Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 307806 times
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #805: Aug 23, 2015 05:24:03 am
      Was fortunate enough to sit in the Kop end for our first game of the season and kept a keen and close eye on Lovren in particular in the second half as we defended the Kop end.

My observation and contrary to popular belief on here Lovren did ten times the talking screaming and bollocking compared to Marty. He was trying to organise and push up the backline a little quicker than last season. He certainly had his work cut out  at times by young Joe who is still learning his role as a fullback as a result was dragged out of position a few times however it was not only Gomez, Ibe was very slack in his defensive duties in particular in the second half piling more pressure on Gomez and Lovren.

Overall I thought he had a very good game barring a misqued clearance outside the 18 which he won the resulting aerial dual for anyway and one poorly timed tackle which he luckily missed that could have resulted in a penalty.

Played a peach 60 yard ball to Benteke with the laces was a beauty to watch form the stands.

Think this is another aspect of his game that many might be not stressing the importance of enough. His organizational skills and ability to command the defense has improved significantly, most likely due to his evident boosted confidence. One clear part you can see even from the tele is that on set pieces, he coordinates the whole team and sets a line for the trap.

Although I do still believe Sakho's probably an equal or better defender overall, I think that if he does end up being paired with Skrtel, he's going to need to fill this role that Dejan is performing as the leader of the backline. It's improved our organization, tactics, and abilities to defend as a unit.

If Lovren does slip up at some point (hopefully not), then it'll be up to Sakho or Skrtel  to figure out the leadership of the role and show the skills required to organize a defense, get on other's backs, and keep everyone in check. This far, Skrts hasn't been great at it and we've really been lacking someone capable of it since Agger left.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #806: Aug 24, 2015 02:45:36 pm
      I would like to see him in a back three with Sakho and Gomez maybe for the league cup. Sakho LCB and Gomez RCB then Clyne and moreno as Wingbacks. Either way unless he starts messing up big time he's keeping his place if anything Skrtel should be worried
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #807: Aug 24, 2015 10:05:47 pm
      Gets some stick off me this lad, so only right I should be first in here giving him the credit for what I thought was a very good performance by him, well in Dejan.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,227 posts | 4921 
      Reply #808: Aug 24, 2015 10:07:07 pm
      I don't think he put a foot wrong tonight.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #809: Aug 24, 2015 10:08:14 pm
      Very good performance tonight.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #810: Aug 24, 2015 10:09:29 pm
      Good performance, looks like he's got is confidence back so until he waivers, start him (even though I still rate Sakho better ;))
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #811: Aug 24, 2015 11:03:13 pm
      Great performance tonight, long may it continue.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #812: Aug 24, 2015 11:10:32 pm
      Been confident in him making a strong comeback since even before we started preseason and he's turning out well.

Defensively the attributes are all there, he knows what he's doing back there for sure. But mentally is where he's changed significantly. Showing what he showed at Southampton to warrant our interest. He anticipates very well, positions well, and has been very comfortable back there. Also proving to be a crucial leader in terms of organizing and situating the defense and midfield.

Hope this isn't just form, but something that will be consistent out of him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #813: Aug 24, 2015 11:14:54 pm
      Been confident in him making a strong comeback since even before we started preseason and he's turning out well.

Defensively the attributes are all there, he knows what he's doing back there for sure. But mentally is where he's changed significantly. Showing what he showed at Southampton to warrant our interest. He anticipates very well, positions well, and has been very comfortable back there. Also proving to be a crucial leader in terms of organizing and situating the defense and midfield.

Hope this isn't just form, but something that will be consistent out of him.

Wasn't showy or anything today - just did his work quietly and efficiently. I think this was his and Skrtel's best performance together.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #814: Aug 25, 2015 12:03:58 am
      Proof was in the pudding tonight.

Well done Dejan lad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,214 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #815: Aug 25, 2015 12:14:06 am
      Has taken stick but deserves credit for tonight played well
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #816: Aug 25, 2015 12:14:18 am
      Proof was in the pudding tonight.

Well done Dejan lad.

Yup, another solid performance.....3 clean sheets not much else we can ask for.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #817: Aug 25, 2015 08:58:09 am
      It's looking better, but by my reckoning we'd need to see about a dozen or so very good performances to completely even up the ledger. Encouraging signs though from the FC, and least he's now demonstrated once and for all that he is actually a very good player and not a complete buffoon. My guess is though that although he's probably convinced most fans by now that he's capable of being very good indeed, it's still himself which will need to be convinced once and for all.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #818: Aug 25, 2015 10:01:14 am
      Given the lad some sh*t , but that was by far his best performance for us , keep it up and there will be no complaints .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #819: Aug 25, 2015 10:06:34 am
      Yep given him a lot of sh*t too but played very well tonight. Keeps this form up and Sakho aint gonna get a run anytime soon.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #820: Aug 25, 2015 10:08:03 am
      It was yet another solid game from the lad. Gomez and the gaffer should take credit for Lovren's performances too because he looks more solid with a proper defender next to him than when Moreno was there. The analysis on Sky last night showed how one of the full backs tends to stay back when the other is bursting forward and that helps the centre backs out a whole lot as it creates a 3 on 3 or 3 on 2 situation rather than being outnumbered. It's certainly a better system than Everton's who just push everybody forward throughout the match leaving only the centre backs in defensive positions.

It's evidently clear that the defence is being worked on in training this season, it came across as being an afterthought last season.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #821: Aug 27, 2015 09:13:44 am
      I am not sure but this guy is looking a bit better than he was last season,like he needed time setling in Liverpool.
      I hopee he will not stop now and he will be even better.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #822: Aug 29, 2015 05:07:17 pm
      Well he got the credit last week deserved this week he gets the criticism.

That was absolute gash Dejan, woeful performance and to stand out in a sea of terrible performances is some accomplishment.

Sad thing is I'm pretty damn sure he'll be lining up for us against the Mancs.

Dire.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #823: Aug 29, 2015 05:10:50 pm
      Absolutely awful. Brendan said he was "confident". Perhaps too confident. He must really think he's Beckenbauer but it must have been an hilarious sight for the opposition fans watching him overcomplicating things.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #824: Aug 29, 2015 05:13:24 pm
      After a great performance against Arsenal, Lovren went right back to the player he was last season. Can we even get back half of what we paid for him?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #825: Aug 29, 2015 05:14:42 pm
      When I said we should be playing our best pairing of Skrtel and Sakho there were a few people jumping on my back because Lovren was in good form. Well today he has shown it was exactly that, form and not quality. He was barely even playing that well IMO, just less bad than usual but today he excelled himself and picked up his form of last season, well done Dejan, well done!

For me, we should always be looking to play out strongest possible team and that team doesn't have Lovren starting in it! Sakho is head and shoulders better than him and it was only a matter of time before Lovren went back to his old ways.

Not good enough, simple.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #826: Aug 29, 2015 05:20:27 pm
      What a wet drip this little wimp is.

He goes from the worst defender in the team to running in a few average performances. He plays alright for the first part today but for some reason he thinks he's now able to charge forward with a few step overs. What reality is he living in! And to top it all off he goes from being wildly over confident to horribly unsure about himself, bumbling on the ball and giving it away in the space of two minutes. Are you actually F***ing kidding me. He's a mental midget who will never make it in the big sea. Back to the small pond.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #827: Aug 29, 2015 05:55:22 pm
      Just remembered his attempt at step overs...

Quick Reply