Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Next LFC captain

Read 5824 times
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 469 posts | 11 
      Next LFC captain
      Aug 04, 2014 01:40:13 pm
      Alright, so Stevie is obviously going to captain LFC whenever he's on the pitch and until he retires. After he goes, however, we'll need a new captain to step up. Dagger would be the obvious candidate, being club VC and having been at the club for 8 (?) years, except for the fact that he doesn't start regularly enough due to injury and competetion. So that leaves BR with somewhat of a dilemma for 2/3 years' time, when Stevie does move on.

Who would you go for then out of the current crop? Obviously BR doesn't have to decide now (and indeed shouldn't, since someone may stake an excellent claim to the position over the next couple of years), but he's going to be mulling the decision over in the back of his mind as Stevie nears closer and closer to retirement.

I'd go for Sturridge personally.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Re: Next LFC captain
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2014 01:42:37 pm
      Jordan Henderson.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2014 01:43:44 pm
      I think Henderson has the right attributes.

Sakho has previous experience captaining PSG and would be my second choice.

Both young enough to captain the side for the next 10 years presuming they both stay.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2014 01:49:18 pm
      Henderson, or possibly Lallana if it's a couple of years down the line. Read somewhere that Lallana was excellent as Captain of Southampton and worked hard at the job.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #4: Aug 04, 2014 01:52:52 pm
      Alright, so Stevie is obviously going to captain LFC whenever he's on the pitch and until he retires. After he goes, however, we'll need a new captain to step up. Dagger would be the obvious candidate, being club VC and having been at the club for 8 (?) years, except for the fact that he doesn't start regularly enough due to injury and competetion. So that leaves BR with somewhat of a dilemma for 2/3 years' time, when Stevie does move on.

Who would you go for then out of the current crop? Obviously BR doesn't have to decide now (and indeed shouldn't, since someone may stake an excellent claim to the position over the next couple of years), but he's going to be mulling the decision over in the back of his mind as Stevie nears closer and closer to retirement.

I'd go for Sturridge personally.

Never in a month of Sunday's, just not captain material, for me long-term replacement as captain would be Henderson, Lovren or Flanno!

That last one is a joke, but interesting to see somewhere earlier or yesterday, that Carragher thinks Lovren would make an ideal captain long-term.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2014 01:56:19 pm
      Never in a month of Sunday's, just not captain material, for me long-term replacement as captain would be Henderson, Lovren or Flanno!

That last one is a joke, but interesting to see somewhere earlier or yesterday, that Carragher thinks Lovren would make an ideal captain long-term.
      Why isn't Sturridge captain material?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2014 02:01:40 pm
      I reckon Sakho. Henderson is a good candidate as well but i'd be worried it would put too much pressure on him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #7: Aug 04, 2014 02:02:23 pm
      Why isn't Sturridge captain material?

He's a confidence player, his head can go down too easily at times, essentially you want your Captain to be a leader ala someone like Graeme Souness. Plus I don't like strikers as captains, much prefer midfielders or defenders, but just my opinion!

Look at that image of Souness in 84 walking out in Roma's own stadium. Oozing utter arrogance and confidence, that's a captain!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Aug 04, 2014 02:05:30 pm
      I can see Henderson doing it for sure
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Aug 04, 2014 02:13:05 pm
      Got to be Henderson for me. Hardest working, professional attitude, totally dedicated to football and works hard to stay fit. No weird antics off the pitch and fought against adversity to become a truly priceless/valuable cog in the midfield.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2014 02:16:33 pm
      As of right now my pick of the bunch would be Jordan Henderson. But that could change in a couple years time.

He's confident, he gives everything he's got, and he seems like one of those players that will just never want to leave the club.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2014 02:32:37 pm
      Rossiter
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2014 02:36:46 pm
      I think Sterling. In 2-3 years he will be one of the best players in world football. He has matured so much in A YEAR and he's only 18. I think he will be and should be captain in a few years when Stevie goes and he has about 3 good seasons left in him.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Aug 04, 2014 02:57:52 pm
      He's a confidence player, his head can go down too easily at times, essentially you want your Captain to be a leader ala someone like Graeme Souness. Plus I don't like strikers as captains, much prefer midfielders or defenders, but just my opinion!

