Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will we finish in the League?

1st
      67 (36.6%)
      2nd
      14 (7.7%)
      3rd
      54 (29.5%)
      4th
      32 (17.5%)
      5th-6th
      15 (8.2%)
      7th-9th
      0 (0%)
      10th-15th
      0 (0%)
      Below 15th
      1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Voting closed: Aug 17, 2014 03:56:46 pm

LFC - Premier League Finish Predictions 2014/15

Read 13205 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: LFC - Premier League Finish Predictions 2014/15
      Reply #46: Aug 10, 2014 11:35:46 am
      I like to think we'll finish in the top two, possibly first, but that depends on the next two weeks.

If we get Moreno, move Sterling up front, buy another top drawer 'striker', stick Couts in the centre, Lallana out wide, Markovic as the other wide, mix it up like we do, stay injury free, with the defence sorted, I believe we'll have a great chance to finish top. However, if it stays exactly like they are, I think we'll struggle to finish in the top four; that extra top striker opens up many more options for us

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #47: Aug 10, 2014 03:41:24 pm
      I voted 5th because I genuinely don't feel we've spent well in this window. We lack experience and talent and now look to depend upon an injury prone striker after having sold our best player. Our squad maybe stronger than last year but our "first" eleven most certainly is not. By contrast, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all spent big in key areas and City held on to their key players. Had any other team in the Permiership taken Rodgers' scatter gun approach to transfers this Summer, not one of you would give them a prayer. I'd love to be proven wrong but if I'm not and we do finish out side of the top 4, having spent so much money on dross, for me, Rodgers' position is untenable. It might not be the popular view but at least I have the balls to come out and say it.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #48: Aug 10, 2014 03:50:35 pm
      I voted 5th because I genuinely don't feel we've spent well in this window. We lack experience and talent and now look to depend upon an injury prone striker after having sold our best player. Our squad maybe stronger than last year but our "first" eleven most certainly is not. By contrast, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all spent big in key areas and City held on to their key players. Had any other team in the Permiership taken Rodgers' scatter gun approach to transfers this Summer, not one of you would give them a prayer. I'd love to be proven wrong but if I'm not and we do finish out side of the top 4, having spent so much money on dross, for me, Rodgers' position is untenable. It might not be the popular view but at least I have the balls to come out and say it.

United have failed to sign anymore defenders, and their defense looks beyond horrible. They lack another Centre mid or two as well.

Chelsea definitely have strengthened, I will give you that.

Arsenal got a great player in Sanchez, but he still does not play centrally. That is one thing they also lack.

City will be strong, yet they have not spent really any money this window. Keeping their players is a good transfer window for them, they do not really need anything else.

Winning the league will not be easy. But we have drastically improved our defense with Lovren, Manquillo and the pending transfer of Moreno. We have added quality depth as well quality players who can start, in my eyes.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #49: Aug 10, 2014 05:24:58 pm
      United have failed to sign anymore defenders, and their defense looks beyond horrible. They lack another Centre mid or two as well.

Arsenal got a great player in Sanchez, but he still does not play centrally. That is one thing they also lack.

City will be strong, yet they have not spent really any money this window. Keeping their players is a good transfer window for them, they do not really need anything else.

Winning the league will not be easy. But we have drastically improved our defense with Lovren, Manquillo and the pending transfer of Moreno. We have added quality depth as well quality players who can start, in my eyes.

You have to measure our reduction in strength against their increase in strength, our "outs" against their "ins" and vice versa. We lost our best player, none of the others did. We failed to add experience to an inexperienced team, the others added experience to their already experienced teams. We weakened our key strength from last season, the others strengthened their key weak areas from last season. It's all relative. If we'd strengthened the back line, goal keeper and either kept Suarez or replaced him with a top striker, I'd say we'll put another title challenge in. As it stands, I'm not very enamoured with our signings and frankly don't think they're good enough. Like I said, hopefully they'll prove me wrong but that's how I feel.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #50: Aug 10, 2014 06:10:38 pm

I must be the only one who thinks Fabregas is overrated and Diego Costa might struggle with the pace of the league - after all he's only had one brilliant season.

Seriously, I watched a Champions League game with Arsenal v Barca a few years back and Wilshere looked far better than Fabregas, who was non-existent and has the leadership traits of a blindman leading an army through a minefield.

The fact that Arsenal didn't even want him says it all (and he sure as hell was desperate to go back to Arsenal) and the fact he was meant to be the successor to Xavi in Barca - well that worked out well didn't it. Even in a declining Barca side he couldn't stamp his mark.

