Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever

Read 5833 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever
      Aug 06, 2014 03:31:16 am
      I was listening to the Anfield Wrap podcast this evening and they were chatting about the comparisons between Sterling and Owen, and it got me thinking.

Over our history, or your memory, who was the young Liverpool player that came through the academy or was signed at a young age, that got you excited about their and our future.

They might have blossomed and become greats for us or for other teams.
      They may well be still developing.
      Or, they never reached the heights of where you thought their careers would go.

To me, young player is under the age of 21.

Some examples being:

Robinson, Kelly, Sterling, Owen, Pacheco, Nemeth, Ince, Coady, Wisdom, Fowler, Gerrard, Callaghan, Redknapp, Rush, Spearing,

To me, as a supporter for 33 years, i have to say that Raheem Sterling is by far the most exciting and prospective top top class player i have ever seen at LFC.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever
      Reply #1: Aug 06, 2014 03:38:03 am
      Phil Thompson, Chris Lawler, Tommy Smith, and the list is endless from the 1960s
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2: Aug 06, 2014 03:54:20 am
      Phil Thompson, Chris Lawler, Tommy Smith, and the list is endless from the 1960s

Sure is Billy1. It's a very long list.

As you have seen a huge amount of them come through the ranks, would love to know whom of those under the age of 21, were the most promising to you?

As you have seen a huge amount of them come through the ranks, would love to know whom of those under the age of 21, were the most promising to you?
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #3: Aug 06, 2014 04:00:53 am
      Alun Evans and Rob Jones. Where those two jinxed or what?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #4: Aug 06, 2014 04:13:03 am
      For me and it is hard to say it was Owen. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Aug 06, 2014 07:11:11 am
      Proof is in the pudding in our skipper Stevie G, there is a whole plethora of players before him, another stand out is Carra, Fowler, Rob Jones, judas Owen,  mcmanaman , for more recent times,
      Sterling obviously being the latest has a very bright future, as has, Ibe, Suso, Rossiter, Randall, Tricky-smith, Mcglaughlin, amongst other promising lads I'd like to think we have a conveyer belt of future superstars in our midst but unfortunately their not all going to make it,

We have Sterling right now but I think Ibe can be better IMO, exciting times ahead indeed !

YNWA
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #6: Aug 06, 2014 07:25:26 am
      Used to try and get to every reserve match a good few years ago, got to say the one who excited me the most at that time was Niel Mellor at times he was unstoppable in the reserves still to this day can't believe he didn't make it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Aug 06, 2014 08:16:02 am
      If you break it down to the players who actually set the record for youngest player ever, currently Jerome Sinclair, then the player who made the greatest impact would have to be the great Ian Callaghan. Debut in 1960 at 17 we got 18 years out of him and over 800 games. Unreal.

Michael Owen would have to be next ahead of Raheem. No matter the opinion of him nobody can deny the impact he had. Raheem would come next for me.

As for players who didn't actually break the record for youngest player well as stated its endless. Fowler, Rush and Gerrard must be mentioned
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014 08:44:40 am by Brian78 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Aug 06, 2014 08:31:48 am

The late great Billy Liddell was only 16 when we signed him on amateur forms in 1938,it was 1947 before I was able to see Billy play and he is the stand out player in my eyes.
      He had so much skill, stamina and above all loyalty to Liverpool Football Club.
      Roger Hunt was only 20 when he signed as an amateur and other worthy players who meet the criteria are, Gerry Byrne, Ian Callaghan, Sammy Lee, Ronnie Moran. All players who played for us on merit. I know that I will have missed players out and I apologise to that. In finishing what has happened to our local lads, why are they not making the grade these days, it gave us so much pride to see a good Liverpool Lad make the grade.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #9: Aug 06, 2014 09:30:30 am
      Michael Owen by some distance for me.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #10: Aug 06, 2014 10:30:40 am
      Yup I'm in the Michael Owen bandwagon as well.

