Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool's striker conundrum

Read 11213 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool's striker conundrum
      Reply #69: Aug 10, 2014 10:34:57 am
      Can see the Lynch mob now if we F**k this one up. Could be the only talking point at the end of what could have been our best transfer window ever -by saying that I am embracing Luis leaving for such a high fee.

Surely our scouts must know of another 10 Origi like characters who can come in and be good for 15 goals, otherwise what the F**k do they do all year?

Just head to the top 3 teams in every league around Europe (to start) and have a look at their strikers. Surely there is some merit in that? 30million will go a long way to signing the next Suarez of no one is talking about him yet.

If we start the league with Lambert and Borini as back up to Studge, who will get injured, then we are fu**ed. Do I want Bony.... No. Would I take Bony over no one... Yes. Do I think we will leave it too late to sign Bony if we target him now and focus on him only..... Yes. Now scouts and transfer team work 24/7 till this F**k up is resolved.

The money for champos league position in 15/16, is astronomical and we are potentially ruining our growth if we miss out on that one year so we should focus all our efforts and go get 2 20m strikers and be done with it.

TEVEZ? Surely at his age we could get him for 15-20? He would do a great job on his own let alone beside Studge.

Here scouts il help you out - http://eurorivals.net/top-scorers.html il admit I never even heard of no.6 boom go get him. No's. 7,13,14 alone would surely be available for <20m each. Any of the top 25 bar kris Commons are better than Borini and lambert combined.

F**k Moreno lads - if it's a matter of money spend it all on a striker. I for one can live with Johnson or enrique for one more season.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #70: Aug 10, 2014 10:42:47 am
      You really do have to question our scouting teams quality. Pelle who signed for Southampton will light the league up.... We will try sign him next summer if this window is anything to go by.Sickening but Tadic will do the same, and albeit we don't need that profile right now it's better scouting than we have been doing. A lot better.  How many years ago where we after bony. Surely 10m less too? What was he worth then?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #71: Aug 10, 2014 10:56:22 am
      You really do have to question our scouting teams quality. Pelle who signed for Southampton will light the league up.... We will try sign him next summer if this window is anything to go by.Sickening but Tadic will do the same, and albeit we don't need that profile right now it's better scouting than we have been doing. A lot better.  How many years ago where we after bony. Surely 10m less too? What was he worth then?

How is is better scouting than we've been doing? You picked two players, we've signed a ton of players who for the most part are young, hungry and gifted in their own right.
      You haven't even seen our new players play for us properly yet, I'd stop worrying about other teams signing the odd one player.
      Yes, we need a striker, see how it goes.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #72: Aug 10, 2014 11:03:01 am
      How is is better scouting than we've been doing? You picked two players, we've signed a ton of players who for the most part are young, hungry and gifted in their own right.
      You haven't even seen our new players play for us properly yet, I'd stop worrying about other teams signing the odd one player.
      Yes, we need a striker, see how it goes.

I should qualify what I meant by saying better scouting. They needed a replacement for lambert and found a cracker. They needed a replacement for lallana and found a cracker. We needed a replacement for Suarez and found a lambert. Ha sorry ye, I hope time will show we had this under control.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #73: Aug 10, 2014 11:08:47 am
      I should quantify what I meant by saying better scouting. They needed a replacement for lambert and found a cracker. They needed a replacement for lallana and found a cracker. We needed a replacement for Suarez and found a lambert. Ha sorry ye, I hope time will show we had this under control.

I truly hope that wasn't the whole plan with Lambert or even if it was to replace a chunk of the goals Suarez got, then replace some of his movement with Lallana and Markovic...
      We do still need some back up, all it takes is for Sturridge to have one of his injuries, then we're very lightweight in attack.
      It would be madness to rely on what we've got up front.
      Well done to Southampton though if you rate them players highly, they did get their team dismantled, felt bad for their fans.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #74: Aug 10, 2014 11:25:14 am
      I truly hope that wasn't the whole plan with Lambert or even if it was to replace a chunk of the goals Suarez got, then replace some of his movement with Lallana and Markovic...
      We do still need some back up, all it takes is for Sturridge to have one of his injuries, then we're very lightweight in attack.
      It would be madness to rely on what we've got up front.
      Well done to Southampton though if you rate them players highly, they did get their team dismantled, felt bad for their fans.
      Ye after we give them a hiding I would like to see them do well. Pillaged is an understatement
      Liverbird on my chest
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #75: Aug 10, 2014 05:24:38 pm
      As said above, really disappointed and shocked that we have not managed to get in a striker who could come in and score 15 plus goals and lead the line if DS gets injured. I like lambert and borini but realistically if DS gets injured for a chunk of the season we are in real trouble
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #76: Aug 10, 2014 08:40:17 pm
      I guess the difference between us and Brendan is he knows exactly what is going on and we can only speculate. He may be satisfied with the lads we have and the pace up front is frightening.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #77: Aug 10, 2014 08:45:13 pm
      I guess the difference between us and Brendan is he knows exactly what is going on and we can only speculate. He may be satisfied with the lads we have and the pace up front is frightening.

