Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

How Much Will You Miss Luis?

Read 20050 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: How Much Will You Miss Luis?
      Reply #69: Aug 04, 2014 03:28:39 pm
      So, in effect,  what you're saying Swab; is that when you take away the outliers, (or two "drubbings" [11 goals], if you prefer), Arsenal only conceded 30 goals in 36 games. Sounds like a solid defence to me.

No, what I'm saying is that their defense isn't solid. No "in effect", no taking out certain games to paint a prettier picture, no playing with stats or words to "prove" something.
      Good defenses do not concede 5 or 6 goals in any game.
      Flat track bullies on the other hand, do. And that's how I see arsenal.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #70: Aug 04, 2014 06:01:18 pm
      Where did I say any different? Maybe read my post properly before trying to correct me.

I don't understand, sorry? Perhaps you misunderstood my point, I'm genuinely unsure? You said "if we can get the balance right between our defence and offence" which I whole heartedly agree with but my point was that we haven't done that. We haven't addressed the underlying issue of our main striker has left and has not been replaced. We have increased our defensive strength at the expense of our offensive strength. To me, the balance is not there because our offensive strength is now based upon a striker who seems to have a propensity for being injured rather easily, a 31 year old past his physical prime and a player that even given regular play time last season, still failed to set the stage alight with his performances. Does that make what I was saying clearer?

As for those saying Arsenal didn't have a good defence because of their drubbings, they conceded nine goals less than us and only three other teams in the league conceded less. That's a good defence regardless of them having off days.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #71: Aug 04, 2014 06:08:03 pm
      I don't understand, sorry? Perhaps you misunderstood my point, I'm genuinely unsure? You said "if we can get the balance right between our defence and offence" which I whole heartedly agree with but my point was that we haven't done that. We haven't addressed the underlying issue of our main striker has left and has not been replaced. We have increased our defensive strength at the expense of our offensive strength. To me, the balance is not there because our offensive strength is now based upon a striker who seems to have a propensity for being injured rather easily, a 31 year old past his physical prime and a player that even given regular play time last season, still failed to set the stage alight with his performances. Does that make what I was saying clearer?

As for those saying Arsenal didn't have a good defence because of their drubbings, they conceded nine goals less than us and only three other teams in the league conceded less. That's a good defence regardless of them having off days.

I think we've confused eachother lad, I thought you were saying or implying I said we finished behind the Chavs last season.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #72: Aug 04, 2014 06:20:44 pm
      I think we've confused eachother lad, I thought you were saying or implying I said we finished behind the Chavs last season.

Nah mate, ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #73: Aug 04, 2014 07:26:26 pm

No, what they have is a good midfield, and when that gets overrun, their defense is sh*te.
      I'll repeat, a good defense does not have 5/6 goals put past them.
      They are flat track bullies. They look great when their midfield is on top, but when you get past that and have a proper go at their defense, they fold.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #74: Aug 04, 2014 07:52:04 pm
      No, what I'm saying is that their defense isn't solid. No "in effect", no taking out certain games to paint a prettier picture, no playing with stats or words to "prove" something.
      Is that what you, a successful, millionaire, businessman thinks I was doing: taking out "certain games" to paint a prettier picture?

Jeez mate, I thought you, above everyone else, would have known about removing all outliers when making any reasoned analysis of performance indicators. That, to leave them in, would only provide misleading information.

Put it like this - I'm sure Wenger won't misinterpret the figures or panic too much about 2 games over a 38 game season.

If it helps others to understand and it the interests of creating common ground - I agree that Arsenal's defence was pure, unadulterated sh*te for 2 games...  8)
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #75: Aug 04, 2014 08:01:13 pm
      Great Player, sad to see him retire but alas all good things must come to an end.

Former Liverpool player and fan favourite Luis Garcia has announced his retirement from football.

The 35-year-old spent three seasons with the Reds, after joining the club from Barcelona in August 2004.

He struck up an immediate rapport with the Anfield faithful, who coined a special chant for the attacker, and continued to support him following his departure from Liverpool in July 2007.

The nifty forward netted 30 times in 121 appearances for the Reds, including five goals in the knockout stages of the Champions League - with unforgettable efforts against Juventus and Chelsea - as the club went on to claim their fifth European Cup in Istanbul.

