Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Daniel Agger Says He Might Have To Consider Future

Read 4951 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,954 posts | 8458 
      Daniel Agger Says He Might Have To Consider Future
      Jul 21, 2014 01:08:41 pm
      Daniel Agger admits he could consider his future after "unacceptable" campaign last year

The Danish defender's future has been subject to speculation as the Reds pursue Dejan Lovren

Daniel Agger has warned he will consider his future at Liverpool FC if he is to spend another year watching from the bench.

The 29-year-old labelled last season “unacceptable” and says he will consider his options should his first-team prospects not improve this term.

The Danish defender’s future has been subject to speculation as Liverpool edge closer to a deal to sign Southampton’s Dejan Lovren and he made just 20 Premier League appearances last season as Brendan Rodgers often opted for the partnership of Mamadou Sakho and Martin Skrtel.

Agger reportedly told a Danish newspaper: “It is no secret that I had problems last season and I am considering things.

“How things turned out last season is not acceptable for me.

“I am here now and it is up to me to show the coach that I should play.”

Agger returned to his homeland last week as the Reds met Brondby in the club’s first pre-season friendly and he isn’t ruling out a return to the team he left in January 2005.

He said: “Many things can happen in football and I do not want to exclude anything.”

Agger joined Liverpool’s 33-man squad on the plane to the USA on Sunday.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/daniel-agger-admits-could-consider-7465881#.U8z_uUkPJYA.twitter
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Re: Daniel Agger Says He Might Have To Consider Future
      Reply #1: Jul 21, 2014 01:09:48 pm
      Not surprised one bit.

I still think there is a fair chance Danny will be off before the summer is out.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Jul 21, 2014 01:16:30 pm
      bloody shame he should fit Brendan's style perfectly.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Jul 21, 2014 01:21:06 pm
      Is my memory playing up, or does he come out with something similar every year?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Jul 21, 2014 01:24:30 pm
      Is my memory playing up, or does he come out with something similar every year?

Yeah, I thought that.

Doesn't help either that he's made of glass.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2014 01:32:15 pm
      He should care about the team. Play his part on the bench and if he is good enough, he will start. But does he feel that he's wrongly been selected to sit out on the bench? I thought he was better than Sakho, so his frustrations are understood.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2014 02:18:02 pm
      It's tough because we'd all love four top centre backs but it's so hard to actually juggle that. Ideally you wouldn't want to chop and change your best XI throughout a season, the best teams are usually the most consistent and usually have a consistent back five, even back six considering the CDM. Most important of all though is the centre half pairing which clubs fighting for the title want to keep as consistent and senior as possible, and I believe that senior part is very important. You almost always see a player with experience given the go ahead over a young centre half, one example I'd make is bringing Kolo Toure in as a fourth option instead of using Kelly or Wisdom or something, and with the teams Rodgers puts put out in all competitions you can see he prefers to have as good centre back pairing as he can afford, whilst giving opportunities to youngsters in the full back positions. He even preferred to have Steven Gerrard at CDM when Lucas went out, instead of playing Allen or Henderson there, because again that is a vital position where experience probably beats inexperience most times.

Basically if we bring Lovren in, Agger probably becomes fourth choice. Now in the situation of Kolo Toure, he would be OK with fourth choice because of his age and his body, but a guy like Agger would not hang around for that, which he has said recently. Which is interesting because you would think Agger would stay and fight no matter the circumstances, I mean, we're finally back in the Champions League, you're probably going to start games in that comp, Danny, wouldn't you want to stick it out? We saw how many minutes Kolo ended up getting last season - too many in some fans eyes - we all know Sakho is a beast and could well play every minute of the season along with Skrtel, but we also know teams like Arsenal and Manchester City just to name some in our own country got found out in the Champions League because they were playing the same centre halves in all competitions - relying on Mertesacker, Koscienly game after game wore thin as would depending on Sakho and Skrtel. We need Agger and Lovren, I think the boss would think that, I just hope Agger wants to stick around for that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2014 02:28:53 pm
      Sad to think of him leaving. Not sure this is the right way either...airing your laundry in public. I think we really need to hang on to Danny and Skrtel both for next season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2014 02:34:32 pm
      I love Daniel Agger. But the solution here is simple: Play better than Mamadou Sakho and you won't lose your place.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2014 02:38:18 pm
      I love Daniel Agger. But the solution here is simple: Play better than Mamadou Sakho and you won't lose your place.

