Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we be happy?

Liverpool win?
      14 (60.9%)
      Man City win?
      5 (21.7%)
      Draw
      4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

LFC 2-2 Man City [LFC win on pens]: Pre Match, In Game and Post Match Chat

Read 18530 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: LFC vs Man City: Pre Match and in Game Chat KO 12:10am BST 31/7
      Reply #345: Jul 31, 2014 02:17:55 am
      Remmember half an hour ago when some of you were flapping about the gulf in class and all this 'eyeopener' stuff?

It's pre-season. Means bugger all. Good day out for the fans across the pond and abit of a taster for those back here, but in general, they're dis-jointed, irrelvant affairs with the main aims of fitness and avoiding injuries. The real eye opener comes when Southampton arrive at Anfield. Then we find out what life is really like after Luis the mad b***ard.

Decent game to watch though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #346: Jul 31, 2014 02:18:09 am
      Yes sir! Always love to win. That'll give the team a bit of a boost.

Our defence was F***ing sh*te but hopefully our first choice back four will mend that.

Sterling is magic.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #347: Jul 31, 2014 02:18:27 am
      Brilliant.

Worth staying up for, Caan just oozes class.

Think Sterling could be our "star man" next season.

Final against UTD please, so we can tw*t them and then go on and beat Dortmund and start our season with a bang.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #348: Jul 31, 2014 02:18:56 am
      Lucas had a good showing.  He's got a job to do this season,  largely off the bench, but he'll prove to be an important component
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #349: Jul 31, 2014 02:20:52 am
      Lucas had a good showing.  He's got a job to do this season,  largely off the bench, but he'll prove to be an important component

Is Brendan brave enough to bench Gerrard if Lucas is in supreme form? Think Lucas is up for the challenge.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #350: Jul 31, 2014 02:24:50 am
      Superb game that, second half especially.

Their goals were our errors, our goals were (as DLS said), us carving them open like a Sunday roast.

Is Brendan brave enough to bench Gerrard if Lucas is in supreme form? Think Lucas is up for the challenge.

I reckon so, yes. Lucas could turn out to be essential this season.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #351: Jul 31, 2014 02:27:23 am
      Speaking for the subs that come in.   I think that Lucas and Can work really good together.  Sakho had good vision from the back with his outlet passing. Glenn looked sh*te.

On a side note..  it was cool seeing Austin Powers in a Liverpool kit, sharing box seats with James Bond.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #352: Jul 31, 2014 02:30:21 am
      Some thoughts on the game:

1) Sterling should be the first name on the teamsheet this season.

2) Coates has looked very, very sharp all preseason.  Looks a different player

3) I think we're getting to the point where we should ask whether or not Stevie should be starting game in and game out.  Yes, he's the only player in the squad capable of consistently playing those cross-field diagonal balls that unlock defenses, but is that really worth it considering his increasingly limited mobility, that he's not a true DM and that he's being played out of position?  I wouldn't mind at all seeing a midfield with Can as the starting DM (his best position) plus Henderson plus someone else.

4) Fernando looks a player for City.  The same Fernando who a lot of our supporters turned their noses up at in January when we were rumoured to be in for him.

5) How is it that Rodgers, the manager with the Midas touch, has failed to improve Coutinho's shooting ability in more than a year and a half of coaching him?

6) Why is Pepe not getting minutes at all, despite having arrived back in training EARLIER than Mignolet?

7) time for Johnson to go.  I love the way he used to play and I still live in hope that he'll cut in from the right and plant a screamer in the top corner like he did at West Ham a few years back.  But he doesn't put in any effort anymore.  It's cringeworthy. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #353: Jul 31, 2014 02:30:21 am
      I'm still reeling from Lucas nailing that pen. And nicely by the way. Really thought he'd miss.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #354: Jul 31, 2014 02:31:26 am
      We are in dire need for fullbacks! If it wasn't evident before, it certainly is now that they are simply not good enough...Robinson, Kelly, Johnson...
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #355: Jul 31, 2014 02:32:37 am
      I'm still reeling from Lucas nailing that pen. And nicely by the way. Really thought he'd miss.

