Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

How Much Will You Miss Luis?

Read 20045 times
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: How Much Will You Miss Luis?
      Reply #23: Aug 03, 2014 01:43:11 am
      not thinking about ex-players. too busy focusing on a big season ahead for Liverpool FC and how we're going to set up. couldn't care less about suarez now! not interested in madrid v barca this season and which star strikeforce will win the league. atletico can win it again for all i care. :lmao:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #24: Aug 03, 2014 01:48:54 am
      What is the over/under on "no player is bigger than the club" in this thread?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #25: Aug 03, 2014 03:14:04 am
      Good riddance, he doesn't want to be here that's fine, I am looking more forward to watching the players we have. Yea he was fun to watch but I won't miss watching him. Especially not with the prospect of watching Sterling terrorize the league.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Aug 03, 2014 09:22:41 am
      Of course he will be missed, but when we lose a star prepare yourselves for someone to take his place. We have lost good players before over the years and someone else has stepped up. Keegan, Dalglish are the obvious ones but there have been others.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #27: Aug 03, 2014 10:34:10 am
      *Watches other players take free kicks. Sobs uncontrollably*
      :f_wah:
      It's just not the same.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #28: Aug 03, 2014 04:40:48 pm
      I miss him thiiiiiiiis much!

But really.

Watching the 5-3 game against Stoke when Suarez bagged two and Studge had one. The goal in the 71st when Sturridge is darting forward, fakes one way drags the entire defense with him then he beautifully cuts the ball back behind him the other way with the outside of his foot where Suarez was running up alongside him and then Luis just one-touch curls it beautifully around Butland making it look so easy. The way those two played together as strikers was amazing, the chemistry and understanding they had when they were in form together was unparalleled in world football.

Conjures up the same feelings I had after Torres left and I looked back to when Stevie and Nando were in their prime together seamlessly bagging beautiful goals constantly. But then I think about it, back then we didn't really have much else going on with the club - our top young talents ready for the now were Jonjo, Spearing, and an injury-prone Kelly. We became reliant on the hope that Suarez and (at the time) Andy Carroll brought in.

But look what we've got now: Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe, Suso, Markovic, Hendo, Lallana, Can, Sakho, Lovren, Flanno, Mignolet, and many more who haven't even reached their prime yet.

It's rough to lose a top player, but we're a massive club and we've got a much brighter young squad than we've had in the past decade led by one of the best midfielders in history and guided by a fantastic young manager with the greatest fans in the whole f*cking world behind them.

Do I miss Suarez? Yes of course, and anyone who tells you differently is in denial. We'd have an absolutely boss squad with him in there. But guess what we've still got a f*cking boss squad without him too and we've got a lot to look forward to and we've done a lot of great work to replace him and fill all the other gaps in our squad this summer so I'm looking forward to this season more than ever.

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Aug 03, 2014 05:04:53 pm
      I miss him thiiiiiiiis much!

But really.

Watching the 5-3 game against Stoke when Suarez bagged two and Studge had one. The goal in the 71st when Sturridge is darting forward, fakes one way drags the entire defense with him then he beautifully cuts the ball back behind him the other way with the outside of his foot where Suarez was running up alongside him and then Luis just one-touch curls it beautifully around Butland making it look so easy. The way those two played together as strikers was amazing, the chemistry and understanding they had when they were in form together was unparalleled in world football.

Conjures up the same feelings I had after Torres left and I looked back to when Stevie and Nando were in their prime together seamlessly bagging beautiful goals constantly. But then I think about it, back then we didn't really have much else going on with the club - our top young talents ready for the now were Jonjo, Spearing, and an injury-prone Kelly. We became reliant on the hope that Suarez and (at the time) Andy Carroll brought in.

But look what we've got now: Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe, Suso, Markovic, Hendo, Lallana, Can, Sakho, Lovren, Flanno, Mignolet, and many more who haven't even reached their prime yet.

