Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever

Read 5831 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever
      Aug 06, 2014 03:31:16 am
      I was listening to the Anfield Wrap podcast this evening and they were chatting about the comparisons between Sterling and Owen, and it got me thinking.

Over our history, or your memory, who was the young Liverpool player that came through the academy or was signed at a young age, that got you excited about their and our future.

They might have blossomed and become greats for us or for other teams.
      They may well be still developing.
      Or, they never reached the heights of where you thought their careers would go.

To me, young player is under the age of 21.

Some examples being:

Robinson, Kelly, Sterling, Owen, Pacheco, Nemeth, Ince, Coady, Wisdom, Fowler, Gerrard, Callaghan, Redknapp, Rush, Spearing,

To me, as a supporter for 33 years, i have to say that Raheem Sterling is by far the most exciting and prospective top top class player i have ever seen at LFC.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever
      Reply #1: Aug 06, 2014 03:38:03 am
      Phil Thompson, Chris Lawler, Tommy Smith, and the list is endless from the 1960s
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2: Aug 06, 2014 03:54:20 am
      Phil Thompson, Chris Lawler, Tommy Smith, and the list is endless from the 1960s

Sure is Billy1. It's a very long list.

As you have seen a huge amount of them come through the ranks, would love to know whom of those under the age of 21, were the most promising to you?

As you have seen a huge amount of them come through the ranks, would love to know whom of those under the age of 21, were the most promising to you?
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #3: Aug 06, 2014 04:00:53 am
      Alun Evans and Rob Jones. Where those two jinxed or what?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #4: Aug 06, 2014 04:13:03 am
      For me and it is hard to say it was Owen. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Aug 06, 2014 07:11:11 am
      Proof is in the pudding in our skipper Stevie G, there is a whole plethora of players before him, another stand out is Carra, Fowler, Rob Jones, judas Owen,  mcmanaman , for more recent times,
      Sterling obviously being the latest has a very bright future, as has, Ibe, Suso, Rossiter, Randall, Tricky-smith, Mcglaughlin, amongst other promising lads I'd like to think we have a conveyer belt of future superstars in our midst but unfortunately their not all going to make it,

We have Sterling right now but I think Ibe can be better IMO, exciting times ahead indeed !

YNWA
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #6: Aug 06, 2014 07:25:26 am
      Used to try and get to every reserve match a good few years ago, got to say the one who excited me the most at that time was Niel Mellor at times he was unstoppable in the reserves still to this day can't believe he didn't make it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Aug 06, 2014 08:16:02 am
      If you break it down to the players who actually set the record for youngest player ever, currently Jerome Sinclair, then the player who made the greatest impact would have to be the great Ian Callaghan. Debut in 1960 at 17 we got 18 years out of him and over 800 games. Unreal.

Michael Owen would have to be next ahead of Raheem. No matter the opinion of him nobody can deny the impact he had. Raheem would come next for me.

As for players who didn't actually break the record for youngest player well as stated its endless. Fowler, Rush and Gerrard must be mentioned
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014 08:44:40 am by Brian78 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Aug 06, 2014 08:31:48 am

The late great Billy Liddell was only 16 when we signed him on amateur forms in 1938,it was 1947 before I was able to see Billy play and he is the stand out player in my eyes.
      He had so much skill, stamina and above all loyalty to Liverpool Football Club.
      Roger Hunt was only 20 when he signed as an amateur and other worthy players who meet the criteria are, Gerry Byrne, Ian Callaghan, Sammy Lee, Ronnie Moran. All players who played for us on merit. I know that I will have missed players out and I apologise to that. In finishing what has happened to our local lads, why are they not making the grade these days, it gave us so much pride to see a good Liverpool Lad make the grade.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #9: Aug 06, 2014 09:30:30 am
      Michael Owen by some distance for me.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Reply #10: Aug 06, 2014 10:30:40 am
      Yup I'm in the Michael Owen bandwagon as well.

