Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Can anyone suggest brilliant PC games, not relying on high end PC's?

Read 3727 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Can anyone suggest brilliant PC games, not relying on high end PC's?
      Jul 20, 2014 11:30:57 pm
      My computer is quite fast, only game that seemed to run wrong was Borderlands 2.
      Any suggestions please ppl?
      Playable games, any genre.
      I'll add:
      New Vagas, Fallout 2.
      Skyrim, fifa 14, rayman legends all run ok.
      Any new games to look at on the PC?
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2014 03:26:10 am by fishpie »
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Can anyone suggest brilliant PC games, not relying on high end PC's?
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2014 06:41:39 pm
      If you're running Skyrim ok your PC can't be that bad!
      I've just taken these off my list of Steam games, so there may be better games or ones you'd like more, but these are ones I've played and enjoy.

RPG: The Witcher 2 (RPG with a lot of depth to the gameplay, story and world. Not finished it, but it features multiple storyline paths you can actively choose, as well as smaller choices throughout the game. The combat is fun and fluid, and the storyline is very good. You don't have to have played the first game either, though it helps with the lore.
      Action: Batman Arkham City (or the previous one, Arkham Asylum). I've just installed Arkham City, but I can tell you Arkham Asylum is a really fun action game. The combat is fun and looks great, but isn't too hard. Gameplay all round very good and the story, for a Batman game, isn't bad at all. Everything I've heard about Arkham City makes it sound like an improvement on the first.
      Strategy: The Total War series (I'd recommend any of these, Medieval 2: Kingdoms has a fantastic selection of mods, and Shogun 2 is very good. The latest, Rome 2, has very mixed reviews and I've yet to play it. These are amongst my favourite ever games!)
      FPS: Metro Last Light (Really atmospheric shooter, the gameplay is good and the story is surprising strong for an FPS.)
      Open world: State of Decay (this one is something I picked up in the last Steam sale and I love it. Open world zombie survival sim, where you gather survivors, pick a base, scavenge for supplies and try to survive. Barely played in the story in it because the other aspects are so fun)
      City builder: Tropico 4 or 5. Fun game where you are put in the role of an island dictator, building a city, town or whatever. Lot of fun to play an evil oppressive dictator who doesn't allow elections and "makes people disappear" with your secret police. Lot of depth and humour to it. Haven't played 5 but I'm sure it's good.

Finally, a left field one that you may love or may hate, FTL - Faster than Light, it's a game that doesn't look like much, you pick a ship, outfit it as you go along and explore a galaxy, in a 2D-ish map. You aren't playing this for graphics though, it's gameplay is really fun and the thing that engrosses you most is the fact that if you get blown up, it's gameover for that ship and you have to start again. Makes everything that bit more exciting!

That may be enough to investigate for you now, if I think of any favourites of mine I'll post them.

As ever, make sure that your computer has at least the minimum system requirements!

Bier
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2014 07:03:44 pm
      Well, since you said any genre.. for the last 8 months I've been quite addicted to Blizzard's free to play online card game called Hearthstone.

Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft Trailer
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Jul 23, 2014 08:04:33 pm
      The Witcher 2
      Batman Arkham City
      The Total War series
      Metro Last Light
      State of Decay

Recently picked all of them up in the steam sales but have yet to play any of them, I can't get my ass off ARMA II and Counter-Strike: GO. :laugh:

I did have a quick go on Metro Last Light's prequel (Metro 2033) and if it's anywhere near as good as that I'd highly recommend it too.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: Oct 28, 2014 09:00:26 pm
      Figured this would be about the best thread for this.

Anyone ever played Bioshock Infinite and if so is it worth getting? Tempted to get it while it's 75% off.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5: Oct 29, 2014 01:12:29 am

Anyone ever played Bioshock Infinite and if so is it worth getting? Tempted to get it while it's 75% off.
      Its amazing. If you haven't played it yet its worth every penny and more of what its selling for now on Steam.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Oct 29, 2014 12:01:58 pm
      For that price, it's definitely worth playing.

It's not as atmospheric as Bioshock 1&2, the sky city just doesn't feel as cool as Rapture, but the gameplay mechanics are pretty fun and the storyline is interesting.

For me, one of the best things about the game was discussing its storyline and themes with a mate after we'd both finished it.

Well worth getting for a fiver mate. Enjoy!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Nov 21, 2014 09:13:23 am

If you're running Skyrim ok your PC can't be that bad!
      I've just taken these off my list of Steam games, so there may be better games or ones you'd like more, but these are ones I've played and enjoy.

