Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sterling used as a Striker.

Read 2173 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Sterling used as a Striker.
      Aug 01, 2014 08:54:59 am
      Could this be done? I know he played as CF in youth level. He's a handful, very quick and not a bad finisher. Perhaps at 19 he could be coached into a viable replacement for Suarez?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Sterling used as a Striker.
      Reply #1: Aug 01, 2014 09:22:13 am
      Could this be done? I know he played as CF in youth level. He's a handful, very quick and not a bad finisher. Perhaps at 19 he could be coached into a viable replacement for Suarez?

I'd say he is a couple of years of physical development away from being a top striker. But I imagine when Origi is back next season we will play with 3 forwards Origi, Sterling and Sturridge all interchanging positions. It will be a thing of beauty.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2: Aug 01, 2014 10:17:50 am
      well he's going to step it up big time this season, BR will be telling him he is one of the main men and there's no hiding from it now. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of one-twos created and finished by Raheem, not he feeding someone else, and he'll relish the responsibility of being a main man. he already plays as more than a winger but I think in time he'll be a great wide forward, centre forward, though perhaps not being able to lead the line himself.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #3: Aug 01, 2014 10:19:12 am

Thought the same myself, he can make them runs in behind the defence which would make him deadly, but his best when is in full flow running down the wings cutting in and out.

Furthermore his finishing isn't that great yet, he needs more time to develop his finishing and become a consistent goalscorer for us, if he can chip in say 12-15 goals in the league next season, there might be a cause for a position change.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 01, 2014 12:01:43 pm
      I have given this topic 5-10 minutes of thought everyday for about a month
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Aug 01, 2014 12:43:53 pm
      He's got too much to offer to play as a CF. I'm sure Brendan will value the creative aspect of his game so I cannot see him being deployed as a no.9 anytime soon.

Our only true no.9 is Lambert and maybe Borini.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6: Aug 01, 2014 12:49:38 pm
      I think he'll stay in a creative central role, although he'll also play wide, and rotate with Coutinho coming into the middle.
      Defenders are terrified of his pace, and when they stand off him, afraid to commit, it allows him the time and space to pick a pass, as we saw against city.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Aug 01, 2014 12:52:42 pm
      Sturridge,Couthino and Sterling how lucky are we to have such young intelligent players. They can destroy teams this season with their pace and vision.
      Can't f***in wait.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Aug 01, 2014 01:05:39 pm
      Sturridge,Couthino and Sterling how lucky are we to have such young intelligent players. They can destroy teams this season with their pace and vision.
      Can't f***in wait.

Possibly Lazar too, and don't forget that Emre Can doesn't look to shabby when attacking.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Aug 01, 2014 01:08:35 pm
      I'd say more often than not he'll play off the front man, be that Sturridge or Lambert
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #10: Aug 01, 2014 09:46:16 pm
      I have given this topic 5-10 minutes of thought everyday for about a month
      And have you formed any opinion in this time  ;)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11: Aug 01, 2014 10:39:46 pm
      I'd say he is a couple of years of physical development away from being a top striker. But I imagine when Origi is back next season we will play with 3 forwards Origi, Sterling and Sturridge all interchanging positions. It will be a thing of beauty.

I highly doubt Sturridge will be among that front three.  If Markovic is as good as the club thinks he'll be, we'll probably have a front three of Sterling, Origi and Markovic. 
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: Aug 01, 2014 11:06:35 pm
      I highly doubt Sturridge will be among that front three.  If Markovic is as good as the club thinks he'll be, we'll probably have a front three of Sterling, Origi and Markovic. 
      Why where's Sturridge going?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Aug 02, 2014 01:05:47 am

Down to Subway.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #14: Aug 02, 2014 01:09:40 am

From a physical development standpoint, he's not much different from Owen, altho owens holdup play was good for a man his size.

Even if he's not an accomplished finisher yet. I feel like his movement, pace and trickery will scare defenses and keep them preoccupied opening it up for other players.

Also remember the killer passes Stevie used to thread through and over the top for Owen? OH MAN :P

But seriously, its just a thought. Wondered if anyone else thought the same.

I think that finish against City got me thinking. He made that goal out of nothing really.
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2014 01:51:00 am by PastorGeek »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Aug 02, 2014 03:26:42 pm

EXTRA GREEN PEPPERS
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16: Aug 02, 2014 04:41:06 pm
      We will see Sterling playing as a striker but he'll be playing other positions too, the manager will use him like that I reckon, Sterling is best when running at people with space to pick a run, similar to Suarez or Messi if anything.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: Aug 02, 2014 04:41:50 pm

What will he be doing? Not here, on the bench?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Aug 02, 2014 04:56:03 pm
      Interesting question.

Could he hold his runs smartly enough to play as an out and out striker or would he have the linesman's arms strained from raising offside flags? His pace alone would panic defenders and he can score goals but as an out and out striker I don't think hed be clinical enough.

Ill say no leave him on the wings or central behind the front man, but that's just my opinion

Quick Reply