The best young player I've seen in a red shirt (I have been a red since 2000).
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Aug 06, 2014 10:53:17 am
      Considering the quality of opposition, goals scored, matches affected & fear-factor, I'd say it's between Owen, Sterling and Fowler - with Fowler just shading it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #12: Aug 06, 2014 11:10:58 am
      Wayne Harrison.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Aug 06, 2014 11:17:35 am
      Michael Owen without a shadow of a doubt. World beater at 18. Incredible speed, incredible finisher. England's best player of the last 40 years, won many trophies with us yet career sadly derailed by poor judgement and horrendous injuries. Even though he may not have been the most affectionate of individuals, I loved him in the red shirt as he would strike fear into the very best teams be it for Liverpool or England. He may have joined Manchester United later on and left for Real under less than ideal circumstances, I still prefer to remember him as that brilliant Liverpool player. It may be sentimentality from childhood but at the end of the day those are the ones you value most and I continue to place Michael in my highest regards!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: Aug 06, 2014 11:23:01 am
      Raheem Sterling and Michael Owen have more raw talent than any other teenager I've seen at the club
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15: Aug 06, 2014 11:42:51 am
      If you break it down to the players who actually set the record for youngest player ever, currently Jerome Sinclair, then the player who made the greatest impact would have to be the great Ian Callaghan. Debut in 1960 at 17 we got 18 years out of him and over 800 games. Unreal.

Michael Owen would have to be next ahead of Raheem. No matter the opinion of him nobody can deny the impact he had. Raheem would come next for me.

As for players who didn't actually break the record for youngest player well as stated its endless. Fowler, Rush and Gerrard must be mentioned

Ian Callaghan is a legend Brian, he as well made an instant mark and his faithful service to LFC sets him apart - if we had him now at virtually any level of his outstanding career how much would he improve the side?
      His consistency was unbelievable.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16: Aug 06, 2014 12:29:05 pm
      Owen for me.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #17: Aug 06, 2014 12:39:29 pm
      The fact Sterling came on to the scene but then was taken out of the limelight for half a season, as he lost his early promise for me puts him behind a few of the young uns I've seen break through. It's a straight toss up for me between Fowler and Owen and if I'm honest it has to be Owen. He hit the ground running and tore every defence to pieces. I must admit though if a young lad comes in like Owen and Fowler and starts banging them in for fun they get the immediate star status, unlike say a Gerrard and McManaman who grow into it through consistent displays.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18: Aug 06, 2014 01:24:19 pm
      The fact Sterling came on to the scene but then was taken out of the limelight for half a season, as he lost his early promise for me puts him behind a few of the young uns I've seen break through. It's a straight toss up for me between Fowler and Owen and if I'm honest it has to be Owen. He hit the ground running and tore every defence to pieces. I must admit though if a young lad comes in like Owen and Fowler and starts banging them in for fun they get the immediate star status, unlike say a Gerrard and McManaman who grow into it through consistent displays.

Gerrard was a talent and you could see that from the very beginning, he also had growing pains or something similar which saw him miss a few games early on. But he, IMO soon grew into one of the best midfielders our club has ever had, and one of the best in the world.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Aug 06, 2014 01:25:07 pm
      Owen, Fowler, McManaman and Gerrard.

Owen would be my pick. 
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #20: Aug 06, 2014 01:55:14 pm
      Hate to say it, but it has to be Micheal Owen.

He came on stage with a bang and continued.

Gerrard cos he ended up having a great career, but as a young lad Micheal Owen had a greater impact.

Steve Mac, Fowler & Rednapp were also good.

But for me Its Owen as much as I hate to admit it.

Raheem started brighly, dipped a bit but has now picked up.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #21: Aug 06, 2014 07:44:25 pm
      Michael Owen

His winner against Le Arse in FA cup final was the most memorable Michael Owen moment for me. Some people will say the goal against Argentina when he was just 18!