It's rough to lose a top player, but we're a massive club and we've got a much brighter young squad than we've had in the past decade led by one of the best midfielders in history and guided by a fantastic young manager with the greatest fans in the whole f*cking world behind them.

Do I miss Suarez? Yes of course, and anyone who tells you differently is in denial. We'd have an absolutely boss squad with him in there. But guess what we've still got a f*cking boss squad without him too and we've got a lot to look forward to and we've done a lot of great work to replace him and fill all the other gaps in our squad this summer so I'm looking forward to this season more than ever.

YNWA

I don't miss him at all, and nor am I in denial.
      First reason is that I'd much sooner look forwards rather than backwards. He was great for the most part while he was here, but he's gone so I no longer give a F**k.
      Second reason is that I don't, and never have, bought into the hero worship of players in the way that some others do. He was an employee doing the job he was paid to do, and paid extremely well I might add.

Good luck to him as long as his success doesn't interfere with that of Liverpool, but other than that I don't really give a F**k.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #30: Aug 03, 2014 05:21:33 pm
      I don't miss him at all, and nor am I in denial.
      First reason is that I'd much sooner look forwards rather than backwards. He was great for the most part while he was here, but he's gone so I no longer give a f**k.
      Second reason is that I don't, and never have, bought into the hero worship of players in the way that some others do. He was an employee doing the job he was paid to do, and paid extremely well I might add.

Good luck to him as long as his success doesn't interfere with that of Liverpool, but other than that I don't really give a f**k.

So there won't be a single point throughout the season where you're going to say in your head, "damn Luis would've finished that" or "we could really have used Suarez in this one"?

Even if you see him as an employee. If you're a manager and you have someone working for you who's one of your best employees who then ends up parting ways with the company you wouldn't look back at some point and say wow we really miss him?

It's not a hero worship of anything or anyone, it's a realistic understanding of the very specific value he added to the team which is now gone. But everyone's entitled to their own opinions and thought processes.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #31: Aug 03, 2014 05:48:11 pm
      I've been watching the Reds for over 30 years and I have to admit, he's probably the best player I've ever seen grace Anfield. Not as inspirational as Stevie or as skilful as Digger but ability wise, for what he brings, he is unique.

BUT, I made a promise to myself after last summer's nonsense from him that I would never sing or cheer his name again pre or during the match. I love a sing and I've had some strange looks in the pub and on the Kop when I just stand there when everyone else was belting it out.

Of course, he will be a miss on the field but personally, as a character I'd be more likely to miss the likes of Agger wearing the shirt. For me, Luis was probably badly advised but either way I thought he disrespected the club after we stuck by him, having tried to force a move last summer? If it wasn't for the Gooners being tw*ts about it...he could well have been wearing their shirt last season.

He said he always dreamed of playing at Anfield on a European night...what happened there then?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32: Aug 03, 2014 06:05:46 pm
      So there won't be a single point throughout the season where you're going to say in your head, "damn Luis would've finished that" or "we could really have used Suarez in this one"?

Even if you see him as an employee. If you're a manager and you have someone working for you who's one of your best employees who then ends up parting ways with the company you wouldn't look back at some point and say wow we really miss him?

It's not a hero worship of anything or anyone, it's a realistic understanding of the very specific value he added to the team which is now gone. But everyone's entitled to their own opinions and thought processes.