Look at that image of Souness in 84 walking out in Roma's own stadium. Oozing utter arrogance and confidence, that's a captain!!
      I'd say Sturridge is fairly arrogant and confident :D. Besides, being made captain of Liverpool Football Club could only give more confidence.

Nothing against Hendo but he seems a little bit too dim to be captain for me...
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2014 03:34:17 pm
      I'd say Sturridge is fairly arrogant and confident :D. Besides, being made captain of Liverpool Football Club could only give more confidence.

Nothing against Hendo but he seems a little bit too dim to be captain for me...

Dim... you may have a point there actually. haha
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2014 03:42:36 pm
      For me: Henderson, Sakho, Lovren (if he does well because he has a good leadership) and Rossiter.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2014 05:50:06 pm

;D the expression on his face in that pic, he looks like he's about to do someone in not play a football match. That said, it was Souness, was there a difference? :P
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2014 07:38:54 pm
      ITs gotta be the next player to grow a mustache.  otherwise henderson.  Always focused, and everyone on the team seems to enjoy him and gets along well with him.
      Redone
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2014 07:51:34 pm
      Luis Suarez... oh, wait...
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2014 09:58:26 pm

Incredible photo that, I wouldn't want to let that man down!!

Check out Bruce behind him, could he be more chilled out!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Aug 04, 2014 10:11:13 pm
      I think Lovren will prove to be a no messing sort of guy so I'm eying him as the next leader. As much as I admire the leadership of Gerrard, he wasn't a born leader. He only became a leader because he led by example. Carragher was a far more natural captain and I just think we need that battle hardened attitude again. I think Lovren is going to show that.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Aug 04, 2014 10:19:05 pm
      I'm not convinced you need a captain who is an on field motivator. Any player who doesn't find wearing the shirt of Liverpool FC motivation enough knows where the door is. So I'm more looking for the guy who is going to find that spark of magic to pull us back into games (as Stevie has done many times not least Istanbul and Cardiff). So I'm looking at Sterling Lallana or daft as this might sound Coutinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #22: Aug 04, 2014 10:47:12 pm
      If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Lovren.

If not him, Henderson.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #23: Aug 04, 2014 11:51:21 pm
      Henderson for me
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Aug 05, 2014 12:03:04 am
      Wouldn't mind a bit of Emre Can!

Then guys like Hendo, Lovren, Lallana or Sakho.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #25: Aug 05, 2014 12:54:18 am
      Not Henderson just yet.  He has to mature.  I see him a lot of the time and his shoulders drop.  I mean he puts the shift in no shadow of doubt, but of yet he isn't on top of my list for captaincy.  Things can change and fully understand the notion.  But not convinced yet.  I think Lovren could be the man myself or Sakho when the time is right for Gerrard to hand over the arm band. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #26: Aug 05, 2014 08:12:06 am
      I'm not convinced you need a captain who is an on field motivator. Any player who doesn't find wearing the shirt of Liverpool FC motivation enough knows where the door is. So I'm more looking for the guy who is going to find that spark of magic to pull us back into games (as Stevie has done many times not least Istanbul and Cardiff). So I'm looking at Sterling Lallana or daft as this might sound Coutinho.

no offense but have you played competitively?  A key characteristic imo is that on field motivation.  if the going is good.. the captian makes sure the lads see the game out... if the going is bad, the captain needs to steady the troops and push for goals.  the onfield direction a solid/well respected captain provides is extremely important. 
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Aug 05, 2014 10:58:48 am
      Agger, I'm serious. The next captain should be Agger, or Skrtel, but they need to prove their worth this season. It's now or never. We have a good squad(except we miss a striker and hopeflly we'll sign 2 fullbacks soon), but next season we have to compete for the EPL and it will be the hardest EPL we'll witness IMO.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #28: Aug 05, 2014 12:55:44 pm
      Agger, I'm serious. The next captain should be Agger, or Skrtel, but they need to prove their worth this season. It's now or never. We have a good squad(except we miss a striker and hopeflly we'll sign 2 fullbacks soon), but next season we have to compete for the EPL and it will be the hardest EPL we'll witness IMO.
      Maybe someone that is actually going to be playing for us in a couple of years when Stevie retires, would be a better option! No?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #29: Aug 05, 2014 01:02:02 pm
      Maybe someone that is actually going to be playing for us in a couple of years when Stevie retires, would be a better option! No?