Ridiculous talent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Aug 06, 2014 07:47:09 pm
      Hate, hate, hate, HATE that I have to go for Owen. Regardless of everything, it takes something special to win the Ballon D'or at such a young age, especially in an era of Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo etc.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #23: Aug 06, 2014 08:56:16 pm
      Between the age 17-21 Owen set the standard.  He was breaking records getting personal accolades, nominations in the short lists of the biggest awards of football.  Just a shame that he decided to be tw*t and then deservedly fell belly up. 
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #24: Aug 06, 2014 09:00:04 pm
      Fowler for me mateys .
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #25: Aug 06, 2014 10:12:24 pm
      From my limited viewing years, Owen impact wise and potential wise i would say Sterling and Ibe.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #26: Aug 06, 2014 11:07:33 pm
      Owen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Aug 06, 2014 11:53:27 pm
      I'm glad we've got LFCtv nowadays. Watching Sterling at youth level has been revitalising at a time when the first team were struggling.

That said, Fowler breaking through is one of my earliest footballing memories.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #28: Aug 07, 2014 01:07:21 am

Is that the lad we got from Oldham, Pete? Me arl fella always talks about what a future he had.

My picks, for those who didn't make it include - Ritchie Partridge, Lee Jones and though not through our youth system, we did buy him at 20 - Chrissy Kirkland. The hype surrounding the young keeper when we got him and then he turned out to be a bit of a let down (injuries didn't help of course)

For those who did make it, Fowler end of. To have 10 goals (including two hat tricks) in your first ten games is exceptional. Follow that with three consecutive years of scoring 30 plus goals by the age of 22. The fastest hat-trick in history at the age of 19. I'm not gonna lie, I am biased towards Robbie for a number of reasons. But what that fella done at a young age was, for me, the greatest young 'un in our history.

If that injury against Everton, of all F***ing cu*ts, in 98 hadn't happened then I reckon he'd of been our all time top goalscorer (eventually)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #29: Aug 07, 2014 02:15:34 am
      Niel Mellor at times he was unstoppable in the reserves still to this day can't believe he didn't make it.

Pesky knees.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #30: Aug 07, 2014 09:57:16 am
      Fowler. No question.

My first game I saw him smash 5 in against Fulham. He has been my hero ever since.

As much as I hate Owen, he was exciting when he burst onto the scene but that was mostly due to his explosive pace. Talent wise, nobody comes close to Fowler. Still the best 'natural finisher' I've ever seen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #31: Aug 07, 2014 11:24:53 am
      Is that the lad we got from Oldham, Pete? Me arl fella always talks about what a future he had.

Yep, died last christmas.

Was definitely seen as the eventual successor to Rush, never happened, terrible injury in the reserves finished his career.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Aug 07, 2014 11:47:35 am
      Callaghan,Thomo,Fowler,Owen,Gerrard,Sterling.
      Hopefully we can add Ibe and a few others to that list shortly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Aug 08, 2014 07:30:32 am
      It's pretty sad that since Owen, the only name that comes up is Raheem. That's a good decade between players.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #34: Aug 11, 2014 09:52:58 pm
      Owen, Gerrard, Stirling
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Aug 11, 2014 10:38:27 pm
      Sterling could well eclipse Owen before long.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #36: Aug 11, 2014 11:04:11 pm
      I think Owen made the bigger impact as an 18 year old, I mean going to a World Cup, scoring a wonder goal and everything, but Sterling could well play for longer at the top of his game, providing he stays relatively injury free. Once Owen fu**ed his hammies up it was downhill pretty quick, whereas Sterling looks like he has a lot more in his locker than just raw pace.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #37: Aug 11, 2014 11:32:32 pm
      Owen... But I believe Sterling will go on to be the better player in time
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #38: Aug 12, 2014 11:27:46 pm
      Owen
      When I first saw him against Wimbledon I was gob smacked
      I'd never seen before a player with that speed I was speechless..
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #39: Aug 13, 2014 11:32:18 pm
      Steven Gerrard. He was young when he first played.
      He wasn't a converted Evertonian either.
      Gerrard is the best young player to come through the ranks.
      Full stop from me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #40: Aug 15, 2014 02:11:42 am
      Steven Gerrard. He was young when he first played.
      He wasn't a converted Evertonian either.
      Gerrard is the best young player to come through the ranks.
      Full stop from me.

