Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Javier Manquillo

Read 31133 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Javier Manquillo Player Thread
      Reply #69: Aug 11, 2014 12:28:41 pm
      Respect for a lot of former players but many of them do talk sh*te.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #70: Aug 11, 2014 12:48:41 pm
      Certainly had an encouraging debut didn't he but I will rein it in for the minute! I can still remember how much I (and many others) rated Insua when he put in a couple of excellent performances at the back end of one of our seasons (can't remember the year) but he couldn't sustain it.

Initial thoughts on Manquillo were that he is quite quick, he likes to get forward, he can cross a ball and he likes to get tight as a marker (much like Flanno in this respect)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #71: Aug 11, 2014 02:40:43 pm
      Manquillo was very impressive vs Dortmund. I know it's only been one match and it was preseason, but I'm feeling pretty excited about this kid on the back of that performance.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #72: Aug 11, 2014 02:45:11 pm
      Interesting debut, it was only a friendly but he showed some encouraging signs. Seems to be comfortable on the ball which is a must for the way we play. Let's hope he can show more consistency than his main competitor for the spot.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #73: Aug 11, 2014 02:46:17 pm
      I didn't expect we would see much of Manquillo this season, after his performance against Dortmund I think we may see a lot of him this season. Excellent debut, looked comfortable going forward and got in a few good tackles, challenges and crosses.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #74: Aug 11, 2014 03:35:38 pm
      Was very impressed with him, especially considering it was his debut and he hasn't played much with the team. He may very well be a great option if he continues with that form.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #75: Aug 11, 2014 07:40:30 pm
      Respect for a lot of former players but many of them do talk sh*te.

Lawro is the worst, you wouldn't even think he was a Red the way he sucks up to the likes of Chelsea and the Mancs, always being critical of us or a group of our players.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #76: Aug 17, 2014 05:35:28 pm
      Got caught out of position too many times today for me, he also seemed happy to quickly pass the ball on when he got possession. After his Dortmund debut I was pleasantly surprised, especially with how little first team games he's had in his career. However on this showing I think he'd need to improve to hold a regular first team spot. It's still very early in his career I know this, and fully believe we've a quality attacking full back if he progresses.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #77: Aug 17, 2014 05:45:17 pm
      Got caught out of position too many times today for me, he also seemed happy to quickly pass the ball on when he got possession. After his Dortmund debut I was pleasantly surprised, especially with how little first team games he's had in his career. However on this showing I think he'd need to improve to hold a regular first team spot. It's still very early in his career I know this, and fully believe we've a quality attacking full back if he progresses.

I think it was a mixture of nerves and him probably being told not get forward as much as he'd of liked. We were cautious in our play today and i think that showed in Manquillo's play, he defended well imo, got tight enough to his man and always kept up with him.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #78: Aug 17, 2014 06:07:48 pm
      I thought he had a pretty solid game today, not the great game that a few have suggested in the match thread. He defended well and when had the. Ball he played like a young lad keen not to do anything wrong which is not a surprise. It was a decent 7/10 for me. I suspect that Johnson will somehow find his way back to his preferred right back spot as soon as Moreno is ready to go on the left.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #79: Aug 17, 2014 08:03:42 pm
      Very good debut.  Not perfect but still miles ahead of anything Johnson has done at RB in the last few seasons, which is pretty damning for Johnson.

Hope to see him keep his place against City, even if Moreno comes in at LB.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #80: Aug 17, 2014 11:44:51 pm
      Reminds me very much of a right footed Enrique.

Thought he had a very solid debut. Looks promising up to now.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #81: Aug 17, 2014 11:47:21 pm
      What I like from what I've seen is he looks like a good defender. BR can work on his offensive play, that can be polished but instinct for defense is a much harder trait to coach
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #82: Aug 18, 2014 12:09:30 am
      I only saw the second half against Southampton but I think Manquillo looks a very promising full back. He was a busy little bee and did a good job.

Well in lad.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #83: Aug 18, 2014 12:25:24 am
      I thought he was fantastic today, Southampton were trying to target him in the first half and he was solid as F**k. Needs to do a little more going forward but his defensive qualities are brilliant.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #84: Aug 18, 2014 09:28:38 am
      Javi has a good debut. Hopefully he'll improve by games. It's really good to see less of Johnson from now on.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #85: Aug 18, 2014 06:33:18 pm
      Not afraid to get stuck in, a bit rash in the challenge at times but he's a young lad and will develop that side of his game. No problems with him when it comes to tracking back after getting forward, to which he also seems to be doing to good affect; has a good understanding with our midfield, noticed Gerrard picking him out plenty of times over the last couple of games. His delivery is half decent too, tends to over hit them a bit but that will improve I'm sure. I was concerned he would maybe go on and get a 2nd yellow against Saints but he kept his game composed and although wasn't perfect I think he had a more than solid enough Premier League debut. Certainly better than that other pile of crap we had at Left-Back.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #86: Aug 31, 2014 03:23:59 pm
      Everytime he goes for the ball, a little voice in my head goes 'My name is Javier Manquillo, you have the football,  prepared to be tackled'. 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6JGp7Meg42U
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #87: Aug 31, 2014 08:30:25 pm
      I'm looking forward to seeing Flanno back in the side and I think this lad will make a nice understudy given his inexperience. He actually reminds me of Azpilicueta at Chelsea in a lot of ways, he is quick and tenacious BUT very raw at the moment given his lack of first team experience in the top flight. An upgrade on Jonno though that's for sure!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #88: Aug 31, 2014 09:02:17 pm
      Feel so much more relaxed with him playing instead of Johnson.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #89: Aug 31, 2014 11:38:27 pm
      Much improved performance today for me than on his league debut. Really looked solid defensively, I would like to see him impose himself a little in an attacking sense. The ball seems a bit like a hot potato to him at the minute when we start attacking (quick to get rid when better option would be to attacking there left flank), it could well be the fear of making a mistake so early in his career with us. Very good today and will only get better with games, it'll be interesting to see who the boss goes with when Flanno's fully fit.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #90: Aug 31, 2014 11:42:43 pm
      Much improved performance today for me than on his league debut. Really looked solid defensively, I would like to see him impose himself a little in an attacking sense. The ball seems a bit like a hot potato to him at the minute when we start attacking (quick to get rid when better option would be to attacking there left flank), it could well be the fear of making a mistake so early in his career with us. Very good today and will only get better with games, it'll be interesting to see who the boss goes with when Flanno's fully fit.

Much improved? I thought Manquillo was decent against Southampton, and certainly should have kept his place ahead of Johnson IMO.

Not really someone that's going win you games but he's solid, defensively that is something Johnson has never been able to offer us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #91: Aug 31, 2014 11:47:57 pm
      Much improved? I thought Manquillo was decent against Southampton, and certainly should have kept his place ahead of Johnson IMO.

Not really someone that's going win you games but he's solid, defensively that is something Johnson has never been able to offer us.

Agree with you but also think there's more to Manquillo's game that he's holding back.

In pre-season we saw some fantastic attacking play with quality crosses picking out single players in the box or further. At the moment I think he's playing very safe and also getting his fitness up which of course is understandable given the lack of games he's had last year.

Upgrade on Johnson, easily, but there's much more to come from this lad and I expect him to get a least a few assists this season. Very good addition.

Quick Reply