Was thinking the same.

I struggle to think that Dagger will still be playing for us come September never mind captaining the side when Stevie calls it a day.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #30: Aug 05, 2014 01:02:29 pm
      I pondered the thought of Hendersom, but as strong as his play leads by example with his energy and passion I think he is not a strong enough individual yet to captain our players and to boss them around when needed etc.

We need a captain with passion, heart and it shows in their football as well as there aggression when comanding others, for me the option is Sakho. His already captained PSG at such a young age, his the future captain of France imo. He'd be perfect a true warrior.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Aug 05, 2014 03:31:52 pm
      he is not a strong enough individual yet to captain our players and to boss them around when needed etc.

It's still a good few years away at least so plenty of time for that to change. No stranger to being captain either is he? Wasn't he England U'21 Captain?
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #32: Aug 05, 2014 03:38:56 pm
      Henderson
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #33: Aug 05, 2014 07:20:02 pm
      It's still a good few years away at least so plenty of time for that to change. No stranger to being captain either is he? Wasn't he England U'21 Captain?

That is true, i just think for me Sakho seems more of a leader to me. Don't get me wrong i would love Hendo to be our captain at some point, just think Sakho would be better suited for when Gerrard retires.

Does anyone think Gerrard might want to pass on the arm band? Like what happened with Hyppia and Gerrard.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #34: Aug 05, 2014 07:27:01 pm
      Hasn't Henderson been England U-21 captain?

I'm not necessarily saying he's a future captain for us, I'm just sure I read this somewhere.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #35: Aug 05, 2014 07:28:39 pm
      Hasn't Henderson been England U-21 captain?

I'm not necessarily saying he's a future captain for us, I'm just sure I read this somewhere.

Yeah you and 7KK7 are correct. From what I've seen in matches i just see it being easier for Sakho to command the team than Hendo, but as 7KK7 pointed our there are a good couple of years for him to change that (in my eyes)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Aug 05, 2014 07:33:16 pm
      Yeah you and 7KK7 are correct. From what I've seen in matches i just see it being easier for Sakho to command the team than Hendo, but as 7KK7 pointed our there are a good couple of years for him to change that (in my eyes)

I get where you're coming from regarding Sakho, but if memory serves he's amongst the players BR said made up a quiet team.
      OK, some of that is down to language, and maybe when his English is better he could be worth a shout.
      It's a really hard call to make, and I'd only say so far that I prefer the captain to be a midfielder or defender, although I have no idea why  :laugh:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #37: Aug 05, 2014 07:35:56 pm
      That is true, i just think for me Sakho seems more of a leader to me. Don't get me wrong i would love Hendo to be our captain at some point, just think Sakho would be better suited for when Gerrard retires.  :D
      No doubt Stevie will have a big say in who follows him,  which is why he'll probably suggest Henderson.

Does anyone think Gerrard might want to pass on the arm band? Like what happened with Hyppia and Gerrard.
      I get the impression Sami wasn't really comfortable with being captain, that's why he only held it for 1 season. If Gerrard could take the captaincy with him when he retires, I'd say he would
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #38: Aug 05, 2014 07:36:04 pm
      I get where you're coming from regarding Sakho, but if memory serves he's amongst the players BR said made up a quiet team.
      OK, some of that is down to language, and maybe when his English is better he could be worth a shout.
      It's a really hard call to make, and I'd only say so far that I prefer the captain to be a midfielder or defender, although I have no idea why  :laugh:

Yeah true but i'd like Sakho to be given more games this season and then to judge him, to me he looks like a born leader but obviously Gerrard is still captain so its not up to him to be commanding higher up the field that is Gerrards job.

I personally would like to see Gerrard hand on the armband before he retires, to give the new captain a chance to assert his authority with enough time before Gerrard leaves. And by Gerrard allowing such a thing to happen it shows the belief he has in the new captain to step up and carry on leading the team.

