Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305320 times
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #414: Mar 02, 2015 01:01:30 am
      Starting to dominate in the air a bit more, hopefully the rest will soon follow. I think you can tell he's the type of defender that should be perfect for us, very comfortable with the ball at his feet etc. However he is still wasteful with his passing sometimes and his attempts to defend on the front foot can lead to him diving in a bit too much.

Just needs to learn how to relax I think. Too desperate to make an impression.

On these two points, I thought in the 2nd half Lovren was towering, and his interceptions while playing really high line were top notch. Some crisp passes finding Coutinho in space as well making Lovrens performance after restart one of his best for us.

Personally think Dejan had a better game than Can who was dodgey as f**k in the 1st. Skrtel was our best defender vs City
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #415: Mar 02, 2015 01:15:06 am
      Lovren played better second half than first, if he can build off that and improve would be good, but he won't replace Sakho.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #416: Mar 02, 2015 01:29:31 am
      Agree with many of the comments above - watching the game back I thought he was probably our poorest outfield player.  Positional play poor - doesn't have the range of passing or energy of most of his other team-mates and is prone to some foolish challenges. 

Looks better than he did at the start of the season but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

You have had a cob on with the lad for a while now.

Poor positional play? At times in the first half he was drifting out left to cover for Moreno who has the defending intelligance of an oxen. You want an example of poor positional play que Skrtel and Can for their goal, Martin does some epic ball watching as his runner slashes across him the only CB in the right position in that play is actually Lovren.

Second half he was immense in the air won every single aerial duel against a taller Dzeko and without pulling the stats I counted 6 interceptions he made which is a feat in itself for a center half. 2 passes he fluffed one to Moreno and Coutinho and the attempted slide tackle on Aguero were the 3 dodgy decisions he made the entire game not a 10/10 performance by any stretch of the imagination but calling him poor is very harsh on the lad and a tad irritating that you seem to wait and have a pop at him at every given opportunity.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #417: Mar 02, 2015 10:20:16 am
      People see different things in football matches, and we all notice good things about players we like. I like the future captain, always have. I'm absolutely convinced that this time next season we will be fully engaged in a fight for the title, and that the FC will be one of the first names on the team sheet. The fella is really obviously a top player, at the moment his problem is that he himself needs reminding of it.

As for the 20 million quid fee, too high as of now but in time worth every penny. If we sold him in the Summer I think we'd lose 1/3 of our money, no more.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #418: Mar 02, 2015 12:47:05 pm
      Its all in his head look at how Migs has turned his season around and now we wouldnt want to see him go. the same is for Lovern he's lost confidence and taking that pen was not a good idea but the others didnt have the minerals to step up so fair play to that.
      now slight worry is he always looks to play it back or to the side just like Skrtel used to always do which puts our GK under uncessary pressure but that's down to BR and the coaching. if he can stay in the side when Sakho is fit and we push CAN up to the middle maybe with Sakho him and skrtel and Can sitting just infront he starts gaining his mojo back and steps back up to the level he was when we signed him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #419: Mar 02, 2015 03:43:45 pm
      You have had a cob on with the lad for a while now.

I have had a cob on with him.  I've had a cob on with him for his underwhelming performances.  I don't like having a cob on with players so the sooner he starts playing well (and he has improved) the sooner I will be in here highlighting his supreme quality and pondering how we ever had to stick him on the bench.

Until then I will point out some of the problems (of which you already highlighted incidentally) that I believe he has such as communication errors - both with Mignolet and Alberto Moreno as an example from this weekend.

He's back in the side - he's taking advantage of an injury to try and press his claim and I hope he does because it's in all our interests to have as many players as possible competing for the first team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #420: Mar 02, 2015 07:53:15 pm

Not at this club he's not

He seems like a complete and utter nervous wreck! Sorry but who seriously thought it was a good idea to pay so much for this guy?! Sure he had a fairly decent second half but that first half he was terrible, Hendo basically had to console the bloke at one point!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #421: Mar 02, 2015 08:21:23 pm
      Showing signs of improvement eg. in the 2nd half yest (distribution poor in the 1st). He's maybe benefiting from coming back into a side which has a solid defensive organization, bedded in when he was out of the side (which says a lot about what his form was like). Like Lovren, he's decent in the air and likes a tackle, but needs to improve his position and passing to stake a regular claim (reckon he's be out again when Sahko is back, unless a midfielder gets injured and Can has to move into midfield).
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #422: Mar 02, 2015 10:21:29 pm
      I have had a cob on with him.  I've had a cob on with him for his underwhelming performances.  I don't like having a cob on with players so the sooner he starts playing well (and he has improved) the sooner I will be in here highlighting his supreme quality and pondering how we ever had to stick him on the bench.

Until then I will point out some of the problems (of which you already highlighted incidentally) that I believe he has such as communication errors - both with Mignolet and Alberto Moreno as an example from this weekend.

He's back in the side - he's taking advantage of an injury to try and press his claim and I hope he does because it's in all our interests to have as many players as possible competing for the first team.

The criticism has been way over the top not just by you but a few others. You have had a pop at him in match threads even when he didn't make it off the bench or the match day squad.

He is one of those players that is a victim of their price tag, if we can afford others the time to adjust and adopt to playing for a club of our magnitude why can't we do the same for Lovren?