;D yea, Hart went flopping over and the look on his face, priceless.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #356: Jul 31, 2014 02:40:40 am
      Defensive side wasn't great again. Our full backs got exposed numerous of times, It's becoming increasingly concerning. I really think playing 2 sitting midfielders would help, or maybe having a pure defensive midfielder.

Offensively, the majority of our failed attacks that ended up with nothing was down to us looking for that quick killer pass instead of building it up slowly, or looking for Coutinho. We need more patience if we want things to happen in the final third.

Finally, I thought Lucas coming on helped control the middle. His short passing and composure are really superb. I actually think that maybe Lucas feels more comfortable sitting there alone rather than having a partner, maybe it's something we should explore.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #357: Jul 31, 2014 02:58:00 am
      Yea when Lucas and Sakho came on, our attack went into beast mode once they got settled in.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #358: Jul 31, 2014 03:07:39 am
      I only saw the second half and the shoot out. Some observations:

Firstly, we should be playing Premiership teams in our pre-season more often. The tempo of that game was akin to what you'd see on a weekend in England during the football season and thus was an excellent work out for the lads. It was entertaining too which saw plenty of opportunities.

For all the waxing lyrical about how strong Citeh were and how much Citeh shaded it, I think as usual the commentators wrote Liverpool down at their peril. Yes, Citeh did look very organised when they were behind the ball and broke with speed and exploited both flanks on occasions but our lads kept going with the probing and passing and it paid off with two wonderful goals.

I agree with the consensus that full back, both left and right is a concern and we could improve there, I thought Robinson did okay, got skinned once or twice by Navas but early on the second half he got forward and was denied a goal by a good onrushing save from Hart - who made a good few of those saves. Unfortunately for Robinson he's only going to be a run of the meal player and although he was fairly solid but it's still one we could improve on. I hope Enrique can get up to speed because as a defender I do rate him and he is quite pacey too.

Coates, I know a few rate him and like Robinson I don't think he's going to get much better than he already is and therefore isn't an improvement on what we already have. He got turned, or was caught for Citeh's second goal too easily for me. He also got beaten a couple of times by the skill and pace of their wide attacks. Incidentally, this is the kind of opposition where ball playing CB's like Agger and Lovren? do well, when opponents mostly attack on the deck - they read and time things better do the likes of Agger and Lovren and Skertel to a lesser effect. Coates is good in the air and is good against the long ball merchants of football IMO, the Prem still has a fair few teams playing that 'English' way. But on the deck defensively he looks just a little cumbersome to me - he could be rusty and I could too critical here.

I should pop into the 'Starting Eleven' thread by WAHS and revise my eleven by popping Henderson back into my line-up at the expense of Markovic because while he isn't the most flamboyant player he has fitness levels Dirk Kuyt would drool over. The energy, work rate and the positions he finds himself in are nothing short of excellent. He scored a peach of a goal by getting forward and clearly has the license and energy to do this. I think the lad still lacks a little confidence (oh, he scored a beaut penalty too) and composure in the final third because he could/should be hitting 15 goals a season at least with the positions he finds himself in. I think he was my man of the match.

Sterling, well I was a bit worried about him not being under the wing of Suarez anymore because he's now been left a little more open to the added pressure of helping out the attack. But if he continues in this kind of vein he'll have no problems, his finish for that goal was cool and it was a lovely move of the... one-touch-probing-passing that we're capable of, and it was the tidy Lucas (nice pen btw!!) who laid him off to finish another excellent goal. It will be very interesting watching Sterling develop this year with a little more responsibility but already he looks as though it won't bother him and he'll just continue to flourish.

Coutinho - has an air of Luis Garcia about him, in one moment he can do the brilliant then in the next fails to do the basic. He is a very good player mind, who like Sterling will have a big season but he needs to be as consistent as Sterling and for me at the moment he isn't quite there. As for his shooting, well, he'd be the ideal guerrilla warfare soldier - planting explosives because he wouldn't kill anyone with his shooting would he. Still, he's good to have in the team because he does seem to have the vision that not many other players have and has the ability to play those balls that unlock defenses.

It was good to see Sahko get some minutes, I'd like to see him paired with Lovren for a bit so a partnership can form I think the two from the little I have seen of Lovren may be able to compliment each other.

