Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool's striker conundrum

Read 11283 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Re: Liverpool's striker conundrum
      Reply #23: Aug 08, 2014 03:14:53 pm
      I think its all up to what systems BR is going to play in the coming season and there's a few things to think about. Losing the biter has left us goal shy but everyone is saying we need to replace those 30 odd goals that Suarez scored. To me, every player has one good to fantastic season in their career at some point, last season was Luis. He may score for fun out in Barca but out there he's just another cog on the wheel, the same as if he had gone to Real.

Who says we need to score all those goals that we did last season to win the league. The scum won it on many occasion by winning games 1-0. Remy would of been the perfect answer for us but that's not to be now. What about Bony? he could partner Danny or play on his own in a 4 2 3 1, not sure about a 4 3 3. Cavani is the same but I'm sure BR would have to play 2 up top if he came just to keep Danny happy the same as we did for him and Suarez last season. So for me we don't necessarily need a striker that will score 30 odd goals this season. We do need a striker but one that will compliment what we already have in Danny and Rickie and suit the system that our manager is going to play.

Personally I'm more worried about leaving Johnson at RB, we wouldn't have to score so many goals to win games if he was a better defender.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #24: Aug 08, 2014 03:16:11 pm
      Hmmm, another poster who could do with a chill pill. It's everything to do with who is "available", who we "can afford", and who "wants to play for us"? It's hard to argue with any of that really, it's kind of stating the obvious. I think this is probably why we're not going to sign Lionel Messi, am I right?

If though we allow ourselves to think outside the box for a bit, perhaps try and work within the confines of "who we CAN afford", who DOES want to play for us" and who we COULD possibly render available by making a decent offer (as normally if you pay enough money ALL players become available) and see if we can come up with any names.

Conservatively, I'd say we can probably AFFORD anything up to around 25 million quid, we can probably this would render a few footballers "available", then once we speak to the player if we offer them a rise, surely SOME of them would want to play for us.

Just to recap, I'm advocating signing one or both of two players who we could definitely afford, who we could definitely render available by our offer, and who would definitely want to play for us.

Agree again Mick.

It's easy to hide behind the old 'we can only sign players who are available' card but in reality almost every player is available at the right price but we seem to be content with 'bidding' or floating links to certain players we will never buy while we could have had this problem sorted weeks ago.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25: Aug 08, 2014 03:18:49 pm
      Think this would have been a none starter, if he did come to England before he started with New York would have been to 1 club City ala Lampard.

Not sure what you mean mate. Obviously Citeh didn't loan him (or want to) because Melbourne did. Surely we would be more attractive as a club than Melbourne ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #26: Aug 08, 2014 03:32:51 pm
      Hmmm, another poster who could do with a chill pill. It's everything to do with who is "available", who we "can afford", and who "wants to play for us"? It's hard to argue with any of that really, it's kind of stating the obvious. I think this is probably why we're not going to sign Lionel Messi, am I right?

If though we allow ourselves to think outside the box for a bit, perhaps try and work within the confines of "who we CAN afford", who DOES want to play for us" and who we COULD possibly render available by making a decent offer (as normally if you pay enough money ALL players become available) and see if we can come up with any names.

Conservatively, I'd say we can probably AFFORD anything up to around 25 million quid, we can probably this would render a few footballers "available", then once we speak to the player if we offer them a rise, surely SOME of them would want to play for us.

Just to recap, I'm advocating signing one or both of two players who we could definitely afford, who we could definitely render available by our offer, and who would definitely want to play for us.

We can afford much higher than 25m, whether we are willing to pay above that remains to be seen although we've already paid at least 20m for what, three different players this window depending on the if the actual amount paid is what has been reported? (Markovich, Lallana and Lovren).

And we haven't even touched the Suarez money. So we can afford basically anyone the manager would want which is why we have obviously inquired about Cavani, Falcao and Lavezzi.

Sure there's the possibility as Si seems to imply that we are only "inquiring" to appease fans and have no real intentions of buying any of those players.

My point about who WANTS to come here really points at someone like Reus...we can afford him, he would fit our system and likely Brendan likes his game, but does Reus want to play for us? That's something only he can answer. And if we can afford him and he fits and the manager rates him, the only reason he wouldn't be here is because he doesn't want to be. I think it's been shown that Brendan is getting the players he wants. He's been unequivocal about that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27: Aug 08, 2014 03:35:09 pm
      I would say not ideal rather than a disgrace mate. It would open up a few options though. Tevez may be too old to buy but not to old to loan. Balotelli may be too much of a nutter to buy but not to loan.

