Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Liverpool's striker conundrum

Read 11273 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Liverpool's striker conundrum
      Reply #46: Aug 08, 2014 07:57:21 pm
      We all know what Rodgers will say regarding the situation - "We couldn't find the player that fits the right profile, I wont spend money for the sake of it".

Think if he does that 7KK7 and leaves us with only Sturridge/Borini/Lambert then we're begging for disaster. Injury to Sturridge, which given his record looks inevitable to keep him out for some periods of the year, then we're in major trouble.

Borini, as much as I like the lad for effort and determination I'd not be at all happy with him leading the line in any game of significance. Lambert has looked dire in pre-season, many jumping to his defence about trying too hard which I accept is probable but still he's been in there with the likes of Sterling and Coutinho, failing to show any kind of link up play with them. I've not watched him at Southampton, but from what I've seen in preseason he's only an option from the bench and again would be unhappy to see him as our starting striker.

Brendan has said that it's crucial we find a striker and he's not wrong there. We've got something like 3 weeks to pull the rabbit out of the hat or Brendan may well have to be some kind of magician to make anything of our season if we go into with just those 3 up top.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #47: Aug 08, 2014 07:59:22 pm
      Think if he does that 7KK7 and leaves us with only Sturridge/Borini/Lambert then we're begging for disaster. Injury to Sturridge, which given his record looks inevitable to keep him out for some periods of the year, then we're in major trouble.

Borini, as much as I like the lad for effort and determination I'd not be at all happy with him leading the line in any game of significance. Lambert has looked dire in pre-season, many jumping to his defence about trying too hard which I accept is probable but still he's been in there with the likes of Sterling and Coutinho, failing to show any kind of link up play with them. I've not watched him at Southampton, but from what I've seen in preseason he's only an option from the bench and again would be unhappy to see him as our starting striker.

Brendan has said that it's crucial we find a striker and he's not wrong there. We've got something like 3 weeks to pull the rabbit out of the hat or Brendan may well have to be some kind of magician to make anything of our season if we go into with just those 3 up top.

Well it's essentially only Sturridge and Lambert at the moment given that Borini picked up that injury.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #48: Aug 08, 2014 08:04:32 pm

Considering the financial increase in Champions League football next year, and that we're financially the weakest of the top 5 clubs, it's more vital we reach top 4 this season than last season.

Even if we have to spend BIG for a striker now, I would do it without hesitation. We are most likely in a dogfight with Man Utd and Arsenal for 3rd and 4th.  Without European football, and with Rooney, Mata and Van Persie, I'd expect Utd to be very close to top 4. If Arsenal don't improve their defence, they can be the ones pushed into 5th.

If we don't buy a striker who can provide 15-20 goals, most neutrals will expect us to be the ones pushed out of the top 4.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #49: Aug 08, 2014 08:22:22 pm
      Considering the financial increase in Champions League football next year, and that we're financially the weakest of the top 5 clubs, it's more vital we reach top 4 this season than last season.

Even if we have to spend BIG for a striker now, I would do it without hesitation. We are most likely in a dogfight with Man Utd and Arsenal for 3rd and 4th.  Without European football, and with Rooney, Mata and Van Persie, I'd expect Utd to be very close to top 4. If Arsenal don't improve their defence, they can be the ones pushed into 5th.

If we don't buy a striker who can provide 15-20 goals, most neutrals will expect us to be the ones pushed out of the top 4.
      This is it mate. As much as people don't want to admit it, our starting XI is probably the 5th best in the league right now. Let's not kid ourselves, that was a one off withe the mancs as a result of poor management and a Fergie hangover. We know ourselves how beneficial it is for league form if you are not in Europe. Anybody who says they are not worried about them are kidding themselves.

Saying that we have good strength in depth now and a great team ethic, a wonderful manager and bright young players. However we need a LB and we need a quality forward that can bang in a good few goals. Moreno and one of Falcao/Reus/Cavani would take our starting XI to the best in the league imo. Bony or Balotelli and I'd be confident of top 4/ possible title challenge.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #50: Aug 08, 2014 08:31:26 pm

Saying that we have good strength in depth now and a great team ethic, a wonderful manager and bright young players. However we need a LB and we need a quality forward that can bang in a good few goals. Moreno and one of Falcao/Reus/Cavani would take our starting XI to the best in the league imo. Bony or Balotelli and I'd be confident of top 4/ possible title challenge.

