Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 308189 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Jan 21, 2017 03:36:14 pm
      Dumb c**t.

Giving away that corner then diving in for the 3rd.

Embarrassing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1381: Jan 21, 2017 03:53:13 pm
      Waste of space.  Never Liverpool quality, get rid.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #1382: Jan 21, 2017 04:01:24 pm
      Was he really that bad today?, I've not seen the full game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1383: Jan 21, 2017 04:06:17 pm

No.

For the first goal, Bobby bottled out of a challenge on the half way line, we lost possession and they went forward. There was an innocuous cross, Fer made a late run into the box and Lovren headed it out for a corner when he didn't need to. From the resulting corner he got beaten in the air on the edge of the box by Hernandez, from the header the ball ricoched inside the box and uin the scramble, Llorente poked it in.

For the second Clyne allowed the cross from wide left, Klavan was comprehensively beaten in the air by Llorente and it was 2-0.

For the third Tom Carroll got on the ball, rode a couple of challenges, it bounced off klavan to Siggurdson who had lost Clyne, he buried it for 3-2.

All Lovrens fault.

Aside from the goals, it wasn't his very best game but he was nowhere near so bad as is being made out on here (just for a change like). 

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1384: Jan 21, 2017 06:02:56 pm

He didn't impress me today.  Some questionable decisions, and wasn't as aggressive in challenges as he needed to be. Neither one of our CB's covered themselves in glory today.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1385: Jan 21, 2017 11:56:42 pm
      He was crap. Can't believe that headed ball out for their first goal. Back up player, we need to sort out someone to play alongside Matip ad make those 2 our first choice CB's.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1386: Jan 22, 2017 01:00:30 am
      Mick you forgot to add Lovren was out of position for the third and over committed to Carolls run.
       Plain for all to see.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #1387: Jan 22, 2017 01:08:38 am

Our defense as a whole is just leftovers of a kids birthday party...all over the place.

I don't  know what goes through their heads sometimes.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1388: Jan 22, 2017 07:53:06 pm
      Not related to this last game, but I never thought and still don't think Lovren is a title-challenging quality CB. I think we all agree Matip is gonna be our main CB for some years to come, and I think he needs a partner other than Lovren.

It's a F***ing shame Sakho is F***ing stupid. I think he was the best CB out of that pair.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1389: Jan 23, 2017 12:27:03 pm
      Not related to this last game, but I never thought and still don't think Lovren is a title-challenging quality CB. I think we all agree Matip is gonna be our main CB for some years to come, and I think he needs a partner other than Lovren.

It's a f**king shame Sakho is f**king stupid. I think he was the best CB out of that pair.
      What about the game before against the Mancs he was Motm.

Matip has been here two minutes and whilst showing quality he's shown through his injury record he's not quite the one we should be building our defense around just as yet.

I think Lovren overall has had a good season and shown overall quality in his game. This Sakho myth needs to stop also only in certain factions of reds fans is he rated so highly and nowhere else.

The top teams of the continent are hardly scampering for his signature that in itself tells us something.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #1390: Jan 23, 2017 02:52:49 pm

Matip has been here two minutes and whilst showing quality he's shown through his injury record he's not quite the one we should be building our defense around just as yet.

I'm agreed re Matip mate.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #1391: Jan 23, 2017 04:27:46 pm

I think Lovren overall has had a good season and shown overall quality in his game. This Sakho myth needs to stop also only in certain factions of reds fans is he rated so highly and nowhere else.

The top teams of the continent are hardly scampering for his signature that in itself tells us something.

I don't think Lovren is as good as you think he is.

He's a good defender, and he does well when he is paired with a strong/top CB like Matip, however, pair him with Lucas, Klavan or Skrtel and he becomes a liability/error prone. He does well with quality players around him. To me he is a 3rd choice defender for a title winning side and a very good squad player.

He's good in the air and is an ok footballer. His positioning is good and I like that he tries to play a higher line to close down the opposition, but lacks technique and a commanding presence that Matip have.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #1392: Jan 23, 2017 04:31:12 pm

It's a f**king shame Sakho is f**king stupid. I think he was the best CB out of that pair.

Was never sold on Sakho, probably same level as Lovren and not better. For a big defender he is surely poor in the air.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1393: Jan 23, 2017 04:33:46 pm
      I don't think Lovren is as good as you think he is.

He's a good defender, and he does well when he is paired with a strong/top CB like Matip, however, pair him with Lucas, Klavan or Skrtel and he becomes a liability/error prone. He does well with quality players around him. To me he is a 3rd choice defender for a title winning side and a very good squad player.

He's good in the air and is an ok footballer. His positioning is good and I like that he tries to play a higher line to close down the opposition, but lacks technique and a commanding presence that Matip have.

I think he's a flapper.
      He's great when everything is going his way, but starts to flap (panic a bit) under pressure.
      Worse still, for me, is that when he makes a mistake, he tries so hard to atone that he ends up making more mistakes, and it starts to become a vicious circle of F**k up after F**k up.

I'd agree with 3rd choice in a title winning side, but the thing that gets me is that he has a lot of ability and his problems seem to be between the ears.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #1394: Jan 23, 2017 04:37:16 pm
      I think he's a flapper.
      He's great when everything is going his way, but starts to flap (panic a bit) under pressure.
      Worse still, for me, is that when he makes a mistake, he tries so hard to atone that he ends up making more mistakes, and it starts to become a vicious circle of f**k up after f**k up.

