Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Next LFC captain

Read 5823 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: Next LFC captain
      Reply #23: Aug 04, 2014 11:51:21 pm
      Henderson for me
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Aug 05, 2014 12:03:04 am
      Wouldn't mind a bit of Emre Can!

Then guys like Hendo, Lovren, Lallana or Sakho.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #25: Aug 05, 2014 12:54:18 am
      Not Henderson just yet.  He has to mature.  I see him a lot of the time and his shoulders drop.  I mean he puts the shift in no shadow of doubt, but of yet he isn't on top of my list for captaincy.  Things can change and fully understand the notion.  But not convinced yet.  I think Lovren could be the man myself or Sakho when the time is right for Gerrard to hand over the arm band. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #26: Aug 05, 2014 08:12:06 am
      I'm not convinced you need a captain who is an on field motivator. Any player who doesn't find wearing the shirt of Liverpool FC motivation enough knows where the door is. So I'm more looking for the guy who is going to find that spark of magic to pull us back into games (as Stevie has done many times not least Istanbul and Cardiff). So I'm looking at Sterling Lallana or daft as this might sound Coutinho.

no offense but have you played competitively?  A key characteristic imo is that on field motivation.  if the going is good.. the captian makes sure the lads see the game out... if the going is bad, the captain needs to steady the troops and push for goals.  the onfield direction a solid/well respected captain provides is extremely important. 
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Aug 05, 2014 10:58:48 am
      Agger, I'm serious. The next captain should be Agger, or Skrtel, but they need to prove their worth this season. It's now or never. We have a good squad(except we miss a striker and hopeflly we'll sign 2 fullbacks soon), but next season we have to compete for the EPL and it will be the hardest EPL we'll witness IMO.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #28: Aug 05, 2014 12:55:44 pm
      Agger, I'm serious. The next captain should be Agger, or Skrtel, but they need to prove their worth this season. It's now or never. We have a good squad(except we miss a striker and hopeflly we'll sign 2 fullbacks soon), but next season we have to compete for the EPL and it will be the hardest EPL we'll witness IMO.
      Maybe someone that is actually going to be playing for us in a couple of years when Stevie retires, would be a better option! No?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #29: Aug 05, 2014 01:02:02 pm
      Maybe someone that is actually going to be playing for us in a couple of years when Stevie retires, would be a better option! No?

Was thinking the same.

I struggle to think that Dagger will still be playing for us come September never mind captaining the side when Stevie calls it a day.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #30: Aug 05, 2014 01:02:29 pm
      I pondered the thought of Hendersom, but as strong as his play leads by example with his energy and passion I think he is not a strong enough individual yet to captain our players and to boss them around when needed etc.

We need a captain with passion, heart and it shows in their football as well as there aggression when comanding others, for me the option is Sakho. His already captained PSG at such a young age, his the future captain of France imo. He'd be perfect a true warrior.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Aug 05, 2014 03:31:52 pm
      he is not a strong enough individual yet to captain our players and to boss them around when needed etc.

It's still a good few years away at least so plenty of time for that to change. No stranger to being captain either is he? Wasn't he England U'21 Captain?
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #32: Aug 05, 2014 03:38:56 pm
      Henderson
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #33: Aug 05, 2014 07:20:02 pm
      It's still a good few years away at least so plenty of time for that to change. No stranger to being captain either is he? Wasn't he England U'21 Captain?

That is true, i just think for me Sakho seems more of a leader to me. Don't get me wrong i would love Hendo to be our captain at some point, just think Sakho would be better suited for when Gerrard retires.

Does anyone think Gerrard might want to pass on the arm band? Like what happened with Hyppia and Gerrard.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #34: Aug 05, 2014 07:27:01 pm
      Hasn't Henderson been England U-21 captain?

I'm not necessarily saying he's a future captain for us, I'm just sure I read this somewhere.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #35: Aug 05, 2014 07:28:39 pm
      Hasn't Henderson been England U-21 captain?

I'm not necessarily saying he's a future captain for us, I'm just sure I read this somewhere.

Yeah you and 7KK7 are correct. From what I've seen in matches i just see it being easier for Sakho to command the team than Hendo, but as 7KK7 pointed our there are a good couple of years for him to change that (in my eyes)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Aug 05, 2014 07:33:16 pm
      Yeah you and 7KK7 are correct. From what I've seen in matches i just see it being easier for Sakho to command the team than Hendo, but as 7KK7 pointed our there are a good couple of years for him to change that (in my eyes)

I get where you're coming from regarding Sakho, but if memory serves he's amongst the players BR said made up a quiet team.
      OK, some of that is down to language, and maybe when his English is better he could be worth a shout.
      It's a really hard call to make, and I'd only say so far that I prefer the captain to be a midfielder or defender, although I have no idea why  :laugh:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #37: Aug 05, 2014 07:35:56 pm
      That is true, i just think for me Sakho seems more of a leader to me. Don't get me wrong i would love Hendo to be our captain at some point, just think Sakho would be better suited for when Gerrard retires.  :D
      No doubt Stevie will have a big say in who follows him,  which is why he'll probably suggest Henderson.

