Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Liverpool F.C. 0:1 A.S.Roma, Pre-In Game-Post Game Thread.

Read 13557 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Re: Liverpool F.C. 0:1 A.S.Roma, Pre-In Game-Post Game Thread.
      Reply #138: Jul 24, 2014 12:57:57 pm
      Christ! Saunders making Lawro sound like Brian Blessed and Alan Shearer as complex as Einstein. Some of the comments he's made have been mind boggling. 'He's not as good as Coutinho.' 'He'll be on at left back.' 'He's not made any mistakes.'

I'm half expecting him to tell us that the ball is round.

Or another story to rival the one about how he ordered steak before one pre-season game at Liverpool because he didn't like the look of the chicken and then he got told off by Souness for it because he wasn't allowed the steak and then he always made sure he was on the right side of Souness after that.....

Great anecdote that one.

Weren't listening that well! It was Ronnie Moran!! ;)

Agree though Deano is one boring b***ard and loves his fellow Welshmen, all to a man must of spent some time at Wrexham when he was manager/coach and they are all lovely lads.

Best one was when he was talking about being stopped by someone at Chester golf course last saturday to tell him Preston were beating Liverpool, which is a bit wierd as he was co-commentating on the game for BT Sport

Makes Michael Owen sound interesting!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #139: Jul 24, 2014 01:25:51 pm
      I actually enjoyed the game, was great to see us in control. Coutinho playing deeper, collecting the ball and taking command was great to watch, would love to see him do this more often If Gerrard is getting closed down quick or man marked.

What really impressed me mostly was our pressing and ball retention. With Lucas and Coutinho being the protagonists of our passing game, and having our energetic Can and Allen pressing, there really was a good balance in the middle in where we had control for the majority of the game.

I didn't mind the lack of creativity and movement up front, we were missing, Gerrard, Sterling, Sturridge, Markovic, Lallana and Remy. As soon as they come in, I'm sure our attack will be more potent :)

One final note, If we don't sign a left back, with Enrique as our main left back,  I think I would be happy with Robinson as our backup.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #140: Jul 24, 2014 03:23:49 pm
      If this is what we're going to see from Skrtel next season. We better get a new CB or expect to have a short run in Europe. Even though tge own goal was scored by Agger,  Skrtel didn't clear his line.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #141: Jul 24, 2014 03:31:52 pm
      Saw you at Preston game but couldn't get over to say hello.

Hope you have a great Birthday and the Red men have a good game!

I'll have to find highlights tomorrow morning - I'm up at 5 :-(

Aww sorry I missed you hun.... shame we didnt get at least a draw last night....gutted for the lads xx
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #142: Jul 24, 2014 07:31:28 pm
      Weren't listening that well! It was Ronnie Moran!! ;)

Agree though Deano is one boring b***ard and loves his fellow Welshmen, all to a man must of spent some time at Wrexham when he was manager/coach and they are all lovely lads.

Best one was when he was talking about being stopped by someone at Chester golf course last saturday to tell him Preston were beating Liverpool, which is a bit wierd as he was co-commentating on the game for BT Sport

Makes Michael Owen sound interesting!

Trying to recollect that anecdote in the middle of the night 4 days later is one hell of an effort as I'm sure you'd understand. Still....DREADFUL stuff.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #143: Jul 24, 2014 07:48:31 pm
      l dont really care about results, in preseason games most important thing is no players get injury before start of season, no points for these games,
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #144: Jul 24, 2014 07:53:23 pm
      How to sum up Skrtel? 10 great interceptions (header or tackle) and then one massive F**k up - it's a sure thing every single match. If he'd cut out such stupid mistakes and communicated better with the team, he'd be brilliant.

He has the ability, but he sure as F**k doesn't have the brain.

Also, the other thing that grinds my gears about him is his inability to be a ball playing centre back. I'm a big fan of passing the ball out of defence. Sure it results in F**k ups at time to time, but as the years go by and it becomes ingrained in the clubs tactics, we will improve, and we have improved massively in this department since Rodgers took over. We've created much more goals by playing from back rather than lumping it out.

So the one aspect that pisses me off is Skrtel - as he point blank refuses to pass forward, always going for the safe option of passing back to the keeper. I could forgive him if this was 2012, but two years down the line I would expect to see much more progress from him.

Winners take risks, and if our centre backs are just going to take no responsibility and pass back to the keeper rather than progressing into midfield, then Skrtel might as well call himself English. The lack of risk taking - it's an inherent problem in English football and Skrtel almost resembles the archetypal English defender in all aspects of his game. There's a massive physique and presence in the defence and for the casual observer he looks amazing when he leaps beyond all players and heads the ball into midfield, or a last ditch sliding tackle which is one for the cameras. Like many English defenders, he does this brilliantly. But once the team are exposed to opposition pressure, he often loses his head, making bizaare mistakes and communication between players is non-existent at a time when the team desperately needs it. The rational and intelligence for such a situation is absent and therefore, yet again, is much like the traditional English defender.

