Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Do Liverpool FC really need a Marquee signing?

Read 13224 times
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Re: Do Liverpool FC really need a Marquee signing?
      Reply #46: Jul 28, 2014 03:21:16 pm
      A better version of Remy would be fantastic. We need him more than Moreno and unless we trim the squad massively we may not have the funds. I suspect Loaning Lucas is better than selling as we ll need an understaudy for Can if Gerrard retires next year but other than that Reina (big wages for an understudy), Coates (not mobile enough), Agger (past his best), Borini (somewhat toothless at this level), and Assaidi (blind alleys) will hopefully be moved on and that 30-40 million could make all the difference...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #47: Jul 28, 2014 04:10:42 pm
      and unless we trim the squad massively we may not have the funds.
      We have (just about) spent the Suarez £75m mate and haven't even touched the additional £43m bt TV money, the additional £30m+ CL money, our usual £30m kitty or any additional sponsorship money.

We should be fine without having to "trim the squad massively" to be honest.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: Jul 28, 2014 04:20:57 pm

Having a proper squad would be a nice change.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #49: Jul 28, 2014 04:22:01 pm
      We have (just about) spent the Suarez £75m mate and haven't even touched the additional £43m bt TV money, the additional £30m+ CL money, our usual £30m kitty or any additional sponsorship money.

Another £100m to spend? ;D

Obviously it does not work that way, as our wage bill will now be somewhat larger. Still, two fullbacks and another forward should be the priority. Hope we bring in the best players available for our team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #50: Jul 28, 2014 04:23:51 pm

Exactly why I don't think we should be looking to sell too many Mouse.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #51: Jul 28, 2014 04:28:02 pm

You said that, I didn't.  :D

I merely pointed out that we don't need to go crackers trimming the squad to raise money.

You make a valid point re: wages tho' - how much do you reckon (combined) the five we've signed are paid?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #52: Jul 28, 2014 04:35:29 pm
      Exactly why I don't think we should be looking to sell too many Mouse.

The squad looks alright now, with all the loan players back, it'll be interesting to see how it
      looks when the transfer window closed.

We were only behind Aston Villa for youngest squad last year and, looking at respective transfers,
      could quite easily be youngest this year, unless Southampton bank all the money they've got.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #53: Jul 28, 2014 04:42:19 pm
      You said that, I didn't.  :D

I merely pointed out that we don't need to go crackers trimming the squad to raise money.

You make a valid point re: wages tho' - how much do you reckon (combined) the five we've signed are paid?

Suarez was on £200k per week which equates to £41m over four years.

Lallana is rumoured to be on £80k per week.
      I would expect Can and Markovic to be on the same wages as Coutinho (£1.5m which equates to around £30k per week). So let's say £60k combined.
      Agger, Skrtel and Toure are rumoured to each be on around £80k per week, so it's safe to assume that Lovren's wages are also near this. Rickie Lambert is thought to be on around £40k per week.

Obviously these figures are not accurate, but I'd like to think that they are not too far off. So totalling that would be around £260k per week. So maybe there isn't currently a big impact in terms of wages.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #54: Jul 28, 2014 04:51:02 pm
      The squad looks alright now, with all the loan players back,

It does and adding one or two more would leave us looking very good for the coming season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #55: Jul 28, 2014 05:21:24 pm
      It does and adding one or two more would leave us looking very good for the coming season.

I'd be happy if a defender and attacker came in with better quality than what we have.
      We all would though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #56: Jul 28, 2014 05:23:12 pm
      I'd be happy if a defender and attacker came in with better quality than what we have.
      We all would though.

Likewise.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Jul 28, 2014 05:50:45 pm
      . So totalling that would be around £260k per week. So maybe there isn't currently a big impact in terms of wages.
      It's hard to judge with loanees in and out but I'd imagine Luis' £200k will have softened the blow somewhat. Then again, if Pepe stays (which I doubt) the bill rises again.

Anyhow it's something to bare in mind.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #58: Jul 28, 2014 07:03:07 pm
      We need to make a statement of intent to the rest of Europe. Signing a marquee player would show the world that we're back among the big boys again.