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #423: Mar 02, 2015 11:11:56 pm
      What we have here is a classic case of football time lag. He's actually been pretty good ever since he came back into the team, but like Mignolet before him people won't realise it before it's completely accepted and obvious. The trouble is (for all of us), once you've made your mind up about a player (or a manager in our case too) it's very difficult to look at things with a clear head.

I'm as near certain as I can be that Lovren will prove to be an excellent centre half for us for many years to come.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1194 
      Reply #424: Mar 02, 2015 11:26:41 pm
      He's better than you think, Mick  ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #425: Mar 05, 2015 08:38:26 am
      The Rehab programme for "future captain" is paying dividends and apart from a couple of sloppy passes another solid performance.

Mind you the whole defence were in deck chairs with cigars on last last night, Burnley were that impotent in the final third.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #426: Mar 05, 2015 12:46:47 pm
      What we have here is a classic case of football time lag. He's actually been pretty good ever since he came back into the team, but like Mignolet before him people won't realise it before it's completely accepted and obvious. The trouble is (for all of us), once you've made your mind up about a player (or a manager in our case too) it's very difficult to look at things with a clear head.
      Whilst I'm nowhere near as sold as you on his performances, so far, Mick, I appreciate where your coming from here.

Quick question - do you see his performances as being good enough to keep Mama out of the team when he's fit?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #427: Mar 05, 2015 12:50:14 pm
      Whilst I'm nowhere near as sold as you on his performances, so far, Mick, I appreciate where your coming from here.

Quick question - do you see his performances as being good enough to keep Mama out of the team when he's fit?
      100% NO Fing WAY!!! only way he will stay in the team is if Emre Can moves up next to allen or hendo. When Sakho is 100% he starts as our LCB 100%
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #428: Mar 05, 2015 12:54:51 pm

Regarding the question;no, but that's not the standard I am looking for. The standard is "good enough to play for us", and the jury is still out on that one. When you have a back 3 you need 5 players (or maybe more, I'm no expert) who can play there. I also don't see Can long term as a CB so he doesn't have to displace Sakho to still be of value to the team.

I don't think we will ever look at him and say he is 20 million pounds worth of CB (mostly because I don't really know how that can be quantified), but I reckon he'll be at the club for a while to come and play an important part.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #429: Mar 05, 2015 12:56:43 pm
      i think he will come good once he sorts his head out which at the moment is all over the place to go from being a starter week in week out to being critisised for the state of how your playing must take its toll. all i know is he needs to be solid and start shining if he is to be a regular,maybe get the odd goal or assist and stop passing it back to the GK every single chance he gets. if in doubt launch it up field.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #430: Mar 05, 2015 01:00:07 pm

That's an interesting  question.  Thinking about it, I can see times, depending on the opposition, when you could see any three from Can, Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho.  Makes me wonder if, in the summer, we'll let TourĂ© go and rely on those four plus Ilori or even sign another CB as Can makes his way into midfield.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #431: Mar 05, 2015 01:03:14 pm
      Regarding the question;no, but that's not the standard I am looking for. The standard is "good enough to play for us"
      Well lads; although neither of you are bigmick, I appreciate the replies.  :gt-happyup:

But... I was really looking to 'pick the brains' of someone [bigmick, for e.g.] who rated the lad and as much as I appreciate your input the fact that neither of you rate Dejan, in the first place, sort of, defeats the point of my question. Still... thanks anyhow.  8)
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #432: Mar 05, 2015 01:46:46 pm
      Well lads; although neither of you are bigmick, I appreciate the replies.  :gt-happyup:

But... I was really looking to 'pick the brains' of someone [bigmick, for e.g.] who rated the lad and as much as I appreciate your input the fact that neither of you rate Dejan, in the first place, sort of, defeats the point of my question. Still... thanks anyhow.  8)
      i think there is a top player in there he just needs to bring it back out mate, i want him as RCB with skrtel CB then Sakho as LCB pushing CAN in as DM. That's how i hope we pan out in the futre, Lovern is talented just lost confidence.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #433: Mar 05, 2015 03:28:44 pm

Fair enough.
      I'm sorry that you thought it didn't rate Lovren from my post. I think I said the jury is still out on whether he is a good player. He has provided enough evidence for both sides of the case.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #434: Mar 05, 2015 03:32:02 pm
      I'm sorry that you thought it didn't rate Lovren from my post.
      Not as much as mick mate... that was the point. It's no biggie either way.  8)
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #435: Mar 11, 2015 10:27:11 am
      It's tough to judge centre-halves. They can make you look pretty stupid. I've not been all that impressed with what I've seen from Lovren thus far BUT I also thought Sakho was a liability at times last season but look at the progress he has made during his 2nd season at the club, the lad has been an absolute beast this year, he stays on his feet, his distribution has been fantastic and he is playing with confidence. Ditto for Skrtel, he has had some truly woeful periods in a red shirt but right now I don't think there is a better CB in the league and the same could have been said the year we went both cup finals.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #436: Mar 13, 2015 12:43:14 pm
      i think he has ability but its all in his head, once he has a few good games under his belt he will gain confidence. Not sure i would start him as RCB over CAN which say's it all really. only he can force his way into the side by what he does on and off the pitch. he needs to be commanding in training and when he plays  have worldie games to cerment his place then and only then will average performances be overlooked. until that happens he will fizzle in and out the side.

Quick Reply