I get the impression Sami wasn't really comfortable with being captain, that's why he only held it for 1 season. If Gerrard could take the captaincy with him when he retires, I'd say he would

Fair enough, and i wouldn't have a major issue with that but i do have reasons as to why I'd like him to hand it over.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #39: Aug 07, 2014 04:37:59 pm
      Henderson has captain written all over him , he is maturing into a top top player and will be a great leader......when the time comes...he thru time and experience will lead LFC in the future that I have no doubt,
      However,

I think we have a more natural leader in Lovren and I believe he will become our captain when Stevie retires, possibly next season,
      History tells us that most of our captains are generally in the back four where they can see all before them , from big Ronnie Yates, Tommy Smith, to crazy Horse, Tommo, Jocky Hansen etc,
      I love tradition and I think Brendan sees tradition as a important part of our club today, and I think he will appoint Lovren as VC if Daniel decides to move on.

YNWA
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #40: Aug 07, 2014 04:58:25 pm
      Personally I would give it to someone like Henderson. It will be what, 2 years time roughly when Gerrard will hang up the boots. Henderson should have matured by then and hopefully kicked on it terms of being a big game player etc and being really vocal. Especially with Gerrard playing less.

I have a feeling that Rodgers will go for Lovren tho. A leader from the back and a view of the whole pitch.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #41: Aug 07, 2014 05:00:27 pm
      Personally I like captains who are in any position except in attack. Players in defence or in central midfield who can see everything ahead of them (or in the case of midfielders, what's going on both behind and in front of them) take my personal preference.

A captain for me also has to be a great motivator (obviously) with the ability (and the balls) to pull up those not pulling their weight, sometimes you need that kick up the arse to find the next gear.

A captain needs to also set an example both on AND off the field, an exemplar of 'Top Professional'. They must receive (command?) the respect of not only the players, but the staff and also the fans.

I think a captain also needs to have that extra 'something'... with Stevie it is the 'Liverpool born and bred, Liverpool through and through' factor that puts him up there as not only one of THE greatest captains LFC has ever seen, but one of THE best captains in the entire world of football. His desire, drive, class and love for Liverpool FC are all of the things that make us love the man.

So as I sit and write this post, a captain has to make me feel proud of supporting our club (JT's antics over at the chavs sicken me) and their love for the club also plays a massive part of who I believe should be the next captain.

Before recent developments, I'd have said Daniel Agger without even having to think. As for now? Despite the sentimental post, I cannot put my finger on one person in particular.

I am torn between Jordan Henderson and (in the next 4-5 years) John Flanagan. Hendo looks like a player who will be with us much further beyond his current contract and seems to love playing for the club, has shown so much improvement and looks like he can command a team. Flanagan is the sentimental choice for me, and I am fully aware he has a lot of development still to come, but in the next 4-5 years, something inside me hopes that he will grow into a leader of LFC.

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #42: Aug 07, 2014 05:01:25 pm
      Henderson for sure.For some reason he perforns better in the absense of Gerrard.In 2 years he will be bossing the league.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #43: Aug 07, 2014 05:29:18 pm
      I would love Henderson to be our next captain & to be our new vice captain.

He has come through adversity to become an influential figure for us, he is an example to follow with his immense work rate and passion, seems well respected by us fans, players and staff, but most importantly, he comes across as humble and genuine.

He is fast becoming a great player, possibly world class, he really does have all the hallmarks of becoming a great leader.

Another thing I'd like to point out, with us being an English/British club, I always preferred a native English speaking captain, simply for the communication aspect.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #44: Aug 07, 2014 07:07:15 pm
      Henderson has captain written all over him , he is maturing into a top top player 
      If only he could have been able to play alongside a top, top player it would have been beneficial.

Alas...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #45: Aug 07, 2014 07:26:23 pm
      If only he could have been able to play alongside a top, top player it would have been beneficial.

Alas...

Sorry lad, I can't quite grasp what your getting at , would you please explain what you mean ?

YNWA
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #46: Aug 07, 2014 07:37:49 pm
      Sorry lad, I can't quite grasp what your getting at , would you please explain what you mean ?