Gerrard: Was okay. He tried to cover the the cross from the left but the timing was out to clear it and I think it went through his legs. Other than that he put in a steady performance in the middle of midfield.

Can: He looked okay too, nicely taken pen as well. Put a couple of players on their @rses a couple of times, had an effort on goal. Not sure what his natural game is, he looks at the moment to me like a box to box type midfielder rather than a holding one but given that he's got a bit of a name for being versatile he maybe asked to hold more to enable Henderson or Lallana the attacking license.

Sturridge: Had a brief conversation with S@int about him in another thread, and while Trevor Francis was was waxing lyrical about him playing the lone striker role I'm not so sure - even though I had him in that role too. Suarez was the perfect support and foil for him although the pair of them often looked in competition with each other as they did team mates. He tends to drop deep quite a bit to collect he ball and often looks up and realises he's not upfront to pass it to  ;D. I think it will be up to the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson and Markovic to fill those positions in that phase of play. I know Sterling has the shooting boots to take it on but generally these lads are going to have to be more clinical in front of goal. It wouldn't surprise me either in this system where Sturridge is the lone striker, to see him struggle to get 20 goals this season as I don't think it's suited to getting the best goals return out of him - whereas it requires and is suited to getting more out of the players around him.

One other thing, Mignolet's save against, Navas was it? What a fvcking save that was from the spot got down super quick with a solid arm to save that pen.
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2014 03:33:12 am by Beerbelly »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #359: Jul 31, 2014 03:28:24 am
      Sterling and Origi are going to be unstoppable two seasons from now. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #360: Jul 31, 2014 04:12:54 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #361: Jul 31, 2014 04:31:36 am
      If I'm not mistaken, i saw John Oliver was there too?
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #362: Jul 31, 2014 05:24:06 am
      Just got back from the game, What a great time. 98% Reds in the crowd. Full House.

Can, Hendo, Sterling were really impressive to me. Is it possible Raheem is even quicker than last season? He looked it. What a star in the making.  Coutinho needs some more target practice, but he does get himself into good positions.

Back 4 looked a bit shaky. But only one of them will probably be in the first XI on opening day.

Had a great time all around. Met a few lads from Liverpool in the pub before the match. They convinced me to get my ass over there this season , as if i needed it, ;D .  I know it's only pre-season but for me to get a chance to see the Reds play in the Bronx was priceless.

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #363: Jul 31, 2014 06:41:44 am
      Too tired last night to comment much after the game, but I thought we came back well.

Henderson had a quiet first half, but just got stronger the longer the game went on, great finish too. Coutinho drifted in and out of the game a little more than I would like but was again our most creative player.... if only he could shoot!

I don't think Sturridge and Lambert were a very good partnership and would really like to see Sterling and Sturridge tried up front together in the next game.

Sterling was on fire and could have had 2 or 3 goals with a little luck. Can looked good impressed me again.

I know a lot though Coates had a great game, but I didn't....

Lot of positives to take from the game... sadly none of them was in our defense. Although to be fair Sakho when he came on did nothing wrong and played some very nice passes.

Enjoyable hard fought game, winning on pens just made it that little bit better.   
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #364: Jul 31, 2014 07:28:38 am
      Well done to the boys for getting the better of City. It would have been disappointing for so many reds in the stadium to see City win it. It also lays down the marker that Liverpool won't roll over to City or Chelsea just because Suarez is gone.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #365: Jul 31, 2014 07:49:04 am
      well done  to the whole squad,  Rodgers, and the fans who nearly filled the stadium in RED
       second half was very much better when, lucas, Can, sakho , sterling came in, hendo was a beast
      Coates was good  too, noticed he has improved a lot after his injury
       weakest links was clear, , our defensive flanks, Navas and kolorov made it more evident
      YNWA
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #366: Jul 31, 2014 07:58:16 am
      Haha what an epic game, love what happened, nice... HAHHAHAHA
      I came here just to laugh like a nutter, I've only just watched this game today, couldn't stay up yesterday.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #367: Jul 31, 2014 08:03:37 am
      Have the game on record. Will watch the 2nd half later. Great result though. Sounds like Raheem was the boss. Love it! Would love us to get to the final of this thang and smash the Mancs.

Quick Reply