The best young player I've seen in a red shirt (I have been a red since 2000).
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Aug 06, 2014 10:53:17 am
      Considering the quality of opposition, goals scored, matches affected & fear-factor, I'd say it's between Owen, Sterling and Fowler - with Fowler just shading it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #12: Aug 06, 2014 11:10:58 am
      Wayne Harrison.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Aug 06, 2014 11:17:35 am
      Michael Owen without a shadow of a doubt. World beater at 18. Incredible speed, incredible finisher. England's best player of the last 40 years, won many trophies with us yet career sadly derailed by poor judgement and horrendous injuries. Even though he may not have been the most affectionate of individuals, I loved him in the red shirt as he would strike fear into the very best teams be it for Liverpool or England. He may have joined Manchester United later on and left for Real under less than ideal circumstances, I still prefer to remember him as that brilliant Liverpool player. It may be sentimentality from childhood but at the end of the day those are the ones you value most and I continue to place Michael in my highest regards!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: Aug 06, 2014 11:23:01 am
      Raheem Sterling and Michael Owen have more raw talent than any other teenager I've seen at the club
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15: Aug 06, 2014 11:42:51 am
      If you break it down to the players who actually set the record for youngest player ever, currently Jerome Sinclair, then the player who made the greatest impact would have to be the great Ian Callaghan. Debut in 1960 at 17 we got 18 years out of him and over 800 games. Unreal.

Michael Owen would have to be next ahead of Raheem. No matter the opinion of him nobody can deny the impact he had. Raheem would come next for me.

As for players who didn't actually break the record for youngest player well as stated its endless. Fowler, Rush and Gerrard must be mentioned

Ian Callaghan is a legend Brian, he as well made an instant mark and his faithful service to LFC sets him apart - if we had him now at virtually any level of his outstanding career how much would he improve the side?
      His consistency was unbelievable.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16: Aug 06, 2014 12:29:05 pm
      Owen for me.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #17: Aug 06, 2014 12:39:29 pm
      The fact Sterling came on to the scene but then was taken out of the limelight for half a season, as he lost his early promise for me puts him behind a few of the young uns I've seen break through. It's a straight toss up for me between Fowler and Owen and if I'm honest it has to be Owen. He hit the ground running and tore every defence to pieces. I must admit though if a young lad comes in like Owen and Fowler and starts banging them in for fun they get the immediate star status, unlike say a Gerrard and McManaman who grow into it through consistent displays.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18: Aug 06, 2014 01:24:19 pm
      The fact Sterling came on to the scene but then was taken out of the limelight for half a season, as he lost his early promise for me puts him behind a few of the young uns I've seen break through. It's a straight toss up for me between Fowler and Owen and if I'm honest it has to be Owen. He hit the ground running and tore every defence to pieces. I must admit though if a young lad comes in like Owen and Fowler and starts banging them in for fun they get the immediate star status, unlike say a Gerrard and McManaman who grow into it through consistent displays.

Gerrard was a talent and you could see that from the very beginning, he also had growing pains or something similar which saw him miss a few games early on. But he, IMO soon grew into one of the best midfielders our club has ever had, and one of the best in the world.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Aug 06, 2014 01:25:07 pm
      Owen, Fowler, McManaman and Gerrard.

Owen would be my pick. 
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #20: Aug 06, 2014 01:55:14 pm
      Hate to say it, but it has to be Micheal Owen.

He came on stage with a bang and continued.

Gerrard cos he ended up having a great career, but as a young lad Micheal Owen had a greater impact.

Steve Mac, Fowler & Rednapp were also good.

But for me Its Owen as much as I hate to admit it.

Raheem started brighly, dipped a bit but has now picked up.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #21: Aug 06, 2014 07:44:25 pm
      Michael Owen

His winner against Le Arse in FA cup final was the most memorable Michael Owen moment for me. Some people will say the goal against Argentina when he was just 18!

Ridiculous talent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Aug 06, 2014 07:47:09 pm
      Hate, hate, hate, HATE that I have to go for Owen. Regardless of everything, it takes something special to win the Ballon D'or at such a young age, especially in an era of Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo etc.

Quick Reply