True.

My concern is one injury to Sturridge and the likes of Sterling, Coutinho and Hendo might find it a lot harder to make things happen and get goals.

We need someone as mobile and capable as scoring as Sturridge as insurance, whether they start or are on the bench right now i don't care but not having that security worries me.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #78: Aug 11, 2014 01:08:19 pm
      Chelsea got damn close to the league with lousy strikers last season.  Majority of their goals came from the middle of the park and their defense helped that.

I think we can easily replace Luis' goals with our attacking midfielders.

Our position come May will depend on our defense.  No doubt about it.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #79: Aug 11, 2014 03:01:13 pm
      Chelsea got damn close to the league with lousy strikers last season.  Majority of their goals came from the middle of the park and their defense helped that.

I think we can easily replace Luis' goals with our attacking midfielders.

Our position come May will depend on our defense.  No doubt about it.

I hope you are not serious Chelsea came so close because they have a team full of superstars plus a back up team as good as their first team plus they added another bunch of class players but for Liverpool if sturridge get injured no one will replace him . Plus I don't think Liverpool can park the buss like Chelsea mostly because our defence isn't good enough as Chelsea that's because Chelsea have better full backs .
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #80: Aug 11, 2014 03:10:04 pm
      Jack Dunn
      Kristoffer Peterson
      Jerome Sinclair
      Harry Wilson
      Danny Tricket-Smith

All can play up top (or anywhere across the front three) and all could easily save us forking out a fortune on some world class flop.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #81: Aug 11, 2014 03:11:36 pm
      Yep, agree with the above. Chelsea have some very good players in midfield

Hazard, Oscar, schurlle, Willian. They also have a rock in Matic and now an experienced player in Fabregas. However you look at it, their midfield is pretty decent throughout.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #82: Aug 11, 2014 03:23:38 pm
      Yep, agree with the above. Chelsea have some very good players in midfield

Hazard, Oscar, schurlle, Willian. They also have a rock in Matic and now an experienced player in Fabregas. However you look at it, their midfield is pretty decent throughout.

Barring Hazard they didn't exactly light up the PL. I think Chelsea have been bang average in pre season and I think they're in for a struggle this season competing up against sides who play a much more expansive and progressive brand of football. It will all end in tears for Mourinho who looks like he's ready to be taken out back and shot.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #83: Aug 11, 2014 03:26:11 pm
      Jack Dunn
      Kristoffer Peterson
      Jerome Sinclair
      Harry Wilson
      Danny Tricket-Smith

All can play up top (or anywhere across the front three) and all could easily save us forking out a fortune on some world class flop.

Are any of them capable of leading a team to a PL title, in your opinion?

In my opinion, I will say no they cannot. Which is why we need to dip into the transfer market to look for a striker.

If you never invest in players and only use players from the youth academy, you'll end up going backwards.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #84: Aug 11, 2014 03:43:18 pm
      I hope you are not serious Chelsea came so close because they have a team full of superstars plus a back up team as good as their first team plus they added another bunch of class players but for Liverpool if sturridge get injured no one will replace him . Plus I don't think Liverpool can park the buss like Chelsea mostly because our defence isn't good enough as Chelsea that's because Chelsea have better full backs .

Right let me take what you have just said, and compare it to what I said with Rafa facts.

Chelsea scored 71 PL goals last season.

44 of them came from midfielders
      6 from defenders
      2 own goals

A pathetic 19 from strikers

Eto'o got 9
      Torres got 5
      Ba also got 5

62% of their goals came from midfield. 

I would say without my rose tinted glasses on that we have a better midfield than them. 

Perhaps not 100% player for player...  But we can give the likes of Hazard, Oscar, Lampard (6 goals last season), Ramires, Schurrle, Willian, Mikel and Salah ia run for their money.

We have a midfield with the potential to be more lethal and BR knows that.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #85: Aug 11, 2014 03:54:09 pm
      Anyway the comparison between us and Chelsea is pointless because we have differente playstyles . I don't get why some people don't see the need of striker , we reach a point that it doesn't matter if he's a world class or not I'd be happy with anyone. A win in a friendly game it doesn't mean that we are fully packed and complete , the first 3 PL games are the real test I'd say there's a striker coming 100% , we have city and spurs away !!! And they aren't easy games , remember we had nightmares in white hart lane until last year and city in etihade is a real test , I can't see us relying on sturridge alone it's impossible .