Nope, none of that will enter my head.
      I will be busy concentrating on the players who actually turn out for us.
      I don't follow our ex-players with anything more than a passing interest. They're gone, and that's the end of it.
      To me there's little point in thinking "If Suarez was here, x would have happened" because it's completely pointless speculation and adds nothing to the support of the team and players doing the job for us now.
      He's gone, get over it and move on.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #33: Aug 03, 2014 06:21:33 pm
      Over him already & looking towards a  Productive season with the new look team, however I think we may see a little drain upfront with goals.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Aug 03, 2014 06:47:16 pm
      I desperately miss him which wasn't the case with Torres or even Michael Owen who was my favourite footballer as a kid. I could go on and on about his ridiculous ability but it's the romanticism that surrounds the guy that made him the most fascinating Liverpool player in my lifetime. A guy who grew up in impoverished Montevideo, thousands of miles from Anfield, who went through a meteoric rise to reach the footballing havens of Anfield and now the Nou Camp. He combines a great story with a great footballing ability. Yes he has a habit of generating unwanted headline after unwanted headline, but that only makes him more fascinating on a personal level. There is a level of affection I hold for Luis that I don't for 99% of footballers, Steven Gerrard included. The guy deserves all the great things that come his way and I hope to god he continues to set the world on fire at Barcelona. His temperament and past history always made me believe that he would leave us on bad terms, in a similar way to that bloke who went to Chelsea. He didn't. He went on great terms, after helping us get back to competing with the very best. He's the best footballer I have ever seen in a red shirt by some considerable distance and, after gathering my thoughts on him the last couple of weeks, most definitely my favourite ever.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #35: Aug 03, 2014 07:03:43 pm
      In all honesty I don't feel as bad as I thought I would. There's no denying he'll be fondly remembered for his quality and never say die attitude but he's made his choice and we move on. The clubs in a far better state than when he joined but I don't think he's the reason for this, I believe he's a big factor in it but for me all the plaudits go to the management team.

We're in a good place right now we have a management team that are refreshing, we have quality being added to our squad to add to quality young lads banging on the door of the first team. Add all these to the lads the along with Luis gave us one hell of a ride last season it's happy times again at Anfield.

I would have loved Luis to give us 1 maybe 2 more seasons but he's left for a new episode in his career, I wish him well (except when he plays us). He did well for the club in the short time he was with us and as a group we should remember these times but most of all move on.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #36: Aug 03, 2014 07:37:45 pm
      I desperately miss him which wasn't the case with Torres or even Michael Owen who was my favourite footballer as a kid. I could go on and on about his ridiculous ability but it's the romanticism that surrounds the guy that made him the most fascinating Liverpool player in my lifetime. A guy who grew up in impoverished Montevideo, thousands of miles from Anfield, who went through a meteoric rise to reach the footballing havens of Anfield and now the Nou Camp. He combines a great story with a great footballing ability. Yes he has a habit of generating unwanted headline after unwanted headline, but that only makes him more fascinating on a personal level. There is a level of affection I hold for Luis that I don't for 99% of footballers, Steven Gerrard included. The guy deserves all the great things that come his way and I hope to god he continues to set the world on fire at Barcelona. His temperament and past history always made me believe that he would leave us on bad terms, in a similar way to that bloke who went to Chelsea. He didn't. He went on great terms, after helping us get back to competing with the very best. He's the best footballer I have ever seen in a red shirt by some considerable distance and, after gathering my thoughts on him the last couple of weeks, most definitely my favourite ever.
      I simply can't believe people that say they will not miss him. Maybe he wasn't Liverpool's greatest player but he was Liverpool's best footballer imo. His ability is completely unrivalled by any other that's played at the club since I first watched them. I also grew up watching Owen, he was actually one of the reasons I started supporting Liverpool. Since then I've seen great players like Fowler, Gerrard, Torres, Alonso but honestly this guy was a cut above.

Anyway +1 from me mate for a great post.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #37: Aug 03, 2014 07:40:59 pm
      I won't miss him, I can thank Fernando Torres for that.

I was sad when Carra retired and I'll be even sadder when Stevie does. We missed Carra's leadership qualities and organisational skills last year and there are elements of Stevie's game that has left him and been missed by us for a couple of years now. He's still a good defensive midfielder but not an amazing one. I'll miss him when he goes though, just like I miss Carra. They love the club and always will.

Thing is with Luis, it always felt like he was never going to be here forever. I'll look back and reminisce on his time here and smile. It was great when he was here, he was one of the best we've ever had but Nando taught me never to get too attached to a 'Johnny Come Lately'. Unlike Nando though, I wish Luis all the best and hope he's a beast in La Liga, although I know subconsciously I should hate the tw*t for wanting to go to a Premier League rival last year. The same crime for which the memories of Torres' time here is so tainted.