YNWA
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alex-ferguson-liverpools-steven-gerrard-2479504 ;)

My dry sense of humour mate, sorry.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #47: Aug 07, 2014 07:38:57 pm
      Personally I like captains who are in any position except in attack. Players in defence or in central midfield who can see everything ahead of them (or in the case of midfielders, what's going on both behind and in front of them) take my personal preference.

A captain for me also has to be a great motivator (obviously) with the ability (and the balls) to pull up those not pulling their weight, sometimes you need that kick up the arse to find the next gear.

A captain needs to also set an example both on AND off the field, an exemplar of 'Top Professional'. They must receive (command?) the respect of not only the players, but the staff and also the fans.

I think a captain also needs to have that extra 'something'... with Stevie it is the 'Liverpool born and bred, Liverpool through and through' factor that puts him up there as not only one of THE greatest captains LFC has ever seen, but one of THE best captains in the entire world of football. His desire, drive, class and love for Liverpool FC are all of the things that make us love the man.

So as I sit and write this post, a captain has to make me feel proud of supporting our club (JT's antics over at the chavs sicken me) and their love for the club also plays a massive part of who I believe should be the next captain.

Before recent developments, I'd have said Daniel Agger without even having to think. As for now? Despite the sentimental post, I cannot put my finger on one person in particular.

I am torn between Jordan Henderson and (in the next 4-5 years) John Flanagan. Hendo looks like a player who will be with us much further beyond his current contract and seems to love playing for the club, has shown so much improvement and looks like he can command a team. Flanagan is the sentimental choice for me, and I am fully aware he has a lot of development still to come, but in the next 4-5 years, something inside me hopes that he will grow into a leader of LFC.

Top posting fella, agree with most of it, I hope your right in that both Jordan & Flanno are candidates but only down the road in say 6-7 yrs time especially in Flanno's case,

Who knows what may happen but like I mentioned I think Brendan will opt for Lovren, we've not had the authoratative figure since Carra retired and we missed that last season, for that reason I think Brendan sees Lovren as our organiser and bring more stability to the back 4,

Makes sense to have a natural leader as captain IMO, but firstly he has to earn his stripes as VC first, but only if and when Agger decides his future.

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #48: Aug 07, 2014 07:44:32 pm

Ha, gotcha mate, forgot about that kunt spouting sh*te about our skipper,

No need for apologies either ,

YNWA
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #49: Aug 07, 2014 08:06:30 pm
      Top posting fella, agree with most of it, I hope your right in that both Jordan & Flanno are candidates but only down the road in say 6-7 yrs time especially in Flanno's case,

Who knows what may happen but like I mentioned I think Brendan will opt for Lovren, we've not had the authoratative figure since Carra retired and we missed that last season, for that reason I think Brendan sees Lovren as our organiser and bring more stability to the back 4,

Makes sense to have a natural leader as captain IMO, but firstly he has to earn his stripes as VC first, but only if and when Agger decides his future.

YNWA

Cheers, mate. I just feel personally that being captain of our club should be earned and not simply gifted to someone who has recently joined.

Obviously the flip side of that is someone like Lovren, who Brendan himself has earmarked as the "leader" we have been missing, coming in and being made captain, then theoretically, due to his "leadership qualities" which he has been specifically brought in for, could be the man to enforce his authority upon the squad and carry the team under his leadership.

If in the next couple of seasons he shows those leadership qualities in marshalling our defence then he could possibly earn the captaincy.

I agree on the Flanagan point, mate. He has a long way to go, but I really do hope that the lad makes it big with us.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #50: Aug 07, 2014 09:21:02 pm
      Cheers, mate. I just feel personally that being captain of our club should be earned and not simply gifted to someone who has recently joined.

Obviously the flip side of that is someone like Lovren, who Brendan himself has earmarked as the "leader" we have been missing, coming in and being made captain, then theoretically, due to his "leadership qualities" which he has been specifically brought in for, could be the man to enforce his authority upon the squad and carry the team under his leadership.

If in the next couple of seasons he shows those leadership qualities in marshalling our defence then he could possibly earn the captaincy.

I agree on the Flanagan point, mate. He has a long way to go, but I really do hope that the lad makes it big with us.