Agree. We saw it against Utd in the friendly; we should have been 3-0 up at half time. The fact we had a striker who was pretty inept on the night meant we were only 1-0 up and with our defence we are always likely to concede. Even if Borini had been brought on, in reality he will never be good enough to lead our line.

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #51: Aug 08, 2014 10:14:08 pm
      To be fair mate I'm not sure what else he can say.

He's unlikely to really rock the boat at this stage of his career with us.

He'll be really rocking the boat though if we drop out of CL contention won't he? He's got us there now - by all accounts early! So he or the club as a whole should be busting their gut to keep us there; so that we can attract the bigger stars; so that we're part of that revenue stream; so that we can attract the bigger named sponsors etc...etc...

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #52: Aug 09, 2014 12:54:18 am
      If I knew someone was going to knock out my front teeth a few months down the line, I'd:
      a) make sure my first priority was to get them replaced asap, have dentist lined up, know what its gonna cost etc
      b) w.r.t. fillings and general maintenance of the back teeth, sure they need to be worked on, but not as urgently

brilliant.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #53: Aug 09, 2014 01:23:24 am
      Just need another shrewd signing by the end of the transfer window. A flexible striker who can also play wide, score 20 goals...and happily play second fiddle to Sturridge or cover if he's injured. (Remy would have been perfect)

plenty of time for things to happen or perhaps we can get by until January?

IMO Stirling could play anywhere up front, heading a front 3 if need be.

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #54: Aug 09, 2014 06:43:36 am
      I am definitely worried about our scoring options lads.   yes we picked up some decent talent but to suggest that it was enough to replace suarez is a bit on the optimistic side. 

I am really crossing my fingers with finding a solid forward.  Like I have said before mates.... if we do not do enough..... January is very very far away.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #55: Aug 09, 2014 08:04:35 am
      We all know what Rodgers will say regarding the situation - "We couldn't find the player that fits the right profile, I wont spend money for the sake of it".
      That's my fear too!  Or even worse,  the we tried our best to bring someone in,  but failed bullshit!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #56: Aug 09, 2014 08:47:37 am
      Let's put in a cheeky 1 Million pound bid for Thierry Henry. He loves Liverpool and is still knocking them in for the New York Bulls, isn't he?

:D   but a little bit serious.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #57: Aug 09, 2014 09:15:01 am
      What about Calos Vela? Almost a 1 in 2 rate with Sociedad and 1 in 3 with Mexico.
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #58: Aug 09, 2014 09:27:00 am
      Fairly pleased with the upgrading of the squad in general but like most I have serious concerns about the striking department. Quite simply we need to spend big and get someone who is pretty much guaranteed to hit the back of the net on a regular basis. If it means paying £200k a week for real top class, then so be it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #59: Aug 09, 2014 09:39:54 am
      Don't panic !
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #60: Aug 09, 2014 10:37:32 am
      Fairly pleased with the upgrading of the squad in general but like most I have serious concerns about the striking department. Quite simply we need to spend big and get someone who is pretty much guaranteed to hit the back of the net on a regular basis. If it means paying £200k a week for real top class, then so be it.

I agree with this. People seem too concerned with wages nowadays but we've already offloaded two high earners at the club and big teams have players on big wages. The teams that don't (Atletico, Dortmund etc) tend not to have the sustainability and therefore end up selling their best players.

Would like to see us sign the right striker though, but I wouldn't be against a Falcao or Cavani if both were available.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #61: Aug 09, 2014 11:22:15 am
      I thought we needed another striker even when Luis was still here so we need to sign, at the very least, one and ideally two before the window closes although one like Lavezzi who can play the wide forward positions as well would suit us alright as well.

Lambert is a signing I'm happy with but I see him taking Aspas place so therefore we are no better off numbers wise even though he will be a much better option. With Luis gone we are far worse of in terms of quality and even though I think Brendan will be looking at replacing Luis goals from a more team based perspective I think it's glaringly obvious we need another top quality striker.

Now I'm pretty sure Brendan knows this and feels the same as he isn't an idiot but I worry that once again our transfer planning is as haphazard as it has been in the past and now that we have messed up the Remy deal we don't really know what to do next.

A Sturridge injury early in the season could leave us very short of options and it is a position we should never have been in going into a season with more games than we've ever had to play under Brendan and back in the CL for the first time in a few years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #62: Aug 09, 2014 12:00:52 pm
      If Borini does make the move to Sunderland then we will need another 2, never mind the 1.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #63: Aug 09, 2014 12:17:40 pm
      At the moment a Sturridge injury will completely derail our season as I don't have much faith in Lambert leading the line for a considerable amount of time and Borini looks like he will be going.

