Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

2014/15: Will Liverpool struggle to meet the dizzying highs of 2013/14?

Read 6003 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Re: 2014/15: Will Liverpool struggle to meet the dizzying highs of 2013/14?
      Reply #23: Jul 21, 2014 01:45:20 pm
      That's more your ignorance. They've signed Debuchy as well as Sanchez who you constantly dismissed would sign for them.

Please show me where I dismissed that Sanchez would sign for them. I've quite honestly forgotten that I've said that but if you can show me where I did....fair enough.

Apologies on Debuchy but why are you banging on about him as if he's a world beater, he was signed from a mid-table club...something you constantly rail on us for doing.

Really think you should check out an Arsenal forum, you seem to have quite the erection for their club.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #24: Jul 21, 2014 01:45:25 pm
      Not at all. I'm just trying to be realistic as much as you feel I am not.

Looking at the squad we have and what other teams have done in the market, I don't see us failing to get at least 10 points every 5 games.  To me, anything less is unwarranted pessimism.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #25: Jul 21, 2014 01:51:10 pm
      Quote from CoutinhoRed
      This. Neither of these four teams have weakened. No key players have left. No half decent players have left.

Then you've got us, who have lost the best striker in the world. We've signed lallana - does he improve first XI? IMO no, as Coutinho is better. We've also signed Markovic - does he improve first XI? No, as Sterling is regarded as of a higher quality. We've also signed Lambert and Can - do they improve first XI? No. We're set to sign Origi and Remy - do they improve first XI? No.

We've lost 1 (One) key player. What is it, a fire sale?

We've also significantly strengthened the squad in all areas of the pitch, and will strengthen further before the transfer window closes.

Brendan got us results in 18 of the last 19 league games last season despite the team's issues, and doesn't lose many games in general. So I expect a season similiar to the one just gone, with better players on board. Bring it on.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #26: Jul 21, 2014 02:48:49 pm
      F**k me, coming second is dizzy heights now is it?

As for can we emulate it, well yes we can but we'll actually better it and win the League this year.

1. The obvious lack of the talent & goals that are Luis Suarez

Others step up to the plate instead. Also our record without Suarez is actually very good.

2. Brutal fixtures to start the campaign off. I know for a fact, I would prefer easy games to start and get up a head of steam as opposed to meeting the champions so early.

You've got to play everybody twice, so it makes no F***ing odds when you play them. Top, middle or bottom (strike it rich reference) of the fixture list makes no difference. Getting them later on the season gives them a chance to build up a head of steam as well does it not? Get them early, beat them early. Happy days.

3. Gelling so many new players into the team in time to hit the ground running.

Lambert and Can probably won't be in the starting XI anyway. It's even touch and go if Lallana and Markovic will be because of the form and quality of Sterling and Coutinho. So the new signings may actually get bedded in. Also, even if they aren't bedded in and are thrown in the deep end then good. If they're that good then they will adjust quickly and get going straight away.

4. The added, but awesome, pressures of champos football and toll it will take on the side.

That's the point of a squad isn't it? Big squad can handle more games. Why they need a F***ing rest is beyond me anyway. Suppose it's far too much to expect super fit human beings with perfect diets and medical teams to play 60 games a season on perfect football pitches, when no tackling is allowed and the travel time is next to nothing now. I mean it's not like players on steak dinner diets, 40 ciggys a day and 20 pints a week were playing 60 games a season on muddy bogs rather than football pitches, getting hacked to F**k by Billy Bremner or Ron Harris after travelling for a couple of days there and back to Norway where their only medical help was a "magic" sponge.

Bunch of F***ing fairies these modern day footballers.

5. Teams strengthening around us. Arsenal, 17 seasons with CL. Chelsea finally getting a striker who can inflict damage. City buying as usual. The scum, hopefully not, rebuilding.

We've strengthened as well.

People think because Suarez has gone we're considerably weaker. If Suarez or Sturridge got injured last year, we had to rely on F***ing Aspas. If Sterling got injured we had to rely on Victor F***ing Moses. If Gerrard got injured we had to rely on Joe F***ing Allen. Now if Sturridge gets injured we're relying on Lambert and hopefully Remy. If Sterling gets injured this year we've got Lallana or Markovic to come in. If Gerrard gets injured we've Can to come in.

Also, why is it a given that Sanchez, Costa and whoever the F**k City have bought are gonna be instant successes but we're worrying about our players gelling? Sanchez could be another Ozil, Costa could be Shevchenko, Crespo, Kezman, Torres, Mutu, Ba etc etc (a big reputation forward who does F**k all of note at Chelsea) and City could of bought another overrated c**t like Barry, Clichy, Dzeka etc etc.

Rather than wanking over their signings and knocking our own, let's actually believe we've got the better deals.

6. Adaptation to new tactics and life without Luis in time for kick off. Hate to think we will turn into a classic no.9 hoof ball team, but the 1st half against Preston reaked of old days with lack of imagination. This is unlikely.

Obviously watched a different game to me because what I saw was us constantly passing the ball. Problem was we constantly passed it in front of Preston until Ibe came on and ran in behind them.

7. Previous new managers settling in period over. Jose & manuel.

And Rodgers has had another year as well. Where's the problem?