I'm all in favour of buying good players and making them great, but in the meantime our rivals will buy quality year in year out, meaning they will always be a little ahead of us.
      I don't think all our players need to be marquee, but by definition marquee player tends to be a high quality player, so buying the odd one certainly won't do us any harm as long as the money is there.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #59: Jul 28, 2014 10:51:45 pm
      No
      All we need are signings who will be top class at doing the job asked of them by the boss. Signings who will bust a gut for the club. Big name signings are not always the answer
      Good call Brian, we NEED a team not a Marquee player the last two (Luis and Fernando both thought/think the grass is greener elsewhere, the only grass that matters is the hallowed turf of Anfield!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #60: Jul 29, 2014 08:38:17 am
      The problem with the "we don't buy superstars, we make them" line as an excuse not to sign world class players is that when Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Masch and indeed Owen and McManaman became "world class" they left Liverpool because we weren't consistently winning things.

So are Liverpool genuinely a top level destination club or merely a second tier elite feeder club with great history like Benfica and Ajax? Players might come here to improve and then "step up" to the elite clubs who win things. That's the problem we now face with our current buying philosophy. If Coutinho becomes world class will he stay at Anfield if we're winning nothing? If Markovic actually becomes world class how long before a big offer entices him away?

Liverpool should be a destination club. But we aren't anymore and the idea that we 'make' world class players but don't buy them is too small time for a club who seeks to be the best.

For example, there was the silly argument last summer between Liverpool and Arsenal about who is bigger. Now why does that argument exist? If Arsenal had won 5 European cups and Liverpool won none would the argument exist? No, of course not. But it exists today because despite Liverpool's massive history, we often think and act like an average club instead of a massive club with a massive history.

Never more so than in the transfer market - even when we have money like this summer.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #61: Jul 29, 2014 10:35:45 am
      There is the possibility that some players will use us as a stepping stone, but with our current group of players that is something I cannot see. We were at our strongest under Benitez when we had Alonso, Masch and Torres at their peak. That is when we had the opportunity to become a destination club, and we had opportunities to sign such players as Sergio Aguero, Simao, and Dani Alves but yet we decided to opt for complete crap such as Robbie Keane, Jermaine Pennant and Peter Crouch. Because of that, we went back to winning nothing and eventually Xabi left us. Of course H&G were to blame for our 2010 nosedive and since then we've done an incredible job under BR to put ourselves back in the frame. It was inconceivable under them, but we are back and unlike teams like Atletico Madrid, we can keep our best players as a club of this magnitude has the financial power to do so.

BR will only be signing players with the right attitude. He's emphasised this time and again, so hopefully now that Suarez has left, we are done as a selling club. You come here to fight for the cause now, not to use us as a stepping stone. I think that's pretty clear.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1478 
      Reply #62: Jul 29, 2014 12:04:38 pm
      What's a marquee signing? Is throwing £45m at some club for one player a marquee signing? All I know is £45m is marquee price for sure. Which means Luis wasn't marquee, coming in at £22m (or 10% above Stewart Downing). So what exactly is a marquee signing?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #63: Jul 29, 2014 12:14:25 pm
      The term marquee is arbitrary anyway.

I do think we need another attacking player, minimum. We definitely need a striker, as I don't think Sturridge, Lambert and Borini is even close to adequate for PL and CL aspirations.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #64: Jul 29, 2014 12:32:40 pm
      What's a marquee signing? Is throwing £45m at some club for one player a marquee signing? All I know is £45m is marquee price for sure. Which means Luis wasn't marquee, coming in at £22m (or 10% above Stewart Downing). So what exactly is a marquee signing?

Luis was a decent player with a big potential. I don't think anyone predicted that he'd end up joining Barca for £75m, but he was the kind of player who succeeded well at club and international level before joining us.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #65: Jul 29, 2014 12:34:07 pm
      Nope, but we may be at an advantage signing a Maquis member - those guys can be lethal! ;)
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,529 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #66: Jul 29, 2014 12:56:00 pm
      Jay Rod belongs to a Spurs or an Everton at best. He's not good enough for us, and nor is Rickie Lambert.

I have to say that I agree and think Rickie has performed well at times for Southampton, but I think he's going to be found out at a top League club and CL level.
      I hope I'm wrong but he's done absolutely nowt during the games I've seen him play so far, pre-season or not.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #67: Jul 29, 2014 05:14:40 pm
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #68: Jul 29, 2014 08:17:56 pm

Quick Reply