Garcia paid special tribute to Liverpool, and those who have continuously supported him, as he bode farewell to the game: "[Thanks] to Liverpool FC, for making me pass through the history of international football and be part of the Red family, forever.

"To each and every one of the people over 17 years of [my] career that have been with me, have helped me and supported me at every stage I have lived, and although not mentioned one by one, I will be forever grateful."

Garcia's honours at Liverpool included a UEFA Champions League winners' medal, a runner-up finish in the 2006-7 edition of the prestigious tournament, as well as winning the FA Cup (2005-6), UEFA Super Cup (2005) and the 2006 Community Shield.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/153184-luis-garcia-retires-from-football
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #76: Aug 04, 2014 08:05:29 pm
      Great Player, sad to see him retire but alas all good things must come to an end.

Former Liverpool player and fan favourite Luis Garcia has announced his retirement from football.

The 35-year-old spent three seasons with the Reds, after joining the club from Barcelona in August 2004.

He struck up an immediate rapport with the Anfield faithful, who coined a special chant for the attacker, and continued to support him following his departure from Liverpool in July 2007.

The nifty forward netted 30 times in 121 appearances for the Reds, including five goals in the knockout stages of the Champions League - with unforgettable efforts against Juventus and Chelsea - as the club went on to claim their fifth European Cup in Istanbul.

Garcia paid special tribute to Liverpool, and those who have continuously supported him, as he bode farewell to the game: "[Thanks] to Liverpool FC, for making me pass through the history of international football and be part of the Red family, forever.

"To each and every one of the people over 17 years of [my] career that have been with me, have helped me and supported me at every stage I have lived, and although not mentioned one by one, I will be forever grateful."

Garcia's honours at Liverpool included a UEFA Champions League winners' medal, a runner-up finish in the 2006-7 edition of the prestigious tournament, as well as winning the FA Cup (2005-6), UEFA Super Cup (2005) and the 2006 Community Shield.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/153184-luis-garcia-retires-from-football

:lmao: Oh my aching sides. That was hilarious.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #77: Aug 04, 2014 08:17:09 pm
      Is that what you, a successful, millionaire, businessman thinks I was doing: taking out "certain games" to paint a prettier picture?

Jeez mate, I thought you, above everyone else, would have known about removing all outliers when making any reasoned analysis of performance indicators. That, to leave them in, would only provide misleading information.

Put it like this - I'm sure Wenger won't misinterpret the figures or panic too much about 2 games over a 38 game season.

If it helps others to understand and it the interests of creating common ground - I agree that Arsenal's defence was pure, unadulterated sh*te for 2 games...  8)

In football, "outliers" are still a result in a result driven sport.Lose the league on goal difference, and those "outliers" are shown to be the bollocks you know they are.
      Why not take out a couple of our "outliers" to show we won the league?
      Talking about "outliers" over a 38 game season is a nonsense, as I'm sure you know.

To expand further, despite your usual snide remarks, Arsenals defense itself, in my opinion is sh*te.
      What they do have is a bunch of players in front of the defense who are exceptionally good at keeping the ball which protects their defense making it look better than it really is.
      Press them hard and deny them the ball whilst getting at their defense quickly shows it up for what it is: immobile, static, too high with not much pace and caught out too easily by a ball over the top.
      Their strength lies in not allowing their back 4 to be exposed by using possession football, which doesn't equate to a good defensive unit, but does suit their style of play.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #78: Aug 04, 2014 08:29:29 pm
      What a pathetic thread
      Get a f***in grip & grow the F**k up ffs
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #79: Aug 04, 2014 08:32:41 pm
      What a pathetic thread
      Get a f***in grip & grow the f**k up ffs
      There there, we know you're upset, just let it out, you're not impressing anyone.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #80: Aug 04, 2014 08:36:18 pm
      What a pathetic thread

Said without a hint of irony.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #81: Aug 04, 2014 08:36:42 pm
      I'm not upset mate I'm a liverpool fc supporter not a luis suarez supporter.
      He wanted out we got a fair price end of..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Aug 04, 2014 08:37:55 pm
      I'm not upset mate I'm a liverpool fc supporter not a luis suarez supporter.
      He wanted out we got a fair price end of..

HOUSE.

