Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 307829 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1334: Dec 01, 2016 01:09:29 pm
      Agree with all of the above. The Skrtel comment is true and just as relevant is not having a headless chicken as his left back who consistently dragged him out wide to cover for his defensive shortcomings.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1335: Dec 01, 2016 11:57:46 pm
      Think with the way our attackers have been playing it's a case that both him and Lovren are going a bit unnoticed. Well not unnoticed but hopefully you get what I mean.

Solid partnership growing there, it's good to see.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1336: Dec 04, 2016 03:48:08 pm
      Dont need to say anything really after that performance today.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1337: Dec 04, 2016 07:03:14 pm
      Copping his usual flack from the usual quarters, but given he was playing alongside Lucas who hasn't played for a good while I think he did pretty well. At fault for the first goal for sure, but for the others I don't see how he could have influenced things much more than he did.

At some point as a club and a fanbase we are going to have to accept that if you allow teams to break onto you whilst one or both of your full backs are up in the opposition penalty area, and if your "holding" midfielder has gone missing also, there are going to be occasions when your centre halves are going to look exposed.

One thing I didn't think we ever really adjusted to as a unit was the fact that we were defending 15-20 yards deeper than we generally do because Lucas was playing. I'm not criticising that ploy it was the correct thing to do, but our midfield sitters never really seemed to get in front properly and screen the back four. Can, Wijnaldum and Henderson were all completely missing for the second goal, and none of them got within 30 yards of the lad who had a free shot for the last goal. Yes the keeper should haven held it, but the three midfield lads have got to hold their hands up IMHO.

Put it this way, when Jürgen analyses the capitulation it'll be the midfielders IMHO who will feel his anger more than any other part of the team.       
      Kopite78
      Reply #1338: Dec 04, 2016 07:21:01 pm
      Copping his usual flack from the usual quarters, but given he was playing alongside Lucas who hasn't played for a good while I think he did pretty well. At fault for the first goal for sure, but for the others I don't see how he could have influenced things much more than he did.

Lucas has actually started 3 of the last 5 at CB

I'm not actually a Lovren basher but his part in the first goal was major and if they hadn't got that they wouldn't likely have got back into imo

Had it stayed at 2-0 longer into the second and we then grabbed the third then what happened is far less likely to have happened

Was Lovren the main issue? No but like the others he played a very large part in today's second half, no point pretending his mistake didn't majorly contribute

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1339: Dec 04, 2016 09:32:59 pm
      No doubt he has been good recently but still not as good as many like to think, he was better than average playing alongside the excellent Fonte and no surprise with the excellent Matip beside him he has looked good.

Which raises questions about his ability if Matip is ever injured and thank F**k he is not going to the African Nations.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1340: Dec 05, 2016 07:47:29 am
      Terrible header for the first one that led to Millny giving away that penalty. Hope Joel is back next week so they can resume their wonderful partnership together.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1341: Dec 05, 2016 09:53:55 am
      Nothing more than a bad day at the office for this lad, I do feel like he plays worse when he doesn't trust his partner!
      Was bad with Skrtle and is bad with Lucas, was much better with Sakho and is immense with Matip next to him!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1342: Dec 05, 2016 10:09:26 am
      Nothing more than a bad day at the office for this lad, I do feel like he plays worse when he doesn't trust his partner!
      Was bad with Skrtle and is bad with Lucas, was much better with Sakho and is immense with Matip next to him!

Quite right. If Moreno was doing what Millie was doing there it would all be about Lovren covering as Moreno was out of position and then making a stupid, stupid challenge.

Lovren was over that side for a reason.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1343: Dec 05, 2016 10:57:02 am
      Its simple, he needs to be upgraded.

Everyone seems to love him but I've never taken to him, he's a liability and Matip coming in just shows the kind of quality we need.

His distribution yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen, floating balls no where.

He's been here for a few years now and is still making consistent errors.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #1344: Dec 05, 2016 02:39:59 pm
      I'm torn on Lovren, I think he's done pretty well since Klopp came in but he has had some shockers too.

I guess the questions are there, is he as good as Matip? No.

Is he the best we can get? No.

Will he be starting for us next season? I doubt it
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1345: Dec 05, 2016 02:50:36 pm
      Its simple, he needs to be upgraded.

Everyone seems to love him but I've never taken to him, he's a liability and Matip coming in just shows the kind of quality we need.

His distribution yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen, floating balls no where.

