Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Divock Origi (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 217745 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Re: Divock Origi Player Thread
      Reply #207: Mar 02, 2015 01:34:55 pm
      Mixed bag of output. Lille are sh*te, so that tempers his end product if all you are interested in is the goals scored stat, but what he actually does in games is good. He's getting decent minutes too. Also its worth noting, he is 19, if he finishes the season with 5 goals that will still be exceptional. To put that into context, last season there were 5 teenagers who scored 5 goals in the top leagues of Europe (incidentally 3 of them are now on Liverpool's books).

As I said in another thread, if you are good enough to play regularly in a good league as a teenager, its a very strong bet you'll be an excellent player.
      He has all the attributes to succeed. Pace, good build, trickery, powerful shot. 

It really does seem your views on loaning out promising players is contradictory, you state that Lille are sh*te and so the resulting impression on the player is negative, or to use your own words 'the end product is tempered'. To be expected when using your own words again 'Lille are sh*te'.
      His actual performance level would be considerably enhanced because Lille are as sh*te as you describe.
      He does indeed have all the attributes, so much so it leads me to wonder if any of our former managers such as Dalglish, Paisley, Houllier or Shankly for instance would be agreeable to the practice of putting our young thoroughbreds under the guidance of 'sh*te' teams.

Not having a go here by the way, although you seem to think otherwise, it does puzzle me the way we are in agreement about the lads mentioned and their potential and prospects yet you wish to put them in an arena that you yourself describe in a negative manner; it does seem perverse and interprets as 'if they can struggle through the adversity presented it could improve them'.
      How much better to have a controlled medium with an enhanced ability to monitor progress?
      Definition of LFC's coaching facilities.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #208: Mar 04, 2015 04:26:21 pm
      This lad will suprise a few next season he's been Belgium's no1 striker for over 2yrs now and thats before turning 20. him and sterling and Sturridge as the front 3 will give defenders nightmares as there skill and pace is something you just cant coach to defend against.
      you back off they run at you,
      you close them down they skip past you
      you kick them up in the air you get us a freekick,pen or sent off
      he will get double figures, sterling will get close to double figures and Sturridge will get double figures.. add to that a established goal scorer and we will be back on top
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #209: Mar 04, 2015 05:11:00 pm
      It really does seem your views on loaning out promising players is contradictory, you state that Lille are sh*te and so the resulting impression on the player is negative, or to use your own words 'the end product is tempered'. To be expected when using your own words again 'Lille are sh*te'.
      His actual performance level would be considerably enhanced because Lille are as sh*te as you describe.
      He does indeed have all the attributes, so much so it leads me to wonder if any of our former managers such as Dalglish, Paisley, Houllier or Shankly for instance would be agreeable to the practice of putting our young thoroughbreds under the guidance of 'sh*te' teams.

Not having a go here by the way, although you seem to think otherwise, it does puzzle me the way we are in agreement about the lads mentioned and their potential and prospects yet you wish to put them in an arena that you yourself describe in a negative manner; it does seem perverse and interprets as 'if they can struggle through the adversity presented it could improve them'.
      How much better to have a controlled medium with an enhanced ability to monitor progress?
      Definition of LFC's coaching facilities.

Not at all. Loan a player to a team which have a similar outlook on how to play the game to us then it can be of great benefit. As this is clearly regarding Origi and Ibe I'll use them as examples.
      Derby are very much an attacking team, they are drilled every day to practice attacking movement, and when they get on the pitch they are encouraged to try things and take risks - they are better than their competition so they can do this. This is a good environment to send a young player on loan to. They get plenty of minutes, they develop much faster. They play progressive football.

Lille play dour, dull stuff. They are conservative and rarely play much more sophisticated than a long ball over the top. For a player who is looking to enter a fast paced attacking team next year, this is not a good use of his time. If however, there was reason to believe that Origi would not have got many minutes here (there isn't, but talking hypothetically) this year, and we'd have power to select which team he went on loan to, I wouldn't have been against that. As it stands, I'm pretty certain that the loan back was the contingent on which actually got the player, so it makes little sense for me to whinge about it.

It must also be noted that you assumed I was against the loan, whilst I didn't say I was in my post - it was entirely a post about not being able to judge the player effectively whilst he is. You assumption is actually correct, but this is because I believed Origi was good enough to play for us at the beginning of the year. I am worried about your tendency to argue against what you think I said without actually reading it properly.

As for the other points, football has changed. We used to buy players and we wouldn't see them for six months whilst they played for the reserves. The standard of what constitutes reserve teams has dropped, so loans have become necessary. We have evidence on this front; Dalglish loaned players out in 11/12 (Shelvey that year is an almost identical situation to Ibe)
      You are misunderstand my use of tempered as well. Drop me into Real Madrid, I'll score far more goals than anyone would expect someone of my non-existent talent to score (scoring one would be major upset with the bookies  ;D). Drop a talented player into a poor team and he will score less than one would expect from a player of that caliber. Thus my comment is saying his end product is reduced ceteris paribus and his talented should not be judged solely by the goals scored column. It was not a comment to suggest his development was being held back.