RPG: The Witcher 2 (RPG with a lot of depth to the gameplay, story and world. Not finished it, but it features multiple storyline paths you can actively choose, as well as smaller choices throughout the game. The combat is fun and fluid, and the storyline is very good. You don't have to have played the first game either, though it helps with the lore.
      Action: Batman Arkham City (or the previous one, Arkham Asylum). I've just installed Arkham City, but I can tell you Arkham Asylum is a really fun action game. The combat is fun and looks great, but isn't too hard. Gameplay all round very good and the story, for a Batman game, isn't bad at all. Everything I've heard about Arkham City makes it sound like an improvement on the first.
      Strategy: The Total War series (I'd recommend any of these, Medieval 2: Kingdoms has a fantastic selection of mods, and Shogun 2 is very good. The latest, Rome 2, has very mixed reviews and I've yet to play it. These are amongst my favourite ever games!)
      FPS: Metro Last Light (Really atmospheric shooter, the gameplay is good and the story is surprising strong for an FPS.)
      Open world: State of Decay (this one is something I picked up in the last Steam sale and I love it. Open world zombie survival sim, where you gather survivors, pick a base, scavenge for supplies and try to survive. Barely played in the story in it because the other aspects are so fun)
      City builder: Tropico 4 or 5. Fun game where you are put in the role of an island dictator, building a city, town or whatever. Lot of fun to play an evil oppressive dictator who doesn't allow elections and "makes people disappear" with your secret police. Lot of depth and humour to it. Haven't played 5 but I'm sure it's good.

Finally, a left field one that you may love or may hate, FTL - Faster than Light, it's a game that doesn't look like much, you pick a ship, outfit it as you go along and explore a galaxy, in a 2D-ish map. You aren't playing this for graphics though, it's gameplay is really fun and the thing that engrosses you most is the fact that if you get blown up, it's gameover for that ship and you have to start again. Makes everything that bit more exciting!

That may be enough to investigate for you now, if I think of any favourites of mine I'll post them.

As ever, make sure that your computer has at least the minimum system requirements!

artaylor , thanks so much for that in depth answer, I feel really bad because I've only just saw it now, I forgot I asked the question, totally slipped my mind.

The Witcher, Metro and Batman were ones in my head I was dying to check out

The Total War series, State of Decay and Tropico I'm not familiar with, I'll watch some youtubes about them though!

FTL - Faster than Light, I thought I recognised the name and pictured like a blueprint or overhead plan of a ship, for some reason that intrigued me when I saw it awhile ago, supposed to be a cool game I believe.

I'm going to be buying a gtx760 this week so I'll be able to enjoy a more nicely decorated version of games I could only push so far with my integrated chip and then my graphics card I got temporarily. I can still play Tomb raider using the 3d on limited settings so I've still had fun.

I'll mod the hell out of every game I can, that's half the fun for me, Skyrim will be revisited.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: Nov 21, 2014 09:17:37 am

Totally enjoyed that game, haven't finished it, I couldn't put it down when I was playing it though.
      Want to finish it with smoother graphics when I get a gpu.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Nov 21, 2014 09:25:03 am

Well, since you said any genre.. for the last 8 months I've been quite addicted to Blizzard's free to play online card game called Hearthstone.

Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft Trailer

Looks complicated, a steep learning curve type situation, I'm having a look at the Hearthstone 2014 world championship on youtube now, must be the next big thing or something, I've never been into card skill games, suppose it's like Pokemon in a way, enjoyed that years ago.
      They have 3 proper commentators/pundits on this world champioship bloody heck, I wasn't expecting that.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #10: Nov 22, 2014 11:13:49 am
      football manager
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Nov 22, 2014 11:40:13 am

artaylor , thanks so much for that in depth answer, I feel really bad because I've only just saw it now, I forgot I asked the question, totally slipped my mind.

The Witcher, Metro and Batman were ones in my head I was dying to check out

The Total War series, State of Decay and Tropico I'm not familiar with, I'll watch some youtubes about them though!

Don't feel bad buddy, it's nothing! Enjoy your gaming :)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #12: Nov 22, 2014 11:42:33 am

Just not this years one.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #13: Dec 05, 2014 01:05:12 am
      I ended up buying an msi gtx 760 for £130, on Amazon it came early even though it wasn't supposed to be in stock and the real price 12 hours later is £149.
      Best price with free delivery on the whole of the internets.
      I can play Crysis 3 maxed out without problems but I adjusted it to not be greedy and burn out my computer.
      Crysis 3 is the most amazing game I've ever seen.

Quick Reply