What do I win.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #83: Aug 04, 2014 08:42:20 pm
      Lose the league on goal difference, and those "outliers" are shown to be the bollocks you know they are.
      Oh dear.

If we were talking about goal difference those results wouldn't be outliers mate - they in fact would be very relevant: if we  trying to "prove" a point on goal difference but... we weren't. You were trying to "prove" that Arsenal's defence was sh*te, based on only two games, whilst ignoring 36 others. See the difference?

To expand further, despite your usual snide remarks, Arsenals defense itself, in my opinion is sh*te.
      And... in my opinion, they weren't - except for two games.

Put it like this - if we had been tanked by Hull & Chelsea (our two biggest defeats) 5-1 & 6-3 that would have made no difference but if we had conceded only 30 in the remaining 36 games we wouldn't have lost the league.

If you believe Arsenal's defence was sh*te and the results of those two games "prove" that - fair enough - I don't know what else to say.

Anyway - back on topic - I’ll miss watching Luis Suarez and unless the shortfall in goals can be mitigated by a more solid defence (midfield, if you prefer) the team will miss him too... In my opinion, of course.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014 09:03:15 pm by bad boy bubby »
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #84: Aug 04, 2014 08:46:16 pm

You win F**k all you didnt enter

LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #85: Aug 04, 2014 09:46:51 pm
      Will miss him for sure but I'm also sure he'll miss us and regret leaving
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #86: Aug 04, 2014 09:58:26 pm
      No, what they have is a good midfield, and when that gets overrun, their defense is sh*te.
      I'll repeat, a good defense does not have 5/6 goals put past them.
      They are flat track bullies. They look great when their midfield is on top, but when you get past that and have a proper go at their defense, they fold.

They got drummed because their midfield was overrun, not because their defence was bad. Against us, for the first twenty minutes they couldn't get hold of the ball and had no control of the game as a result. That's what allowed us to score so many so quickly. Nothing to do with their defence. Granted that their midfield does well in normally controlling the game but take nothing away from their defence, they have a solid one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #87: Aug 05, 2014 12:31:40 am
      What a pathetic thread

Nice touch.

No one forced you to either read it or post in it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #88: Aug 05, 2014 11:19:07 am

if we  trying to "prove" a point 

Here's the thing, "we" are not trying to prove a point, you are, so I see no reason to buy into the frankly ridiculous idea that some results should be disregarded in pursuit of your point.
      I'm perfectly comfortable in my opinion that arsenals defense is sh*te

If you believe Arsenal's defence was sh*te
      I do.
      I also find it odd that you get offended when someone challenges your opinion, and yet you don't extend this to other peoples opinions.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #89: Aug 05, 2014 11:35:01 am
      SAS [Suarez & Sturridge] - 2013/14: http://youtu.be/EntnDiK_2v8

Too much. He was the top dog here and made us tick. Always gave 100% and at times was totally unplayable.

Off the ball he was an absolute pest. His clever runs in behind the defense or out into wider positions caused the opposition defence to split open. He was a true warrior of a footballer.

Sterling is not ready to be the top dog just yet. He's a fantastic player do not get me wrong but the idea of a 19 year old running the show for us I feel is a little concerning. I'm sure he'd be more humbled playing with talent like Suarez. Hope this doesn't inflate his ego when Real Madrid eventually come calling. He's still very much a developing talent but people are talking about his as if he is our saviour.

Obviously Suarez wanted the move and he was banned but if I had the option of all these signings and no Suarez, or keep Suarez and sign two fullbacks then it would be the latter every day of the week. Our current squad is now designed to play more games than it was last year; however, I am not entirely sure it is designed to win as many games as last season (if that makes sense). Luis was the cutting edge to this team.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #90: Aug 05, 2014 11:39:03 am
      Honestly I won't really miss him.. Move on to what happens next.

Not saying he wasn't great but no point looking back

It's like splitting up with a really fit gf who looked great but was a bit mental and you both move on..
      You may well revisit her in the w*nk 100 from time to time but you don't look back and pine

I'll watch his goals on lfctv from time to time and smile but I honestly won't miss him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #91: Aug 05, 2014 11:41:06 am
      Not saying he wasn't great but no point looking back

Agree on moving on Jon and I will but I can honestly say I will miss watching Luis play. Genius footballers don't come around too often.

Quick Reply