I suppose the real benefit of a loan is that when we do eventually find the "right" player  we don't lose them while trying to sell the player bought in desperation. Or find that they decide to sit on their fat contract with us rather than be sold, leaving us short of money for the right player.

In all honesty I don't normally agree with big clubs loaning in players, but in our present situation we seem to have few options, as those we consider good enough won't come, or at least not for what we are offering, while the ones that will come are not players that we would really want in the longer term.

Agree. I think Hollywood Balls has made some interesting points on this situation. Given the fact Origi is coming in next year the manager may feel a loan deal  is adequate as of now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #28: Aug 08, 2014 03:38:30 pm
      Agree. I think Hollywood Balls has made some interesting points on this situation. Given the fact Origi is coming in next year the manager may feel a loan deal  is adequate as of now.

Bugger.... now I will have to change my opinion :(

:D
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2014 03:50:20 pm by s@int »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Aug 08, 2014 03:44:42 pm

Beat me to it, but it only occurred to me because I've been reading the article on the official site  :laugh:
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168444-origi-determined-to-repay-faith

A good read, if slightly predictable.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Aug 08, 2014 05:06:17 pm

So I'm thinking Bony and Balottelli ?  For me it's one of two ain't bad :)  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

But by this logic,  this means that BR/committee/whoever are exhausting all other options, with a view to getting someone better -- while keeping these guys on the back burner (eg. BR with his nice comments about Mario) knowing that they can always come back to these.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #31: Aug 08, 2014 05:29:12 pm
      Otherwise BR's got to train our wingers to have the ability to move into positions and put the ball into the back of the net. Strike minded wingers.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #32: Aug 08, 2014 06:00:02 pm
      So I'm thinking Bony and Balottelli ?  For me it's one of two ain't bad :)  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

But by this logic,  this means that BR/committee/whoever are exhausting all other options, with a view to getting someone better -- while keeping these guys on the back burner (eg. BR with his nice comments about Mario) knowing that they can always come back to these.

It's possible mate that the two B's are fallbacks should we fail in our bid to sign a really big name, but I disagree with the policy on two counts (if indeed it is the case). Firstly, I'd quite like to have either player in their own right, and secondly the "fallback" point ought to have been well and truly reached by now IMHO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #33: Aug 08, 2014 06:00:27 pm
      It's possible mate that the two B's are fallbacks should we fail in our bid to sign a really big name, but I disagree with the policy on two counts (if indeed it is the case). Firstly, I'd quite like to have either player in their own right, and secondly the "fallback" point ought to have been well and truly reached by now IMHO.

I'd have both of them in a heartbeat Mick.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #34: Aug 08, 2014 06:08:04 pm
      I'd have both of them in a heartbeat Mick.

I'd even go as far as saying I'd have either over Cavani or Falcao mate, simply because you categorically know they can do it in this league, AND they are players who still have something to prove. In many respects it's weird getting jumped upon by people sticking up for the owners when I'm actually advocating buying players who are much cheaper than those toured AND probably available too. The one player I really would push the boat out for is Marco Reus, I think he would be special for us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #35: Aug 08, 2014 06:09:34 pm
      I'd even go as far as saying I'd have either over Cavani or Falcao mate, simply because you categorically know they can do it in this league, AND they are players who still have something to prove.

Agree.

Agree on Reus as well and him with those two and I'm not sure anyone could question FSG again for a while.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #36: Aug 08, 2014 06:15:19 pm
      Agree.

Agree on Reus as well and him with those two and I'm not sure anyone could question FSG again for a while.

Every signing so far seems to have been well known about in advance what is worrying now is the lack of rumour .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #37: Aug 08, 2014 06:18:52 pm
      Every signing so far seems to have been well known about in advance what is worrying now is the lack of rumour .

Yes!

That's why I'm thinking that we could be in trouble here...seems like even when we know who we are after it takes a few weeks to get everything completed...if we are now kind of looking around for anyone with a pulse, how much harder is it going to be?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Aug 08, 2014 06:29:17 pm
      Yes!

That's why I'm thinking that we could be in trouble here...seems like even when we know who we are after it takes a few weeks to get everything completed...if we are now kind of looking around for anyone with a pulse, how much harder is it going to be?