8. Expectation. With great achievements and expenditure comes the burden of expectation. Would hate to think Rodgers job is conditional to a PL win 2015, personally would be devastated if he got the boot even if we didn't finish in the top 4. It's such a tall task.

There's always expectation at Liverpool Football Club. Brendan would of known what was expected of him when he took the job. Expectation is nothing new and last year Brendan dealt with it quite well, no reason why he can't do it again.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27: Jul 21, 2014 03:37:23 pm
      F**k me, coming second is dizzy heights now is it?

As for can we emulate it, well yes we can but we'll actually better it and win the League this year.

Others step up to the plate instead. Also our record without Suarez is actually very good.

You've got to play everybody twice, so it makes no f**king odds when you play them. Top, middle or bottom (strike it rich reference) of the fixture list makes no difference. Getting them later on the season gives them a chance to build up a head of steam as well does it not? Get them early, beat them early. Happy days.

Lambert and Can probably won't be in the starting XI anyway. It's even touch and go if Lallana and Markovic will be because of the form and quality of Sterling and Coutinho. So the new signings may actually get bedded in. Also, even if they aren't bedded in and are thrown in the deep end then good. If they're that good then they will adjust quickly and get going straight away.

That's the point of a squad isn't it? Big squad can handle more games. Why they need a f**king rest is beyond me anyway. Suppose it's far too much to expect super fit human beings with perfect diets and medical teams to play 60 games a season on perfect football pitches, when no tackling is allowed and the travel time is next to nothing now. I mean it's not like players on steak dinner diets, 40 ciggys a day and 20 pints a week were playing 60 games a season on muddy bogs rather than football pitches, getting hacked to f**k by Billy Bremner or Ron Harris after travelling for a couple of days there and back to Norway where their only medical help was a "magic" sponge.

Bunch of f**king fairies these modern day footballers.

We've strengthened as well.

People think because Suarez has gone we're considerably weaker. If Suarez or Sturridge got injured last year, we had to rely on f**king Aspas. If Sterling got injured we had to rely on Victor f**king Moses. If Gerrard got injured we had to rely on Joe f**king Allen. Now if Sturridge gets injured we're relying on Lambert and hopefully Remy. If Sterling gets injured this year we've got Lallana or Markovic to come in. If Gerrard gets injured we've Can to come in.

Also, why is it a given that Sanchez, Costa and whoever the f**k City have bought are gonna be instant successes but we're worrying about our players gelling? Sanchez could be another Ozil, Costa could be Shevchenko, Crespo, Kezman, Torres, Mutu, Ba etc etc (a big reputation forward who does f**k all of note at Chelsea) and City could of bought another overrated c**t like Barry, Clichy, Dzeka etc etc.

Rather than wanking over their signings and knocking our own, let's actually believe we've got the better deals.

Obviously watched a different game to me because what I saw was us constantly passing the ball. Problem was we constantly passed it in front of Preston until Ibe came on and ran in behind them.

And Rodgers has had another year as well. Where's the problem?

There's always expectation at Liverpool Football Club. Brendan would of known what was expected of him when he took the job. Expectation is nothing new and last year Brendan dealt with it quite well, no reason why he can't do it again.

All good points, made with some seriously angry attitude. No need to have any more concerns when you put it in such plain simple terms. Here's hoping you're right.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Jul 21, 2014 04:18:01 pm
      You dont win the league with more than 5 (max 6) losses mate. 8 straight up would see us outside the CL positions. If we were to lose those 8 its because of a quality issue that will see us lose more than 8. That said, I cant see us losing those 8games. Away matches maybe.
      We won't lose those 8. Even relegation teams very rarely pick up 0 points from the top teams.

Man United are sh*te, so there's pretty much a guaranteed 6 points. And Suarez failed to score against any of the top 4 last season, so I would personally expect to see an improvement upon 6/18 points picked up with the improvements we've made in other areas of the team.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #29: Jul 21, 2014 04:34:55 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      You've got to play everybody twice, so it makes no F***ing odds when you play them. Top, middle or bottom (strike it rich reference) of the fixture list makes no difference. Getting them later on the season gives them a chance to build up a head of steam as well does it not? Get them early, beat them early. Happy days.

If only it was that simple. Why do you think fixture "run-ins" are posted, predicted, and analysed weeks/months in advance?

Chelsea away is the one I'm worried about, coming near the end of the season where the pressure is really on, it could be scheduled between European games, and/or one mistake could be the difference between a successful season and failure. And Chelsea away in May is not the time or the place where you can afford a mistake. At least if it happens at City, there's 8 days to prepare for it, and 36 games remaining to recover lost ground.

We play everyone twice. But the circumstances and advantages/disadvantages of playing them at certain times of the year as opposed to when others do, can make or break a season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #30: Jul 21, 2014 04:39:12 pm
      We play everyone twice. But the circumstances and advantages/disadvantages of playing them at certain times of the year as opposed to when others do, can make or break a season.

This is actually a fair point which we seen evidence of last season and the one before.