He's been here for a few years now and is still making consistent errors.

Beg to differ, think the way he moves the ball quickly usually with his first touch out to the full backs actually helps a lot, doesn't allow their strikers and midfielders the time to get across quick and gives Milner or Clyne an extra 3 or 4 metres of space to exploit which at the to level makes a big difference, nothing more than 1 bad game in a while!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1346: Dec 05, 2016 03:08:13 pm
      Beg to differ, think the way he moves the ball quickly usually with his first touch out to the full backs actually helps a lot, doesn't allow their strikers and midfielders the time to get across quick and gives Milner or Clyne an extra 3 or 4 metres of space to exploit which at the to level makes a big difference, nothing more than 1 bad game in a while!

The whole point of the forum mate and I respect what you're saying.

If we want to be a top European team then Lovren has to go (just my opinion)
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,331 posts | 182 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1347: Dec 05, 2016 10:06:49 pm
      I don't rate this guy that much to be honest, seeing that our defense completely fell apart after Matip got injured. I'm also fairly sure he won't be starting for us next year.

Too bad Sakho ended up being the stupid one, because he's a much better CB imo.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1348: Dec 05, 2016 10:32:38 pm
      Too bad Sakho ended up being the stupid one, because he's a much better CB imo.

Don't agree with this. He's better with the ball but overall I'd say they are about the same but I can't see Sakho being able to line up next to Matip leading the defence.

If the rumours are to be believed then Van Dijk will be arriving anyway.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1349: Dec 05, 2016 11:23:37 pm
      Don't agree with this. He's better with the ball but overall I'd say they are about the same but I can't see Sakho being able to line up next to Matip leading the defence.

If the rumours are to be believed then Van Dijk will be arriving anyway.

Matip and Van Dijk would be unstoppable
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1350: Dec 06, 2016 02:44:33 am
      Matip and Van Dijk would be unstoppable

Maybe, but I would prefer a more gritty, quick and agile defender along side Matip, players like, Carra, Puyol or Ramos etc, those types. I guess we have them in Lovren and Klavan?

Also, A City friend said rumours are circulating that they are looking to replace Kompany with Van Dijk in the summer :o
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1351: Dec 06, 2016 04:19:52 am
      The bloke does seem to need somebody to hold his hand in order for him to have a good game.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,183 posts | 832 
      Reply #1352: Dec 06, 2016 09:35:00 am

At some point as a club and a fanbase we are going to have to accept that if you allow teams to break onto you whilst one or both of your full backs are up in the opposition penalty area, and if your "holding" midfielder has gone missing also, there are going to be occasions when your centre halves are going to look exposed.

One thing I didn't think we ever really adjusted to as a unit was the fact that we were defending 15-20 yards deeper than we generally do because Lucas was playing. I'm not criticising that ploy it was the correct thing to do, but our midfield sitters never really seemed to get in front properly and screen the back four. Can, Wijnaldum and Henderson were all completely missing for the second goal, and none of them got within 30 yards of the lad who had a free shot for the last goal. Yes the keeper should haven held it, but the three midfield lads have got to hold their hands up IMHO.

Put it this way, when Jürgen analyses the capitulation it'll be the midfielders IMHO who will feel his anger more than any other part of the team.       

He was awful mate, no need to blame somebody else for his amateurish performance.

That header where Milner conceded a penalty summed it up for me
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1353: Dec 06, 2016 09:42:34 am
      He was awful mate, no need to blame somebody else for his amateurish performance.

That header where Milner conceded a penalty summed it up for me

Yep.

Milner got a bit of stick for that one, but Lovren left one of his infamous 'brain fart' finger-prints all over that one.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #1354: Dec 06, 2016 11:53:51 am
      quick and agile defender along side Matip, players like, Carra, Puyol or Ramos etc, those types. I guess we have them in Lovren and Klavan?

:lmao: :lmao: you're just typing words aren't you?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1355: Dec 06, 2016 12:06:55 pm
      :lmao: :lmao: you're just typing words aren't you?
      Spilt my drink too when read quick and Carra in the same sentence.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,183 posts | 832 
      Reply #1356: Dec 06, 2016 02:29:49 pm
      Yep.

Milner got a bit of stick for that one, but Lovren left one of his infamous 'brain fart' finger-prints all over that one.

I mean milner's touch and control were really poor, but that header from Lovren was very cringe worthy....

Quick Reply