At a time when Liverpool needs leaders in the defence, he is probably the only one we've got as he is one of our most experienced - I can't expect Sakho to lead yet. Which is why getting Lovren seems a good idea. He delegates to defenders, shouts at them and overall communicates much with his players, but importantly plays the 'Liverpool' way by bringing the ball out of defence creating so much space rather than passing back to the keeper (just like what Alan Hansen did). He seems comfortable playing under pressure, and considering such rationality is essential for the defence to succeed in defence and attack, I think he would do well here. I realise the jump from Southampton to Liverpool is a big one, and that he has only had one season in the sun in England, so I can't be too sure, but it hopefully seems like a safe bet to go for Lovren. He's a risk taker, and I like that, because English style complacent defenders are not capable leaders of getting us to the top with the current system of play here.
      kmbgolf
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #145: Jul 24, 2014 07:58:29 pm
      Was at Fenway.Coutinho was the only guy for me that looked really good.Fenway is always electric for the Red Sox but this was a depressing display.Good oppurtunity to gain worldwide fans was wasted I will post some pics in pic thread if anyone wants to see them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #146: Jul 24, 2014 08:59:33 pm
      Trying to recollect that anecdote in the middle of the night 4 days later is one hell of an effort as I'm sure you'd understand. Still....DREADFUL stuff.

Everything he says is just so inane, probably a really nice fella and you can tell he loves the club.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #147: Jul 24, 2014 10:24:43 pm
      As I already knew the score, thought I'd watch it when I got home but in fast forward mode. So I did and from what I saw it was pretty dire but whenever Couts got the ball, you felt something good was going to happen. Also impressed with Can. Think he's going to be a beast for us. Had somepace about him and he's built like a brick sh*t house. Going to look forward to seeing him light up the Premiership this season.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #148: Jul 24, 2014 10:46:31 pm
      As I already knew the score, thought I'd watch it when I got home but in fast forward mode. So I did and from what I saw it was pretty dire but whenever Couts got the ball, you felt something good was going to happen. Also impressed with Can. Think he's going to be a beast for us. Had somepace about him and he's built like a brick sh*t house. Going to look forward to seeing him light up the Premiership this season.

He doesn't look fast but he covers a lot of ground very quickly - must take big strides!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #149: Jul 24, 2014 10:51:41 pm
      He doesn't look fast but he covers a lot of ground very quickly - must take big strides!

I said I watched the game in fast forward mode.  :D
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #150: Jul 24, 2014 11:28:03 pm
      What's the point of going to the US for a commercial tour and then turning out a match like that? Bet they really sold the club :D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #151: Jul 25, 2014 10:00:34 am
      because the fitness of our youngsters and the gelling of our team is still more important then the yanks being entertained.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #152: Jul 25, 2014 03:25:16 pm
      because the fitness of our youngsters and the gelling of our team is still more important then the yanks being entertained.

That's all we are to you? :'(

Only kidding. I agree with you of course though that's the most important part of the preseason tour. It's just unfortunate because for many of us it's the first time we'll have the opportunity to see the Reds in action or at the very least it's a rare opportunity to see them at all.

And I've been a die-hard fan like anyone else out there in or out of England for about a decade now watching every single game on tv waking up at 7 AM many weekends (completely hungover for many of them mind you) and now I get my dream to see them in person, just to see... youngsters and reserves?

It's significantly more than "entertainment" to me and I would love to see the players who have been my heroes out there, but I do understand that what's best for the team is to rest the best for now and I suppose I'll just have to make my way to Anfield in a few years when I've got the money to do so.

For now, I'll be seeing the Reds live for the first time in my life next Wednesday at Yankee Stadium with some of my family and friends and I could not be any more excited.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #153: Jul 25, 2014 10:33:30 pm
      Finally caught up with the Roma game this evening having fallen asleep at my first attempt to watch it last night! Wasn't the best was it! Very I pressed with Emre Can who. Looks to be a little bit more than the defensive midfielder he was supposed to be, and was also impressed with the touch and class of Coutinho. If him and Raheem can raise their game another 5-10% we could be in great shape as an attacking side despite the massive loss of Luis.

Aside from those two there wasn't a great deal that stood out for me. What was clear is that if Rickie is in the side the 2 wide players (or the number 10) need to get in closer contact with him, he doesn't have the mobility (and game) to get about the pitch like Luis or Studge did last season so e other lads will need to adapt the way they play when he is in the side.

Quick Reply