Brendan's first season with that difficult run of fixtures meant we never built up momentum yet last season with an easier start, on paper, we built up a momentum which I thought breed confidence in the players to keep the run going.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #31: Jul 21, 2014 05:03:36 pm
      I think we will not struggle if  sturridge  can deliver the goals like he did  last season ...
      Last season we started the season  without Suarez  and Sturridge did deliver.I think he is the man who  will be the danger man for our opponent's .For me if he fail to deliver   a top four position  might be  hard to get .The fixtures don't bother me very  much
      LFCexiled
      Reply #32: Jul 21, 2014 05:18:11 pm
      All depends if the new squad players bed in sharpish. Individual errors could cost us early season so hopefully they get it all out of their system in preseason.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2764 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Jul 21, 2014 05:22:28 pm
      Firstly excuse the negativity of the topic. I'm hoping people can persuade me that my concerns are unwarranted and their reasons for thinking so.

Q. Can Liverpool really achieve a top 3 slot next season with the following issues;

1. The obvious lack of the talent & goals that are Luis Suarez
      2. Brutal fixtures to start the campaign off. I know for a fact, I would prefer easy games to start and get up a head of steam as opposed to meeting the champions so early.
      3. Gelling so many new players into the team in time to hit the ground running.
      4. The added, but awesome, pressures of champos football and toll it will take on the side.
      5. Teams strengthening around us. Arsenal, 17 seasons with CL. Chelsea finally getting a striker who can inflict damage. City buying as usual. The scum, hopefully not, rebuilding.
      6. Adaptation to new tactics and life without Luis in time for kick off. Hate to think we will turn into a classic no.9 hoof ball team, but the 1st half against Preston reaked of old days with lack of imagination. This is unlikely.
      7. Previous new managers settling in period over. Jose & manuel.
      8. Expectation. With great achievements and expenditure comes the burden of expectation. Would hate to think Rodgers job is conditional to a PL win 2015, personally would be devastated if he got the boot even if we didn't finish in the top 4. It's such a tall task.

All very worrying. I know we defied all the odds last season to just miss out on the title..... Can we do that again? Or better? What would a reasonable target be?

Q. Can Liverpool really achieve a top 3 slot next season with the following issues;

A. YES

1. The obvious lack of the talent & goals that are Luis Suarez : DONT HAVE TO REPLACE HIM LIKE FOR LIKE. TWEAKS CAN BE MADE TO THE TEAM AND HIS GOALS REPLACED FROM ELSEWHERE

2. Brutal fixtures to start the campaign off. I know for a fact, I would prefer easy games to start and get up a head of steam as opposed to meeting the champions so early.: HAVE TO PLAY EVERYONE DOES IT MATTER WHEN? TOUGH START WILL FOCUS THE MIND AND A CRACK AT THE CHAMPIONS SO EARLY MIGHT BE IN OUR FAVOUR

3. Gelling so many new players into the team in time to hit the ground running.: ALWAYS A CONCERN BUT WE HAVE DONE A LOT OF BUSINESS IN PLENTY OF TIME TO ALLOW GELLING. PLUS BRENDANS MAN TO MAN ABILITY WILL MAKE THE TRANSACTION EASIER FOR PLAYERS

4. The added, but awesome, pressures of champos football and toll it will take on the side: ISNT IT WHAT ALLTHESE PLAYERS WANT. IT WILL SPUR THEM ON MORETHEN TIRE THEM.PLUS THE SIGNINGS MADE AND IN THE PROCESS OF BEING MADE MEANS WE WILL HAVE A SQUAD THAT CAN SEE PLAYERS BEING RESTED WHEN NEEDED A LOT MORE FREELY THEN LAST SEASON. WE COULD HAVE A SQUAD OF 25 PLAYERS WHO YOU WOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE STARTING IN THE TEAM

5. Teams strengthening around us. Arsenal, 17 seasons with CL. Chelsea finally getting a striker who can inflict damage. City buying as usual. The scum, hopefully not, rebuilding: NOT OUR CONCERN. WE DO OUR OWN WORK AND MAKE SURE ITS ENOUGH TO GET US ABOVE THESE TEAMS.WE WERE AS GOOD AS CITY ATTACK WISE LAST SEASON IF WE CAN DO THAT AGAIN AND SHORE UP THE BACK WELL GO CLOSE AGAIN.

6. Adaptation to new tactics and life without Luis in time for kick off. Hate to think we will turn into a classic no.9 hoof ball team, but the 1st half against Preston reaked of old days with lack of imagination. This is unlikely: NOT SURE IF THIS A VEILED SWIPE AT SIGNING LAMBERT?

7. Previous new managers settling in period over. Jose & manuel; AGAIN NOT OUR CONCERN. CITY WILL BE THE TEAM TO CATCH BUT I HAVE A FEELING MOURINHO MIGHT FALL FLAT ON HIS FACE THIS SEASON

8. Expectation. With great achievements and expenditure comes the burden of expectation. Would hate to think Rodgers job is conditional to a PL win 2015, personally would be devastated if he got the boot even if we didn't finish in the top 4. It's such a tall task.: LIVERPOOL HAVE EXPECTATIONS EVERY SEASON. THE SQUAD AND THE MANAGER SHOULD BE WELL CAPABLE OF DEALING WITH EXPECTATIONS.IF NOT THEY ARE AT THE WRONG CLUB. AND NO I THINK BR IS SAFE IF THE LEAGUE TROPHY IS MISSED OUT ON

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #34: Jul 21, 2014 06:18:16 pm

It is.

