Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Who are the World Class Players in the Premier League?

Read 4906 times
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Who are the World Class Players in the Premier League?
      Jul 18, 2014 06:54:09 pm
      Something I've been thinking a bit about for a few days. 

With Suarez leaving it had me asking myself and a few friends.  Who are the truly World Class players that will ply their
      trade in the Prem this coming season?  I came up with two.  Kompany and Yaya Toure.  Hazard maybe?

I also then began to ask what is actually fair to use the term World Class.  I may be shifting goal posts, but I'd consider it to be a two deep
      at each position.  So lets start out by anyone who wants to, to list two players at each position.  Or just list two players for one position.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: Who are the World Class Players in the Premier League?
      Reply #1: Jul 18, 2014 06:56:49 pm
      Hugo Lloris

Possibly Petr Cech
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #2: Jul 18, 2014 07:02:31 pm

Would you put them ahead of Neuer and Buffon?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3: Jul 18, 2014 07:05:38 pm
      Hazard
      Aguero
      Yaya Toure
      Kompany
      Silva
      Sanchez
      Fabregas
      Aspas

Sturridge will be in there if he has another season of performances like last season. Sterling and Coutinho will be in that category sooner or later. I did consider Van Persie but I couldn't include him after his loss of form last season.

If you include goalkeepers I'd also add

Courtois
      Cech

The definition of a World Class differs too. I think someone who's world class means somebody who can regularly win games for his team single on their own. Whether through defending to save his life, creating that vital goal scoring chance or by scoring.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #4: Jul 18, 2014 07:11:35 pm

The definition of a World Class differs too. I think someone who's world class means somebody who can regularly win games for his team single on their own. Whether through defending to save his life, creating that vital goal scoring chance or by scoring.

This is the part that it gets dicey doesn't it?  I mean I was thinking World Class as being either the best or second best in a position in the world.  I know others look at
      it differently.

By the way, Aspas is a great shout.  Can't believe I forgot to add him to my list.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5: Jul 18, 2014 07:17:13 pm
      Would you put them ahead of Neuer and Buffon?

Those two don't play in the Premier League.

You were asking for World Class players playing in England were you not?
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #6: Jul 18, 2014 07:18:51 pm
      That's just it though isn't it - how do you define 'World Class'? Isn't it just personal perception? We're forever told that Rooney is World Class....like f**k he is. By the same token, I suspect many Mancs will think the same about StevieG.

Anyhow, I'll front these two:-

David Silva
      Cesc Fabregas
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #7: Jul 18, 2014 07:19:36 pm
      Lloris, Courtois, Kompany, Filipe Luis, Yaya Toure, Fabregas, Hazard, Silva, Aguero.

Would put Chelsea Mata in there but he hasn't done enough at United yet for me.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #8: Jul 18, 2014 07:22:16 pm

By the way, Aspas is a great shout.  Can't believe I forgot to add him to my list.

His corners alone make him in a class of his own...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Jul 18, 2014 07:24:36 pm
      Lloris, Courtois, Kompany, Filipe Luis, Yaya Toure, Fabregas, Hazard, Silva, Aguero.

Would put Chelsea Mata in there but he hasn't done enough at United yet for me.

Surely Mata has done more for Chelsea than Filipe Luis has though? If that is the argument you make for not including Mata then Filipe Luis should be nowhere near that list.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #10: Jul 18, 2014 07:27:05 pm
      Surely Mata has done more for Chelsea than Filipe Luis has though? If that is the argument you make for not including Mata then Filipe Luis should be nowhere near that list.

Well Luis was sensational last year but Mata struggled a bit after his move so I didn't put him in. If we're going for players that have done it in the PL already then I agree with you but I was just going for the world class players currently at a PL team.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #11: Jul 18, 2014 07:45:26 pm
      Y'all should be ashamed of yourself for not having Steven Gerrard listed in this thread. Don't care how old he is...like Pirilo he would walk into almost any team in the world.

And that's how I define World Class....a player that could walk into any team in any league in the world.

Sturridge probably qualifies as well on skill, maybe not on notoriety.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #12: Jul 18, 2014 07:48:12 pm
      Y'all should be ashamed of yourself for not having Steven Gerrard listed in this thread. Don't care how old he is...like Pirilo he would walk into almost any team in the world.

