Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 306791 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1242: Apr 14, 2016 02:39:20 pm
      Ok ???We have a women's national team as well, it's just a designation, plus the men's team needs something so people recognize them since the Women's team is superior ;D I'm not even sure what this is.Howard was awesome during the last world cup, he deserved some meme's. The MLS is a good league. Maybe watch it before you knock it.
      Fair enough, but football here is an up and coming sport (finally) and you are only going to hear more from us...now if we could only find 11 good players out of a country of 300+ million...you wouldn't think it would be that hard would you ;D

MLS a good league, compared to what?? Before you say it, yes it probably is better than the Norwegian league but then most things are ;-)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #1243: Apr 14, 2016 02:50:54 pm
      MLS a good league, compared to what?? Before you say it, yes it probably is better than the Norwegian league but then most things are ;-)

Don't be a tit.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1244: Apr 14, 2016 02:58:59 pm
      Ok ???We have a women's national team as well, it's just a designation, plus the men's team needs something so people recognize them since the Women's team is superior ;D I'm not even sure what this is.Howard was awesome during the last world cup, he deserved some meme's. The MLS is a good league. Maybe watch it before you knock it.
      Fair enough, but football here is an up and coming sport (finally) and you are only going to hear more from us...now if we could only find 11 good players out of a country of 300+ million...you wouldn't think it would be that hard would you ;D

He's even more of an embarrassment than Bobby Brown shoes.

I think all nations have a womens team. Its still ridiculous to have the acronym. I think the recognition that the US association gives to women's football is commendable though.

The draft note that Klinsmann wrote to excuse people from work to watch the football. Really cringe-worthy.

Nah, it was a high shot quantity but very low shot quality.

I unfortunately watch the MLS fairly often (not even having a dig here - but I have insomnia so often watch US sports late at night) and MLS is high on athleticism but in terms of quality its sub-championship on average. Most teams are about league one standard. Anyway, nothing embarrassing about having a bad league  - its just the presentation of the league (and that applies to every aspect of it - from the commentators, to the sponsored extra time)

I'm sure you guys will get better - you aren't even that bad now - its the non-pitch related efforts that seem anti-thetical to the current footballing zeitgeist
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #1245: Apr 14, 2016 03:29:29 pm
      He's even more of an embarrassment than Bobby Brown shoes.

I think all nations have a womens team. Its still ridiculous to have the acronym. I think the recognition that the US association gives to women's football is commendable though.

The draft note that Klinsmann wrote to excuse people from work to watch the football. Really cringe-worthy.

Nah, it was a high shot quantity but very low shot quality.

I unfortunately watch the MLS fairly often (not even having a dig here - but I have insomnia so often watch US sports late at night) and MLS is high on athleticism but in terms of quality its sub-championship on average. Most teams are about league one standard. Anyway, nothing embarrassing about having a bad league  - its just the presentation of the league (and that applies to every aspect of it - from the commentators, to the sponsored extra time)

I'm sure you guys will get better - you aren't even that bad now - its the non-pitch related efforts that seem anti-thetical to the current footballing zeitgeist

Well you have to remember...."soccer" is the 4th most popular sport (at best) in this country. It should at least be a solid 3 behind NFL and NBA, but baseball being the "national pasttime" and all, it's hard to overcome that even though it's the most boring sport in the world.

So a lot of those things you think are cringeworthy are in fact just our way of trying to find ways to get more people interested in the sport and in the league.

And I would respectfully disagree about the MLS being League One standard. I think there are some teams in MLS that would do quite well in the Championship.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1246: Apr 14, 2016 03:52:39 pm
      Haha from my experience of this forum, it's okay for our friends around the world to join in the whole F**k England stuff that we from England like to say about our own national team, but it's not so cool when it's F**k Croatia or F**k USA etc etc...

Personally I like to support England, and get up for these big national tournaments. It's nice to actually go the pub with my mates and all support the same team for once.

I also like following our players progress through the tournaments so I'd quite like Dejan to be playing to give me some interest in the Croatia games.

As for his threats about not playing if he's not first choice, I think Croatia and Croatians are entitled to be a little annoyed by it. I could quite well imagine him not being in their top 2 centre back pairing going off his form for us pre Klopp especially. Can't be having that attitude in your team if you want to create a winning team atmosphere.