]Why do you think fixture "run-ins" are posted, predicted, and analysed weeks/months in advance?

For the same reason every game is posted, predicted and analysed in advance. People will be looking at our first ten games, then the Christmas/New Year period then the run in. All games are looked at in advance, and usually in a bulk of games. But the only one that matters is the next one.

Chelsea away is the one I'm worried about, coming near the end of the season where the pressure is really on

If you're already worried then that's up to you. Personally, I don't worry about any game other than the next one. I'm not worrying about Southampton at home yet, I'm worrying about our game against Roma on Thursday. The next game is the important one, the next game is the one to worry about. Not one in two weeks, months or years when there could be F**k all riding on it.

it could be scheduled between European games,

And what? That's what we want isn't it? A Premier League game and the backend of the season holding importance as to whether or not we remain top of the League in between two European ties. That for me would be alright, not something to worry about. But why does it matter that it's Chelsea away? Are you saying if it was Leicester at home then that game means less or we can treat it any less? Because we shouldn't be anyway.

Progression deep into the European Cup and a successful League campaign. Sound.

and/or one mistake could be the difference between a successful season and failure.

No it couldn't. One mistake never makes a season a success or failure, the culmination of mistakes do. You may have a "defining" mistake/error such as Stevie's slip against Chelsea but that wasn't what determined the season a failure. You may even have a "defining" win such as beating City at Anfield but that doesn't make the season a success. It is the culmination of those mistakes and victories that decide the season.

And again, I see no reason as to why it matters who we play and where for that "defining" moment. We could play West Brom at the Hawthorns and make the "defining" error or victory, so it is as easy as we play everybody twice. And the position of the fixtures during the season have no baring on anything really.

And Chelsea away in May is not the time or the place where you can afford a mistake.

It is when you've already won the League.

Well actually it isn't but there's no place you can afford a mistake when playing for Liverpool Football Club. Toure's F***ing back pass at the start of February wasn't the place to make a mistake. Or the officials mistakenly ruling Sterling offside against City on Boxing Day wasn't the place for a mistake. Or our inability to beat a ten man Newcastle side in October was not the place to make a mistake.

At the end of the day, mistakes will happen throughout the season against a variety of clubs. It makes no odds when the mistake happens or who the mistake happens against, they all cost you. So again, we have to play everybody twice. Why it matters when we play them, I don't know.

At least if it happens at City, there's 8 days to prepare for it, and 36 games remaining to recover lost ground.

And if City beat us on goal difference despite us winning our remaining 36 games, then will that "mistake" against them be alright? No. It'll still be costly. So it makes no odds when we play a side. We have to play them twice, just get on with it.

People seem to want an easy start to build up momentum and an easy end to motor on home with few problems. You have to play them and it really doesn't matter when you play them.

No it can't.

We have to play everybody twice, everybody else has to play everybody twice. When they play them matters not.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #35: Jul 21, 2014 06:26:42 pm

We have to play everybody twice, everybody else has to play everybody twice. When they play them matters not.

That's your opinion. It actually does matter in my opinion, especially if it's a game against a stronger team coming on the heels of or prior a short week that includes a Champion's League game.

Surely you aren't implying that playing City or Chelsea on 3 or 4 days rest is no different than playing Swansea on 3 or 4 days rest coming off of a Champion's League group or knockout tie?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #36: Jul 21, 2014 06:43:41 pm
      That's your opinion. It actually does matter in my opinion

Well your opinion is wrong then.

That's your opinion. It actually does matter in my opinion, especially if it's a game against a stronger team coming on the heels of or prior a short week that includes a Champion's League game.

Why does it matter?

In your opinion then some games aren't as important as others. We shouldn't be putting our all and full strength into certain games you don't deem as important.

Surely you aren't implying that playing City or Chelsea on 3 or 4 days rest is no different than playing Swansea on 3 or 4 days rest coming off of a Champion's League group or knockout tie?

How is it different?

How come playing Swansea is different to playing City or Chelsea? It's as important, you get as many points for a win and you have the ultimate honour of representing Liverpool Football Club. Where is it different?

Oh because City and Chelsea are considered "big" games yet little old Swansea are just some sh*t Welsh side we shouldn't be worrying about therefore we can "rest" our "important" players. That's how it's different is it?