He just made this really bad choice as a kid! In the reserves he wasn't even rated as the best player in his age group either!!

And no even at that age, you wouldn't have got me in their sh*t strip.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #41: Aug 15, 2014 08:24:00 am
      He just made this really bad choice as a kid! In the reserves he wasn't even rated as the best player in his age group either!!

That's their strip but whose F***ing trophy cabinet is that??
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #42: Aug 15, 2014 08:37:29 am
      That's their strip but whose f**king trophy cabinet is that??

There's from the 80's ain't it ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #43: Aug 15, 2014 08:46:26 am
      There's from the 80's ain't it ?

I know Steve, every dog and all stuff.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #44: Aug 15, 2014 08:52:00 am
      I know Steve, every dog and all stuff.

Such a long time ago though, eh Stuey :f_tongueincheek:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #45: Aug 15, 2014 09:04:46 am
      Such a long time ago though, eh Stuey :f_tongueincheek:

It's only them who remember mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #46: Aug 15, 2014 01:24:05 pm
      That's their strip but whose F***ing trophy cabinet is that??

Everton's! 1986/1987 they won the league and charity shield in that kit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #47: Aug 15, 2014 01:46:32 pm
      I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Sterling.
      Someone will need to find this thread in 5 years time and tell me if I'm right or wrong  :laugh:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #48: Aug 15, 2014 01:48:48 pm
      Everton's! 1986/1987 they won the league and charity shield in that kit.

I know mate but the cabinet's been echoing since then.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #49: Aug 15, 2014 09:13:48 pm
      I know mate but the cabinet's been echoing since then.

It's a bit F***ing dusty now!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #50: Aug 20, 2014 01:27:21 am
      I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Sterling.
      Someone will need to find this thread in 5 years time and tell me if I'm right or wrong  :laugh:

I totally agree Swab.
      He was the reason i started this thread.
      I really think that his rapid progression from a youngster with good potential to a player that really could be world class is remarkable.
      He has some many parts to his game and an attitude and desire to keep humble, to learn and work hard to improve.
      We have had some fantastic players come through but he really could be the best. Very excited by him
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #51: Aug 20, 2014 01:56:56 am
      I know this means nothing.  But I think if Sterling was put in the Owen era.  I think he would have been better.  Just think defenses are more prepared against lightening speed these days.  And at that time with his vision, calmness, work rate he would have instantly risen to the top.  But again that means nothing.  Hopefully he will make it now in the coming months and seasons.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #52: Aug 20, 2014 02:24:13 am
      If only you could put Sterling in a time machine and send him to the year 98 - he'd tear teams apart (he does now even)!

I believe football has evolved a lot since then. Owen was incredible nonetheless and relative to time, Owen was the best imo.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #53: Aug 20, 2014 06:06:13 am

Never heard of him.  What position did he play?  And with a name like that it should have been a red flag as to not signing him.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2014 06:16:53 am by JC16 »
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #54: Aug 23, 2014 09:32:09 am
      Owen, but Sterling is still young so time to get past Judas Owen
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #55: Aug 23, 2014 09:34:41 am
      Got to be Gerrard hasn't it? Or, am I missing something here? Gerrard was young when he started soooo
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #56: Aug 23, 2014 09:43:03 am
      Got to be Gerrard hasn't it? Or, am I missing something here? Gerrard was young when he started soooo

I think he's become one of our greatest but I don't think he was our 'best' young player.  Partly due to the fact that I think Goalies, defenders and midfielders come in to their own later, as the odd mistake can be forgiven of a young striker/forward, but less so with other positions.  Not that I think it's right, just the way it is. 
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #57: Aug 23, 2014 10:22:25 am
      I think he's become one of our greatest but I don't think he was our 'best' young player.  Partly due to the fact that I think Goalies, defenders and midfielders come in to their own later, as the odd mistake can be forgiven of a young striker/forward, but less so with other positions.  Not that I think it's right, just the way it is. 