That's it.

Even better is if he gets into the side for the first game and plays well Brendan has proven he doesn't like to change the back four too much.

He only seemed to change the two centre backs lat season when one got injured from what I can remember.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2014 02:46:35 pm

Word.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2014 03:17:28 pm
      TBH a decent offer and I'd let him go. For too long his defending has been ultra suspect, and I'd bring Ilori in as our fourth choice if it was me. Decent offer? 5-7 mill would do it for me.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Jul 21, 2014 03:22:25 pm
      I certainly believe we can do better than Agger.... just not so sure we have better than him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #13: Jul 21, 2014 03:33:01 pm
      I certainly believe we can do better than Agger.... just not so sure we have better than him.

our CBs were suspect all last season and I agree Agger was no worse than any of the others keep him and play him with a decent other CB
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #14: Jul 21, 2014 03:37:52 pm

The only reason Agger lost his place last season was down to injury, and then Sakho was part of a winning team so it remained unchanged.  The funny thing is that Agger made 20 starts last season, while Sakho only made 18.  We will have more games this season and there will be more opportunities for all 4 CB's (Skrtel, Sakho, Agger, & Lovren) to play.  I personally believe that all 4 will remain this season, but I could be wrong.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #15: Jul 21, 2014 03:41:15 pm
      Premiership appearances last season;

Skrtel 36
      Agger 20
      Toure 20
      Sakho 18

Sorry Danny lad but if you're not happy playing the second most amount of games of our centre halves then there's the door.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #16: Jul 21, 2014 03:43:39 pm
      I can understand his frustration. He's our best defender and vice-captain, and as such should be an automatic starter when fit.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17: Jul 21, 2014 03:45:23 pm
      I can understand his frustration. He's our best defender and vice-captain, and as such should be an automatic starter when fit.

Wasn't he a mostly automatic starter when he was fit?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Jul 21, 2014 03:54:22 pm
      He is always picking up injuries thsi is the real problem.

If I was him Id stick around for at least 1 more season, try and stay fit and get in the team.

Toure will be off for sure, lovren will come in and we have bit coates back as well, so yes there is competition, but thats good.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Jul 21, 2014 04:24:10 pm
      Wasn't he a mostly automatic starter when he was fit?
      He was, but I'd estimate he was on the bench for about 6-10 games maybe, including both our home games against the oil clubs during the run-in. As Liverpool vice-captain, an experienced defender in his prime who's been at the club since 2006 and someone who's used to being a regular starter for us, I can see why he'd find that incredibly frustrating. Not saying that I agree with him going to the Danish papers to moan about it though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #20: Jul 21, 2014 04:48:33 pm
      He was, but I'd estimate he was on the bench for about 6-10 games maybe, including both our home games against the oil clubs during the run-in. As Liverpool vice-captain, an experienced defender in his prime who's been at the club since 2006 and someone who's used to being a regular starter for us, I can see why he'd find that incredibly frustrating. Not saying that I agree with him going to the Danish papers to moan about it though.

But he only lost his place due to injury.

He should be more frustrated with himself than anyone else.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Jul 21, 2014 04:53:56 pm
      Does Daniel appear to say one thing to Danish/European media and another to the local/UK press? Didn't he just come out the other day saying his house wasn't for sale and that the reports of him selling some businesses were right but he had sold them years ago, in other words he was staying in Liverpool!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #22: Jul 21, 2014 06:53:30 pm
      Does Daniel appear to say one thing to Danish/European media and another to the local/UK press? Didn't he just come out the other day saying his house wasn't for sale and that the reports of him selling some businesses were right but he had sold them years ago, in other words he was staying in Liverpool!

He did mate.  I don't personally buy into the idea that Agger is looking to leave.  I'm sure that BR has told him that he is going to pick his teams based on recent form and the attitude shown on the training ground.  It will be up to Danny to make sure his name is on the team sheet, and I've never known him to shy away from a challenge!!  Plus, he loves the club.... he has YNWA tatted on his knuckles for fucks sake!!

Quick Reply