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Jul 21, 2014 07:06:27 pm

A. YES

1. The obvious lack of the talent & goals that are Luis Suarez : DONT HAVE TO REPLACE HIM LIKE FOR LIKE. TWEAKS CAN BE MADE TO THE TEAM AND HIS GOALS REPLACED FROM ELSEWHERE

2. Brutal fixtures to start the campaign off. I know for a fact, I would prefer easy games to start and get up a head of steam as opposed to meeting the champions so early.: HAVE TO PLAY EVERYONE DOES IT MATTER WHEN? TOUGH START WILL FOCUS THE MIND AND A CRACK AT THE CHAMPIONS SO EARLY MIGHT BE IN OUR FAVOUR

3. Gelling so many new players into the team in time to hit the ground running.: ALWAYS A CONCERN BUT WE HAVE DONE A LOT OF BUSINESS IN PLENTY OF TIME TO ALLOW GELLING. PLUS BRENDANS MAN TO MAN ABILITY WILL MAKE THE TRANSACTION EASIER FOR PLAYERS

4. The added, but awesome, pressures of champos football and toll it will take on the side: ISNT IT WHAT ALLTHESE PLAYERS WANT. IT WILL SPUR THEM ON MORETHEN TIRE THEM.PLUS THE SIGNINGS MADE AND IN THE PROCESS OF BEING MADE MEANS WE WILL HAVE A SQUAD THAT CAN SEE PLAYERS BEING RESTED WHEN NEEDED A LOT MORE FREELY THEN LAST SEASON. WE COULD HAVE A SQUAD OF 25 PLAYERS WHO YOU WOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE STARTING IN THE TEAM

5. Teams strengthening around us. Arsenal, 17 seasons with CL. Chelsea finally getting a striker who can inflict damage. City buying as usual. The scum, hopefully not, rebuilding: NOT OUR CONCERN. WE DO OUR OWN WORK AND MAKE SURE ITS ENOUGH TO GET US ABOVE THESE TEAMS.WE WERE AS GOOD AS CITY ATTACK WISE LAST SEASON IF WE CAN DO THAT AGAIN AND SHORE UP THE BACK WELL GO CLOSE AGAIN.

6. Adaptation to new tactics and life without Luis in time for kick off. Hate to think we will turn into a classic no.9 hoof ball team, but the 1st half against Preston reaked of old days with lack of imagination. This is unlikely: NOT SURE IF THIS A VEILED SWIPE AT SIGNING LAMBERT?

7. Previous new managers settling in period over. Jose & manuel; AGAIN NOT OUR CONCERN. CITY WILL BE THE TEAM TO CATCH BUT I HAVE A FEELING MOURINHO MIGHT FALL FLAT ON HIS FACE THIS SEASON

8. Expectation. With great achievements and expenditure comes the burden of expectation. Would hate to think Rodgers job is conditional to a PL win 2015, personally would be devastated if he got the boot even if we didn't finish in the top 4. It's such a tall task.: LIVERPOOL HAVE EXPECTATIONS EVERY SEASON. THE SQUAD AND THE MANAGER SHOULD BE WELL CAPABLE OF DEALING WITH EXPECTATIONS.IF NOT THEY ARE AT THE WRONG CLUB. AND NO I THINK BR IS SAFE IF THE LEAGUE TROPHY IS MISSED OUT ON

No it wasnt a jab at Lambert. I actually like that signing. It makes sense. Just dont want to see too many games when hes playing up top on his own.

Ofcourse it matters how hard your start is. Ask yourself, what would BR want... an easy start or a tough one? Its called building up a head of steam and gaining confidence. No point in being difficult just for the sake of it.

And "not our concern" is just another stupid obvious statement. The chap beating his misses on the street, is none of my concern but I would still stop and be bothered by it. Such obvious statements are useless in a debate mate.

Liverpool have obvious high expectations YES obviously they do. Was FSG's expectation last season that BR win the league?????????? No it wasnt. Could it be this year? Possibly and that is my concern... if he doesnt deliver then he doesnt meet his targets.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2014 07:21:23 pm
      Oh good, glad you cleared that up in your infinite wisdom.

Why does it matter?

In your opinion then some games aren't as important as others.
      Some games aren't as important as others. If you think that a Champion's League quarter, semi or final game is only as important as one of our run of the mill league games then as you like to say, your opinion is wrong.

We shouldn't be putting our all and full strength into certain games you don't deem as important.
      That's up to the boss, me personally, I would manage the squad strength based on the importance of the game.

How is it different?

How come playing Swansea is different to playing City or Chelsea? It's as important, you get as many points for a win and you have the ultimate honour of representing Liverpool Football Club. Where is it different?
      Are you serious? How is it different? Well it's different because we should be able to beat Swansea more easily than City or Chelsea most years.

Oh because City and Chelsea are considered "big" games yet little old Swansea are just some sh*t Welsh side we shouldn't be worrying about therefore we can "rest" our "important" players. That's how it's different is it?

I would have thought someone as well versed in sport as you obviously are would understand that part of a manager's job is manage the squad with respect to their fitness and form and decide how he wants to play certain sides based on their ability/form.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #39: Jul 21, 2014 07:23:33 pm
      And what? That's what we want isn't it? A Premier League game and the backend of the season holding importance as to whether or not we remain top of the League in between two European ties. That for me would be alright, not something to worry about. But why does it matter that it's Chelsea away? Are you saying if it was Leicester at home then that game means less or we can treat it any less? Because we shouldn't be anyway.

That's not what I said. But I think most fans would prefer Leicester at home in May (who may already be relegated) than having to go to Chelsea in May if a certain result is needed. I think they would also rather go to City with 8 days preparation and a full strength squad, than travelling down to a flying, confident Chelsea in May with 3 or 4 players injured/suspended, off a 3-4 day break, as the chances of getting a result are much better in the former case than the latter.