Fairy muff mate, whether Lovren has to wait for his stripes or not he's gonna be boss for us, quality defender he is, there is no way we are going to concede anywhere near the 50+ like last season that's for sure,

YNWA
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #51: Aug 07, 2014 11:25:10 pm
      no offense but have you played competitively?

Nope. But I still feel I would run myself into the ground wearing the red shirt. Maybe it's the difference between a fan and a player in that we have different motivations.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #52: Aug 08, 2014 01:09:49 am
      no offense but have you played competitively?

I don't think playing competitively has anything to do with understanding the importance of a motivator in any walks of life :p

I'm not convinced you need a captain who is an on field motivator. Any player who doesn't find wearing the shirt of Liverpool FC motivation enough knows where the door is. So I'm more looking for the guy who is going to find that spark of magic to pull us back into games (as Stevie has done many times not least Istanbul and Cardiff).

I agree, not all captains need to be great on field motivators, as long as there's one or two in the team, it doesn't matter, but ideally, I think it would be better for a captain to not only be a great player, but to be a motivator too, as he'll be the player all will look to for inspiration and leadership.

Nope. But I still feel I would run myself into the ground wearing the red shirt. Maybe it's the difference between a fan and a player in that we have different motivations.

I don't think this is a case of whether you are a fan or not a fan and just a player.

So you are saying that if things weren't going for you, whether it'll be tactical or a goal against, no matter how much you love the club, you would not feel discourage? Because I certainly would, and I'm 99.9% sure that others would feel the same. Whether you would run yourself to the ground wearing the red shirt or not, if it's going against you, I'm certain morale and motivation would drop, and when it drops, this is where your motivational leader or player comes into play.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Aug 08, 2014 07:19:07 am
      In Hendo's favour he never shuts up on the pitch. Always see him screaming at someone to do something.

Really old fashioned, get your ass in to gear and "in your face" kind of character on the pitch. Probably needs a bit more maturing but that will come. Could definitely see him captain.

Could end up being someone not at the club yet either.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #54: Aug 08, 2014 10:03:13 am
      tought that's why we bought llalana? natural replacement for stevie?

if not, lovren or hendo i reckon.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #55: Aug 17, 2014 01:04:12 pm
      Hendo for me, based on the first team regulars / new boys.

Rossiter is not a bad shout from DLS though.....
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #56: Aug 17, 2014 01:06:08 pm
      Sterling, lets turn him into a superstar.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #57: Aug 18, 2014 12:41:15 pm
      Jordan Henderson. Has all the right attributes. Lovren as VC.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Aug 18, 2014 01:06:03 pm
      If someone told me Jordan Henderson could be a Liverpool captain a few years ago I'd have struggled to contain my laughter but after watching him this pre-season I do see a maturity developing in his game.

Someone pointed out (apologies for not looking it up) how they took pleasure in how Jordan barked out at one of the Saints players in the early minutes for a poor challenge, I took pleasure in seeing that too. It's something he's adding to his game, the confidence not only in his place in the team but also in himself as a man is beginning to show.

I also heard him barking out support to loads of lads yesterday and he always has a positive attitude. Leading by example with that workload too, you'd be hard to knock it. So while I still don't think he's captain material right now the ingredients are coming together, should Stevie last a couple more years it would be foolish of me to repeat the mistakes of the past and deny that Jordan just might make it and I'd be delighted for that lad if he could. Amazing what stopping messing about with your hair can do for a bloke :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #59: Aug 18, 2014 02:58:18 pm
      Lovren or Henderson for me.

Lovren just edges it though, was very impressed at the way he marshalled that defence yesterday. As my brother pointed out to me - we've finally found that calm leader at the back we've been missing since Hyypia left.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #60: Aug 18, 2014 03:08:33 pm
      Lovren just edges it though, was very impressed at the way he marshalled that defence yesterday.

Yep - heard someone else suggest it.  Completely bizarre that after just one senior game for us it can be uttered but he did indeed look like 'that kind of player'.  We shall see!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #61: Aug 18, 2014 03:14:31 pm
      Yep - heard someone else suggest it.  Completely bizarre that after just one senior game for us it can be uttered but he did indeed look like 'that kind of player'.  We shall see!