I'll watch as many Barca games as I can to track his progress but only until I get bored with it all but I won't miss him, no way. He won't miss us.

It's easy to say that the team will miss him and of course it will. What side wouldn't miss a player like Luis Suarez?

I actually think this team will flourish though.

Players like Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho will turn it up a notch and have already proved that Luis isn't everything about our League position last season. Hendo will improve again and some of the new players will be a success. That fantastic run after the turn of the year last season produced some of the most joyous football I have ever seen us play.

Luis done well to score 11 in 19 of those games for us but he wasn't the be all and end all of what we done and how we performed. When he dropped a level or two from the stupendous form he showed before the turn of the year the rest of this team stepped it up a level and we'd all do well to remember that.

They're all still here, they all have the experience of a proper title race under their belts and they'll remember the pain they felt from not winning that title.

More importantly they'll all be ready and they'll all be poised like coiled springs in that tunnel before they go out to play Southampton. I can tell you that Luis Suarez is far from all of their thoughts.

If we get good enough cover for Studge then I think the people who are missing him will be pleasantly surprised by the way in which they aren't missing him by the time the trick or treaters are knocking at their doors.

Very important couple of weeks for Rodgers and his committee because if they don't do things right we're probably a Daniel Sturridge injury away from me asking for this post to be removed whilst wearing my 'Come back Luis I love you and miss you so much' t-shirt.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #38: Aug 03, 2014 07:45:56 pm
      His second free-kick against zenit was my favorite Luis moment until... Our thrashing of the bitters at Anfield, they had us on the back foot for a good 10-12 minutes and looked like scoring, until Luis robbed jagielka near the halfway line, sprinted all the way to their goal while holding off two men, and buried it with his left foot.

I laughed my balls off and watched droves of blue shirts stream out of the stadium. Brilliant.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: Aug 03, 2014 07:52:07 pm
      I simply can't believe people that say they will not miss him. Maybe he wasn't Liverpool's greatest player but he was Liverpool's best footballer imo. His ability is completely unrivalled by any other that's played at the club since I first watched them. I also grew up watching Owen, he was actually one of the reasons I started supporting Liverpool. Since then I've seen great players like Fowler, Gerrard, Torres, Alonso but honestly this guy was a cut above.

Anyway +1 from me mate for a great post.

Absolutely. Even watching these pre season games, there's a charismatic void left. Just the idea that Luis was lurking around somewhere was thrilling and radical in a way that no player has been able to do! Such an intense presence has gone as have the goals but that isn't to say it's all downhill after Luis. Brendan is a very clever man who is and always has been the most important man at the club this past year, irregardless of Suarez's stunning performances. Following Luis's exit, what is left is an opportunity to play a style of football that is perhaps more pragmatic but equally as fruitful and technically progressive.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #40: Aug 03, 2014 08:44:56 pm
      I simply can't believe people that say they will not miss him.

Better believe it mate, I don't.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #41: Aug 03, 2014 09:00:48 pm
      I don't believe you  ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #42: Aug 03, 2014 10:24:01 pm
      Would we miss him.  Would Barca miss Messi if he left?  I hope we can have a good season.  Tighten the defense to compensate for some of his goals.  He was one of the best players in the world we don't have a player that good in our squad at the moment or likely to have in the coming season at least.  We have to improvise as a team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #43: Aug 03, 2014 11:05:53 pm
      Suarez who?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Aug 03, 2014 11:31:03 pm
      See, I miss him but then I force myself to think the lad wanted out to Real Madrid, followed by Arsenal and then to Barca so he didn't really love us as much as I hoped or as much as we loved him, so it softens the hurt a bit.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #45: Aug 03, 2014 11:33:16 pm
      Some interesting comments and whilst I agree with those that we always move on and no player is bigger than the club it's not Luis playing for us in particular I'm going to miss or even that we as a club will miss him.

It's purely that I will miss watching him play football week in week out.

Quick Reply