For our midfields lallana is injured , coutinho is a creative player and his finishing is not that good , same with sterling .
      I'd say if the worst happen sturridge get injured and we didn't sign a Striker move gerrard to his old position AMF behind lambert  or borini as we did before (gerrard -Torres) and Put Henderson and Lucas as a holding mids and sterling and coutinho as LW and RW's
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #86: Aug 11, 2014 04:14:36 pm
      Ok and Chelsea found a big hard time breaking down small teams defences because both teams rely on defence , Chelsea style worked against big teams but it did cost them many stupid points especially when they missed villa and Sunderland games ect... And that's not how to win the PL title but now they corrected their weak points luis , Costa , Fabregas are already proven and give them much more depth and options .
      anyway these LFC vs Chelsea comparison is pointless we need a striker no doubt about it if we don't buy one we will cross our fingers every game and pray that sturridge doesn't get injured .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #87: Aug 11, 2014 04:20:33 pm
      Ok and Chelsea found a big hard time breaking down small teams defences because both teams rely on defence , Chelsea style worked against big teams but it did cost them many stupid points especially when they missed villa and Sunderland games ect... And that's not how to win the PL title but now they corrected their weak points luis , Costa , Fabregas are already proven and give them much more depth and options .
      anyway these LFC vs Chelsea comparison is pointless we need a striker no doubt about it if we don't buy one we will cross our fingers every game and pray that sturridge doesn't get injured .

In what way is Costa proven in the Premiership, I will say here and now that I don't think he'll be a good signing for them, he has serious anger management issues and is not a patch on strikers like Luis.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #88: Aug 11, 2014 04:28:37 pm
      Jack Dunn
      Kristoffer Peterson
      Jerome Sinclair
      Harry Wilson
      Danny Tricket-Smith

Are you serious? These players would be lucky to make the League Cup squad. I would much rather give Yesil a run ahead any of those if you are talking about youth players. Atleast he has scored 8 goals in 7 games for Gemany U19 and 20 in 21 for the U17.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #89: Aug 11, 2014 05:14:03 pm
      The way I see this situation is simple:

We have been handed the shittiest of situations in that we have lost a player with footballing ability only rivalled by Ronaldo and Messi (Yes I believe Suarez is a better player than Bale). In that respect, unless we signed Ronaldo or Messi, we were never going to be able to replace Suarez like-for-like.

Suarez is a wonderful footballer, aided by his ability to play anywhere across the front line effectively, something which only a handful of player can do, so again, replacing that trait was also going to be very difficult. Suarez is the type of player, that no matter where he is on the pitch, when he was on the ball, we expected things to happen, we slid to the edge of our seats in anticipation. We were absolutely mesmerized by what he could do with the ball at his feet (and rightly so).

When it comes to replacing such a talent, there are obviously going to be doubts (no way can we replace him like-for-like, etc) and some of the names being banded about: Higuain, Cavani, Falcao, Bony etc, strike me more as players suited more to Sturridge's position, at the tip if attack, as opposed to the deeper lying/wider forward that Suarez was utilised as. In that respect, again, my point of a like-for-like replacement wouldn't be covered by any of these players IMHO. However, I am not in any way saying we should not sign them for that reason alone.

If we were to replace Suarez, the pool of players who could be brought in is small. Unless we signed a Reus, or a Tevez, there are just far too many qualities and sides to Suarez's game that it would be difficult and probably unrealistic to assume we could bring in a direct replacement.

I mentioned in another thread that Markovic is still young, has fantastic raw talent and looks to be developing into a great player. Would it be unrealistic to suggest he could be moulded into a player capable of playing anywhere across the front 3? I personally believe he could. But still, we need another striker, but the Markovic option would allow us to widen our options.

It's no secret we exceeded all expectation in the league last season and Suarez played a huge part in that. Now this season, with an increased number of games, and without Suarez, expectation has to be rational. I'm not saying we're not going to be anywhere near challenging for the league this season, as I believe we will, but I am merely stating that this season will be a different situation to last.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #90: Aug 11, 2014 05:16:30 pm
      Has anyone considered for a moment - and this is mainly directed at the imbeciles in the media - that if Sturridge gets injured, Sterling could readily take his place?

After all, we have plenty of depth in midfield - wouldn't at all surprise me to see Sterling moulded in that role.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #91: Aug 11, 2014 05:50:42 pm
      it is a conundrum isn't it because whoever comes in I would hate for Daniel to get his nose put out. I think he will be massive this year but he will not play all 60plus games will he.
      I like our signings so far I just hope that a striker will be as good as Lovren was on Sunday

Quick Reply