I dont know if I'm remembering it wrong but I'm sure he impressed me when he first came into the team to the same level as any striker did and cosistantly improved or made his talents more refined.
      I get what you're saying and it's a good point. He's stll my choice though because he made an impact straight away in an influential part of the pitch.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #58: Aug 23, 2014 10:55:30 am

Didn't he say he was made to do it by an uncle?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #59: Aug 23, 2014 11:11:15 am

Soz if I failed to respond to this, for some reason I don't always know where I've posted or how look out for resposes to my posts, it's a flaw of mine.
      This came to my attention because you got quoted today and I saw i've only just saw it.
      As Brian78 said, I'm sure he said he did it for his uncle or something.
      N3M0N
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #60: Aug 24, 2014 10:12:36 am
      Fowler. In his second season he scored 31 goals as 20-years-old lad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #61: Aug 24, 2014 11:43:54 am
      I'm not sure if I'm alone but I completely forgot about Stevie when posting in here as I was thinking of players who didn't play for us anymore for some reason.

Liverpool's best ever young player?

Surely it has to be the skipper.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #62: Aug 24, 2014 12:25:43 pm
       Chris Lawler was an immaculate footballer 19 was very young for a player when he started .
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Lawler
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #63: Aug 24, 2014 12:36:35 pm
      Is this a very young forum or are people just basing answers on the premiership era?

I see Walton suggests silent night Chris Lawler and I suggested Ian Callaghan but nearly every other post is Owen Fowler or incredibly Raheem!   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #64: Aug 24, 2014 12:46:42 pm
      Is this a very young forum or are people just basing answers on the premiership era?

I see Walton suggests silent night Chris Lawler and I suggested Ian Callaghan but nearly every other post is Owen Fowler or incredibly Raheem!   

Cally has got to be a good shout, it is about the best youth but when you consider what he went on to achieve and those qualities were inherent for all to see in his early days, Ian Callaghan strolls it. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #65: Aug 24, 2014 12:51:37 pm
      Cally has got to be a good shout, it is about the best youth but when you consider what he went on to achieve and those qualities were inherent for all to see in his early days, Ian Callaghan strolls it. 

As I said in my post at the time mate over 800 games over an 18 year period debut at 17 won everything. Don't see how any other comes close. 5 leagues 2 FA cups 2 European cups 2 UEFA cups and a super cup. Unreal
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Aug 24, 2014 12:54:27 pm
      As I said in my post at the time mate over 800 games over an 18 year period debut at 17 won everything. Don't see how any other comes close. 5 leagues 2 FA cups 2 European cups 2 UEFA cups and a super cup. Unreal

both Ian Callaghan and Chris Lawler often get overlooked because they were the perfect professional footballer.Ian Callaghan also adapted his game as he got older  just like Stevie has had to do.God bless them all they have given us so many great memories.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #67: Aug 24, 2014 08:47:57 pm
      Ian Callaghan was the  standard every young  player should aim to emulate. In the 1960s we had so many loyal players who wore our RED SHIRT with pride and gave everything for the Liverpool cause.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #68: Sep 04, 2014 05:59:17 pm
      Sterling over the last couple of weeks is showing once again the reason for why I started this thread.
      To me, out of all the youngsters with massive potential,that have emerged for us over the decades, is the player I look to as the one with best chance of being top of the pile.
      Versatile across the forward line, maturity beyond his years, integral to our system and hopeful success and technically brilliant.
      A player any team in the world would want right now.
      He is showing us all what a well rounded, versatile and potentially world class player he is.

Quick Reply