Most overrated transfer this summer for sure. Plus, Chelsea don't even play to his strengths like Arsenal or Barca. A small player who is not that physically adept will see the ball fly over his head constantly at Stamford Bridge - he'll be easier to handle than Lampard.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #51: Aug 10, 2014 06:26:14 pm
      I must be the only one who thinks Fabregas is overrated and Diego Costa might struggle with the pace of the league - after all he's only had one brilliant season.

Seriously, I watched a Champions League game with Arsenal v Barca a few years back and Wilshere looked far better than Fabregas, who was non-existent and has the leadership traits of a blindman leading an army through a minefield.

The fact that Arsenal didn't even want him says it all (and he sure as hell was desperate to go back to Arsenal) and the fact he was meant to be the successor to Xavi in Barca - well that worked out well didn't it. Even in a declining Barca side he couldn't stamp his mark.

Most overrated transfer this summer for sure. Plus, Chelsea don't even play to his strengths like Arsenal or Barca. A small player who is not that physically adept will see the ball fly over his head constantly at Stamford Bridge - he'll be easier to handle than Lampard.

Think Costa will be a big improvement for them but agree with everything you said about Fabregas. Chelsea play too much on the break and that wont play to Cesc's strengths at all, Barca should have been the perfect fit, camping outside an opponents box, flooding the penalty area with options and quick attackers all around. The fact they've let him go does seem to speak volumes.

Rate Coutinho ahead of him already by quite a distance personally.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #52: Aug 10, 2014 10:18:00 pm
      How the hell anyone who watched the game today can state that we have not strengthened this summer is beyond me. Lovren already looks a brilliant addition, so those Can, Lallana is proven in the premiership, Manquilo also looked very good. Yes we will miss Luis but as I've said before this team has plenty of fire power and it now looks like we are much more solid in midfield and defence. If we can add Moreno and a decent striker to the window then I really think we can push for the title
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Aug 10, 2014 10:30:16 pm
      As it stands 3rd.
      World Class striker and Left Back 1st.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #54: Aug 11, 2014 12:38:08 am
      How the hell anyone who watched the game today can state that we have not strengthened this summer is beyond me. Lovren already looks a brilliant addition, so those Can, Lallana is proven in the premiership, Manquilo also looked very good. Yes we will miss Luis but as I've said before this team has plenty of fire power and it now looks like we are much more solid in midfield and defence. If we can add Moreno and a decent striker to the window then I really think we can push for the title

That game today was a pre-season friendly. It has little to no bearing on how we'll do this season any more than the defeat to United does. Over the course of an entire season, what happens when Sturridge gets injured? He's injury prone so it's going to happen sooner or later. Is Lambert the guy to play up front on his own, leading the attack? Is Borini, assuming he stays? What if he leaves? Or perhaps you prefer Sterling to play as a False 9? Seriously, think about this for a moment. Just how strong is our attack? You might get 10 goals from Lallana, two or three from Lovren, Sterling will probably be in double figures himself as well. But is that really going to win us the EPL or allow us to progress far in the UCL? What if Lallana or Sterling get injured too? Where are the goals going to come from then? And just how much experience do these new signings of ours have in the UCL? Can has seven appearences, Markovic has three minutes, the rest don't have any. Think about this for a moment. Have we really strengthened our attacking depth that much? If we sign a top striker with a proven goal record and a good amount of UCL experience then I'll revise my opinion but this poll has gone up before the window has closed so opinions can only be formed on the basis of what we've signed so far and with that in mind, this window has been one huge gamble for us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #55: Aug 11, 2014 01:48:56 pm
      I have changed from 3rd to 1st.I put 3rd because of missing Luis's goals but having seen the lads yesterday we will still score loads of goals but we will have far more clean sheets so I can see us being right up there come next May
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #56: Aug 11, 2014 02:05:55 pm
      I have changed from 3rd to 1st.I put 3rd because of missing Luis's goals but having seen the lads yesterday we will still score loads of goals but we will have far more clean sheets so I can see us being right up there come next May

I hope Brendan is not as easily convinced as you mate or he may not even bother looking for another striker :)

Seriously, one friendly against a team that played with a high back line that didn't seem to mind how many times we got behind them is not proof positive that we will score as freely once the season starts.

We played great against Dortmund, that doesn't mean our problems are behind us.... just as losing to the mancs didn't mean our season was over before it started.

The one thing I agree with is that our defence looked better than it has for a while and I am pretty confident that if we can avoid too many injuries we will not be conceding 50 goals this season.