No it couldn't. One mistake never makes a season a success or failure, the culmination of mistakes do. You may have a "defining" mistake/error such as Stevie's slip against Chelsea but that wasn't what determined the season a failure. You may even have a "defining" win such as beating City at Anfield but that doesn't make the season a success. It is the culmination of those mistakes and victories that decide the season.

It's a fair point, and the season was not a failure. But there are times when mistakes are retrievable, and times when they're not. We saw what happened at Palace. In 2000 the same happened to us at Southampton. Now it would be great if we had 35 games remaining to make up for what happened at Palace like  there was at Southampton, but unfortunately there was only 1, and we couldn't.

When the fixture list came out in 2002, my eyes were instantly drawn to the last game of the season, Chelsea away. Knowing our awful record there at the time (which hasn't improved much since) I feared it would be decisive. 11 months later we went there with 4th place up for grabs, and it was decisive.

You may be worried about Roma this week, but it's frankly a non-event with 9 substitutions made after half time. These games are for trying out formations, fitness, systems, and new players. The result is completely meaningless, so I'm not worrying about it nor taking anything from it, one way or the other.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2764 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Jul 21, 2014 07:24:11 pm
      No it wasnt a jab at Lambert. I actually like that signing. It makes sense. Just dont want to see too many games when hes playing up top on his own.

Ofcourse it matters how hard your start is. Ask yourself, what would BR want... an easy start or a tough one? Its called building up a head of steam and gaining confidence. No point in being difficult just for the sake of it.

And "not our concern" is just another stupid obvious statement. The chap beating his misses on the street, is none of my concern but I would still stop and be bothered by it. Such obvious statements are useless in a debate mate.

Liverpool have obvious high expectations YES obviously they do. Was FSG's expectation last season that BR win the league?????????? No it wasnt. Could it be this year? Possibly and that is my concern... if he doesnt deliver then he doesnt meet his targets.

We have a different opinion that's all mine being I don't care who we play at the start middle or end. We have to play everyone twice no matter what. Chances are the hard start on paper might yield as many or more points then what would be classed as an easy run of games on paper. We could start with the 5 weakest beat them al 5 nil think were flying then play a good side and find out we have a few weaknesses not picked on because we had a handy start

As for "not our concern" well its not. Ive no time for worrying about what others do. Call it a cliché or whatever phrase you like the only thing that matters is having your own house in order and trusting you have done your job to the full. If you do that you have no need to worry about other teams
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #41: Jul 21, 2014 10:13:01 pm
      Oh good, glad you cleared that up in your infinite wisdom.

Any time.

Some games aren't as important as others. If you think that a Champion's League quarter, semi or final game is only as important as one of our run of the mill league games then as you like to say, your opinion is wrong.

No they're all important as each other. Only glory hunting cu*ts feel otherwise. Every game is vitally important for Liverpool Football Club. That's why Liverpool at home to Barcelona or away to Port Vale in the opening round of the League Cup will have sold out their allocation and still had hundreds of thousand more searching for tickets.

You don't get to "important final day games" unless you win "run of the mill League games". They're all as important as each other, with the emphasis being on the next game.

That's up to the boss, me personally, I would manage the squad strength based on the importance of the game.

Well we know you're thinking. Forget the "run of the mill League games" and only care for the glory games.

Are you serious? How is it different? Well it's different because we should be able to beat Swansea more easily than City or Chelsea most years.

More modern day ignorance. Disrespecting the "lesser" teams has been our downfall far too often over the years. It's as important we beat Swansea as it is Chelsea. It's as important we give as much for Swansea as we do Chelsea.

I would have thought someone as well versed in sport as you obviously are would understand that part of a manager's job is manage the squad with respect to their fitness and form and decide how he wants to play certain sides based on their ability/form.

Well somebody as well versed in Liverpool Football Club as I am knows we never worried about the opposition, we let them worry about us. Also being as well versed as I am in Liverpool Football Club knows that players never used to whinge about their "fitness", they just got on with it. It's all these modern day fairies who "need a rest"

That's not what I said. But I think most fans would prefer Leicester at home in May (who may already be relegated) than having to go to Chelsea in May if a certain result is needed. I think they would also rather go to City with 8 days preparation and a full strength squad, than travelling down to a flying, confident Chelsea in May with 3 or 4 players injured/suspended, off a 3-4 day break, as the chances of getting a result are much better in the former case than the latter.

Wasn't that what Chelsea had when they came to Anfield at the end of last season? (I might be wrong, I honestly can't remember but I do recall everyone wanting Chelsea to qualify because it'd meant they had European Cup games either side of us).

At the end of the day, we've got to play Chelsea twice at some point in the season. Now from September through to Christmas we've got Champions League games. Christmas through to New Year we've got countless games all in quick succession. Then from February onwards we're back in Europe. So trying to fit in all our "difficult" games where it doesn't affect our players "fitness" is gonna be hard. This is why, for me, it doesn't matter who we play when. Also, as I keep saying, every game is as important as the one before it and the one after it for me. So Leicester is as important as Chelsea and should be treated as such by club and fans.

It's a fair point, and the season was not a failure. But there are times when mistakes are retrievable, and times when they're not. We saw what happened at Palace. In 2000 the same happened to us at Southampton. Now it would be great if we had 35 games remaining to make up for what happened at Palace like  there was at Southampton, but unfortunately there was only 1, and we couldn't.