Anyway, with BT snaffling every match they can get their hands on, I can't wait to have a month of footie on the box!!!
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2016 04:06:50 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1247: Apr 14, 2016 04:02:25 pm
      Well you have to remember...."soccer" is the 4th most popular sport (at best) in this country. It should at least be a solid 3 behind NFL and NBA, but baseball being the "national pasttime" and all, it's hard to overcome that even though it's the most boring sport in the world.

So a lot of those things you think are cringeworthy are in fact just our way of trying to find ways to get more people interested in the sport and in the league.

And I would respectfully disagree about the MLS being League One standard. I think there are some teams in MLS that would do quite well in the Championship.

That's a pretty good point. Don't you find it somewhat insulting though, if that's what they think keeps you entertained.

Well there's a broad range - as we see when clubs get promoted twice in two years - there are some clubs in league one and league two which would do pretty well in the championship. It doesn't change the fact that the average standard is pretty poor. I will also concede that the best MLS clubs are better than the best League one clubs in any given year. But the worst MLS clubs are worse than the worst league one clubs.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1248: Apr 14, 2016 04:05:07 pm
      Haha from my experience of this forum, it's okay for our friends around the world to join in the whole f**k England stuff that we from England like to say about our own national team, but it's not so cool when it's f**k Croatia or f**k USA etc etc...

Haha, this is so true. To be fair to our yank friends, as far as I can tell, patriotism is something they are taught as a virtue, whereas its near enough a sin for us.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1249: Apr 14, 2016 04:27:55 pm
      Lovren has started a race war somehow, just when I was getting to admire the guy too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #1250: Apr 14, 2016 04:50:16 pm
      Haha, this is so true. To be fair to our yank friends, as far as I can tell, patriotism is something they are taught as a virtue, whereas its near enough a sin for us.

I root for England. I don't have to agree with the politics or socio-economic policies of a country (including my own) to support them in a general sense. England is our crusty old grandpa...you don't want to get to close to him cause he smells a little and talks funny, but when push comes to shove, he's part of the family ;D

Yea, the patriotism thing is definitely ingrained in just about everything you do from birth...but we are still a pretty young country and when you look at how we got here....that's one of those things that's held in high esteem as to why we are where and who we are. Right or wrong, it's quite a story.

Anyway...back to Dejan...I'd have him on the USMNT (;D) so c'mon Dejan.....defect and become an US citizen ;D

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1251: Apr 14, 2016 04:53:09 pm
      Lovren has started a race war somehow, just when I was getting to admire the guy too.

He does look like Bond villain tbf when he has the goatee. Probably planning something nefarious with Emre Can (http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljthubDzuF1qc1la6o1_1280.jpg)
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1252: Apr 14, 2016 10:02:12 pm
      CAPTAIN MATERIAL
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1253: Apr 14, 2016 11:13:33 pm
      Thought he was excellent again tonight and not just for the winning goal.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #1254: Apr 14, 2016 11:33:31 pm
      Just give him the Captain's armband now. No use fighting it anymore :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1255: Apr 14, 2016 11:35:37 pm

Agreed - while everything and everyone else was up and down, back and forth and left and right he was the most consistent of the lot.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #1256: Apr 14, 2016 11:43:56 pm
      Love it when a player starts F***ing hopeless and then manages to turn it around just as it looks like he might get launched out.

Scoring the winner tonight definitely cancels out that penalty miss.

Well played Dejan lad.  You can now officially stay.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1257: Apr 14, 2016 11:45:23 pm
      what a different player this lad is these days so confident and he reads the game so well. That goal will become part of our history brilliant so pleased for the lad.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1258: Apr 15, 2016 12:02:07 am
      He was excellent defensively and then he went up and did *that*. Outstanding performance from him even when his partner was having a dreadful game and looks more and more like a player you'd want to build your defence around going into next season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1259: Apr 15, 2016 12:06:17 am
      Seems like a completely different player from last season. But I suppose it's easier without the madcap defensive ideas of Rodgers!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1260: Apr 15, 2016 05:15:34 am

He's gone UP in my estimation mate!

:)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1261: Apr 15, 2016 07:22:15 am
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1262: Apr 15, 2016 08:17:15 am
      Who would have believed it if you'd have said a year ago, he'd launch us past Dortmund into the semis?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #1263: Apr 15, 2016 10:23:51 am
      Boss player 8)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1264: Apr 15, 2016 03:12:58 pm
      Was thinking he might be a good choice for Skipper next season?

Remember where you heard it first.

Quick Reply