Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever

Read 5829 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Re: Liverpool's Best Young Player Ever
      Reply #46: Aug 15, 2014 01:24:05 pm
      That's their strip but whose F***ing trophy cabinet is that??

Everton's! 1986/1987 they won the league and charity shield in that kit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #47: Aug 15, 2014 01:46:32 pm
      I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Sterling.
      Someone will need to find this thread in 5 years time and tell me if I'm right or wrong  :laugh:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #48: Aug 15, 2014 01:48:48 pm
      Everton's! 1986/1987 they won the league and charity shield in that kit.

I know mate but the cabinet's been echoing since then.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #49: Aug 15, 2014 09:13:48 pm
      I know mate but the cabinet's been echoing since then.

It's a bit F***ing dusty now!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #50: Aug 20, 2014 01:27:21 am
      I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Sterling.
      Someone will need to find this thread in 5 years time and tell me if I'm right or wrong  :laugh:

I totally agree Swab.
      He was the reason i started this thread.
      I really think that his rapid progression from a youngster with good potential to a player that really could be world class is remarkable.
      He has some many parts to his game and an attitude and desire to keep humble, to learn and work hard to improve.
      We have had some fantastic players come through but he really could be the best. Very excited by him
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #51: Aug 20, 2014 01:56:56 am
      I know this means nothing.  But I think if Sterling was put in the Owen era.  I think he would have been better.  Just think defenses are more prepared against lightening speed these days.  And at that time with his vision, calmness, work rate he would have instantly risen to the top.  But again that means nothing.  Hopefully he will make it now in the coming months and seasons.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #52: Aug 20, 2014 02:24:13 am
      If only you could put Sterling in a time machine and send him to the year 98 - he'd tear teams apart (he does now even)!

I believe football has evolved a lot since then. Owen was incredible nonetheless and relative to time, Owen was the best imo.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #53: Aug 20, 2014 06:06:13 am

Never heard of him.  What position did he play?  And with a name like that it should have been a red flag as to not signing him.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2014 06:16:53 am by JC16 »
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #54: Aug 23, 2014 09:32:09 am
      Owen, but Sterling is still young so time to get past Judas Owen
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #55: Aug 23, 2014 09:34:41 am
      Got to be Gerrard hasn't it? Or, am I missing something here? Gerrard was young when he started soooo
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #56: Aug 23, 2014 09:43:03 am
      Got to be Gerrard hasn't it? Or, am I missing something here? Gerrard was young when he started soooo

I think he's become one of our greatest but I don't think he was our 'best' young player.  Partly due to the fact that I think Goalies, defenders and midfielders come in to their own later, as the odd mistake can be forgiven of a young striker/forward, but less so with other positions.  Not that I think it's right, just the way it is. 
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #57: Aug 23, 2014 10:22:25 am
      I think he's become one of our greatest but I don't think he was our 'best' young player.  Partly due to the fact that I think Goalies, defenders and midfielders come in to their own later, as the odd mistake can be forgiven of a young striker/forward, but less so with other positions.  Not that I think it's right, just the way it is. 

I dont know if I'm remembering it wrong but I'm sure he impressed me when he first came into the team to the same level as any striker did and cosistantly improved or made his talents more refined.
      I get what you're saying and it's a good point. He's stll my choice though because he made an impact straight away in an influential part of the pitch.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #58: Aug 23, 2014 10:55:30 am
      He just made this really bad choice as a kid! In the reserves he wasn't even rated as the best player in his age group either!!

And no even at that age, you wouldn't have got me in their sh*t strip.

Didn't he say he was made to do it by an uncle?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #59: Aug 23, 2014 11:11:15 am
      He just made this really bad choice as a kid! In the reserves he wasn't even rated as the best player in his age group either!!

And no even at that age, you wouldn't have got me in their sh*t strip.

Soz if I failed to respond to this, for some reason I don't always know where I've posted or how look out for resposes to my posts, it's a flaw of mine.
      This came to my attention because you got quoted today and I saw i've only just saw it.
      As Brian78 said, I'm sure he said he did it for his uncle or something.
      N3M0N
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #60: Aug 24, 2014 10:12:36 am
      Fowler. In his second season he scored 31 goals as 20-years-old lad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #61: Aug 24, 2014 11:43:54 am
      I'm not sure if I'm alone but I completely forgot about Stevie when posting in here as I was thinking of players who didn't play for us anymore for some reason.

Liverpool's best ever young player?

Surely it has to be the skipper.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #62: Aug 24, 2014 12:25:43 pm
       Chris Lawler was an immaculate footballer 19 was very young for a player when he started .
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Lawler
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      Reply #63: Aug 24, 2014 12:36:35 pm
      Is this a very young forum or are people just basing answers on the premiership era?

I see Walton suggests silent night Chris Lawler and I suggested Ian Callaghan but nearly every other post is Owen Fowler or incredibly Raheem!   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #64: Aug 24, 2014 12:46:42 pm
      Is this a very young forum or are people just basing answers on the premiership era?

I see Walton suggests silent night Chris Lawler and I suggested Ian Callaghan but nearly every other post is Owen Fowler or incredibly Raheem!   

Cally has got to be a good shout, it is about the best youth but when you consider what he went on to achieve and those qualities were inherent for all to see in his early days, Ian Callaghan strolls it. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      Reply #65: Aug 24, 2014 12:51:37 pm
      Cally has got to be a good shout, it is about the best youth but when you consider what he went on to achieve and those qualities were inherent for all to see in his early days, Ian Callaghan strolls it. 

As I said in my post at the time mate over 800 games over an 18 year period debut at 17 won everything. Don't see how any other comes close. 5 leagues 2 FA cups 2 European cups 2 UEFA cups and a super cup. Unreal
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Aug 24, 2014 12:54:27 pm
      As I said in my post at the time mate over 800 games over an 18 year period debut at 17 won everything. Don't see how any other comes close. 5 leagues 2 FA cups 2 European cups 2 UEFA cups and a super cup. Unreal

both Ian Callaghan and Chris Lawler often get overlooked because they were the perfect professional footballer.Ian Callaghan also adapted his game as he got older  just like Stevie has had to do.God bless them all they have given us so many great memories.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #67: Aug 24, 2014 08:47:57 pm
      Ian Callaghan was the  standard every young  player should aim to emulate. In the 1960s we had so many loyal players who wore our RED SHIRT with pride and gave everything for the Liverpool cause.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #68: Sep 04, 2014 05:59:17 pm
      Sterling over the last couple of weeks is showing once again the reason for why I started this thread.
      To me, out of all the youngsters with massive potential,that have emerged for us over the decades, is the player I look to as the one with best chance of being top of the pile.
      Versatile across the forward line, maturity beyond his years, integral to our system and hopeful success and technically brilliant.
      A player any team in the world would want right now.
      He is showing us all what a well rounded, versatile and potentially world class player he is.

Quick Reply