When the fixture list came out in 2002, my eyes were instantly drawn to the last game of the season, Chelsea away. Knowing our awful record there at the time (which hasn't improved much since) I feared it would be decisive. 11 months later we went there with 4th place up for grabs, and it was decisive.

You may be worried about Roma this week, but it's frankly a non-event with 9 substitutions made after half time. These games are for trying out formations, fitness, systems, and new players. The result is completely meaningless, so I'm not worrying about it nor taking anything from it, one way or the other.

I don't think the Palace collapse would of happened earlier in the season. We went for more and more goals because of the goal difference, which played a bigger part after the Chelsea result. For me, the only time mistakes are retrievable is during the match. Once that game finishes, it's over. That's why the back pass against West Brom, the decisions against City and the Newcastle result (among others) were all gone once the whistle finished. We missed the chance of picking up three points in those games, we can't get that chance back.

The 2002 season, yes we played Chelsea on the final day. Yes they beat us (Gronkjaer weren't it - cutting in from the left, nestling in the bottom corner). But if our "mistakes" hadn't happened earlier in the season then it wouldn't of really mattered who we played on the final day. If the Chelsea game had been swapped with Villa, then the final day would of still been decisive. It doesn't matter who we play and when. I can see we're clearly not agreeing on this though.

And for me the Roma result does matter. Every Liverpool result matters to me. I've never hidden that, I've been pissed off when we've lost pre-season friendlies. People on here will vouch for that. I want Liverpool to win every game and get hurt when we don't. Even friendlies where there's no points on line, no progression to the next round of the Cup or anything of the like, doesn't matter to me. If it's Liverpool in a match, I want us to win.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #42: Jul 21, 2014 10:44:59 pm
      Here we f***in go again, every f***in pre-season there is a 'how do you think we will do' thread,
      and out come all the f***in neg heads,

FFS, we are a lot stronger than last season, we HAVE strengthened with more to come in, yeah we will miss Luis, what team wouldn't. , but we just need to replace his goals In reality, with our new lads contributing and shoring up our defence we will surpass those. 30+ goals fairly easily,

Every f***in season the neg heads crawl out from under their f***in sh*t pits to inform us all how our signings are inferior to those around us,and how will we ever win this or that without a big signing or two, f***in pisses me off, well thx for the support guys that's proper loyalty for ye,

f***in pathetic !

Just read the posts from Debs. & DLS for examples of how to get behind your team , go on read them posts then ask yourselves are you true LFC supporters,

Somehow I doubt you lot have it in you,

f***in jokers !!!

YNWA

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #43: Jul 21, 2014 10:59:11 pm
      Any time.

No they're all important as each other. Only glory hunting cu*ts feel otherwise.

Oh...you forgot LFC managers...because over the years we haven't always fielded our strongest squads for certain matchups...so I guess you are wrong there. Sorry.

Every game is vitally important for Liverpool Football Club. That's why Liverpool at home to Barcelona or away to Port Vale in the opening round of the League Cup will have sold out their allocation and still had hundreds of thousand more searching for tickets.
      You are defining importance by viewership, but that's not the definition I used, try to keep up. We are talking importance for our team goals, you know, winning cups, wining the league title, etc.....

You don't get to "important final day games" unless you win "run of the mill League games". They're all as important as each other, with the emphasis being on the next game.

Nope, sorry they aren't.

Well we know you're thinking. Forget the "run of the mill League games" and only care for the glory games.

Nope, you don't know what I'm thinking. You think you know and you build your strawman off of that but you are missing the entire point.

More modern day ignorance.
      As opposed to your non-modern day ignorance which is so much better :lmao:
      Disrespecting the "lesser" teams has been our downfall far too often over the years. It's as important we beat Swansea as it is Chelsea. It's as important we give as much for Swansea as we do Chelsea.
      Never said it wasn't. We should have multiple squad/lineup options as such that we can beat anytime we face and be confident in it. Our downfall hasn't been disrespecting lesser teams, it's been giving them too much respect if anything.

Well somebody as well versed in Liverpool Football Club as I am knows we never worried about the opposition, we let them worry about us.
      That's funny, because you just said you worry about the "lesser" teams not even two sentences back. So which is it? You worry about the opposition or you don't.

Also being as well versed as I am in Liverpool Football Club knows that players never used to whinge about their "fitness", they just got on with it. It's all these modern day fairies who "need a rest"
      I don't think any players have had a problem complaining about their fitness, I think the point is that there is physiology to consider and player recovery times is nothing to scoff at and it can and does affect their ability to be at 100% in quick turn around situations. Otherwise all the games would be played back to back and the season would only take about a month and a half.

Go ahead and get the last word in though and try to mix in some jabs, some name calling, some feigned anger and arrogance as well, those seem to be the cornerstones of your "debating" tool box :D

Goodnight Irene.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #44: Jul 22, 2014 12:41:56 am
      Wasn't that what Chelsea had when they came to Anfield at the end of last season? (I might be wrong, I honestly can't remember but I do recall everyone wanting Chelsea to qualify because it'd meant they had European Cup games either side of us).