Sadly I don't see us scoring 100+ goals either, almost certainly not unless we bring in another good striker.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #57: Aug 11, 2014 02:16:44 pm
      That game today was a pre-season friendly. It has little to no bearing on how we'll do this season any more than the defeat to United does. Over the course of an entire season, what happens when Sturridge gets injured? He's injury prone so it's going to happen sooner or later. Is Lambert the guy to play up front on his own, leading the attack? Is Borini, assuming he stays? What if he leaves? Or perhaps you prefer Sterling to play as a False 9? Seriously, think about this for a moment. Just how strong is our attack? You might get 10 goals from Lallana, two or three from Lovren, Sterling will probably be in double figures himself as well. But is that really going to win us the EPL or allow us to progress far in the UCL? What if Lallana or Sterling get injured too? Where are the goals going to come from then? And just how much experience do these new signings of ours have in the UCL? Can has seven appearences, Markovic has three minutes, the rest don't have any. Think about this for a moment. Have we really strengthened our attacking depth that much? If we sign a top striker with a proven goal record and a good amount of UCL experience then I'll revise my opinion but this poll has gone up before the window has closed so opinions can only be formed on the basis of what we've signed so far and with that in mind, this window has been one huge gamble for us.

So we loose one excellent striker, gain 2 very good defender, 3 very good midfielders and 1 very useful impact sub striker and you see that as us weakening, by that reckoning when Barcelona get superman, aka Suarez, playing then they'll presumably win La Liga at a canter, the Champions League with ease etc etc. It just doesn't work that way, from what I've seen the team has plenty of goals in it but its now looks much more balanced with genuine strength in depth. I would love for us to get another striker in and I think Moreno will sign before the start of the season but even if they don't  think we will have a very good season and a damn good run in the CL.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #58: Aug 11, 2014 02:52:17 pm
      As it stands - 4th. We get in Moreno and one or two top forwards then I feel we can be competing. If we just get in Moreno and Bony 3rd-4th, but if we in Moreno and Cavani or Reus I'd make us serious title contenders.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Re: Premier League Table Predictions 2014/15
      Reply #59: Aug 11, 2014 03:13:34 pm
      Bit confused, why are Arsenal going to be so much better than last season, is it just because of Sanchez? Personally I think we are a much much better team this season than last, far more options and strength in depth. Yes we'll miss Luis but there are plenty of goals in our team as it stands and if we can get another top striker in then we really should be pushing for top spot.

This. I honestly believe that it's the way brendan sets up the team that contributes to so many goals. And with Lovren at the back I think it's going to be a solid team.

Sterling will have a phenomenal season. I believe this boy will be one of the best players in the world within 3 seasons. Slap a £100m clause in that contact ASAP.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #60: Aug 11, 2014 10:03:20 pm
      4th tbh gives time for the new players to settle into the side. Although after the game yesterday, perhaps I am being a bit on the cautious side. One thing for certain there will be plenty of entertaining football the way Brendan sets up the side.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #61: Aug 12, 2014 12:09:26 am
      I can see this season being a weird one.

1) Liverpool
      2) Manure
      3) Chelski
      4) Gunners
      5) Citee
      6) Toffees
      7) Spuds
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #62: Aug 12, 2014 06:09:12 am
      I reckon we will finish 3rd.

I can't see past City and Chelsea for the top spots, they have strengthened their squads considerably... not necessarily the first XI but their back up are of a quality that most can't afford in their first XI. If it clicks at City they could even have the potential to genuinely battle on 4 fronts. As for Chelsea, Mourinho made a point of saying that they weren't ready last season and went on record as saying that this year will be their title charge. And if Costa even produces half of what he did for Atletico last season it will be an improvement for them up top. All bias aside, right now, I think those two are just that bit stronger than the rest of the challengers.

I don't see Arsenal as any stronger than last season, and unless they replace Vermalen then I see them as weaker to be honest and once again without a real leader as captain. I expect the usual quick start and annual implosion around February.

The mancs are still in their honeymoon period with Van Gaal. I do think he will have them well drilled and they will be harder to beat but aside from their Rooney, Van Persie and Mata they still lack the quality of player they used to have in abundance. I also don't think you can lose the knowledge and experience of Vidic and Ferdinand at center half and not expect to struggle? I think they will challenge for Top 4 and will end up in a race with Arsenal for 4th and maybe even Everton?

The bitters actually have the look of a team going forward for the first time in years. Tying down the likes of Barkley and signing Barry and Lukaku permanently are signs of intent. I know very little about this Besic lad but apparently he has some quality to him. If they go out of the cups early and have a clear focus on the league they will add plenty of twists and turns. I don't think they have the quality of the "Big 5" but on their day they will cause upsets.

I think Spurs will fall flat on their faces. They have failed to strengthen an already imbalanced side. Maybe Levy is losing interest? I think Pocchetino took on a poisoned chalice and he is being set up to fail. I reckon Newcastle will beat them to 7th.