'if they can struggle through the adversity presented it could improve them' - I've not said that or anything like it, so being generous I would describe it as stylistically a very odd choice to put it in quotation marks. As it is entirely a strawman, I don't even see the need to bother responding to it.

It is clear you still aren't getting my argument regarding loans. To summarize briefly; The team you send them to matters, particularly their style of play, but first and foremost minutes are crucial in development. A player will develop more in a worse coaching system (within reason), but playing regularly, than in a better coaching system getting very few minutes. The difference between the coaching levels can be alleviated further if the teams have similar philosophies.
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2015 05:36:30 pm by Thaddeus »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #210: Mar 04, 2015 05:49:04 pm
      Not at all. Loan a player to a team which have a similar outlook on how to play the game to us then it can be of great benefit. As this is clearly regarding Origi and Ibe I'll use them as examples.
      Derby are very much an attacking team, they are drilled every day to practice attacking movement, and when they get on the pitch they are encouraged to try things and take risks - they are better than their competition so they can do this. This is a good environment to send a young player on loan to. They get plenty of minutes, they develop much faster. They play progressive football.

My statement regarding Derby is still valid irrespective of your efforts to make sh*te glisten, they are a second tier side with all that implies.

Lille play dour, dull stuff. They are conservative and rarely play much more sophisticated than a long ball over the top. For a player who is looking to enter a fast paced attacking team next year, this is not a good use of his time. If however, there was reason to believe that Origi would not have got many minutes here (there isn't, but talking hypothetically) this year, and we'd have power to select which team he went on loan to, I wouldn't have been against that. As it stands, I'm pretty certain that the loan back was the contingent on which actually got the player, so it makes little sense for me to whinge about it.

There may have been a contractual stipulation to the effect that he was loaned back no doubt to avoid a heavier fee, that is indeed a false economy if correct.

It must also be noted that you assumed I was against the loan, whilst I didn't say I was in my post - it was entirely a post about not being able to judge the player effectively whilst he is. You assumption is actually correct, but this is because I believed Origi was good enough to play for us at the beginning of the year. I am worried about your tendency to argue against what you think I said without actually reading it properly.

Your assumption is also incorrect.

As for the other points, football has changed. We used to buy players and we wouldn't see them for six months whilst they played for the reserves. The standard of what constitutes reserve teams has dropped, so loans have become necessary. We have evidence on this front; Dalglish loaned players out in 11/12 (Shelvey that year is an almost identical situation to Ibe)
      You are misunderstand my use of tempered as well. Drop me into Real Madrid, I'll score far more goals than anyone would expect someone of my non-existent talent to score (scoring one would be major upset with the bookies  ;D). Drop a talented player into a poor team and he will score less than one would expect from a player of that caliber. Thus my comment is saying his end product is reduced ceteris paribus and his talented should not be judged solely by the goals scored column. It was not a comment to suggest his development was being held back.

'if they can struggle through the adversity presented it could improve them' - I've not said that or anything like it, so being generous I would describe it as stylistically a very odd choice to put it in quotation marks. As it is entirely a strawman, I don't even see the need to bother responding to it.

It is clear you still aren't getting my argument regarding loans. To summarize briefly; The team you send them to matters, particularly their style of play, but first and foremost minutes are crucial in development. A player will develop more in a worse coaching system (within reason), but playing regularly, than in a better coaching system getting very few minutes. The difference between the coaching levels can be alleviated further if the teams have similar philosophies.

You will struggle to present a debate on the record of past managers that I mentioned when you pigeon hole one, Dalglish when I offered Houllier, Paisley and Shankly as examples of managers who were reluctant to loan players out.
      You also rather disingenuously, refer to a time with reference to Dalglish when he did loan players out in the 11/12 season - which owners would that be under?

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2015 06:02:08 pm by stuey »
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #211: Mar 04, 2015 06:13:54 pm
      My statement regarding Derby is still valid irrespective of your efforts to make sh*te glisten, they are a second tier side with all that implies.

It is a second tier side. It is a second tier side where he was coached in attacking football, and getting significant minutes. It was better for his development to get more minutes at a worse side, than very few here.

There may have been a contractual stipulation to the effect that he was loaned back no doubt to avoid a heavier fee, that is indeed a false economy if correct.

Read what I wrote.

Your assumption is also incorrect.

A prime example of you not reading what I wrote. I said your assumption was correct - ie if I had my choice I wouldn't have loaned him at the beginning of the year. It makes no sense to say mine is also incorrect. Please read what I wrote.