And that's how I define World Class....a player that could walk into any team in any league in the world.

Sturridge probably qualifies as well on skill, maybe not on notoriety.

I thought Stevie was a given FL.

Zabaleta is one for me.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #13: Jul 18, 2014 07:48:43 pm
      Those two don't play in the Premier League.

You were asking for World Class players playing in England were you not?

Eh, I was and I wasn't.  I was asking who are world class players.  I was going by a premise of a two deep.  Not players playing in England (unless you think they are among the top two at their position in the world).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #14: Jul 18, 2014 07:51:29 pm
      Eh, I was and I wasn't.  I was asking who are world class players.  I was going by a premise of a two deep.  Not players playing in England (unless you think they are among the top two at their position in the world).

Actually from the thread title you were asking who where world class in the EPL ;D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #15: Jul 18, 2014 07:59:51 pm
      Last season aside (long may it continue), RVP. As much as I hate to admit it.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #16: Jul 18, 2014 08:23:38 pm
      Actually from the thread title you were asking who where world class in the EPL ;D

Exactly.

That's why I said I could only think of two (Kompany and Toure), possibly a third (Hazard).  I don't doubt the quality in the league.  It is the deepest league in the world.  But as far as true world class players (World Class being debatable in how it is perceived ) how many are in the league?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Jul 18, 2014 08:50:48 pm
       Toure, Kompany, Fabregas, Aguero, Silva, Gerrard (was, no sure he is quite that now)

Sterling, Coutinho, Hazard next gen.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #18: Jul 18, 2014 09:28:04 pm
      Toure, Kompany, Fabregas, Aguero, Silva, Gerrard (was, no sure he is quite that now)

Sterling, Coutinho, Hazard next gen.
      I'd give Aguero a "maybe".  Sure on his day his is unstoppable.  Those days seem a but further apart now though.  Silva, close, not quite though.  Fabregas?  Not sure.  He was close to world class a couple of years ago.  May end up there.  See how he gets on at the Chavs.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jul 18, 2014 09:29:04 pm
      I wouldn't say Silva is, he was fantastic at first but he has become very inconsistent IMO.

The only "World Class" players now that Suarez has left, IMO are Kompany and Yaya Toure. Obviously the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Hazard and such like have the potential to be but they certainly aren't yet.

The Premier League is certainly falling behind in terms of "World Class" players now. Spain, Germany and PSG is where they heading now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Jul 18, 2014 10:25:22 pm
      Fabregas?  Not sure.  He was close to world class a couple of years ago.

Fabregas imo wasn't well used at Barca, at Arsenal in his last few seasons he was the best midfield player in the country, yes even better than Stevie. (Of course I will deny this if asked :)

I think Mourinho will again bring the best out of Fab .... still believe we missed out not signing him.

JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #21: Jul 19, 2014 05:59:59 am
      Fabregas imo wasn't well used at Barca, at Arsenal in his last few seasons he was the best midfield player in the country, yes even better than Stevie. (Of course I will deny this if asked :)

I think Mourinho will again bring the best out of Fab .... still believe we missed out not signing him.

I agree with you.  The point during the Euros when Fab played as a false 9 for Spain was a true WTF moment.  Did he even get a look into the Spain side for this past World Cup?  I'm pretty sure he was on the bench but I don't remember him getting any significant time on the pitch (Not that they had much of it). KK brings up a point that had come to my my mind (hence starting this thread), even though I said earlier that I believe the league is the deepest in quality in the world.  I do think it is really lacking in true world class talent playing in it. 

The mere fact that there are no current England players that could be called World Class may go a long way in this discussion.

Love Stevie to bits and 3 or 4 years ago he'd absolutely be in the discussion.  Don't get me wrong.  I want him to carry on as long as he is able.  No longer World Class though IMO.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #22: Jul 19, 2014 07:10:00 am
      "World Class" & "Legends". Two of the most overused terms in football today.

IMO the 2 best players from the EPL's top six:

Arses - Sanchez & Ramsey
      Chavs - Hazard & Fabregas
      Citeh - Kompany & Silva
      LFC - Gerrard & Sterling
      Mancs -Rooney & van Persie
      Spuds - Eriksen & Lloris

Setting aside sentimentality for Gerrard, Kompany is the only player that I would truly deem World Class.

Quick Reply