Same way at Hillsborough in 99, we heard a few voices saying "That's they player we've been looking for since Hanson retired" when describing Hyypia's first game for the reds.

If Lovren can go anywhere near to emulating the big Finn, I'd be very happy.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: Aug 18, 2014 03:14:35 pm

Odd isn't it, I'll admit he was in my mind while I was writing the post about Hendo. Much like you suggest though after just 1 game it feels not quite right to put his name forward at this time.

Shows what a good impression he's made though.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #63: Aug 18, 2014 04:08:28 pm
      Toss up between Hendo & Lovren for me, would be happy with both as serving Captain & Vice.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #64: Aug 18, 2014 04:41:57 pm
      Yet to be signed!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #65: Aug 18, 2014 04:51:52 pm
      Was seriously considering Henderson but Lovren is right there in the mix, he does seem to have an air of authority about him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Aug 18, 2014 05:48:18 pm

YNWA

thank fook for that he had me well confused
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #67: Aug 25, 2014 10:48:31 am
      I don't know simply because I'm afraid to say.

The Vice-Captain's armband seems to be the kiss of death and I like Jordan too much to hope he get's the nod for that particular accolade.

That said; it's great to see so many 'nominate' him as future captain. He was captain of England U 21 so his leadership abilities (along with his composure, athleticism and power) have always been there. It'll be no surprise to me if he one day captains the Reds.   ;D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #68: Aug 25, 2014 10:55:34 am
      Hendo, Lovren, Lallana. We have plenty of vocal leaders in the squad now that can all vie for Stevie G's captains band over the next two seasons.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #69: Aug 25, 2014 01:56:53 pm
      Interesting. We should have a poll.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #70: Aug 25, 2014 04:47:19 pm
      Lovren 1/3

Hendo 4/1

Anybody else 16/1
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #71: Aug 25, 2014 05:00:30 pm
      Mario Balotelli ;)
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #72: Aug 25, 2014 05:56:50 pm

He is definitely an example for youngsters  :f_whistle:
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #73: Aug 25, 2014 06:13:20 pm
      our present Vice captain is agger, but I guess this will change in the coming days/weeks

So I guess  who will be our next VC will be an indication
       my guess is henderson- or even Sturridge , it will boost his confidence

Who ever  will be chosen , will be an honour for him to VC/or Captain LIVERPOOL

YNWA
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 28, 2014 09:31:18 pm
      For me, Lallana, he must have been brought in to do the job once Gerrard retires. You must be a pretty good captain to get from League 1 to a comfortable mid table team.

Sakho would be vice captain, Henderson next. Sakho has previous captain experience at PSG, he was a young captain there and did well before they got money invested into. Henderson next as brings passion and hard work to the team, which is needed at times.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #75: Aug 28, 2014 09:42:24 pm
      For me, Lallana, he must have been brought in to do the job once Gerrard retires. You must be a pretty good captain to get from League 1 to a comfortable mid table team.

Sakho would be vice captain, Henderson next. Sakho has previous captain experience at PSG, he was a young captain there and did well before they got money invested into. Henderson next as brings passion and hard work to the team, which is needed at times.

Taking his position on the pitch and taking the captaincy are two very very different things.

With the squad we have now considering departures it would be Henderson.

Respect of your squad is paramount and you can only earn that from battling with them out on the pitch and earning that respect.

Sahko has played very little and is still learning the club and language...Lallana has not played but a small bit in pre-season.

If SG left today I think we would see Hendo (Captain)/Lovren (Vice-Captain)....I would really have a hard time figuring out who else it could be.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #76: Aug 28, 2014 11:07:39 pm
      I always prefer for captain someone that has been in club for a longer time. That is why Hendo would be my first choice. It would be weird for me that someone that just joined the club is named as vice captain until he proves himself.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #77: Aug 29, 2014 09:54:01 am
      we've finally found that calm leader at the back we've been missing since Hyypia left.

he looks the leader of men. disciplined, determined, vocal, hates losing and hates people slacking off. Him captain, Hendo vice captain.

Quick Reply