As for us... I think the added challenge of Champions League football will have a huge affect on us. Obviously it's a competition we want to do well in, and (Group draw permitting) a relatively "easy" group could set us up nicely in the league. Otherwise we need to be patient and accept some mistakes will be made away at Palace etc. after an away game in Europe mid week. I would expect us to get through to the knock out stages and that will take it's own toll on us, another 8 games minimum, 4 of which across europe. We also tend to forget we were knocked out of the cups very early last season, allowing us to focus solely on the league. Brendan will know it's trophies that matter, and if he thinks we have a good shot at winning a cup and finishing Top 3 he will go for it, and rightly so.

Everyone knows what we're about now, we're not a surprise package anymore. Teams are going to look to lock us out and we are going to have a few frustrating games. Our mantra last season seemed very much a case of "We're going to outscore you". This season that won't be as straight forward and to truly progress we will need to plug the holes at the back, Lovren and Manquillo look like good starts at that. I don't want to bang the Suarez drum, but there are goals to replace. I fully expect Sterling, Coutinho and Henderson to up their goals this season as well as the new arrivals.

If we can keep everyone fit, play the we know we can consistently and keep Anfield the fortress we have made it, then I would like to see a strong cup run, progress to the knockout stages of the Champions League, and 3rd in the League, to me that would be a success this year. When Brendan came in it was year 0. Starting over, we have been a team in transition and growing. One good title challenge doesn't mean we're the finished article. We are still growing and developing, and if we want to fight for and win the league on a consistent basis then we first have to gain Champions League football on a consistent basis, and build from there.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #63: Aug 12, 2014 09:52:52 am
      1-Man city 2-Chelsea 3-Man utd ( a clever manager , no CL football )4- Arsenal or Liverpool ( I think arsenal will start great again but as soon as someone injured they will fall , for us we need not to lose points and have a great start)

scum have as much chance of finishing above as the elephant man getting laid.

1) Liverpool
      2) City
      3) Chavski
      4) Arsenal
      somewhere where nobody gives a sh*t) Scum
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #64: Aug 12, 2014 12:57:32 pm
      1. Chelsea
      2. Man City
      3. Arsenal
      4. Liverpool
      5. Mancs
      6. Spurs
      7. Newcastle
      8. Everton
      9. Stoke
      10. Hull
      11. Palace
      12. West Ham
      13. Villa
      14. Swansea
      15. QPR
      16. Southampton
      17. WBA
      18. Sunderland
      19. Leicester
      20. Burnley
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #65: Aug 12, 2014 01:34:53 pm
      Sure I saw on sly sports earlier we are 5th favourites for the league....

staggering

Yeah. Same assholes last year who said we would finish mid table, Rodgers would be sacked by January and that Moyes was finally going to win the Title. 

So, they can suck my balloon knot.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #66: Aug 12, 2014 01:54:24 pm
      I find it more staggering that some expect us to challenge for the title this season.

We will struggle without Suarez. As many have already said, no matter what the score was at the time or how ever long was left on the clock in our games last season, as long as Luis was on the pitch I always felt like we would win. He is simply that good.

Our attack next season is Sturridge (who will never play 50 games a season no chance) Lambert and Borini.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic, and I'd take fourth right now - so we keep qualifying for Champions League football and can build year after year.

I don't expect us to challenge for the league title for another 2 or 3 seasons.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #67: Aug 12, 2014 02:47:30 pm
      The main thing is that we qualify for the c.l again..consistancy should be our target. If we go close or even win the league ..superb. People may be surprised again..we were written off last season and again this. A good start is vital and if we get through to xmas and are still in the mix..you never know. We always get stronger in second half of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Aug 12, 2014 04:11:46 pm
      I find it more staggering that some expect us to challenge for the title this season.

We will struggle without Suarez. As many have already said, no matter what the score was at the time or how ever long was left on the clock in our games last season, as long as Luis was on the pitch I always felt like we would win. He is simply that good.

Our attack next season is Sturridge (who will never play 50 games a season no chance) Lambert and Borini.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic, and I'd take fourth right now - so we keep qualifying for Champions League football and can build year after year.

I don't expect us to challenge for the league title for another 2 or 3 seasons.

Sorry but you are being a bit negative, Luis scored a lot of goals for us, 100% agree with that, were they all pivotal goals, well actually no they weren't. He actually had a fairly poor record against the top teams and a lot of his goals came in the big big wins where we won 4 or 5-1, bear in mind that it's the same points if you win 1-0 as 5-0, just ask Maureen. Now I actually think we have more creativity in the team now, more angles of attack, sure we may not match the goal tally but at the same time we won't slip in as many silly goals so I don't see why we can't do as well if not better. As for the extra games, it's only really in Europe, as mentioned the squad is considerably stronger this season so I again think we will be ok in that respect.

I for one can't wait for the season to start now.

Quick Reply