Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Next LFC captain

Read 5785 times
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 469 posts | 11 
      Next LFC captain
      Aug 04, 2014 01:40:13 pm
      Alright, so Stevie is obviously going to captain LFC whenever he's on the pitch and until he retires. After he goes, however, we'll need a new captain to step up. Dagger would be the obvious candidate, being club VC and having been at the club for 8 (?) years, except for the fact that he doesn't start regularly enough due to injury and competetion. So that leaves BR with somewhat of a dilemma for 2/3 years' time, when Stevie does move on.

Who would you go for then out of the current crop? Obviously BR doesn't have to decide now (and indeed shouldn't, since someone may stake an excellent claim to the position over the next couple of years), but he's going to be mulling the decision over in the back of his mind as Stevie nears closer and closer to retirement.

I'd go for Sturridge personally.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4877 
      Re: Next LFC captain
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2014 01:42:37 pm
      Jordan Henderson.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2014 01:43:44 pm
      I think Henderson has the right attributes.

Sakho has previous experience captaining PSG and would be my second choice.

Both young enough to captain the side for the next 10 years presuming they both stay.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2014 01:49:18 pm
      Henderson, or possibly Lallana if it's a couple of years down the line. Read somewhere that Lallana was excellent as Captain of Southampton and worked hard at the job.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4: Aug 04, 2014 01:52:52 pm
      Alright, so Stevie is obviously going to captain LFC whenever he's on the pitch and until he retires. After he goes, however, we'll need a new captain to step up. Dagger would be the obvious candidate, being club VC and having been at the club for 8 (?) years, except for the fact that he doesn't start regularly enough due to injury and competetion. So that leaves BR with somewhat of a dilemma for 2/3 years' time, when Stevie does move on.

Who would you go for then out of the current crop? Obviously BR doesn't have to decide now (and indeed shouldn't, since someone may stake an excellent claim to the position over the next couple of years), but he's going to be mulling the decision over in the back of his mind as Stevie nears closer and closer to retirement.

I'd go for Sturridge personally.

Never in a month of Sunday's, just not captain material, for me long-term replacement as captain would be Henderson, Lovren or Flanno!

That last one is a joke, but interesting to see somewhere earlier or yesterday, that Carragher thinks Lovren would make an ideal captain long-term.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2014 01:56:19 pm
      Never in a month of Sunday's, just not captain material, for me long-term replacement as captain would be Henderson, Lovren or Flanno!

That last one is a joke, but interesting to see somewhere earlier or yesterday, that Carragher thinks Lovren would make an ideal captain long-term.
      Why isn't Sturridge captain material?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2014 02:01:40 pm
      I reckon Sakho. Henderson is a good candidate as well but i'd be worried it would put too much pressure on him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Aug 04, 2014 02:02:23 pm
      Why isn't Sturridge captain material?

He's a confidence player, his head can go down too easily at times, essentially you want your Captain to be a leader ala someone like Graeme Souness. Plus I don't like strikers as captains, much prefer midfielders or defenders, but just my opinion!

Look at that image of Souness in 84 walking out in Roma's own stadium. Oozing utter arrogance and confidence, that's a captain!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Aug 04, 2014 02:05:30 pm
      I can see Henderson doing it for sure
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Aug 04, 2014 02:13:05 pm
      Got to be Henderson for me. Hardest working, professional attitude, totally dedicated to football and works hard to stay fit. No weird antics off the pitch and fought against adversity to become a truly priceless/valuable cog in the midfield.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2014 02:16:33 pm
      As of right now my pick of the bunch would be Jordan Henderson. But that could change in a couple years time.

He's confident, he gives everything he's got, and he seems like one of those players that will just never want to leave the club.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2014 02:32:37 pm
      Rossiter
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2014 02:36:46 pm
      I think Sterling. In 2-3 years he will be one of the best players in world football. He has matured so much in A YEAR and he's only 18. I think he will be and should be captain in a few years when Stevie goes and he has about 3 good seasons left in him.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Aug 04, 2014 02:57:52 pm
      He's a confidence player, his head can go down too easily at times, essentially you want your Captain to be a leader ala someone like Graeme Souness. Plus I don't like strikers as captains, much prefer midfielders or defenders, but just my opinion!

Look at that image of Souness in 84 walking out in Roma's own stadium. Oozing utter arrogance and confidence, that's a captain!!
      I'd say Sturridge is fairly arrogant and confident :D. Besides, being made captain of Liverpool Football Club could only give more confidence.

Nothing against Hendo but he seems a little bit too dim to be captain for me...
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2014 03:34:17 pm
      I'd say Sturridge is fairly arrogant and confident :D. Besides, being made captain of Liverpool Football Club could only give more confidence.

Nothing against Hendo but he seems a little bit too dim to be captain for me...

Dim... you may have a point there actually. haha
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2014 03:42:36 pm
      For me: Henderson, Sakho, Lovren (if he does well because he has a good leadership) and Rossiter.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2014 05:50:06 pm

;D the expression on his face in that pic, he looks like he's about to do someone in not play a football match. That said, it was Souness, was there a difference? :P
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2014 07:38:54 pm
      ITs gotta be the next player to grow a mustache.  otherwise henderson.  Always focused, and everyone on the team seems to enjoy him and gets along well with him.
      Redone
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2014 07:51:34 pm
      Luis Suarez... oh, wait...
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2014 09:58:26 pm

Incredible photo that, I wouldn't want to let that man down!!

Check out Bruce behind him, could he be more chilled out!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Aug 04, 2014 10:11:13 pm
      I think Lovren will prove to be a no messing sort of guy so I'm eying him as the next leader. As much as I admire the leadership of Gerrard, he wasn't a born leader. He only became a leader because he led by example. Carragher was a far more natural captain and I just think we need that battle hardened attitude again. I think Lovren is going to show that.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Aug 04, 2014 10:19:05 pm
      I'm not convinced you need a captain who is an on field motivator. Any player who doesn't find wearing the shirt of Liverpool FC motivation enough knows where the door is. So I'm more looking for the guy who is going to find that spark of magic to pull us back into games (as Stevie has done many times not least Istanbul and Cardiff). So I'm looking at Sterling Lallana or daft as this might sound Coutinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #22: Aug 04, 2014 10:47:12 pm
      If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Lovren.

If not him, Henderson.

Quick Reply