have yet to issue an official response, but BBC Scotland understands that they are unlikely to agree to the request.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28732601

I don't know what Scottish is for F**k Off, but seriously!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Aug 10, 2014 05:18:13 pm
      "Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably," wrote Legia co-owner Dariusz Mioduski in the letter.

contrary to the spirit of fair play".

So fielding an ineligible player isn't against the spirit of fair play?

They've got some brass, they should be told exactly where they can go. They know the rules, they broke them so therefore deserve their punishment.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #20: Aug 10, 2014 05:27:36 pm
      Think its ironic what they're asking for but in no way shape or form to Celtic deserve to be in the next stage, another team should be allowed a chance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Aug 10, 2014 05:31:31 pm
      no way shape or form to Celtic deserve to be in the next stage, another team should be allowed a chance.

Why should it be another team? It was Celtic who were playing against a team with an ineligible player so they have every right to be the ones who benefit from Legia being kicked out regardless of how sh*t they are.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #22: Aug 10, 2014 05:32:55 pm
      Why should it be another team? It was Celtic who were playing against a team with an ineligible player so they have every right to be the ones who benefit from Legia being kicked out regardless of how sh*t they are.

An ineligible player who played no part in differing the outcome of the leg.

Quick Reply