Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Javier Manquillo

Read 31150 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Javier Manquillo Player Thread
      Reply #138: Feb 16, 2015 08:28:27 pm
      I think he has a buy back clause after his first season and we will get the option to buy him after 2nd year of his loan if im correct.Maybe BR will play him more next season.

Why would there be a buy back clause after the first season? There is an option to buy him after the first season if that's what you mean? There wont be a buy back clause yet because he hasn't been sold.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #139: Feb 20, 2015 02:09:53 pm
      i liked the look of him  but as the season has gone on he's looked a little nervous and for me is not good enough. i hope Ilori can come in and play RB.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #140: Feb 20, 2015 04:23:13 pm
      i liked the look of him  but as the season has gone on he's looked a little nervous and for me is not good enough. i hope Ilori can come in and play RB.

I think Wisdom is more likely to play RB than Ilori. Ilori looks good for that RCB role though as part of a 3.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #141: Feb 25, 2015 04:21:42 pm
      was this a 2yr loan as i think Madrid will be taking him back this summer with Wisdom, Flanno back next season plus we will probably dip into the market and maybe move on one or two.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #142: Feb 25, 2015 05:47:34 pm
      Why would there be a buy back clause after the first season? There is an option to buy him after the first season if that's what you mean? There wont be a buy back clause yet because he hasn't been sold.
      My mistake.
      I meant to say that based on his performance Athletico could call him back after his first loan season but after both his seasons we have the option to buy him for 4 million or a similar figure.Should've written call back instead of buy  :D
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #143: Feb 26, 2015 08:48:01 am
      Based on what we've seen of him so far he's not the man for us as RWB dont think his final delivery is good enough to play that role. he just seems like a willing runner, decent at tackling and tracking  back but not skillful enough to be a top sides RWB
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #144: Feb 26, 2015 04:52:13 pm
      Not sure why he'd be kept after the loan stint... With Wisdom and Ilori back from loans, Flanno fit (hopefully), and hopefully a breakthrough soon for young Ryan McLaughlin, we have plenty of options on the right for the next few years.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #145: Feb 26, 2015 06:06:37 pm
      Not sure why he'd be kept after the loan stint... With Wisdom and Ilori back from loans, Flanno fit (hopefully), and hopefully a breakthrough soon for young Ryan McLaughlin, we have plenty of options on the right for the next few years.

Probably because Wisdom, Mclaughlin and Flanno are all less experienced and at this time not as good?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #146: Feb 27, 2015 04:30:13 am
      I've like him, what I have seen of him this season, but he was out of his depth tonight. Very rusty.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #147: Feb 27, 2015 10:20:55 am
      I've like him, what I have seen of him this season, but he was out of his depth tonight. Very rusty.

Thought he played quite well defensively. Not sure if he will ever offer much going forward.
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #148: Feb 27, 2015 11:21:54 am
      Thought he played quite well defensively. Not sure if he will ever offer much going forward.

This all day mate, he looks a tidy little defender but with the ball I think he is one of the most limited players I've seen at the club. Maybe 10 years ago it would have been enough but the modern day full-back has to do so much more than defend. I would be very surprised if he was kept at the club beyond the summer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #149: Feb 27, 2015 01:13:18 pm
      I've liked what I've seen of him as well but he doesn't really fit into the 3 4 3.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #150: Feb 27, 2015 02:35:42 pm
      I've liked what I've seen of him as well but he doesn't really fit into the 3 4 3.

That's the one. He's an Asplicueta type, good defender who rarely gets over the half way line (and when he does he offers nothing). Must admit being a bit of an old stager meself I like full backs who are defenders first then if they've got any spare time on their hands can get forward a bit. I have been overtaken a bit by the modern game though, and in a 3-4-3 there is no place for a Manquillo type.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #151: Feb 27, 2015 02:37:38 pm
      People thought he played well eh?

I thought he was one of the worst on the pitch after he came on.

Appeared slow to react and several of his passes were woefully off target. Didn't think we really some much defensive improvement at all when he came on and he certainly didn't offer much going forward.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #152: Feb 27, 2015 08:26:08 pm

I didn't think. Like I said rustiness, because I have seen him better defensivly before but he hasn't had a chance in a while, so will put it down to that.
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #153: Feb 27, 2015 09:18:09 pm
      That's the one. He's an Asplicueta type, good defender who rarely gets over the half way line (and when he does he offers nothing). Must admit being a bit of an old stager meself I like full backs who are defenders first then if they've got any spare time on their hands can get forward a bit. I have been overtaken a bit by the modern game though, and in a 3-4-3 there is no place for a Manquillo type.

The Azpilicueta comparison is a valid one mate but I think that he has far. Ore about him on the ball than young Manquillio. Maybe this part of his game will improve over time but he looks a long way off it. Young Flanno is a bit industrial I possession but I would argue that this lad is a long way off of him as well.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #154: Feb 28, 2015 08:39:58 am

You haven't seen Azpilicueta before his serious injury then, you haven't see him play at Marseille, where he was almost a winger for them. Even at Chelsea he's very offensive at times.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #155: Mar 05, 2015 12:58:54 pm
      dont think he will be with us next season in the games he's played he's look timid and shy and not commanding enough to play in this league.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #156: Mar 05, 2015 04:59:39 pm
      dont think he will be with us next season in the games he's played he's look timid and shy and not commanding enough to play in this league.

He will be unless we cancel his loan. It was a 2-year deal.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #157: Mar 05, 2015 08:00:57 pm
      was wondering what was going on with him. 

looked like he fell off the face of the earth. 

not even making the bench in some games lately.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 2810 
      Reply #158: Mar 05, 2015 08:29:44 pm
      was wondering what was going on with him. 

looked like he fell off the face of the earth. 

not even making the bench in some games lately.

Doesn't really suit this new system at all. Got the same fears for Flanno as well if I'm honest.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #159: Mar 05, 2015 11:59:30 pm
      Johno could be playing some last token minutes, though. Next season they could both get their chances.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #160: Mar 06, 2015 04:45:55 am
      Doesn't really suit this new system at all. Got the same fears for Flanno as well if I'm honest.

well.  I don't think the old system was the problem.  It was just that the players couldn't handle it, Lovren couldn't cut it, nor could Johnson, Moreno couldn't handle his defensive duties, Stevie was too slow to keep pace in midfield etc.  I think Rodgers just had to come up with something that DID work with the players he has right now.  Doesn't mean that we can't go to a 4-3-3 in the future.

it's interesting because Manquillo to me is definitely a RB, not a wingback.  Whereas Moreno seems less comfortable at LB and more comfortable as a forward thinking wingback.  Now that Sakho has established himself, next season if Moreno can be taught how to defend, we could go back to four at the back with Moreno and Manquillo as the full backs and Skrtel and Sakho as the two CBs.  Push Can into midfied, where he's best, and put two midfielders with him.  Sterling and Ibe as the wingers in the front three and either Sturridge or Origi as the striker.  I think that would work.

Quick Reply