But again who is there because even this forum seems to be having a hard job in finding a suitable player even without discussing fees etc.Ricky Lambert may end up playing far more games than he had hoped for.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #39: Aug 08, 2014 06:29:39 pm
      It feels like the first couple of transfer windows under Rodgers when Carroll was injured/ not seen as first choice and we desperately needed a striker brought in, we were linked with everyone in sight, we waited and waited and no one was signed.

We have done well with some of our other dealings this summer, I think on balance the squad has been strengthened as gas promised, but am getting more and more worried that we will end the transfer window just as we started it - needing a striker and a left back, and having neither of them.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #40: Aug 08, 2014 06:59:14 pm
      Oh my..... the irony in last week's comment by Brendan regarding "not buying players in just for the sake of it".

Well guess what Brendan me old China - the way you and the club are addressing our strike area currently...you may well have to. Either that or have a really brilliant excuse next May as to we're languishing around 5th, 6th & 7th spots again.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #41: Aug 08, 2014 07:17:46 pm
      Pretty obvious how this has gone and it looks pretty bad on us to be fair:

Plan A: Sell Suarez and get Sanchez, everyone happy. Thommo announced it before it had been done, which suggests we were pretty complacent about getting him. Then Sanchez's Mrs had a word in his ear how she'd kinda like the shopping, nightlife and general celebrity lifestyle that comes with London so he did what kept his family happy. No issue with Sanchez over that but massive issue with our scouts/committee/Brendan/whoever you deem in charge of this "Luis replacement" because;

Plan B: Remy! He loves us, said he'd love to play for us in the past, simple deal. It looks more and more kneejerk the more you examine the medical issues. Everything we discovered seems to have been known about the lad, we just went in and rediscovered it. Like me plugging in a lightbulb and claiming I've discovered electricity, it was already bloody there for all to see and we look like prats for it at the moment. Wouldn't be so bad if we had a fall back option, but we don't.

Plan C: Ring up every agent of every decent player and "express an interest" because we're in panic mode. Falcao who wants Madrid only, we're in there. Cavani who wants a kings ransom that we'd never pay, we're in there! Bullshit I'm afraid.

Can easily see us ending up with Bony, a decent player but a poor fit in my opinion. Not because he was top priority, not because we know he can do a job but because he's our only realistic fall back option and that doesn't sit well with me at all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #42: Aug 08, 2014 07:27:25 pm
      Pretty obvious how this has gone and it looks pretty bad on us to be fair:

Plan A: Sell Suarez and get Sanchez, everyone happy. Thommo announced it before it had been done, which suggests we were pretty complacent about getting him. Then Sanchez's Mrs had a word in his ear how she'd kinda like the shopping, nightlife and general celebrity lifestyle that comes with London so he did what kept his family happy. No issue with Sanchez over that but massive issue with our scouts/committee/Brendan/whoever you deem in charge of this "Luis replacement" because;

Plan B: Remy! He loves us, said he'd love to play for us in the past, simple deal. It looks more and more kneejerk the more you examine the medical issues. Everything we discovered seems to have been known about the lad, we just went in and rediscovered it. Like me plugging in a lightbulb and claiming I've discovered electricity, it was already bloody there for all to see and we look like prats for it at the moment. Wouldn't be so bad if we had a fall back option, but we don't.

Plan C: Ring up every agent of every decent player and "express an interest" because we're in panic mode. Falcao who wants Madrid only, we're in there. Cavani who wants a kings ransom that we'd never pay, we're in there! Bullshit I'm afraid.

Can easily see us ending up with Bony, a decent player but a poor fit in my opinion. Not because he was top priority, not because we know he can do a job but because he's our only realistic fall back option and that doesn't sit well with me at all.

Pretty much agree Luke apart from Bony.

I think he'd do very well here although I do think Remy was an even better fit for how Brendan likes to play.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Aug 08, 2014 07:40:29 pm
      We all know what Rodgers will say regarding the situation - "We couldn't find the player that fits the right profile, I wont spend money for the sake of it".
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #44: Aug 08, 2014 07:46:20 pm
      We all know what Rodgers will say regarding the situation - "We couldn't find the player that fits the right profile, I wont spend money for the sake of it".

To be fair mate I'm not sure what else he can say.

He's unlikely to really rock the boat at this stage of his career with us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Aug 08, 2014 07:54:19 pm
      To be fair mate I'm not sure what else he can say.

He's unlikely to really rock the boat at this stage of his career with us.

I'd expect more than that if I'm honest, for the reason that others have already stated, they have known Suarez would have been leaving for a good year now so the club has had plenty of time to identify what could be a suitable "replacement".

Quick Reply