One of the major reasons we challenged last season was due to how our strikers did on their own (I'm putting the SAS hype aside for a minute). When Suarez was banned, Sturridge stepped up and fired 3 winners in the first 3 games. When Sturridge got injured before Christmas, Suarez was absolutely sensational and banged in goals for fun. Without that kind of depth we probably would have been in a similar situation to the season before where we left ourselves too much to do in the second half of the season to qualify for the Champions League.

We need that sort of depth back into our frontline immediately. Someone who can lead the line on their own but also compliment Sturridge when we want to use two upfront. Personally I have no idea who that could be and sadly it looks like our scouts don't either right now. After the Remy deal fell through we look a bit lost.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #64: Aug 09, 2014 02:11:05 pm
      Let's put in a cheeky 1 Million pound bid for Thierry Henry. He loves Liverpool and is still knocking them in for the New York Bulls, isn't he?

:D   but a little bit serious.

Could do a job for us mate, if only for half a season while the new lads bed in.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #65: Aug 09, 2014 08:12:12 pm
      Would love to see Tevez come in.
      Think he would be perfect for us.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Reply #66: Aug 09, 2014 09:06:25 pm
      Would love to see Tevez come in.
      Think he would be perfect for us.

Me too mate, feisty little fecker who has a touch of Suarez about him in a number of ways, I think he would be perfect meself
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #67: Aug 09, 2014 09:42:42 pm
      If we're going by last season where we relied heavily on the strikers, then there is a lot of pressure on Sturridge to replicate his form at the very least, and worryingly, we don't have time to let Lambert 'bed in'. However, I don't expect Lambert to go firing all cylinders immediately and neither do I think Borini will if he stays. Aside from Sturridge, all the other strikers really have to press on but I doubt it.

If Borini stays, it's a far bigger season for him than any other striker. I've been willing to give him his chance, but now he must take it or else he will be considered a failure. He's got a great shot on him, but I'd love to see him more involved in games, and at times in Rodgers' first season, the game seemed to pass him by a lot of the time. No excuse now for that happening.

The departure of Suarez does evidently seem to be putting a lot of strikers under pressure at the club but perhaps we're being a little misguided in our assumptions about the state of the forwards, because I can't see Brendan applying the same tactics from last year because they were designed to get the best out of Suarez. Now that we don't have him, he'll tell the midfielders to get more goals this year.

We'll see more forward runs from the likes of Henderson and co as they strive to make up for the absence of Suarez, so arguably the pressure is on the midfielders as much as the strikers. That said, with more midfielders bombing forward, I hope this doesn't result in even more defensive fallibilities but with the introduction of Can, Lovren and Moreno (hopefully) along with the continued improvement of the likes of Flanagan, hopefully this makes up for the slack defence of last season - well, it has to or we are in trouble.

That said, I have full faith in Brendan to tweak things accordingly. As for the media and ex-pundits, those of most enlightened minds such as the wise Alan Shearer, the philosophical Stan Collymore and the sharp wit that is Phil Neville seem to think we'll struggle. But they seem to forget that even in the absence of European football, we suffered some bad injuries (or bans...) to all our key players at some stage last year. And we didn't do too badly in such times of panic now did we. Rodgers proved himself to be the most adept of managers in improvising a team in the wake of injuries, and the loss of Suarez won't deter him for sure.

But, perhaps I should be listening to the English media and the ex-pundits, because as we all know, English football culture is well known across the globe for it's high minded, in depth and cerebral intellectual discussions.......
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #68: Aug 10, 2014 09:29:10 am
      If we wanted to "replace" Suarez the option would be to sell Sturridge and buy a megastar or to try and shoehorn two strikers into the formation again (thereby losing out in midfield).

If we are planning on Sturridge starting the season as the main man I can see why we haven't lined up a backup striker a year ago as there are usually options available for a good number 2.

There are still players moving between the top clubs in Europe which means there will be quality options available who are no longer wanted by the parent club.

It's not 4 am at the disco it's closer to midnight and kicking out time at the local bars!

Could end up being smart business if PSG pick up another striker and want to offload Lucas Moura say - let's see what happens.

Alternatively we have options like Bony available asa fallback for 5 million more than Sunderland will give us for Borini.

Quick Reply