Chelsea came here with several players out and had to play a weakened team. If they came here in January, chances are those players would have been available. Newcastle came here with nothing to play for and lost. Earlier in the season, they went to the mancs with more at stake and won. So while we have to play everyone twice, the timing of them can be a huge advantage.

I don't think the Palace collapse would of happened earlier in the season. We went for more and more goals because of the goal difference, which played a bigger part after the Chelsea result. For me, the only time mistakes are retrievable is during the match. Once that game finishes, it's over. That's why the back pass against West Brom, the decisions against City and the Newcastle result (among others) were all gone once the whistle finished. We missed the chance of picking up three points in those games, we can't get that chance back.

The slip happened with 3 games to go. If it  happened 3 games in, the damage could have been rectified 10 games later. Mistakes happen at different times of the season, but the later they happen, the more costly they are.

The 2002 season, yes we played Chelsea on the final day. Yes they beat us (Gronkjaer weren't it - cutting in from the left, nestling in the bottom corner). But if our "mistakes" hadn't happened earlier in the season then it wouldn't of really mattered who we played on the final day. If the Chelsea game had been swapped with Villa, then the final day would of still been decisive.

It doesn't really matter tbh. Fact was, Chelsea had the advantage of playing a direct rival at home on the last day of the season when they needed a result, and they took it.

It's a bit like a choice between playing at home to Rochdale in the cup or having to go to a Top 4 side instead. You can't say it's all the same, you want the easiest draw you can get. Or most people do anyway.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #45: Jul 22, 2014 12:42:35 am
      Oh...you forgot LFC managers...because over the years we haven't always fielded our strongest squads for certain matchups...so I guess you are wrong there. Sorry.

And we've won how many League titles in that time? That's right lad, none. Maybe if they did field their strongest 11, they'd actually win the title now and then. You know like we did in the 60s, 70s and 80s? You know when we had proper Liverpool men in charge of Liverpool Football Club. So actually I'm not wrong.

I'm in fact right (as usual) that only glory hunting cu*ts feel some games aren't important.

You are defining importance by viewership, but that's not the definition I used, try to keep up. We are talking importance for our team goals, you know, winning cups, wining the league title, etc.....

And how do you win Cups and Leagues if you only bother turning up for "big" games? You soft c**t, you need to turn up for the "lesser" games in order for the "big" games to even arrive. If we don't get out the group of the European Cup, we don't make the final to win anything. If we don't beat enough of the "lesser" games then we don't win the League. So dickhead, it's quite obvious that all games are as important.

You keep telling yourself that. I expect it from glory hunters so it's not surprising.

Nope, you don't know what I'm thinking. You think you know and you build your strawman off of that but you are missing the entire point.

Actually I do know. And what point am I missing? I'm missing the point that you think some games aren't important. Alright lad, I've obviously missed that haven't I?

As opposed to your non-modern day ignorance which is so much better :lmao:

Yes it is. Football was better "in the good ol' days". The quicker those days return the better the sport would be.

Never said it wasn't. We should have multiple squad/lineup options as such that we can beat anytime we face and be confident in it. Our downfall hasn't been disrespecting lesser teams, it's been giving them too much respect if anything.

Who have we shown too much respect to? You're already stated that some managers "haven't always fielded our strongest squad" for certain matches. At least stay consistent.

That's funny, because you just said you worry about the "lesser" teams not even two sentences back. So which is it? You worry about the opposition or you don't.

Where lad?

The two sentences before were;

"Disrespecting the "lesser" teams has been our downfall far too often over the years. It's as important we beat Swansea as it is Chelsea. It's as important we give as much for Swansea as we do Chelsea."

If you mean the post a few above yours where it says " I'm worrying about our game against Roma on Thursday" (bit more than two sentences but there you go) that isn't worrying about the opposition. I don't really care how Roma set up or who they play. That is worrying about that game because I want Liverpool to win. Worry, thinking about, concerned with whatever you want to call it. Worry about the opposition though? Nah you're alright. So don't lie alright?

I don't think any players have had a problem complaining about their fitness, I think the point is that there is physiology to consider and player recovery times is nothing to scoff at and it can and does affect their ability to be at 100% in quick turn around situations. Otherwise all the games would be played back to back and the season would only take about a month and a half.

In days gone by games would actually be played back to back.

25.12.26 Liverpool play Burnley (away)
      27.12.26 Liverpool play Burnley (home)
      28.12.26 Liverpool play Bolton (home)

3 games in 4 days. 9 of the players in all 3 games.

Nowadays, modern day fairies need a "rest" after playing one game.

Bollocks!

Go ahead and get the last word in though and try to mix in some jabs, some name calling, some feigned anger and arrogance as well, those seem to be the cornerstones of your "debating" tool box :D

If you stopped arguing a point you can't win and making stuff up, the last word would of been done already. You keep dragging it up when you're wrong. As for the jabs, insults, anger and arrogance - well that shows my lack of respect for your opinion. As I said on here the other day, somebody who's opinion I respect, I will show in my responses. A glory hunters opinion however is not one I hold in high regard.

If you took the care to read, it says now to be known as Kate.

Ta ra dickhead.

Quick Reply