You will struggle to present a debate on the record of past managers that I mentioned when you pigeon hole one, Dalglish when I offered Houllier, Paisley and Shankly as examples of managers who were reluctant to loan players out.
      You also rather disingenuously, refer to a time with reference to Dalglish when he did loan players out in the 11/12 season - which owners would that be under?
      It is very ironic to refer to what I write as disingenuous given you have not present one of my arguments correctly. Seeing as you make no effort to respond to my arguments (the ones I make, rather than the ones you think I am making) I am become tired of responding to yours.

I shall finish with this:
      Arguments to authority are not always compelling, but when every professional in the business, and every the way every successful academy is run disagrees with your opinion, it becomes rather more likely you are wrong. This isn't even a contested fact. If a player won't get minutes with your team but you want him to develop you loan him.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #212: Mar 04, 2015 06:17:14 pm
      I am willing to discuss any topic, but it is a baer minimum standard that I have that whomever I debate with actually reads what I write (or listens if the medium of the discussion is face to face). You have failed to meet this standard egregiously. If at any point you actually wish to debate this point rather than set-up strawmen or make non-sequiters I am willing to engage.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #213: Mar 04, 2015 06:22:00 pm
      This lad has never even played a game for us and he is already generating controversy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #214: Mar 04, 2015 06:26:31 pm
      I am willing to discuss any topic, but it is a baer minimum standard that I have that whomever I debate with actually reads what I write (or listens if the medium of the discussion is face to face). You have failed to meet this standard egregiously. If at any point you actually wish to debate this point rather than set-up strawmen or make non-sequiters I am willing to engage.

Entirely your impression and if I may say a very affected point of view to ingratiate your opinions.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #215: Mar 04, 2015 06:41:01 pm

It's the very reason I don't give him pissing time.

Throws out a lot of (what he thinks are) big words to cover up a complete lack of knowledge.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #216: Mar 04, 2015 06:42:03 pm
      I don't know why there is any debate whatsoever about Origi's loan. We would not have signed him at the price we did unless he was loaned back to the very club we were buying him from.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #217: Mar 04, 2015 06:45:07 pm
      I don't know why there is any debate whatsoever about Origi's loan. We would not have signed him at the price we did unless he was loaned back to the very club we were buying him from.

There isn't really.
      This has come from a different debate about Ibe's loan period at Derby and spilled over to Origi, with one wingnut insisting that loans have been for "financial" purposes rather than improving players, which is F***ing hilarious when you consider that the players were earning little, that we paid a portion of their wages and that Ibe was given a new contract more or less straight away on his return.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #218: Mar 04, 2015 06:50:17 pm
      There isn't really.
      This has come from a different debate about Ibe's loan period at Derby and spilled over to Origi, with one wingnut insisting that loans have been for "financial" purposes rather than improving players, which is f**king hilarious when you consider that the players were earning little, that we paid a portion of their wages and that Ibe was given a new contract more or less straight away on his return.

Yeah the players we're loaning out are Academy graduates, so it's not like they have big contracts a la the annual Aquilani loan.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #219: Mar 04, 2015 07:12:46 pm
      I think we would've got him cheaper now than in the summer to be fair, but then again another club could have snatched him then.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #220: Mar 05, 2015 12:03:47 am
      We may have got him cheaper this summer.  But I very much doubt we would have gone for him with his record this season.  I think he may have gone to a lesser team. 
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #221: Mar 05, 2015 03:22:04 am
      I think we would've got him cheaper now than in the summer to be fair, but then again another club could have snatched him then.

brilliant post. i might have had a glass of milk this morning, if i chose to
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #222: Mar 05, 2015 08:13:31 am
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #223: Mar 05, 2015 08:55:46 am
      This lad has never even played a game for us and he is already generating controversy.

And you're not even the one starting it!

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #224: Mar 05, 2015 09:18:44 am
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #225: Mar 05, 2015 12:45:54 pm
      give the lad a chance! so many negative fans out there once he's played for us till xmas then we can start to sort of judge him but until he's had a full season playing in England we can compare what he's done in the frog league for a rubbish team that dont supply service to  him.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #226: Mar 08, 2015 10:10:54 am
      give the lad a chance! so many negative fans out there once he's played for us till xmas then we can start to sort of judge him but until he's had a full season playing in England we can compare what he's done in the frog league for a rubbish team that dont supply service to  him.

Exactly this is the problem, him not scoring/playing well in a league which is inferior to EPL doesn't give too many hopes of him succeding in England.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #227: Mar 15, 2015 02:29:56 pm
      Goals are like buses. None for ages then 2 come along at once.
      Less obtusely, he's scored twice so far against Rennes. Takes him level with Benzema's contribution from the same age.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #228: Mar 15, 2015 02:32:10 pm
      F**k me, he's got his hat-trick
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #229: Mar 15, 2015 03:32:45 pm
      :laugh:

Hopefully it gives him the boost he needs until the end of the season.

Quick Reply