Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 307219 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #897: Aug 31, 2015 07:56:51 pm
      The definition of Lovren having a great game now appears to be when he doesn't execute a monumental F**k up.

Sad state of affairs that for a Liverpool defender.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #898: Aug 31, 2015 08:04:29 pm
      The definition of Lovren having a great game now appears to be when he doesn't execute a monumental f**k up.

Sad state of affairs that for a Liverpool defender.

To be fair I don't think anyone has said he's had a great game for us just a couple of decent ones.

But he is so far from a £20 million defender right now it's not even funny.

There is still a good defender in there if he can get stronger mentally.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #899: Aug 31, 2015 09:23:40 pm
      But he is so far from a £20 million defender right now it's not even funny.

It's taking the piss and I am beginning to seriously think we would do better with playing with less players than the other teams when he is due to start because he seems to do more against us than for us.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #900: Aug 31, 2015 10:02:34 pm
      Clearly his confidence is shot, whether it's due to lack of confidence in his duties or in his team mates, the stick he's been getting online and in-game, or a sudden loss of self-esteem about his own abilities.

I find it sad that so many of us play the blame game when we lose or play badly.  We're a bit better than that aren't we?  Most goals conceded come from a number of mistakes from a number of players at different positions, all of whom had no intention of making said mistakes.  I make mistakes in my job.  So do you.  Yes, Dejan's made quite a few high profile howlers, and he's getting pelters for it.  He's in a rut I reckon, and he's got to have a few good games and a nice appreciative rub-down from the nice chaps on MOTD and Sky to massage his ego.  A few of us fans showing a bit more appreciation for the good things he can do wouldn't go amiss, either, and reading this thread shows that there's still some of us willing to back him when he has a decent game.  He plays for Liverpool, and as long as he does, I'll support him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6358 
      Reply #901: Aug 31, 2015 10:13:42 pm
      I make mistakes in my job.  So do you. 

Occasionally, not over and over. If I did...I'd be gone.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #902: Aug 31, 2015 10:28:39 pm
      Footballers all make em, of course, every game.  Even Bilic said there were mistakes from many of our players that led to his side's win, and that the second wasn't just down to Lovren.  He's right.
      There's a pattern though.  And it leads me to think its a problem with our set-up and Brendan's habit of tinkering and playing people out of position.  The pattern is that Lovren's blunders have almost all come when he's strayed into the left full-back position.  Why is that, do you think?  I would suggest its because he's covering a weak full back.  Good players do that when they've no confidence in their team mate - they try too hard to cover their own and the other guy's job.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #903: Aug 31, 2015 11:15:37 pm
      Clearly his confidence is shot, whether it's due to lack of confidence in his duties or in his team mates, the stick he's been getting online and in-game, or a sudden loss of self-esteem about his own abilities.

I find it sad that so many of us play the blame game when we lose or play badly.  We're a bit better than that aren't we?  Most goals conceded come from a number of mistakes from a number of players at different positions, all of whom had no intention of making said mistakes.  I make mistakes in my job.  So do you.  Yes, Dejan's made quite a few high profile howlers, and he's getting pelters for it.  He's in a rut I reckon, and he's got to have a few good games and a nice appreciative rub-down from the nice chaps on MOTD and Sky to massage his ego.  A few of us fans showing a bit more appreciation for the good things he can do wouldn't go amiss, either, and reading this thread shows that there's still some of us willing to back him when he has a decent game.  He plays for Liverpool, and as long as he does, I'll support him.

Maybe he should have had a lack of confidence before he decided to dribble 50 yards up the pitch before his embarrassing attempts at step overs, dribbling into an opponent, falling over and then instead of clearing the ball he decides to dribble into his own 18 yard box where West Ham players were lying in wait.

He had a good first few games but he went back to his usual self against West Ham.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6358 
      Reply #904: Aug 31, 2015 11:22:34 pm
      Footballers all make em, of course, every game.  Even Bilic said there were mistakes from many of our players that led to his side's win, and that the second wasn't just down to Lovren.  He's right.
      There's a pattern though.  And it leads me to think its a problem with our set-up and Brendan's habit of tinkering and playing people out of position.  The pattern is that Lovren's blunders have almost all come when he's strayed into the left full-back position.  Why is that, do you think?  I would suggest its because he's covering a weak full back.  Good players do that when they've no confidence in their team mate - they try too hard to cover their own and the other guy's job.

Oh so now his problem is he doesn't have any confidence in his teammate? And here I thought he just didn't have any confidence in himself.

So now we just have to go buy a world class LB and Lovren's problems will all magically go away I guess.

Wonder why Brendan didn't think of that earlier?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #905: Aug 31, 2015 11:29:45 pm
      If confidence was the issue vs West Ham, he wouldn't have made those mistakes in the first place. A defender without confidence won't run with the ball into attack doing stepovers. A defender without confidence will kick the ball out or give it to the goalkeeper as soon as possible, instead of attempting whatever the F**k he did in their 2nd goal
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #906: Aug 31, 2015 11:48:07 pm
      Sorry mate but I disagree. A player who lacks confidence firstly doesn't make decisions. He hesitates, gets caught in two minds and ends up without time or space, or in Lovrens case, balance, to do the quick, effective thing that he should have done. The guys not a fuckwit, his confidence has deserted him - seen it a hundred times in the lads I coach.
      And yes we do need a proper left back and yes that, I'm certain, would help Lovren to be an effective CB.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #907: Sep 01, 2015 05:22:43 am
      Occasionally, not over and over. If I did...I'd be gone.

To be fair FL, if you do make a mistake you and your family probably are death threats soon after.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6358 
      Reply #908: Sep 01, 2015 01:45:12 pm
      To be fair FL, if you do make a mistake you and your family probably are death threats soon after.