I'd agree with 3rd choice in a title winning side, but the thing that gets me is that he has a lot of ability and his problems seem to be between the ears.

indeed mate, this is why I think he doesn't do particularly well when he is paired with a player who is below him or on par level as him. Pair him with a Hyypia or a Matip and he becomes a very good defender because he needs that commanding presence. It's probably lack of confidence and ego that lets him down.

Needs to calm down when he makes a mistake.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1395: Jan 23, 2017 04:42:08 pm
      To me he is a 3rd choice defender for a title winning side and a very good squad player.

This sounds about right at the moment. Would you say that was also the case with Skrtel?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #1396: Jan 23, 2017 04:43:46 pm
      This sounds about right at the moment. Would you say that was also the case with Skrtel?

I thought Skrtel was a total liability, 4th or 5th choice for me.

Never rated him and I thought he was our weakest defender in the team before he left.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1397: Jan 23, 2017 04:54:59 pm

Never rated him and I thought he was our weakest defender in the team before he left.

Used to drive me mad.
      We had one CB trying to play a high line, and Skrtel dropping deeper and deeper so that our defense was totally disjointed and out of shape.

I rated Skrtel as a stopper who looked OK playing a deep line, but that's it really.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1398: Jan 23, 2017 05:11:07 pm

For a team playing a high line, he really wasn't great. I wouldn't say he was a total liability though. For me he's probably in that 3rd choice bracket, useful for a squad challenging but probably not a starter.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1399: Jan 23, 2017 08:04:55 pm

1. So what if he was Motm in a certain game? I'm sure that's true even for Klavan or Can at some point. Hell it was true for Andy f**king Carroll at some point. Does that mean they're all great, world-class players?

2. I think I agree with you about Matip. I'm not too sure about his injury record, but if it's bad then surely we don't want to build a defense around him particularly. My point was more about his skill as a player, but yours of course is a fair concern.

3. I don't really agree. I think he's a third choice CB at best. His playing drops 27 notches when not paired with another higher quality CB. I suppose we simply disagree.

4. The 'Sakho myth', really? So what you're saying is pretty much that through enlightment you have obtained the truest purest knowledge about Sakho's ability and your purely objective verdict is that he's sh*t, and those of us who think he's a good CB are all living in a deluded myth? Please show us the golden path, Dadorious-sensei.

All jokes aside, I've never said I think he's the best CB in the world. But better than Lovren? No doubt in my mind. The fact that few if any teams have shown interest in him might be (wild hypothesis) related to the fact that he has shown to be a conflictive/undisciplined player in more than one occasion, so much so that Jürgen (rightly, I suppose) prefers to play Lucas Leiva and Gomes as CBs instead of giving Sakho any more playtime.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1400: Jan 23, 2017 11:18:42 pm
      1. So what if he was Motm in a certain game? I'm sure that's true even for Klavan or Can at some point. Hell it was true for Andy f**king Carroll at some point. Does that mean they're all great, world-class players?

2. I think I agree with you about Matip. I'm not too sure about his injury record, but if it's bad then surely we don't want to build a defense around him particularly. My point was more about his skill as a player, but yours of course is a fair concern.

3. I don't really agree. I think he's a third choice CB at best. His playing drops 27 notches when not paired with another higher quality CB. I suppose we simply disagree.

4. The 'Sakho myth', really? So what you're saying is pretty much that through enlightment you have obtained the truest purest knowledge about Sakho's ability and your purely objective verdict is that he's sh*t, and those of us who think he's a good CB are all living in a deluded myth? Please show us the golden path, Dadorious-sensei.

All jokes aside, I've never said I think he's the best CB in the world. But better than Lovren? No doubt in my mind. The fact that few if any teams have shown interest in him might be (wild hypothesis) related to the fact that he has shown to be a conflictive/undisciplined player in more than one occasion, so much so that Jürgen (rightly, I suppose) prefers to play Lucas Leiva and Gomes as CBs instead of giving Sakho any more playtime.

Don't have time for a detailed response but will say on point 4 maybe Jürgen just doesn't rate him that highly then and sees him as someone not worth flexing the rules for.

Sakhos had 2-3 top games in a red shirt in between a poor injury record and punishment for his indiscretions.

Also not going of the United game there's been a pattern when he's been absolutely dominant in the big games think Everton and City with Klavan next to him and playing on the less preferred right side. Chelsea he was brilliant in too at the Bridge alongside Matip.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #1401: Jan 24, 2017 08:23:56 am
      Used to drive me mad.
      We had one CB trying to play a high line, and Skrtel dropping deeper and deeper so that our defense was totally disjointed and out of shape.

I rated Skrtel as a stopper who looked OK playing a deep line, but that's it really.

Has zero concept of team work too and exposes his partner at some points in the game.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #1402: Jan 24, 2017 08:25:36 am
      For a team playing a high line, he really wasn't great. I wouldn't say he was a total liability though. For me he's probably in that 3rd choice bracket, useful for a squad challenging but probably not a starter.

I would say that Lovren is a better defender overall than Martin. They weren't compatible when paired that's for sure, it was a recipe for disaster and that's why Klopp dropped Skrtel and Lovren looked better without him.

Quick Reply