Does anyone think Gerrard might want to pass on the arm band? Like what happened with Hyppia and Gerrard.
      I get the impression Sami wasn't really comfortable with being captain, that's why he only held it for 1 season. If Gerrard could take the captaincy with him when he retires, I'd say he would
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #38: Aug 05, 2014 07:36:04 pm
      I get where you're coming from regarding Sakho, but if memory serves he's amongst the players BR said made up a quiet team.
      OK, some of that is down to language, and maybe when his English is better he could be worth a shout.
      It's a really hard call to make, and I'd only say so far that I prefer the captain to be a midfielder or defender, although I have no idea why  :laugh:

Yeah true but i'd like Sakho to be given more games this season and then to judge him, to me he looks like a born leader but obviously Gerrard is still captain so its not up to him to be commanding higher up the field that is Gerrards job.

I personally would like to see Gerrard hand on the armband before he retires, to give the new captain a chance to assert his authority with enough time before Gerrard leaves. And by Gerrard allowing such a thing to happen it shows the belief he has in the new captain to step up and carry on leading the team.

I get the impression Sami wasn't really comfortable with being captain, that's why he only held it for 1 season. If Gerrard could take the captaincy with him when he retires, I'd say he would

Fair enough, and i wouldn't have a major issue with that but i do have reasons as to why I'd like him to hand it over.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #39: Aug 07, 2014 04:37:59 pm
      Henderson has captain written all over him , he is maturing into a top top player and will be a great leader......when the time comes...he thru time and experience will lead LFC in the future that I have no doubt,
      However,

I think we have a more natural leader in Lovren and I believe he will become our captain when Stevie retires, possibly next season,
      History tells us that most of our captains are generally in the back four where they can see all before them , from big Ronnie Yates, Tommy Smith, to crazy Horse, Tommo, Jocky Hansen etc,
      I love tradition and I think Brendan sees tradition as a important part of our club today, and I think he will appoint Lovren as VC if Daniel decides to move on.

YNWA
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #40: Aug 07, 2014 04:58:25 pm
      Personally I would give it to someone like Henderson. It will be what, 2 years time roughly when Gerrard will hang up the boots. Henderson should have matured by then and hopefully kicked on it terms of being a big game player etc and being really vocal. Especially with Gerrard playing less.

I have a feeling that Rodgers will go for Lovren tho. A leader from the back and a view of the whole pitch.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #41: Aug 07, 2014 05:00:27 pm
      Personally I like captains who are in any position except in attack. Players in defence or in central midfield who can see everything ahead of them (or in the case of midfielders, what's going on both behind and in front of them) take my personal preference.

A captain for me also has to be a great motivator (obviously) with the ability (and the balls) to pull up those not pulling their weight, sometimes you need that kick up the arse to find the next gear.

A captain needs to also set an example both on AND off the field, an exemplar of 'Top Professional'. They must receive (command?) the respect of not only the players, but the staff and also the fans.

I think a captain also needs to have that extra 'something'... with Stevie it is the 'Liverpool born and bred, Liverpool through and through' factor that puts him up there as not only one of THE greatest captains LFC has ever seen, but one of THE best captains in the entire world of football. His desire, drive, class and love for Liverpool FC are all of the things that make us love the man.

So as I sit and write this post, a captain has to make me feel proud of supporting our club (JT's antics over at the chavs sicken me) and their love for the club also plays a massive part of who I believe should be the next captain.

Before recent developments, I'd have said Daniel Agger without even having to think. As for now? Despite the sentimental post, I cannot put my finger on one person in particular.

I am torn between Jordan Henderson and (in the next 4-5 years) John Flanagan. Hendo looks like a player who will be with us much further beyond his current contract and seems to love playing for the club, has shown so much improvement and looks like he can command a team. Flanagan is the sentimental choice for me, and I am fully aware he has a lot of development still to come, but in the next 4-5 years, something inside me hopes that he will grow into a leader of LFC.

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #42: Aug 07, 2014 05:01:25 pm
      Henderson for sure.For some reason he perforns better in the absense of Gerrard.In 2 years he will be bossing the league.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #43: Aug 07, 2014 05:29:18 pm
      I would love Henderson to be our next captain & to be our new vice captain.

He has come through adversity to become an influential figure for us, he is an example to follow with his immense work rate and passion, seems well respected by us fans, players and staff, but most importantly, he comes across as humble and genuine.

He is fast becoming a great player, possibly world class, he really does have all the hallmarks of becoming a great leader.

Another thing I'd like to point out, with us being an English/British club, I always preferred a native English speaking captain, simply for the communication aspect.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #44: Aug 07, 2014 07:07:15 pm
      Henderson has captain written all over him , he is maturing into a top top player 
      If only he could have been able to play alongside a top, top player it would have been beneficial.

Alas...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #45: Aug 07, 2014 07:26:23 pm
      If only he could have been able to play alongside a top, top player it would have been beneficial.

Alas...

Sorry lad, I can't quite grasp what your getting at , would you please explain what you mean ?

YNWA

Quick Reply