If I make a mistake, my clients can leave themselves open to attack and lose lots and lots of money potentially.  If Lovren makes a mistake he just has to delete his Instagram account and Rodgers picks up again in the next game.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #909: Sep 01, 2015 03:30:42 pm
      I suppose 4 good games in a row was too much to ask for a 20mil international CB, along with Skrtel we must have two of the biggest jokes at CB for a top team. Drop them both play Sakho and Gomez at CB it honestly cant be any worse.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #910: Sep 02, 2015 01:49:22 am
      As one of his biggest supporters on here and without seeing the match as I was stuck at Singapore Airport if he did stink as much as everybody says he did making elementary and amateurish mistakes than rightfully so he deserves dropping.

Bring on the Big Mama show.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #911: Sep 02, 2015 11:29:37 am
      As one of his biggest supporters on here and without seeing the match as I was stuck at Singapore Airport if he did stink as much as everybody says he did making elementary and amateurish mistakes than rightfully so he deserves dropping.

Honestly Dado his performance would have went down brilliant in a comedy club, that's how bad it was, the problem were now left with is if we drop him following the level of abuse he's had on social media etc, his confidence is going to be totally smashed, we've got a real dilemma here with Lovren at the minute.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #912: Sep 02, 2015 11:40:13 am
      Honestly Dado his performance would have went down brilliant in a comedy club, that's how bad it was, the problem were now left with is if we drop him following the level of abuse he's had on social media etc, his confidence is going to be totally smashed, we've got a real dilemma here with Lovren at the minute.

If his confidence is that fragile he is probably at the wrong club.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #913: Sep 02, 2015 11:43:30 am
      If his confidence is that fragile he is probably at the wrong club.

I think both answer to that question are yes mate, we know his confidence is fragile, we know because of that he probably is at the wrong club, I was hoping this season he would become £20m defender, leader and organiser we were told we were getting..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #914: Sep 02, 2015 02:38:15 pm
      Just dreadful. Ridiculous and comical defender
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #915: Sep 02, 2015 04:34:57 pm
      Finally watched the game, one dreadful error, in which the ball gets caught up between his legs and he slips, but still he should have dealt with it.  Otherwise he was just OK, problem was the rest of the team was just OK as well and we played in to West Ham's hands, and that's more Rodgers' set up than players.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #916: Sep 02, 2015 08:12:43 pm
      He'll have some good games and then he'll have stupid games where he gifts the opposition goals. Which is why he isn't suited to a top 5 team.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #917: Sep 03, 2015 12:30:02 am

Fair enough Daz.

Read in the Croatian papers he does not seem to be fussed about the social media abuse one bit despite shutting them down temporarily. He made a comment along the lines of "true fans of the club are behind me and those behind the abuse aren't real fans of the club".

Expect him to be dropped for the United game and rightfully so then I am sure he will get another opportunity though and if he can't show any level of consistency in his performance then he should be shipped out in January. I said before in my mind him and Lallana are in the same boat in that they were brought in at a high price as seasoned professionals in their positions a season and a half is ample time to prove your quality and worth. Neither have managed to do so yet.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #918: Sep 03, 2015 07:40:30 am
      Confidence, its a funny thing - and many on here (and our manager) are stating that this is the catalyst behind his recent, or season long, poor performances. I do sympathise - it sucks being low on confidence in a job where you are struggling. Often, at these times its sink or swim - you will start performing well and build confidence or you will collapse. The question I have is - how much of his performance against West Ham was down to 'confidence'..?

I will pick two 'moments' up - firstly the Messi like cross overs before losing the ball. This dosent seem like the action of a player who is low on confidence, if anything the total opposite. Why he decided to do this, I have no idea - perhaps it was so Rodgers could get a good view on the absolute tekkers he has? But in all fairness, this is not the action of a player who is struggling with their own ability. When a striker is suffering the same issues they wouldn't dare do this - we have all seen players hiding from the ball in games, this is not the action of someone who is worried...

Second I would look to the goal that we conceded after his total blunder... In the post match analysis they showed 4 times he could have got rid of the ball before he eventually lost it. A player low on confidence would not have lost the ball here - they would have simply put it out and retreated back towards their own goal. Not try to take on a player who has tracked you back to the corner...

The message we often hear is 'go back to the basics' and this is what a player low on confidence would have been told. When in doubt kick it out - as the mantra goes... But we don't see this - Lovren seldom puts his boot through the ball, he always waits for the 'bounce' and a chance to control the ball when the safer option is to header out on the volley.

Personally, I don't think its a confidence problem - its a coaching issue. He was decent at Saints, but if you go back and watch a lot of his performances he simply went through the ball. I believe the we are asking Lovren to play a style that he is not accustomed to - and to be honest not many CB's are. Ok, when the pressure is off then come forward with the ball and play out from the back. But when defending I we need to follow the absolute basics - get the ball out of the danger area as quickly as possible. When under pressure clear the ball - allow the midfield to press and win it back. Not fanny about with the ball in the final 3rd and risk allowing our CB to be caught out of position against players who will dispossess them and turn towards goal.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #919: Sep 03, 2015 08:24:19 am
      I agree with Passport boy that Dejan doesn't seem to come across, on the pitch at least as someone suffering from a confidence crisis.

Look at the way he tries to ping cross field passes with the outside of his boot, I can imagine Rodgers is constantly bigging up his "defensive leader" hence why he tries to show his boss look I can do step overs.
      If anything he is delusional thinking he is Beckenbauer!

He was chased out of Lyon for regularly making the mistakes he is now making here. He had a decent 6 months at Saints but that was with Fonte holding his hand and 2 DM's providing him protection something he is not going to get here.

He is not good enough for any Top 10 side and the sooner Rodgers realises the better for LFC.

Quick Reply